|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of Mandella's body is crushed in this chapter?
2. What kind of people now inhabit Earth?
3. What do the Taurans fire at the humans?
4. Who attacked Mandella?
5. Who lies in the bed opposite Mandella?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the happy pill?
2. How have things changed when Mandela arrives back to earth in the final chapter?
3. How do the Taurans try and defeat the humans when their darts don't work?
4. How does the happy pill help Mandella when his ship is attacked?
5. What is Mandella's mother's condition when he arrives back in Washington in Chapter 11, Part 2?
6. What was the Pacifist Movement?
7. What problems do Mandella and Moore identify when they explore the ship?
8. What does Mandella do immediately upon arriving at Stargate?
9. How are the cooks making the alcohol?
10. What are Rhonda's reasons for her sexual relationship with Mandella's mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose a scene from the novel and critically analyze it in terms of the following:
1) Character development
2) Plot development.
3) Its significance to the book overall.
Essay Topic 2
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Haldeman use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Aside from the main character, examine the way Haldeman uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have?
Essay Topic 3
The Forever War is part of the science fiction genre.
1) What are the conventions of the science fiction genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way did The Forever War help to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas used in The Forever War?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)