|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In terms of karma, one's state of mind is important and constitutes a _____.
(a) False promise.
(d) Real deed.
2. As a system of thought, Abhidharma is to be contrasted with the system of _____ of the Buddha.
3. In the Mahayana tradition, sutras set out the stages of the _____.
(a) Karmic wheel.
(b) Levels of consciousness.
(c) Planes of dharma.
(d) Bodhisattva path.
4. The classifying and sorting of experiences is called _____.
5. The implications when using the word 'I' in a sentence is that it is a _____.
6. In Buddhism, the truth underlying reality is _____.
7. One of the five hindrances is _____.
8. The Mahayana Lankavatara Sutra explicitly argues against _____.
(a) Meat eating.
(b) Running after ghosts.
(c) Watching children.
(d) Holding fire ceremonies.
9. To understand the duhkha is precisely to reach the _____ of the world.
10. The four _____ are from the realm of the Supreme Gods.
(a) Great Brahmas.
(b) Gods who Delight in Creation.
(c) Contented Gods.
(d) Yama Gods.
11. One of the basic critiques of self in Buddhism that implies a constant that Buddhism believes is not constant is _____.
12. The dhyanas are levels of _____.
13. The Buddha apparently approved of worship at _____.
(a) City centers.
(b) Sacrificial altars.
(c) Non-Buddhist shrines.
14. An _____ is a being from a lower realm of existence in Buddhist cosmology.
(c) Astral traveler.
15. The Buddha of early texts may have been critical of Brahmanical ritual due to the involvement of _____ in these rituals.
(a) Animal sacrifice.
(b) The use of fire.
(c) Human sacrifice.
(d) The use of hallucingens.
Short Answer Questions
1. The self is characterized as _____ in the early Upanisads.
2. An awareness of ourselves as thinking subjects is called _____.
3. At the center of a cakra-vada is the great _____.
4. The Brahmajala Sutta is a discourse on the ____.
5. One of the five hindrances is _____.
This section contains 334 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)