|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What purpose does the Nomads' exhaustion from revolutionary change have?
(a) To spread wealth in the classes.
(b) To gain momentum in politics.
(c) To hurt other archetypes.
(d) To slow social change.
2. When was the Silent Generation born?
(a) Present day.
(b) 40s adn 50s.
(c) 50s and 60s.
(d) The 30s and 40s.
3. What did the Etruscans know?
(a) That history was cyclical.
(b) That other cultures were stronger than theirs.
(c) That food was sustainable.
(d) That money did not matter.
4. What happens during a first turning?
(a) Elder prophets die.
(b) Nomads are born.
(c) Artists become elders.
(d) Heroes are young adults.
5. What do cycles in major cultures share according to the authors?
(a) An idea of a male God.
(b) They follow several rules.
(c) A changing of clothing styles.
(d) A change in transportation.
Short Answer Questions
1. The authors say that present day Americans continue to acknowledge what periodic cycle?
2. How is Arnold Toynbee's cycle characterized?
3. What describes the Baby Boomers' educations according to the authors?
4. What happens during a second turning?
5. How do many historians record cycles?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the length of a saeculum in the United States significant?
2. What problems do the authors say ideologies bring?
3. What do First Turnings throughout history represent, according to the authors?
4. How do rhythms coexist with free will and the role of accidents?
5. Why is a First Turning called a 'high'?
6. Why do generations often define themselves against the shadow of the generation two steps prior to them, according to the authors?
7. Why does the name 'gray champion' fit an elder prophet?
8. According to the authors, why are Thomas Jefferson and Ronald Reagan considered heroes?
9. Why do the authors say present-day Americans have an image of America's First Turning as a 'high'?
10. As the authors present the information, why did the Second Turning come about at the time of Kennedy's assassination?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)