|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through "Rope, Straw, and Feathers are to Sleep on".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Mrs. Lester Norton say that they changed the straw in her straw mattress?
(a) Whenever a new one is needed.
(b) Whenever it got flat.
(c) Thrashing time each year.
(d) Right before flu season hits.
2. Hickory was a very desirable wood but what was a drawback of this wood?
(a) It attracked termites.
(b) It would bow badly in humid weather.
(c) It was hard to work.
(d) It splintered out easily.
3. What would happen if the wood used in tight-fitting tools and other objects wasn't seasoned?
(a) The wood would shrink and pull away as it dried.
(b) The wood would begin to rot.
(c) The wood would draw insects to the fresh sap.
(d) The wood would warp and bend as it dried.
4. Why does Beulah say that she has had a possum head cooked for her in her past?
(a) Her father didn't believe in killing something for no reason.
(b) They wondered what it tasted like.
(c) As a reward for good behavior.
(d) Because they were hungry.
5. What year was Foxfire established?
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the earliest simple mattresses called?
2. Why does Aunt Arie explain that she doesn't want to cut the eye if she can help it?
3. Why is the wood for chairs usually gathered in the winter or fall?
4. What does Bill Lamb say a out the first chimney he ever built?
5. Why does the author, Paul Gillespie, say he is apprehensive about meeting Aunt Arie for the first time?
This section contains 360 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)