|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is sick at the beginning of this chapter?
2. What part of Mandella's body is crushed in this chapter?
3. Who lies in the bed opposite Mandella?
4. Where do Marygay and Mandella meet before they embark on their trip?
5. On what planet do Mandella and Marygay end up living?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why can Mandella's company be called test tube babies?
2. What do Marygay and Mandella decide on the phone in Chapter 9, Part 2?
3. Why are there no Help Wanted ads in the newspaper?
4. How are the cooks making the alcohol?
5. How have things changed when Mandela arrives back to earth in the final chapter?
6. Why does Diane think it will be a bad idea if Mandella kills Graubard?
7. What problems do Mandella and Moore identify when they explore the ship?
8. What is Mandella's mother's condition when he arrives back in Washington in Chapter 11, Part 2?
9. What does Mandella do immediately upon arriving at Stargate?
10. How has Mandella's mother's life changed since he last saw her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Haldeman's writing style. How would you describe Haldeman's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Haldeman's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Haldeman participated in the Vietnam War. Adhering to the rule that writers should always write about what they know, do you think it is obvious that Haldeman knows his subject? What difference do you think it makes to the story? Are there any moments where you think Haldeman does not portray a character or setting so well? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
Write a 500-word essay revolving around the following statement: The Forever War details only two battles because the author wants to show the effects of war beyond just the fighting.
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)