|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Mandella and Marygay ride their bicycles to?
2. What does Mandella pass to the outside of the field?
3. What does Mandella think all of his new troops are?
4. What does Mandella want to use to detonate the stasis field?
5. Which member of Mandella's family is now dead?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the happy pill?
2. Why can Mandella's company be called test tube babies?
3. How do Marygay and Mandella think the war has changed the world?
4. Why are there no Help Wanted ads in the newspaper?
5. How has Mandella's mother's life changed since he last saw her?
6. Why can the hospital not help Mandella's mother in Chapter 11, Part 2?
7. What was the Pacifist Movement?
8. Why does it seem that there are only two battles in the book?
9. How does the happy pill help Mandella when his ship is attacked?
10. How does the battle end in Chapter 7, Part 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Haldeman participated in the Vietnam War. Adhering to the rule that writers should always write about what they know, do you think it is obvious that Haldeman knows his subject? What difference do you think it makes to the story? Are there any moments where you think Haldeman does not portray a character or setting so well? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
Write a 500-word essay that examines and answers the following question: How does Haldeman create a futuristic world, different from our own, while still making it understandable to the reader?
Essay Topic 3
Write a 500-word essay revolving around the following statement: The Forever War details only two battles because the author wants to show the effects of war beyond just the fighting.
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)