|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many men are in Aubrey's life boat?
2. What has been the outcome of those encounters?
(a) Nothing decisive has been accomplished.
(b) The Americans have been decisively victorious.
(c) The Americans and English have split victories.
(d) Aubrey is unsure of the outcomes.
3. Upon what vessel is Aubrey traveling to England?
(a) The HMS Northhampton.
(b) The La Flèche.
(c) The HMS Fortune.
(d) A small private merchant vessel.
4. How long is the life boat in which Aubrey and his men float?
(a) 24 feet.
(b) 32 feet.
(c) 18 feet.
(d) 14 feet.
5. Who is Yorke?
(a) The Captain of the La Flèche.
(b) The second mate.
(c) The cook.
(d) The ship's steward.
6. Where is Aubrey's boat headed?
(c) Central America.
7. Who rescues Aubrey from making a serious faux pas?
(a) The second mate.
(b) The ship's steward.
(d) The cabin boy.
8. About how many nautical miles does the ship cover daily?
9. Why does Christmas of 1812 pass with some gloom?
(a) The war is not going well.
(b) Aubrey's men had expected to celebrate Christmas in England.
(c) The war is not over.
(d) The sailors are not in the thick of the war.
10. At what does Java fail?
(a) Outflank the Constitution.
(b) Close to boarding distance.
(c) Use her men for small arms fire.
(d) Get out into open sea.
11. What seems a possibility to the men after a few days?
(a) They will start encountering other vessels as they have entered a shipping lane.
(b) They are on the wrong course.
(c) They will sight land soon.
12. Who is Wallis?
(a) Aubrey's first mate.
(b) The local intelligence officer.
(c) Maturin's brother-in-law.
(d) The Captain of the La Flèche.
13. What does Captain Lambert decide to do?
(a) Try to disable the Constitution by canon fire and then run.
(b) Engage long-range canons until it is absolutely necessary to board.
(c) Close the enemy directly and take her by boarding.
(d) Try to outflank them and get into open sea where the Java is faster.
14. What port has the HMS Leopard reached in Chapter 1?
(a) Pulo Batang.
(d) Cape Hope.
15. Who have all taken passage in the same boat?
(a) The old crewmates from Leopard.
(b) The two doctors.
(c) All the bosun crew.
(d) All the ship's officers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Evans present to Maturin for Aubrey?
2. Why does Maturin leave the cricket match?
3. Who does Aubrey call upon when he goes ashore?
4. How experienced is Maturin in cricket?
5. How are Aubrey's men received?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)