|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the sailors believe when they encounter a vessel?
(a) It is a friendly vessel at an appointed rendezvous.
(b) It is a merchant vessel.
(c) It is a French frigate.
(d) It is from Brazil.
2. What civilian is on board the ship?
(b) A diplomat and his retinue.
(c) The wife of the Captain.
(d) The wife of the Brazilian diplomat.
3. What seems a possibility to the men after a few days?
(a) They are on the wrong course.
(b) They will sight land soon.
(d) They will start encountering other vessels as they have entered a shipping lane.
4. Why is the La Flèche abandoned?
(a) A couple sailors have the plague.
(b) It is overrun by rats.
(c) It has been captured.
(d) It is on fire.
5. What happens the first time they sight a vessel?
(a) They hail it but it ignore them.
(b) They almost collide with it but they don't see the small boat in the fog.
(c) They try not to be seen since it is an American vessel.
(d) They try to catch it by rowing.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times have the Americans encountered the British?
2. What do the survivors do on the way to Brazil?
3. How does Maturin arouse humor among the cricket players and audience?
4. Of what are some American agents accusing Aubrey?
5. Who do Maturin and Aubrey take on in Cricket?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Aubrey depressed at the news of the war?
2. What do you think it means that Raikes' body was gnawed upon and do you think that is acceptable?
3. What do you think is a possible cause of La Flèche catching fire and exploding?
4. Why would the men welcome being on board the HMS Java though it is quite crammed with people?
5. Why do you think the sailors on board La Flèche do not take the war with the United States very seriously?
6. Why do you think it would be a serious faux pas to not attend the Captain's table to which one is invited in order to manage one's specimens as Maturin almost does?
7. Why do you think the USS Constitution leads the Java on a long chase to sea?
8. Why is it somewhat miraculous that the HMS Leopard pulls into Pulo Batang successfully?
9. What surprises Aubrey once he is quartered at Asclepia?
10. Do you think it is helpful for the author to present some background information from other books in the series, particularly the one just preceding this one?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)