|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was W.C. Peppe digging on his estate in India?
2. One of the ten rules of training for a monk involves refraining from using _____.
(a) Skin oils.
(d) A toothbrush.
3. One of a monk's four basic resources is medicine made of _____.
(a) Masticated birch leaves.
(b) Fermented urine.
(c) Boiled tree bark.
(d) The skin of frogs.
4. Arhats are the names of Buddhist _____.
5. Asoka, the great _____ king, was thought to have been consecrated 218 years after the death of the Buddha.
6. The five aggregates of _____ are suffering.
7. One of a monk's four basic resources is a robe made of _____.
(a) Sheets of bleached cotton.
(b) Discarded rags.
(d) Red-dyed wool.
8. Mahayana Buddhism is classified by the author as _____.
9. The _____ school of Buddhism in the sixth and seventh centuries was suspicious of theoretical formulations regarding the practice of Buddhism.
(a) Japanese Zen.
10. The term sramana means _____.
(a) One who breathes life.
(b) One who strives.
(c) One who sits.
(d) One who eats fruit.
11. One of the ten rules of training for a monk involves refraining from _____.
(a) Eating rice.
(b) Eating with utensils.
(c) Walking with shoes on.
(d) Harming living creatures.
12. According to the author, Buddhism is typically seen as a history of _____ Theravada Buddhism.
13. The three types of suffering are pain, change, and _____.
14. The Buddha is the author of _____ books and treatises.
15. The oldest portion of the Vedas is called the _____.
(b) Rg Veda.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mahinda was a Buddhist monk who was the son of the emperor _____.
2. The public concern of Buddhism was living by _____, not doctrinal conformity.
3. What the Buddha taught is often referred to in the early texts as a system of _____.
4. What does the word buddha mean?
5. Sthaviras is a Buddhist term that refers to ______________.
This section contains 349 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)