|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the operation Sajer described in Part 2 Chapter 6 last?
2. How does Sajer describe the weather on October 30 in the Prologue?
3. Why were Sajer, Lensen, and Hals reprimanded by Laus?
4. What did the occupants of the train Sajer saw heading west in Part 1 Chapter 1 use to deflect the wind from their train car?
5. Where was Von Paulus as Sajer was finishing his training?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened after the feldwebel took his clothes off in the Author's Preface and Prologue?
2. What happened when the Poles tried to sell Sajer and his unit some eggs?
3. What did Sajer and his group perform during the first two weeks on the front?
4. What was the first offensive Sajer participated in with his new unit?
5. Why was Sajer proud of his uniform in the Author's Preface and Prologue?
6. What does Sajer say happened during his first firefight?
7. How was the Belgorod assault mounted according to Sajer in Part 2 - The Gross Deutschland?
8. What did Sajer do in Warsaw according to the Author's Preface and Prologue?
9. Who did Sajer drive with during the German retreat from the Don River and what happened to that person?
10. What clothes does Sajer say he had after exiting the water in the Author's Preface and Prologue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sajer gives examples of battle where Germans were greatly outnumbered and yet prevailed. Was the German army really superior to the Russian army? What advantage did the Germans have that made them better soldiers?
Essay Topic 2
Sajer was sick during parts of the retreat. How were sick soldiers treated on the front lines? How many casualties did the Germany army suffer because of sickness? What type of sickness was common on the Russian front?
Essay Topic 3
The Germans in the army didn't like Alsacians, blaming anything they perceived as weakness on their French heritage. Why were the Alsacians singled out despite Germany's claim on the territory shown by the inclusion of the Alsace region in the Third Reich. What other countries had troops on the front line and did they have the same rapport with the Germans?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)