|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Sajer diagnosed with in Part 4 Chapter 10?
2. What did Sajer learn about Paula in a letter in Part 4 Chapter 12?
3. What were the German troops with Sajer ordered to do in Part 3 Chapter 8?
4. What does Sajer say many soldiers did in Part 3 Chapter 9?
5. What was Sajer's fever probably induced by?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the German army coming from Kiev cross the Dnieper River according to Sajer in Part 3 - The Retreat ?
2. How was Memel defended?
3. What was Sajer given after his hospital stay and why was it taken away?
4. What type of unit were the blocking squads?
5. What happened to Lindberg and Hals during the Belgorod offensive?
6. What city did Sajer's regiment advanced toward and what happened when they reached that city?
7. How does Sajer describe his new commanding officer, Captain Wesreidau?
8. How did Sajer and his companions escape Memel?
9. What happened to Hals persona life in Part 3 - The Retreat ?
10. What was the state of the Gross Deutschland division in Part 3- The Retreat, and how was it being used?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Luftwaffe, the glamorous life Sajer touted at the start of the book, is absent from the sky during most of the retreat. Where was the Luftwaffe during 1944? Why did the Luftwaffe lose control of the sky? What impacts did this loss have on the German advance?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the role of Nazi indoctrination among soldiers in World War II Germany and discuss its influence on the soldiers and the populace.
Essay Topic 3
The Veteran seems to sacrifice himself to allow his companions to escape. Was sacrifice common on the battlefield? Why would one forsake his own life to allow others to live?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)