|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the patient that makes her sick in "The Making of Psychoanalysis"?
2. What did the nicknamed patient repeatedly suffer from in "Character and Anal Eroticism"?
3. What does Freud find causes symptoms of mental illness to subside?
4. What does Freud hate?
5. What does Freud say is needed to understand human sexuality in "The Theory of Sexuality"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Freud suggest about children under five years old?
2. What are some of the conditions to having an effective psycho-analysis?
3. What did the doctor's find was making 'Dora' verge on suicidal behavior?
4. What is "Wild" Psycho-Analysis?
5. What symptoms did 'Dora' have after experiencing a sexual trauma?
6. Explain what was paradoxical about Freud's attitude toward philosophy.
7. Briefly describe why Sigmund Freud is important to the field of psychology.
8. What happens in the pre-pubescent latency period?
9. What happens in radical transformation?
10. What does Freud repeatedly write that he believes is innate in all of us?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe what a totem animal is. How is the idea of a totem animal relevant to Freud's work in the field of psychology? Give examples from the book and refer to secondary sources if you need clarification.
Essay Topic 2
What is the difference between pleasure the principle and the reality principle? Why do people that live under the pleasure principle confuse fantasy for fact? Give examples from the book and explain what ramifications this difference might have on a patient.
Essay Topic 3
What does Freud's overall purpose of psycho-analysis seem to be? How does he demonstrate that motivation through his work and research? What is the most important factor to receive the maximum benefits of psycho-analysis therapy?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)