|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the word duhkha mean?
2. The followers of Sarvastivada Abhidaharma argue that nirvana should be regarded as _____.
(b) A defilement.
(c) A creed.
3. The life of the wandering monk assumes sufficient _____ of the surrounding community.
(a) Laissez faire.
(c) Good will.
4. Sthaviras is a Buddhist term that refers to ______________.
5. The Vinaya contains _____ for the corporate acts of the monastic collective.
(c) Historical perspective.
Short Answer Questions
1. One of the ancient and recurring images in Indian religious discourse is of _____.
2. The _____ school of Buddhism in the sixth and seventh centuries was suspicious of theoretical formulations regarding the practice of Buddhism.
3. The Theravada tradition of Sri Lanka and South-East Asia is called _____ Buddhism.
4. The Tibetan Kanjur and _____ canon were translated between the seventh and thirteenth centuries.
5. Mahinda was a Buddhist monk who was the son of the emperor _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. How is bodhi characterized?
2. What does the author say about the nature of Buddhism's influence on the world?
3. How is food addressed in the Vinaya?
4. What is the responsibility of a Buddha regarding teaching?
5. Why is stealing not permitted by a monk?
6. Why did the Buddha possibly refuse to give categorical answers to the ten undetermined questions?
7. What is the significance of celibacy in the life of a monk?
8. How did the Buddha respond when Malunkya said he would stop training with him if he didn't answer the ten undetermined questions?
9. How were the first Buddhist nuns acknowledged? What was the reaction of the Buddha to this?
10. How does the author compare Buddha and the four truths to modern medicine?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)