|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the HMS Shannon do?
(a) Attacks the docks in the Boston harbor.
(b) Signals with lanterns to Aubrey.
(c) Takes a look into the harbor as Aubrey is watching.
(d) Blows up.
2. How does George Herapath feel about Wogan?
(a) Her presence is an insult to his honor.
(b) That she is greedy.
(c) Like she is his own daughter.
(d) That she is wonderful.
3. Where does George Herapath live during the American Revolutionary War?
4. Why is Maturin going to marry Villiers?
(a) He thinks it is the best way to protect her.
(b) He has gotten her pregnant.
(c) So her American citizenship will be void.
(d) Because he loves her.
5. What do Aubrey and Herapath plan?
(a) How to kill Dubreuil.
(b) How to get Maturin out of the hotel.
(c) How to get Villiers safely to England.
(d) How to waylay Johnson.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Aubrey, Maturin and Villiers get out of the harbor?
2. Who does Maturin send to give a note to Aubrey?
3. Against what does Maturin warn Villiers?
4. What does Aubrey watch daily?
5. What does Aubrey watch in the dense fog?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is humorous about Aubrey's daily observations of the bay?
2. What does Wogan attempt to persuade Maturin to agree to and how do you think he may feel about it?
3. Who ambushes Maturin and what is humorous about his actions?
4. Why do you think Aubrey feels it is justified to violate his "parole," which he gives as an officer and gentleman?
5. About what does Maturin caution Villiers and why do you think he does so?
6. How does Maturin figure out that he has been identified as the intelligence officer and what is the implication?
7. Why would Maturin and Johnson have a discussion about birds and how does this discussion enhance the playful tone of the novel?
8. What does Maturin do that seems contrary to his work as a doctor?
9. Why does Maturin think Wogan does not know he disseminated bad intelligence and what do you think he should do about it?
10. What is one thing that is perhaps likable about George Herapath?
This section contains 1,015 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)