|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who appears after a year on Sade-138?
2. To what city does Mandella compare London?
3. What is the name of the company's ship?
4. Where do the troops travel back to after the battle?
5. What is Mandella's new nickname?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mandella's problem with Hilleboe in Chapter 3, Part 3?
2. What does Mandella do immediately upon arriving at Stargate?
3. How does the woman at the farmhouse react to Mandella's presence in Chapter 10, Part 2?
4. What do Marygay and Mandella decide on the phone in Chapter 9, Part 2?
5. What is Mandella's mother's condition when he arrives back in Washington in Chapter 11, Part 2?
6. How are the cooks making the alcohol?
7. How has Mandella's mother's life changed since he last saw her?
8. Summarize The Forever War story.
9. What problems do Mandella and Moore identify when they explore the ship?
10. Why are there no Help Wanted ads in the newspaper?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a 500-word essay that examines and answers the following question: How does Haldeman create a futuristic world, different from our own, while still making it understandable to the reader?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Haldeman's writing style. How would you describe Haldeman's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Haldeman's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the twist ending. Choose one scene in the book and discuss how the twist ending changes your perception of that scene.
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)