|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has sent Mandella a note in this final chapter?
2. What was Marygay using as a time machine?
3. Who stays and dies in the underground base?
4. What kind of cycle has Kynock recently witnessed on earth?
5. What is the name of the company's ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mandella's problem with Hilleboe in Chapter 3, Part 3?
2. Summarize The Forever War story.
3. Why does Diane think it will be a bad idea if Mandella kills Graubard?
4. What does Mandella do immediately upon arriving at Stargate?
5. What do Marygay and Mandella decide on the phone in Chapter 9, Part 2?
6. What was the Pacifist Movement?
7. Why can the hospital not help Mandella's mother in Chapter 11, Part 2?
8. How are the cooks making the alcohol?
9. How do Marygay and Mandella think the war has changed the world?
10. How have things changed when Mandela arrives back to earth in the final chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a 500-word essay that examines and answers the following question: How does Haldeman create a futuristic world, different from our own, while still making it understandable to the reader?
Essay Topic 2
Haldeman participated in the Vietnam War. Adhering to the rule that writers should always write about what they know, do you think it is obvious that Haldeman knows his subject? What difference do you think it makes to the story? Are there any moments where you think Haldeman does not portray a character or setting so well? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the twist ending. Choose one scene in the book and discuss how the twist ending changes your perception of that scene.
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)