|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Four Truths, The Disease, the Cause, the Cure, the Medicine.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The various Indo-Aryan dialects, the vernacular of Buddha's time, are known as _____.
2. What does the word buddha mean?
(a) One who has eaten of the fruit.
(b) One who has dreamed reality.
(c) One who has opened his heart.
(d) One who has awakened.
3. The Bodhisattva was conceived on the _____ night of Asadha, or July.
(b) Full moon.
4. The tradition of Mahayana Buddhism found in China, Korea, Japan, and Vietnam is called _____ Buddhism.
5. One of the ancient and recurring images in Indian religious discourse is of _____.
(a) Eating the fruit of knowledge.
(b) Reading from written scripture.
(c) Sacrificial dance on the full moon.
(d) Crossing the ocean of existence.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Theravada tradition is classified by the author as _____.
2. The three defilements are also known as _____.
3. The history of Buddhism stretches over _____ years.
4. The coming of the _____ into India did not bring political unity, but brought ideology that affected Indian culture.
5. East Asian Buddhism has coexisted with Confucianism, Taoism, Shinto, and more recently but less happily, _____.
This section contains 184 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)