|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did the Buddha sit twenty-one days after his awakening?
(a) The House of Karma.
(b) The House of Candles.
(c) The House of Jewels.
(d) The House of Dharma.
2. The great theme of the Perfection of Wisdom is _____.
3. A _____ is a being from a lower realm of existence in Buddhist cosmology.
(a) Hungry ghost.
(c) Happy human.
(d) Lost angel.
4. Abhidharma captures the very essence of dharma, which means that its sound can almost operate as a _____.
5. The Brahmajala Sutta is a discourse on the ____.
(a) Supreme net.
(b) Total being.
(d) Karmic wheel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are devas?
2. In Buddhism, the truth underlying reality is _____.
3. Good conduct is seen in Buddhism as auspicious action or _____.
4. The Buddhist attitude toward good conduct and the suggestion of adherence to moral principles for their own sake may be an expression of _____.
5. A Tathagata teaches that _____ has a beautiful beginning, a beautiful middle, and a beautiful ending.
Short Essay Questions
1. What miracle did the Buddha perform after his awakening?
2. What is the legend of Megha?
3. Why was vegetarianism not an explicit tenet of early Buddhism? What questions did this bring up?
4. What is causal connectedness?
5. How is the term 'self' considered meaningless in Buddhism?
6. How is world contraction described according to the Abhidharma?
7. What does Nagasena tell the king about the self?
8. Why does the boddhisattva turn away from samsara and yet turn back to the world?
9. What is access concentration in meditation?
10. What are the five precepts of the lay followers in Buddhism?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)