|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who intervenes in Maturin's almost abduction?
(a) Some English officers.
(b) A local militiaman.
(c) Some other sailors.
2. Against what does Maturin warn Villiers?
(a) Staying in her room where Johnson can find her.
(b) Not to say anything about the marriage proposal to Johnson.
(c) Drinking too much.
(d) Saying too much.
3. Why does the group walk to the ship?
(a) Because the coach cannot hold them all.
(b) Because it's foggy and no one will see them.
(c) Because they need the fresh air.
(d) Because George Herapath has driven off with the coach.
4. What is one-sided?
(a) The conversation between Maturin and Johnson.
(b) The regard Michael Herapath has for Wogan.
(c) The feelings between Maturin and Villiers.
(d) The flow of information between Aubrey and England.
5. Who is Wogan's employer?
(a) George Herapath.
(b) Harry Johnson.
(c) No one.
(d) Diana Villiers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Villiers to Maturin?
2. What does Wogan attempt to convince Maturin to do?
3. What does Maturin do in Villiers' room?
4. What happens to Villiers?
5. About what does the Navy department interview Aubrey?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why would Maturin and Johnson have a discussion about birds and how does this discussion enhance the playful tone of the novel?
2. What does Maturin do that seems contrary to his work as a doctor?
3. Why is Mr. Herapath so happy to hear that Villiers is leaving the United States?
4. What happens that even in the midst of the drama of escape is humorous?
5. Why do you think Aubrey feels it is justified to violate his "parole," which he gives as an officer and gentleman?
6. What romantic complications add to the complexity of the novel?
7. Who is Harry Johnson and what is his connection to Wogan?
8. What happens to Maturin in Chapter 7 that makes it obvious that he needs to come up with a viable escape plan very soon?
9. What is humorous about Aubrey's daily observations of the bay?
10. What does Maturin find in Johnson's papers and what is the implication?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)