|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tibetan Buddhism is sometimes called _____ Buddhism.
2. How old is Buddhism?
(a) A thousand years.
(b) Five hundred years.
(c) Ten thousand years.
(d) Two and a half millennia.
3. One of the ten rules of training for a monk involves refraining from eating _____.
(a) Before sunrise.
(b) After midday.
(c) During a full moon.
(d) On Sunday.
4. What are stupas?
(a) Indian burial mounds.
(b) Indian prayer rites.
(c) Indian writings.
(d) Indian saints.
5. The oldest portion of the Vedas is called the _____.
(d) Rg Veda.
Short Answer Questions
1. One of a monk's four basic resources is a robe made of _____.
2. Craving is understood to be the crystallization of _____.
3. Vinaya is the word Buddhists use for _____.
4. The word sutra literally means _____.
5. What is the framework which underlies all later Buddhist thought called?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the psychological relationship of aversion to craving?
2. According to the author, what does the term 'Buddhism' refer to?
3. What are some of the features of Tibetan Buddhism?
4. How is bodhi characterized?
5. Why does the Buddhist saint not harm living creatures?
6. What does the author say about the nature of Buddhism's influence on the world?
7. What effect did the meeting of Buddha Dipamkara have on Sumedha?
8. How were the first Buddhist nuns acknowledged? What was the reaction of the Buddha to this?
9. What does the author say about satya in relation to a Buddhist creed?
10. What does the author say is the 'textbook' view of Buddhism?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)