|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did W.C. Peppe find when he was digging on his estate in India?
(a) A soapstone vase.
(b) An ivory talisman.
(c) A bronze statue.
(d) A quartz ball.
2. What does the word buddha mean?
(a) One who has awakened.
(b) One who has eaten of the fruit.
(c) One who has opened his heart.
(d) One who has dreamed reality.
3. The word sutra literally means _____.
4. One of the ten rules of training for a monk involves refraining from _____ which cause heedlessness.
(a) Free will.
(d) Ego trips.
5. The five aggregates of _____ are suffering.
Short Answer Questions
1. One of the ten rules of training for a monk involves refraining from handling _____.
2. One of the ancient and recurring images in Indian religious discourse is of _____.
3. The author concentrates on sustained expositions of Buddhist _____.
4. One of the noble truths regarding the origin of suffering is the _____ existence.
5. Samsara is known as the circle of _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was the oral tradition of communicating the concept of dharma considered to be more accurate than the written tradition by some people?
2. According to the author, what does the term 'Buddhism' refer to?
3. Why does the author believe that there is some basis in history for the existence of the Buddha?
4. Why does the Buddhist saint not harm living creatures?
5. What is the responsibility of a Buddha regarding teaching?
6. Who are the four great authorities in Buddhism? Why would a monk go to them?
7. What is the psychological relationship of aversion to craving?
8. How did the Buddha respond when Malunkya said he would stop training with him if he didn't answer the ten undetermined questions?
9. What are the Nikayas/Agamas?
10. How was the Rig Veda communicated orally?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)