|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Some of the teachings of the Buddha are expressed in conventional terms, and others are expressed in _____ terms.
2. All Buddhism knows the story of the ascetic, _____.
3. To understand the duhkha is precisely to reach the _____ of the world.
4. The lam rim in _____ Buddhism is called the gradual path.
5. Atman is the Sanskrit word for self or _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens as the path of the bodhisattva progresses?
2. How is faith compared to a gem and a stream in Buddhism?
3. What is the legend of Megha?
4. Why was vegetarianism not an explicit tenet of early Buddhism? What questions did this bring up?
5. How is the term 'self' considered meaningless in Buddhism?
6. What is dependent arising?
7. What is access concentration in meditation?
8. What miracle did the Buddha perform after his awakening?
9. What is causal connectedness?
10. How are the lower and higher realms of existence different from each other in Buddhism?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the life of the Buddha. What sort of family did he come from? How did he become the Buddha?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Indian renouncer tradition. What do people who undertake this tradition do? Why do they do this?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of Mara in Buddhism. What did he do? Whom does he compare to in Christianity? Why?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)