|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Upon whom does Maturin call?
(b) The English consulate.
(c) The Naval Intelligence office.
2. What does Aubrey show Maturin later in the day after the attempted abduction?
(a) A note from Herapath saying he is working on Aubrey's request.
(b) A pair of new Joe Manton pistols.
(c) A sword.
(d) A derringer.
3. What field of study does Maturin recommend George Herapath encourage his son to pursue?
(b) The military.
4. Of what is George Herapath proud?
(a) That he was a loyalist during the American Revolutionary War.
(b) That he is working undercover for the United States government.
(c) That he has several flourishing plantations in the South.
(d) That his horses have seldom lost a race.
5. What do Aubrey and George Herapath find to discuss?
(a) Nautical matters.
(b) The French revolution.
(c) The classics.
(d) Horse racing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are his attackers?
2. How does Aubrey, Maturin and Villiers get out of the harbor?
3. Who is Wogan's employer?
4. How does Villiers seem in relation to Maturin?
5. How does George Herapath view the current war?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Maturin figure out that he has been identified as the intelligence officer and what is the implication?
2. Who ambushes Maturin and what is humorous about his actions?
3. How does Villiers seem to Maturin and what actions has she taken that were unwise?
4. What is one thing that is perhaps likable about George Herapath?
5. Why do you think Aubrey feels it is justified to violate his "parole," which he gives as an officer and gentleman?
6. What does Maturin find in Johnson's papers and what is the implication?
7. What happens to Maturin in Chapter 7 that makes it obvious that he needs to come up with a viable escape plan very soon?
8. How does George Herapath's attitude towards Wogan seem ironic or hypocritical?
9. What does Wogan attempt to persuade Maturin to agree to and how do you think he may feel about it?
10. About what does Maturin caution Villiers and why do you think he does so?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)