|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Against what does Maturin warn Villiers?
(a) Staying in her room where Johnson can find her.
(b) Drinking too much.
(c) Not to say anything about the marriage proposal to Johnson.
(d) Saying too much.
2. What happens to Villiers?
(a) She becomes seasick.
(b) She is shot as they are rowing out of the harbor.
(d) She falls overboard and drowns.
3. Who is Maturin calling upon when he is assaulted?
4. Upon what does Johnson spend vast sums of money?
(c) Obtaining intelligence.
5. Who continues to recruit Maturin?
(b) George Herapath.
(c) Michael Herapath.
(d) Oxford University Naturalist Department.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Villiers go after Maturin collapses?
2. Who does Maturin go to see after speaking to Michael Herapath?
3. What does Aubrey show Maturin later in the day after the attempted abduction?
4. How does Villiers seem in relation to Maturin?
5. Of what does George Herapath assure Maturin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Harry Johnson and what is his connection to Wogan?
2. What does Maturin do that seems contrary to his work as a doctor?
3. What happens to Maturin in Chapter 7 that makes it obvious that he needs to come up with a viable escape plan very soon?
4. Why do you think Aubrey feels it is justified to violate his "parole," which he gives as an officer and gentleman?
5. Of what is George Herapath proud and what may be a little despicable about his attitude?
6. How does Michael Herapath earn a living and why is this odd?
7. What is one thing that is perhaps likable about George Herapath?
8. Why would Maturin and Johnson have a discussion about birds and how does this discussion enhance the playful tone of the novel?
9. How does Maturin figure out that he has been identified as the intelligence officer and what is the implication?
10. What does Maturin find in Johnson's papers and what is the implication?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)