|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Visuddhimagga is the Path of ____.
2. Where was W.C. Peppe digging on his estate in India?
3. The _____ school of Buddhism in the sixth and seventh centuries was suspicious of theoretical formulations regarding the practice of Buddhism.
4. How many days after the Bodhisattva was born did his mother die?
5. One of the three fundamental defilements in Buddhism is _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the features of Tibetan Buddhism?
2. Why does the author say that he wrote this book on Buddhism?
3. What effect did the meeting of Buddha Dipamkara have on Sumedha?
4. How is bodhi characterized?
5. What is the psychological relationship of aversion to craving?
6. What is the significance of celibacy in the life of a monk?
7. Why does the Buddhist saint not harm living creatures?
8. According to the author, what does the term 'Buddhism' refer to?
9. Why is stealing not permitted by a monk?
10. Why did the Buddha possibly refuse to give categorical answers to the ten undetermined questions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain samasara. What is its role in Buddhism?
Essay Topic 2
Explain Abhidharma. What does this word mean? How does it appear in texts? What is its significance in Buddhism?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the Indian renouncer tradition. What do people who undertake this tradition do? Why do they do this?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)