|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What the Buddha taught is often referred to in the early texts as a system of _____.
2. The Sangha is _____ of monks and nuns.
(a) A holy book.
(b) A prison.
(c) A ritual.
(d) An order.
3. The coming of the _____ into India did not bring political unity, but brought ideology that affected Indian culture.
4. One of the three fundamental defilements in Buddhism is _____.
5. One of the ten rules of training for a monk involves refraining from wearing _____.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mahayana Buddhism is classified by the author as _____.
2. The word trsna means _____.
3. What is the framework which underlies all later Buddhist thought called?
4. There is a Pali version of the Nikayama/Agama and a _____ translation contained in the Tripitaka.
5. One of the ten rules of training for a monk involves refraining from eating _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the author, what does the term 'Buddhism' refer to?
2. What are the Nikayas/Agamas?
3. How did the Buddha respond when Malunkya said he would stop training with him if he didn't answer the ten undetermined questions?
4. What is the general Buddhist and Indian world view concerning life and death?
5. How were the first Buddhist nuns acknowledged? What was the reaction of the Buddha to this?
6. What is a bhiksu and how is this different from an upasampada?
7. Why is stealing not permitted by a monk?
8. Why has the prominence of the ancient oral traditions concerning Buddhism changed?
9. What effect did the meeting of Buddha Dipamkara have on Sumedha?
10. Why does the author say that he wrote this book on Buddhism?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)