|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the survivors do on the way to Brazil?
(a) Have a hard time recuperating because of the lack of stores.
(c) Some die.
(d) Learn all about the new vessel they are on.
2. Where does the Constitution lead Java?
(a) Out to sea.
(b) In circles.
(c) In to an American port.
(d) Towards Brazil.
3. What seems a possibility to the men after a few days?
(a) They will sight land soon.
(b) They will start encountering other vessels as they have entered a shipping lane.
(d) They are on the wrong course.
4. Where is Aubrey's boat headed?
(d) Central America.
5. How does Maturin arouse humor among the cricket players and audience?
(a) He faces the wrong way.
(b) He trips on the way around the field.
(c) He smashes the wicket to pieces.
(d) He hits the wicket in the wrong direction.
Short Answer Questions
1. What good news does the Captain offer Aubrey?
2. What is going to happen to the Leopard?
3. How long is the life boat in which Aubrey and his men float?
4. What about Maturin's collection most interests the crew?
5. Who is Pontet-Canet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think it means that Raikes' body was gnawed upon and do you think that is acceptable?
2. What do you think is a possible cause of La Flèche catching fire and exploding?
3. Why would the men welcome being on board the HMS Java though it is quite crammed with people?
4. What happens at the cricket match when Maturin joins the game and what tone does it set?
5. Why do the boats become separated and what are the advantages and disadvantages of that happening?
6. What are a couple other playful tongue-in-cheek type discussions that firmly entrench the fun tone of the novel?
7. Why do you think the HMS Leopard is being converted to a transport?
8. How would you respond to being in open sea in an eighteen-foot boat with twelve other people?
9. Do you think it is helpful for the author to present some background information from other books in the series, particularly the one just preceding this one?
10. What does Maturin learn that explains the Navy's treatment of Aubrey?
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)