|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The notion of self is born of _____.
2. The lam rim in _____ Buddhism is called the gradual path.
3. What are devas?
4. Skandhas are _____ of physical and mental events.
5. The Buddhist attitude toward good conduct and the suggestion of adherence to moral principles for their own sake may be an expression of _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the five precepts of the lay followers in Buddhism?
2. What miracle did the Buddha perform after his awakening?
3. How is the nature of bad action illustrated in Buddhism?
4. What did the Buddha say of the beginning of samsara?
5. Why does the boddhisattva turn away from samsara and yet turn back to the world?
6. What is dependent arising?
7. How are the thirty-one levels of existence classified? Who resides in these realms?
8. How is world contraction described according to the Abhidharma?
9. How does the sense of self spring from delusion?
10. Why was vegetarianism not an explicit tenet of early Buddhism? What questions did this bring up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the three main activities that the wanderers and ascetics primarily engaged in. Why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the life of the Buddha. What sort of family did he come from? How did he become the Buddha?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the ordination ceremony of the Sangha.
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)