|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does a generation come to be recognized?
(a) When it finishes school.
(b) When it reaches young adulthood.
(c) When it has power.
(d) When it reproduces.
2. When is the cycle of archetypes formed according to the authors?
(a) During great harmony.
(b) Between opposing generations in the circle.
(c) During types of wealth.
(d) In years of war.
3. What do all major cultures acknowledge according to the authors?
(a) Artistic influences.
(b) Educational needs.
(c) Transportation necessities.
(d) Religious historical cycles.
4. When a time period produces a revolutionary change, what stage are the 'prophets'?
(c) Young adults.
5. How do generations often define themselves according to the authors?
(a) By whatever the media says about them.
(b) By the former generation.
(c) With their parents' generation.
(d) Against the shadow of the generation two steps prior to them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the authors' fear as the book opens?
2. How is Arnold Toynbee's cycle characterized?
3. What year does the book's introduction address?
4. How does the archetypal pattern begin?
5. Who controlled much of the world during the First Turning?
Short Essay Questions
1. Looking at the authors' information, why would the spirit of America decay during the Fourth Turning?
2. How did people behave when the book was written?
3. According to the authors, what happens differently from the Third Turning now in the Fourth Turning?
4. What should Americans do to prepare for the Fourth Turning according to the authors?
5. What are the authors' recommendations concerning seasonal activities?
6. According to the authors, what does it take to bring on a revolutionary change?
7. What do the authors think about the upcoming Fourth Turning?
8. Why do the authors think Americans do not recognize cycles?
9. What is so important about the Etruscans?
10. What is wrong with the generation in 1997 according to the book?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)