|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mandella have an appointment with in this chapter?
2. On what planet do Mandella and Marygay end up living?
3. What planet is Mandella's brother living on?
4. When did the company expect the Taurans to attack?
5. What does Graubard use in an attempt to kill himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the cooks making the alcohol?
2. How do Marygay and Mandella think the war has changed the world?
3. Why does Mandella not put an end to the distillery run by the cooks?
4. How has Mandella's mother's life changed since he last saw her?
5. What are Rhonda's reasons for her sexual relationship with Mandella's mother?
6. Why can Mandella's company be called test tube babies?
7. What was the Pacifist Movement?
8. What do Marygay and Mandella decide on the phone in Chapter 9, Part 2?
9. Why does Diane think it will be a bad idea if Mandella kills Graubard?
10. Why does it seem that there are only two battles in the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Haldeman use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Aside from the main character, examine the way Haldeman uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have?
Essay Topic 2
The Forever War is a famous book which has greatly influenced science fiction. Choose a book written after the Forever War that you think was influenced by the novel and discuss there similarities in terms of
Essay Topic 3
The Forever War is written in the first person and with Haldeman as narrator. Why do you think Haldeman chose to write the story in the first person? How do you think the meaning of the story would have changed if it were written in the third person? What difference does it make it make to the story that Haldeman is one of the characters?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)