|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the Buddha sit twenty-one days after his awakening?
2. Atman is the Sanskrit word for self or _____.
3. The linking of different lives into a causal series is understood as a particular function of _____.
4. One of the four elements in Buddhism is _____.
5. To understand the duhkha is precisely to reach the _____ of the world.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the Buddha do after performing the miracle after his awakening?
2. What are the five precepts of the lay followers in Buddhism?
3. How is the nature of bad action illustrated in Buddhism?
4. What is the wheel of becoming?
5. How is world contraction described according to the Abhidharma?
6. What did the Buddha say of the beginning of samsara?
7. What is access concentration in meditation?
8. What miracle did the Buddha perform after his awakening?
9. What two things does abhidharma refer to in Buddhist tradition?
10. What is causal connectedness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role of nuns in Buddhism. How did women come to be a part of this tradition?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the relationship between the Sangha and the state. How did the Sangha relate to kings in history, particularly Asoka?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the life of the Buddha. What sort of family did he come from? How did he become the Buddha?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)