|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the group walk to the ship?
2. What does the HMS Shannon do?
3. Who goes into the hotel to retrieve Maturin and Villiers?
4. Why is Maturin going to marry Villiers?
5. How does Johnson respond to news of the assault on Maturin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think is interesting about the fact that Johnson spends large sums of money and time gathering intelligence for the United States and is it likely that someone would do that in this age?
2. What is Mr. Herapath's task in the scheme to effect an escape for Villiers, Aubrey and Maturin and how does he fail at it? What does this say about Mr. Herapath?
3. What does Maturin find in Johnson's papers and what is the implication?
4. How does George Herapath's attitude towards Wogan seem ironic or hypocritical?
5. Why is Mr. Herapath so happy to hear that Villiers is leaving the United States?
6. How does Maturin explain his engagement to Villiers to Aubrey and what does this engagement say about Maturin's character?
7. Why would Maturin and Johnson have a discussion about birds and how does this discussion enhance the playful tone of the novel?
8. Who ambushes Maturin and what is humorous about his actions?
9. How does Michael Herapath earn a living and why is this odd?
10. Why does Maturin hedge about being an agent even though he has no intention of accepting the position?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Maturin acts as a covert agency for the Crown and in the previous book, gives Wogan false intelligence that results in several French intelligence agents being killed as double agents. Discuss the following:
1. What sort of covert operations does Maturin undertake? How similar do you think his covert operations are to that of an organization such as the CIA of today?
2. How much does Maturin's covert operations how he and Aubrey fare in Boston after being captured by the Americans?
3. Do you see any conflict of interests between being a doctor and also a covert operator? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 2
When Aubrey arrives in Boston and leaves the USS Constitution, Evans presents a purse of money to Aubrey, which is a collection taken up among the men. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think the "enemy" gives Aubrey money, when likely they had not much themselves?
2. What do you think prompts generosity to strangers?
3. Do you think more people are generous to homeless persons collecting money on street corners or to more structured charities? Defend your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Though this novel is probably more action driven rather than character driven, obviously there are several characters who make the novel what it is. Discuss one of the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Aubrey and Lambert.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Maturin and McLean.
3. Thoroughly analyze the character of Jack Aubrey, discussing both his strong and weak points and how both affect the outcome of the plot.
This section contains 1,102 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)