|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Buddhism does not involve the belief in a _____.
2. What are stupas?
3. Vinaya is the word Buddhists use for _____.
4. Craving is understood to be the crystallization of _____.
5. East Asian Buddhism has coexisted with Confucianism, Taoism, Shinto, and more recently but less happily, _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the psychological relationship of aversion to craving?
2. What is the general Buddhist and Indian world view concerning life and death?
3. Who are the four great authorities in Buddhism? Why would a monk go to them?
4. How does the author compare Buddha and the four truths to modern medicine?
5. How does the author feel he acts as a spokesman for Buddhism?
6. What are some of the features of Tibetan Buddhism?
7. How were the first Buddhist nuns acknowledged? What was the reaction of the Buddha to this?
8. Why is stealing not permitted by a monk?
9. What effect did the meeting of Buddha Dipamkara have on Sumedha?
10. Why has the prominence of the ancient oral traditions concerning Buddhism changed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the ordination ceremony of the Sangha.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of Mara in Buddhism. What did he do? Whom does he compare to in Christianity? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the Indian renouncer tradition. What do people who undertake this tradition do? Why do they do this?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)