|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long have people been wandering through samsara?
2. The sravaka in the Mahayana tradition is a _____.
(b) Lay person.
(c) Fallen monk.
3. Buddhist devotional and ritual acts are generally seen as having a _____ quality.
4. Meditation is the cultivation of _____.
(a) Dependent arising.
5. An _____ is a being from a lower realm of existence in Buddhist cosmology.
(c) Astral traveler.
Short Answer Questions
1. In a sutta in the Pali canon, the Buddha is said to have thirty-two _____.
2. To whom did the Buddha teach dharma after he performed the miracle after his awakening?
3. As a system of thought, Abhidharma is to be contrasted with the system of _____ of the Buddha.
4. The Buddha apparently approved of worship at _____.
5. What are devas?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the Buddha do after performing the miracle after his awakening?
2. What is access concentration in meditation?
3. Why does the boddhisattva turn away from samsara and yet turn back to the world?
4. How is the nature of bad action illustrated in Buddhism?
5. What is the Buddhist view of faith on the cognitive and effective modes?
6. Why is stilling the mind an integral goal of Buddhist meditation?
7. What is bhavanga?
8. How is world contraction described according to the Abhidharma?
9. What happens as the path of the bodhisattva progresses?
10. What does Nagasena tell the king about the self?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)