|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Upon whom does George Herapath dote?
2. Where does George Herapath live during the American Revolutionary War?
3. Who continues to recruit Maturin?
4. Who is Philip Broke?
5. Who does Wogan blame for the false information she gives the Americans?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Maturin think Wogan does not know he disseminated bad intelligence and what do you think he should do about it?
2. What is one thing that is perhaps likable about George Herapath?
3. Why is Mr. Herapath so happy to hear that Villiers is leaving the United States?
4. Who is Harry Johnson and what is his connection to Wogan?
5. What happens to Maturin in Chapter 7 that makes it obvious that he needs to come up with a viable escape plan very soon?
6. What does Maturin do that seems contrary to his work as a doctor?
7. Why would Maturin and Johnson have a discussion about birds and how does this discussion enhance the playful tone of the novel?
8. How does Maturin explain his engagement to Villiers to Aubrey and what does this engagement say about Maturin's character?
9. How does Maturin figure out that he has been identified as the intelligence officer and what is the implication?
10. About what does Maturin caution Villiers and why do you think he does so?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Aubrey and his boat of men are finally rescued by the HMS Java, it is mentioned in passing that Raikes' body was gnawed upon--the suggestion is that one or more of the men ate some of Raikes' flesh to stave off starvation. Discuss one of the following:
1. What sort of actions are and are not justified in order to survive?
2. What are the psychological and mental characteristics do you think a person has to possess in order to survive under extreme circumstances?
3. Do you think you would survive an extreme situation? Why or why not? Discuss fully.
Essay Topic 2
Along with superstitions, the ships crew seem to find mystical meanings in various symbols. Discuss the following:
1. What are six symbols in THE FORTUNE IN WAR and their meanings. Are the meanings logical or based upon superstitions?
2. Discuss three metaphors in the novel and their impact on the understanding of the plot.
3. Discuss O'Brian's narrative style as it applies to his descriptions. Is his style effective? Interesting? Lively?
Essay Topic 3
Sailors are notoriously superstitious. Even Aubrey, though very bright in many ways, is somewhat superstitious, a trait common to many sailors. Discuss the following:
1. What is superstition? Can you name a few common superstitions? Do any of them seem to have any validity in logic?
2. Why do you think sailors have the reputation for being superstitious? Do you think it is true? What superstitions are mentioned in THE FORTUNE OF WAR?
3. What are some of the superstitions you are familiar with that sailors seem to believe? Do you believe any of them? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,044 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)