|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the man threaten Mandella with in the elevator?
2. Why does Mandella find it difficult to understand his troops?
3. Where do the troops travel back to after the battle?
4. Whose house does Mandella go to at the beginning of this chapter?
5. What is the name of Mandella's mother's roommate?
Essay Topic 1
Haldeman participated in the Vietnam War. Adhering to the rule that writers should always write about what they know, do you think it is obvious that Haldeman knows his subject? What difference do you think it makes to the story? Are there any moments where you think Haldeman does not portray a character or setting so well? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the twist ending. Choose one scene in the book and discuss how the twist ending changes your perception of that scene.
Essay Topic 3
Examine Haldeman's writing style. How would you describe Haldeman's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Haldeman's style give to the story?
This section contains 231 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)