|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About how many nautical miles does the ship cover daily?
2. How many times have the Americans encountered the British?
3. What is going to happen to the Leopard?
(a) It is being refitted with larger canons.
(b) It is being scuttled.
(c) It is being sold to a private merchant.
(d) It is being converted to a transport.
4. How might the voyage back to England be described?
(c) Rough seas.
(d) Fraught with danger.
5. What does Captain Lambert decide to do?
(a) Close the enemy directly and take her by boarding.
(b) Engage long-range canons until it is absolutely necessary to board.
(c) Try to outflank them and get into open sea where the Java is faster.
(d) Try to disable the Constitution by canon fire and then run.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the sailors believe when they encounter a vessel?
2. What is going to happen to the Leopard's crew?
3. What happens to Maturin?
4. How does Maturin find the Captain of the La Flèche?
5. How was the news disseminated?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens at the cricket match when Maturin joins the game and what tone does it set?
2. What tone for the novel is set and how is it set by the references to "Abraham"?
3. What answers Aubrey's unspoken question as to why the Captain of the Java does not first engage in long-range gunfire before closing to board?
4. Why do you think it would be a serious faux pas to not attend the Captain's table to which one is invited in order to manage one's specimens as Maturin almost does?
5. What do you think it means that the officers are paroled and why is this so?
6. What are some events that foreshadow the loss of the La Flèche at the end of Chapter 2?
7. What do you think is a possible cause of La Flèche catching fire and exploding?
8. Why do you think the USS Constitution leads the Java on a long chase to sea?
9. What do you think it means that Raikes' body was gnawed upon and do you think that is acceptable?
10. Why is Aubrey depressed at the news of the war?
This section contains 975 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)