|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of store does Mandella go to?
2. What part of Marygay's body is missing?
3. What planet is Mandella's brother living on?
4. To what city does Mandella compare London?
5. What do the troops have to do if they see someone coming?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mandella's mother's condition when he arrives back in Washington in Chapter 11, Part 2?
2. How do Marygay and Mandella think the war has changed the world?
3. Why does Mandella not put an end to the distillery run by the cooks?
4. How does the army recruit in modern society in Chapter 2, Part 3?
5. What problems do Mandella and Moore identify when they explore the ship?
6. Why are there no Help Wanted ads in the newspaper?
7. How have things changed when Mandela arrives back to earth in the final chapter?
8. Why does Diane think it will be a bad idea if Mandella kills Graubard?
9. What are Rhonda's reasons for her sexual relationship with Mandella's mother?
10. Why does it seem that there are only two battles in the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Haldeman's writing style. How would you describe Haldeman's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Haldeman's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the twist ending. Choose one scene in the book and discuss how the twist ending changes your perception of that scene.
Essay Topic 3
The Forever War was made into a series of graphic novels. How different are the graphic novels from the book in terms of the following:
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)