|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do guards look out for on the commune tower?
2. Why does Mandella not put a stop to the alcohol?
3. What do the Taurans fire at the humans?
4. Which member of Mandella's family is now dead?
5. Where is Mandella put upon his arrival in Stargate?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mandella's problem with Hilleboe in Chapter 3, Part 3?
2. What is Mandella's mother's condition when he arrives back in Washington in Chapter 11, Part 2?
3. What problems do Mandella and Moore identify when they explore the ship?
4. How have things changed when Mandela arrives back to earth in the final chapter?
5. How has Mandella's mother's life changed since he last saw her?
6. Why are there no Help Wanted ads in the newspaper?
7. How does the happy pill help Mandella when his ship is attacked?
8. What do Marygay and Mandella decide on the phone in Chapter 9, Part 2?
9. How does Graubard die?
10. How does the battle end in Chapter 7, Part 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose a scene from the novel and critically analyze it in terms of the following:
1) Character development
2) Plot development.
3) Its significance to the book overall.
Essay Topic 2
Write a 500-word essay that examines and answers the following question: How does Haldeman create a futuristic world, different from our own, while still making it understandable to the reader?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Haldeman use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)