|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Moore and Mandella explore at the end of the chapter?
2. Where do Marygay's parents live?
3. What do the troops have to do if they see someone coming?
4. What do the troops call Mandella behind his back?
5. Who does Mandella think killed Graubard?
Short Essay Questions
1. How have things changed when Mandela arrives back to earth in the final chapter?
2. Summarize The Forever War story.
3. Why does it seem that there are only two battles in the book?
4. Why can Mandella's company be called test tube babies?
5. What problems do Mandella and Moore identify when they explore the ship?
6. How does the happy pill help Mandella when his ship is attacked?
7. What is Mandella's mother's condition when he arrives back in Washington in Chapter 11, Part 2?
8. How do the Taurans try and defeat the humans when their darts don't work?
9. Why does Mandella not put an end to the distillery run by the cooks?
10. How does the woman at the farmhouse react to Mandella's presence in Chapter 10, Part 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the twist ending. Choose one scene in the book and discuss how the twist ending changes your perception of that scene.
Essay Topic 2
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Haldeman use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Aside from the main character, examine the way Haldeman uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have?
Essay Topic 3
Write a 500-word essay revolving around the following statement: The Forever War details only two battles because the author wants to show the effects of war beyond just the fighting.
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)