|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According the the author, what lies at the heart of Buddhism is _____.
2. What form of ritual was carried out at the death of the Buddha?
3. There is a Pali version of the Nikayama/Agama and a _____ translation contained in the Tripitaka.
4. The history of Buddhism stretches over _____ years.
5. One of the three fundamental defilements in Buddhism is _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. How is bodhi characterized?
2. Why has the prominence of the ancient oral traditions concerning Buddhism changed?
3. What is the significance of celibacy in the life of a monk?
4. What language did the Buddha use to communicate his ideas and why?
5. Why is stealing not permitted by a monk?
6. What are some of the features of Tibetan Buddhism?
7. Why does the Buddhist saint not harm living creatures?
8. Which offenses can result in a probationary period involving loss of full status as a member of the Sangha by a monk?
9. How were the first Buddhist nuns acknowledged? What was the reaction of the Buddha to this?
10. What are the Nikayas/Agamas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of dharma. How does this relate to Buddhism?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Theraveda tradition of Buddhism. Where is it practiced? How does it relate in doctrine and practice to ancient Buddhism?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of Mara in Buddhism. What did he do? Whom does he compare to in Christianity? Why?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)