|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What memory did Sajer keep of his fever fueled retreat?
2. Where did Sajer go after leaving the Germany army?
3. How was the Gross Deutschland Division used according to Part 3 Chapter 7?
4. What did the German troops do with their wounded in Part 3 Chapter 8?
5. What did Sajer learn about Paula in a letter in Part 4 Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Lindberg and Hals during the Belgorod offensive?
2. What happened when the Germany army crossed the Dnieper River according to Sajer?
3. How did Sajer finally rejoin the front line after his firefight in the factory?
4. What was the Regiment forced to do in order to obey its order to break through the Russian encirclement and retreat?
5. How was Sajer able to avoid being a prisoner of war after being captured by the British Army?
6. What happened during Sajer's train ride back to the front?
7. What happened to the German army that was crossing the Dnieper River according to Part 4 -To The West?
8. How long did Sajer spend in the hospital according to Part 4 -To The West?
9. What happened when Sajer and eight other men were ordered to pursue partisans in a dark factory?
10. How was Memel defended?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the book, the evacuation of the civilians prior to that of the army is seen several times. Why was the evacuation of the civilians so critical?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the aspects of demoralization as discussed by Sajer and experienced by the German soldiers, examining how it impacted the troops.
Essay Topic 3
The treatment of Russian prisoners is seen through the eyes of Sajer. Sajer himself says that his book should not be read for its historical accuracy, but for its emotional content. Was the treatment of Russian prisoners historically accurate or did Sajer exaggerate?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)