|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the company expect the Taurans to attack?
2. What part of Marygay's body is missing?
3. Why do Marygay and Mandella decide to rejoin the force?
4. What does Mandella want to use to detonate the stasis field?
5. What does Mandella turn off at the end of this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mandella's problem with Hilleboe in Chapter 3, Part 3?
2. Why does Mandella not put an end to the distillery run by the cooks?
3. How do the Taurans try and defeat the humans when their darts don't work?
4. What problems do Mandella and Moore identify when they explore the ship?
5. What does Mandella do immediately upon arriving at Stargate?
6. How has Mandella's mother's life changed since he last saw her?
7. How are the cooks making the alcohol?
8. What are Rhonda's reasons for her sexual relationship with Mandella's mother?
9. Why does it seem that there are only two battles in the book?
10. What was the Pacifist Movement?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Forever War is part of the science fiction genre.
1) What are the conventions of the science fiction genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way did The Forever War help to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas used in The Forever War?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the twist ending. Choose one scene in the book and discuss how the twist ending changes your perception of that scene.
Essay Topic 3
Compare Haldeman's book to similar science fiction novels.
1) Which ideas has he taken from previous works?
2) How has he used these ideas to develop his own meaning?
3) In what way do you think science fiction writers have almost worked together to create logical other worlds? Would these novels make sense if the worlds they developed were entirely unique?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)