|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About how many nautical miles does the ship cover daily?
2. Why does the Leopard make quite a stir when entering the port?
(a) She is listing badly to starboard.
(b) She was thought to be long lost at sea.
(c) She is flying Dutch colors.
(d) She is the first English colors seen there in years.
3. What war do they learn has erupted?
(a) Between England and the United States of America.
(b) Between England and Russia.
(c) Between France and Russia.
(d) Between France and the United States of America.
4. What does Captain Lambert decide to do?
(a) Try to disable the Constitution by canon fire and then run.
(b) Close the enemy directly and take her by boarding.
(c) Try to outflank them and get into open sea where the Java is faster.
(d) Engage long-range canons until it is absolutely necessary to board.
5. What happens after several days in the sun?
(a) Dehydration starts.
(b) The men start hallucinating.
(c) The men are badly burned.
(d) The men start jumping into the water to cool off.
6. How does Maturin arouse humor among the cricket players and audience?
(a) He smashes the wicket to pieces.
(b) He hits the wicket in the wrong direction.
(c) He faces the wrong way.
(d) He trips on the way around the field.
7. How does Maturin find the Captain of the La Flèche?
(a) A fop.
(c) Arrogant and condescending.
(d) Entirely agreeable, well-read, and intelligent.
8. How many times have the Americans encountered the British?
9. Who have all taken passage in the same boat?
(a) The two doctors.
(b) All the bosun crew.
(c) All the ship's officers.
(d) The old crewmates from Leopard.
10. What vessel will Aubrey be captaining once he arrives in England?
(a) The Northhampton.
(b) The Acasta.
(c) The Leopard after its refitting.
(d) The York.
11. How does what the Leopard men do help the Java?
(a) It relieves some marines for small-arms work in the fighting tops.
(b) They are not just dead weight.
(c) They free up Java's men to board the Constitution.
(d) They can concentrate on long-distance warfare.
12. Of what are some American agents accusing Aubrey?
(b) War crimes.
(d) Executing an American soldier on the Leopard.
13. What are in the letters to Sophie?
(a) Questions about his new son.
(b) Questions about news at home.
(c) Information about Aubrey's upcoming assignment.
(d) Aubrey's thoughts and reports of many current events.
14. Where does La Flèche stop to resupply?
(a) Bora Bora.
(b) An Italian port.
(c) Cape Town.
(d) A small port on Madagascar.
15. Who rescues Aubrey's boat?
(a) The US Constitution.
(b) HMS Acasita.
(c) HMS Java.
(d) A Brazilian fisher vessel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens the first time they sight a vessel?
2. How experienced is Maturin in cricket?
3. What does Maturin do after Java strikes her colors?
4. How does Maturin almost make a serious faux pas?
5. What is going to happen to the Leopard?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)