|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. _____ are regarded as ultimate bits of matter, which is similar in concept to dharma.
2. The moment of attaining one of the paths and fruits of stream-attainment is called _____.
3. Skandhas are _____ of physical and mental events.
4. One of the basic critiques of self in Buddhism that implies a constant that Buddhism believes is not constant is _____.
5. Where did the Buddha sit twenty-one days after his awakening?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the nature of bad action illustrated in Buddhism?
2. What is the legend of Megha?
3. How are the thirty-one levels of existence classified? Who resides in these realms?
4. How are the lower and higher realms of existence different from each other in Buddhism?
5. What did the Buddha say of the beginning of samsara?
6. Why does the boddhisattva turn away from samsara and yet turn back to the world?
7. Why is stilling the mind an integral goal of Buddhist meditation?
8. What is access concentration in meditation?
9. What two things does abhidharma refer to in Buddhist tradition?
10. What components, according to Buddhist thought, comprise a world-sphere?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the oral tradition of Buddhism. Why is it considered an oral tradition?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the life of the Buddha. What sort of family did he come from? How did he become the Buddha?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of dharma. How does this relate to Buddhism?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)