|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. One of the ten rules of training for a monk involves refraining from wearing _____.
2. Craving is understood to be the crystallization of _____.
3. The word sutra literally means _____.
4. Edward Conze pointed out that it took over two thousand years and a couple of Western converts to provide Buddhism with a _____.
5. The public concern of Buddhism was living by _____, not doctrinal conformity.
(a) Monastic rules.
(b) Ritual oblation.
(c) Vegan laws.
(d) Common language.
Short Answer Questions
1. One of the three fundamental defilements in Buddhism is _____.
2. One of the noble truths regarding the origin of suffering is the _____ existence.
3. According the the author, what lies at the heart of Buddhism is _____.
4. The followers of Sarvastivada Abhidaharma argue that nirvana should be regarded as _____.
5. The religious tradition of Buddhism, at the time of the writing of the book, was followed by over _____ people.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is stealing not permitted by a monk?
2. What does the author say is the 'textbook' view of Buddhism?
3. How were the first Buddhist nuns acknowledged? What was the reaction of the Buddha to this?
4. Which offenses can result in a probationary period involving loss of full status as a member of the Sangha by a monk?
5. What is the psychological relationship of aversion to craving?
6. What does the author say about satya in relation to a Buddhist creed?
7. According to the author, what does the term 'Buddhism' refer to?
8. How is food addressed in the Vinaya?
9. Why does the author say that he wrote this book on Buddhism?
10. Why was the oral tradition of communicating the concept of dharma considered to be more accurate than the written tradition by some people?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)