|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the German army have on the east bank of the Dnieper?
2. How long of a leave was granted to Sajer after his stay at the hospital near Vinnitsa?
3. What medal was Lensen awarded?
4. What does Sajer say some soldiers tried to do to cross the Dnieper River?
5. How long did it take Sajer to extract himself from the dirt after being buried alive by an explosion?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to the German army that was crossing the Dnieper River according to Part 4 -To The West?
2. How did Sajer and his companions escape Memel?
3. What city did Sajer and his companions retreat to and why?
4. What happened when Sajer and eight other men were ordered to pursue partisans in a dark factory?
5. Who were the partisans Sajer fought in Part 4 -To The West on his way to relieve a besieged outpost and what happened to them?
6. How did Lensen die?
7. What did Sajer expect to find on the west side of the Dnieper River after crossing and what did he really find according to Part 4 -To The West?
8. How does Sajer describe his new commanding officer, Captain Wesreidau?
9. How was Sajer able to avoid being a prisoner of war after being captured by the British Army?
10. How was Memel defended?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Luftwaffe, the glamorous life Sajer touted at the start of the book, is absent from the sky during most of the retreat. Where was the Luftwaffe during 1944? Why did the Luftwaffe lose control of the sky? What impacts did this loss have on the German advance?
Essay Topic 2
The cold seems to be one of the main problem for the German soldier. How cold was the Russian front in 1943 and 1944? What clothes and cold fighting equipment did the Germans have? What were the effects of cold on the machinery, men and landscape?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how infringements were dealt with when training for and being a soldier in the Nazi regime by examining examples from the book.
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)