|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Aubrey's boat headed?
(c) Central America.
2. Why does Maturin leave the cricket match?
(a) He is called away to assist in preparation of some documents.
(b) He is feeling the need for some laudenum.
(c) He has to treat a crewmember who is cut up in a fight.
(d) He is feeling ill.
3. What is going to happen to the Leopard?
(a) It is being refitted with larger canons.
(b) It is being sold to a private merchant.
(c) It is being converted to a transport.
(d) It is being scuttled.
4. How was the news disseminated?
(a) Through Admiral Nelson's aide.
(b) From one of the sailors who deserted the Leopard.
(c) From Maturin's wife.
(d) Via a letter from Diana Villiers.
5. Who is the first man to die?
6. How does Maturin almost make a serious faux pas?
(a) By telling the first mate what Maturin thinks of the mate's mother.
(b) By almost missing the Captain's table.
(c) By asking to examine the eye socket of a one-eyed sailor.
(d) By forgetting the Captain's name.
7. What does Maturin do after Java strikes her colors?
(a) Runs down to his quarters to save his laudenum.
(b) Operates on Aubrey's head.
(c) Asks permission to retain his specimen collection.
(d) Tends to the wounded.
8. What does Aubrey do on the voyage?
(a) Helps Maturin with his collection.
(b) Takes turn doing watches on the bridge.
(c) Writes many lengthy letters home.
(d) Practises his sword skills.
9. Who expresses admiration for Aubrey's exploits and tenacity?
(a) The Governor.
(b) No one.
(c) The tribal chief.
(d) The Admiral.
10. What vessel will Aubrey be captaining once he arrives in England?
(a) The Leopard after its refitting.
(b) The Acasta.
(c) The Northhampton.
(d) The York.
11. How does Maturin find the Captain of the La Flèche?
(a) Entirely agreeable, well-read, and intelligent.
(b) Arrogant and condescending.
(c) A fop.
12. Why is the La Flèche abandoned?
(a) It has been captured.
(b) A couple sailors have the plague.
(c) It is on fire.
(d) It is overrun by rats.
13. What do Aubrey and the Leopard crew volunteer to do?
(a) Serve the forward gun battery.
(b) Guard the diplomat and his retinue.
(c) Serve on the boarding crew.
(d) Man the rigging.
14. What famous joke of Aubrey's does Aubrey perpetuate on Maturin?
(a) The albatross joke.
(b) The parrot joke.
(c) The weevil joke.
(d) The Davy Jones' locker joke.
15. What do the sailors believe when they encounter a vessel?
(a) It is a merchant vessel.
(b) It is a friendly vessel at an appointed rendezvous.
(c) It is from Brazil.
(d) It is a French frigate.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what does Aubrey instruct his midshipmen?
2. Of what are some American agents accusing Aubrey?
3. Where does the Constitution lead Java?
4. Who do Maturin and Aubrey take on in Cricket?
5. What is going to happen to the Leopard's crew?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)