|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Samsara is _____.
2. Though the precise form of the earliest Buddhist devotions is unclear, it is know that they revolved around the worship of _____.
3. Atman is the Sanskrit word for self or _____.
4. What are devas?
5. Meditation is the cultivation of _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the thirty-one levels of existence classified? Who resides in these realms?
2. How is faith compared to a gem and a stream in Buddhism?
3. What are the five precepts of the lay followers in Buddhism?
4. Why does the boddhisattva turn away from samsara and yet turn back to the world?
5. What is causal connectedness?
6. What did the Buddha say of the beginning of samsara?
7. How does the sense of self spring from delusion?
8. Why was vegetarianism not an explicit tenet of early Buddhism? What questions did this bring up?
9. Why is stilling the mind an integral goal of Buddhist meditation?
10. What is the Buddhist view of faith on the cognitive and effective modes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain samasara. What is its role in Buddhism?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of Mara in Buddhism. What did he do? Whom does he compare to in Christianity? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of dharma. How does this relate to Buddhism?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)