|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the word duhkha mean?
2. The matrkas are a summary of _____ lists of significant points of Buddha's teaching.
3. One of the ten rules of training for a monk involves refraining from false _____.
4. One of the ten rules of training for a monk involves refraining from _____.
5. How many days after the Bodhisattva was born did his mother die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author say about satya in relation to a Buddhist creed?
2. What does the author say is the 'textbook' view of Buddhism?
3. What is the precursor to the Indian caste system?
4. Which offenses can result in a probationary period involving loss of full status as a member of the Sangha by a monk?
5. Why does the Buddhist saint not harm living creatures?
6. According to the author, what does the term 'Buddhism' refer to?
7. What effect did the meeting of Buddha Dipamkara have on Sumedha?
8. What is a bhiksu and how is this different from an upasampada?
9. What are the Nikayas/Agamas?
10. What is the general Buddhist and Indian world view concerning life and death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the Indian renouncer tradition. What do people who undertake this tradition do? Why do they do this?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of dharma. How does this relate to Buddhism?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the oral tradition of Buddhism. Why is it considered an oral tradition?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)