|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the word duhkha mean?
2. One of the ten rules of training for a monk involves refraining from handling _____.
(a) Cadmium and titanium.
(b) Gold and silver.
(c) Copper and lead.
(d) Nickel and iron.
3. The _____ school of Buddhism in the sixth and seventh centuries was suspicious of theoretical formulations regarding the practice of Buddhism.
(c) Japanese Zen.
4. One of the ten rules of training for a monk involves refraining from using _____.
(a) Skin oils.
(c) A toothbrush.
5. Where was W.C. Peppe digging on his estate in India?
(a) Into a well.
(b) Into a mound.
(c) Under his stables.
(d) Under his house.
6. Some three months after the death of the Buddha, 500 arhats took part in a _____.
(a) Fire ritual.
(b) Vedic sacrifice.
(c) Silent meditation.
(d) Communial recitation.
7. One of a monk's four basic resources is medicine made of _____.
(a) Fermented urine.
(b) Boiled tree bark.
(c) The skin of frogs.
(d) Masticated birch leaves.
8. The aspect of change that makes the world a place of suffering is _____.
9. The followers of Sarvastivada Abhidaharma argue that nirvana should be regarded as _____.
(b) A defilement.
(d) A creed.
10. East Asian Buddhism has coexisted with Confucianism, Taoism, Shinto, and more recently but less happily, _____.
11. The three types of suffering are pain, change, and _____.
12. The Theravading Vinaya specifies that the candidate for pravrajya must be old enough to _____.
(a) Walk a tight rope.
(b) Measure the stars.
(c) Eat from a bowl.
(d) Scare crows away.
13. The life of the wandering monk assumes sufficient _____ of the surrounding community.
(a) Good will.
(c) Laissez faire.
14. What did W.C. Peppe find when he was digging on his estate in India?
(a) A bronze statue.
(b) An ivory talisman.
(c) A soapstone vase.
(d) A quartz ball.
15. The Buddha is the author of _____ books and treatises.
Short Answer Questions
1. One of the three fundamental defilements in Buddhism is _____.
2. One of a monk's four basic resources is lodging _____.
3. There is a Pali version of the Nikayama/Agama and a _____ translation contained in the Tripitaka.
4. One of the ten rules of training for a monk involves refraining from false _____.
5. The Sangha is _____ of monks and nuns.
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)