|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Maturin want from Herapath?
(a) To borrow some money to bribe Aubrey's guards.
(b) A horse to ride to New York and escape via a ship from that port.
(c) Lessons on playing cricket.
(d) Pistols for protection.
2. What does Aubrey watch daily?
(a) The changing of the prison guard.
(b) The torture of his crew.
(c) The forays of the HMS Shannon.
(d) The meetings between Villiers and Naval Intelligence.
3. Why is Herapath glad that Villiers is leaving?
(a) So Villiers can give some vital intelligence to England.
(b) So Michael will marry Wogan.
(c) So Wogan will start chasing after Johnson.
(d) He does not care about Villiers one way or the other.
4. Who is cleared in a court martial?
(b) Liertenant Chad and the other surviving Java officers.
5. Why would Maturin even consider becoming a double agent?
(a) To learn about the American network of spies.
(b) To escape from the United States.
(c) To end the War of 1812.
(d) To earn more money.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what does Aubrey brood?
2. How does Maturin know about his newfound status?
3. Upon whom does George Herapath dote?
4. Who does Maturin shoot dead?
5. How does Aubrey respond to the Navy's questions?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Villiers seem to Maturin and what actions has she taken that were unwise?
2. How does Maturin figure out that he has been identified as the intelligence officer and what is the implication?
3. Why would Maturin and Johnson have a discussion about birds and how does this discussion enhance the playful tone of the novel?
4. What does Wogan attempt to persuade Maturin to agree to and how do you think he may feel about it?
5. What romantic complications add to the complexity of the novel?
6. What happens to Maturin in Chapter 7 that makes it obvious that he needs to come up with a viable escape plan very soon?
7. What do you think is interesting about the fact that Johnson spends large sums of money and time gathering intelligence for the United States and is it likely that someone would do that in this age?
8. Why is Mr. Herapath so happy to hear that Villiers is leaving the United States?
9. Who ambushes Maturin and what is humorous about his actions?
10. Who is Harry Johnson and what is his connection to Wogan?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)