|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According the the author, what lies at the heart of Buddhism is _____.
2. The Buddha is the author of _____ books and treatises.
3. Some three months after the death of the Buddha, 500 arhats took part in a _____.
(a) Silent meditation.
(b) Communial recitation.
(c) Vedic sacrifice.
(d) Fire ritual.
4. The tradition of Mahayana Buddhism found in China, Korea, Japan, and Vietnam is called _____ Buddhism.
5. The Bodhisattva was conceived on the _____ night of Asadha, or July.
(a) Full moon.
6. One of the ten rules of training for a monk involves refraining from sleeping _____.
(a) Elevated above the ground.
(b) On the ground.
(c) On luxurious beds.
(d) On straw.
7. There are _____ Nikayas.
8. The religious tradition of Buddhism, at the time of the writing of the book, was followed by over _____ people.
(a) 20 million.
(b) 200 million.
(c) 2 billion.
(d) 100 million.
9. According to the author, Buddhism is typically seen as a history of _____ Theravada Buddhism.
10. According to the author, Christianity can be explained as a system of _____.
11. One of the ten rules of training for a monk involves refraining from eating _____.
(a) On Sunday.
(b) Before sunrise.
(c) During a full moon.
(d) After midday.
12. The three types of suffering are pain, change, and _____.
13. The river that flows through the area where the Buddha gathered a following is called _____.
(a) The Tigris.
(b) The Ganges.
(c) The Krishna.
(d) The Euphrates.
14. At the writing of the book, the author taught introductory courses on Buddhism at a _____.
(b) Prep school.
(c) New age research center.
15. What is the framework which underlies all later Buddhist thought called?
Short Answer Questions
1. One of the ten rules of training for a monk involves refraining from _____ which cause heedlessness.
2. What did W.C. Peppe find when he was digging on his estate in India?
3. The coming of the _____ into India did not bring political unity, but brought ideology that affected Indian culture.
4. Edward Conze pointed out that it took over two thousand years and a couple of Western converts to provide Buddhism with a _____.
5. There is a Pali version of the Nikayama/Agama and a _____ translation contained in the Tripitaka.
This section contains 392 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)