|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through "Mountain Recipes" and "Preserving Vegetables".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the wood for chairs usually gathered in the winter or fall?
(a) Because this is the time of year when the trees begin to slow their growing.
(b) It is the time best for allowing the trees to set out and cure.
(c) Because sap levels are lowest then.
(d) This is when the barks show the best woods.
2. What were the October Beans used as a substitute for?
(a) Soup beans.
(c) Black eyed peas.
3. Why does the author, Paul Gillespie, say he is apprehensive about meeting Aunt Arie for the first time?
(a) He had heard she was very ill.
(b) He believed she would not welcome him.
(c) He didn't know what to expect.
(d) He knew she was crazy.
4. What kind of grease does Pearl Martin say she usually likes to use in her soap, although you can use most any kind?
(a) Mutton tallow.
(b) Whatever she has on hand.
(c) Hog grease.
(d) Chicken grease.
5. What did the sign read when the students reached Lon Reid's property?
(a) Beware of Dogs.
(b) No trespassing.
(c) No revenuers.
(d) Beware of Bees.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of these is NOT used as an acceptable wood for making the chairs?
2. What does Aunt Arie ask the students to do when they walk into her house for the first time?
3. Why does Aunt Arie say she never left her home?
4. What has caused the loss of the fine art of building a genuine log cabin?
5. What kind of meat does Aunt Arie say she doesn't want?
This section contains 305 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)