|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The repository manuals related to the sutras are called the _____.
2. The self is characterized as _____ in the early Upanisads.
3. In terms of karma, one's state of mind is important and constitutes a _____.
4. The Mahayana view of the universe is that, ultimately, only the _____ is real.
5. The great theme of the Perfection of Wisdom is _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the nature of bad action illustrated in Buddhism?
2. Why does the boddhisattva turn away from samsara and yet turn back to the world?
3. What is the Buddhist view of faith on the cognitive and effective modes?
4. What is dependent arising?
5. How is the term 'self' considered meaningless in Buddhism?
6. What did the Buddha do after performing the miracle after his awakening?
7. What does Nagasena tell the king about the self?
8. What is the legend of Megha?
9. What is causal connectedness?
10. What did the Buddha say of the beginning of samsara?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain samasara. What is its role in Buddhism?
Essay Topic 2
Explain nirvana in Buddhism. What is this? How is it reached?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the life of the Buddha. What sort of family did he come from? How did he become the Buddha?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)