|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Freud find as the link of most neuroses?
2. What drug does Freud research?
3. What does Freud say about anyone who intends to give therapy?
4. What does Freud say about repressed material in relation to the patient?
5. What term does Freud give that describes people who confuse their fantasies for facts?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the three sexual preferences Freud discusses in great length and briefly describe them.
2. Why had sexuality been rejected prior to finding the cause of neuroses?
3. What was Charcot able to decipher in both men and women?
4. What does Freud's paper published in 1908 address?
5. Briefly describe the Vienna Psychoanalytic Society.
6. What are social withdrawals and irritability associated with according to Freud?
7. Who was 'Dora'?
8. What does Freud repeatedly write that he believes is innate in all of us?
9. In what language was Freud's original work written and how might this affect Freud's work?
10. What is happening to Anna O. that is making her sick?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the difference between pleasure the principle and the reality principle? Why do people that live under the pleasure principle confuse fantasy for fact? Give examples from the book and explain what ramifications this difference might have on a patient.
Essay Topic 2
When Freud writes about anxiety neuroses, what does he realize about it? Discuss what Freud suggests a therapist should do when repressed material comes up in a therapy session. Why is it important for a person giving therapy to also take advice?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss what Freud terms as 'periodic depression.' What symptoms are typically seen in people suffering from periodic depression? What does Freud say about the outcome of treatment in these patients? Support your statements with quotes from the text.
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)