|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the troops travel back to after the battle?
2. What part of Marygay's body is missing?
3. Where do Marygay's parents live?
4. Who appears after a year on Sade-138?
5. Why do Charlie and Diane think it is a bad idea if Mandella kills Graubard himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does it seem that there are only two battles in the book?
2. How does Graubard die?
3. How does the battle end in Chapter 7, Part 3?
4. Summarize The Forever War story.
5. How does the woman at the farmhouse react to Mandella's presence in Chapter 10, Part 2?
6. What is Mandella's problem with Hilleboe in Chapter 3, Part 3?
7. What does Mandella do immediately upon arriving at Stargate?
8. How does the army recruit in modern society in Chapter 2, Part 3?
9. Why are there no Help Wanted ads in the newspaper?
10. How do Marygay and Mandella think the war has changed the world?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Forever War is part of the science fiction genre.
1) What are the conventions of the science fiction genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way did The Forever War help to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas used in The Forever War?
Essay Topic 2
The Forever War is a famous book which has greatly influenced science fiction. Choose a book written after the Forever War that you think was influenced by the novel and discuss there similarities in terms of
Essay Topic 3
Examine Earth from Haldeman's idea that everyone is cloned and has a collective conscience.
1) How would such an environment affect people's relationships?
2) How would it benefit the government?
3) Who do you think the government would choose to clone and why?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)