|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is full of double entendre between Johnson and Maturin?
2. What is likely to happen with the escape of Aubrey and Maturin?
3. What does Aubrey show Maturin later in the day after the attempted abduction?
4. How does Maturin know Wogan does not suspect him of any treachery from their last encounter?
5. How does Johnson respond to news of the assault on Maturin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is one thing that is perhaps likable about George Herapath?
2. What does Maturin do that seems contrary to his work as a doctor?
3. Why would Maturin and Johnson have a discussion about birds and how does this discussion enhance the playful tone of the novel?
4. Why does Maturin hedge about being an agent even though he has no intention of accepting the position?
5. Who is Harry Johnson and what is his connection to Wogan?
6. Why do you think Aubrey feels it is justified to violate his "parole," which he gives as an officer and gentleman?
7. What is Mr. Herapath's task in the scheme to effect an escape for Villiers, Aubrey and Maturin and how does he fail at it? What does this say about Mr. Herapath?
8. What does Maturin find in Johnson's papers and what is the implication?
9. Why is Mr. Herapath so happy to hear that Villiers is leaving the United States?
10. Who ambushes Maturin and what is humorous about his actions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Fortune of War is one book in a series of novels involving Captain Aubrey and Dr. Maturin. Discuss the following?
1. What is one advantage of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
2. What is a disadvantage of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
3. Do you prefer to read a standalone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
4. Do you think it is easier or more difficult (or about the same) to write a standalone book versus one in a series? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Along with superstitions, the ships crew seem to find mystical meanings in various symbols. Discuss the following:
1. What are six symbols in THE FORTUNE IN WAR and their meanings. Are the meanings logical or based upon superstitions?
2. Discuss three metaphors in the novel and their impact on the understanding of the plot.
3. Discuss O'Brian's narrative style as it applies to his descriptions. Is his style effective? Interesting? Lively?
Essay Topic 3
Though the author O'Brian may or may not have such personal views on women, the way women are characterized in his naval series is often less than complimentary. Discuss one of the following:
1. Present and analyze the treatment of women in THE FORTUNE OF WAR.
2. O'Brian is trying to be historically accurate, so is his treatment of women in his book(s) justified?
3. Is there any way O'Brian could have presented women in a more positive light and still stayed historically accurate? Explain.
This section contains 1,204 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)