|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, The Buddhist Community, Monks, Nuns, and Lay Followers.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. One of the three fundamental defilements in Buddhism is _____.
2. One of the ancient and recurring images in Indian religious discourse is of _____.
(a) Crossing the ocean of existence.
(b) Reading from written scripture.
(c) Eating the fruit of knowledge.
(d) Sacrificial dance on the full moon.
3. The Bodhisattva's mother dreamed of a _____ carrying a lotus on the night he was conceived.
(b) White elephant.
(c) Blue monkey.
(d) Great warrior.
4. The word bodhi means _____.
5. The Nikayama/Agama are collections of sutras or _____.
Short Answer Questions
1. The scholar Etienne Lamotte was from _____.
2. What are stupas?
3. The _____ school of Buddhism in the sixth and seventh centuries was suspicious of theoretical formulations regarding the practice of Buddhism.
4. Sthaviras is a Buddhist term that refers to ______________.
5. The author's aim in writing the book was to act as a _____ for the principles of Buddhism.
This section contains 169 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)