|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As what is Maturin finally identified?
(a) An excellent naturalist.
(b) An intelligence officer.
(c) A double agent.
(d) A state-of-the-art physician.
2. What does Aubrey ask of George Herapath?
(a) Help and silence.
(b) To tell him who Dubreuil is.
(c) To shelter Villiers.
(d) To speak to the Navy Intelligence on Aubrey's behave.
3. Who continues to recruit Maturin?
(a) George Herapath.
(b) Oxford University Naturalist Department.
(d) Michael Herapath.
4. Why does the group walk to the ship?
(a) Because George Herapath has driven off with the coach.
(b) Because it's foggy and no one will see them.
(c) Because they need the fresh air.
(d) Because the coach cannot hold them all.
5. Why does Maturin speak to a priest?
(a) To ask after an old friend who is a Catholic priest in Boston.
(b) To confess killing a man.
(c) To talk about his upcoming marriage.
(d) To confess that he commited treason.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Aubrey respond to the Navy's questions?
2. Who goes into the hotel to retrieve Maturin and Villiers?
3. How does Johnson respond to news of the assault on Maturin?
4. Where does Maturin drag the corpse(s)?
5. Who calls on Maturin at Asclepia?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Maturin figure out that he has been identified as the intelligence officer and what is the implication?
2. What is one thing that is perhaps likable about George Herapath?
3. What happens that even in the midst of the drama of escape is humorous?
4. How does George Herapath's attitude towards Wogan seem ironic or hypocritical?
5. What does Maturin find in Johnson's papers and what is the implication?
6. What romantic complications add to the complexity of the novel?
7. What does Wogan attempt to persuade Maturin to agree to and how do you think he may feel about it?
8. How does Michael Herapath earn a living and why is this odd?
9. Why does Maturin hedge about being an agent even though he has no intention of accepting the position?
10. Why does Maturin think Wogan does not know he disseminated bad intelligence and what do you think he should do about it?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)