|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Graubard die?
2. What planet is Mandella's brother living on?
3. What section of the newspaper does Mandella try to find?
4. Which of the following weapons does Mandella not pass out to his troops:
5. What do Moore and Mandella think will cause low morale on the ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the cooks making the alcohol?
2. What is the happy pill?
3. What do Marygay and Mandella decide on the phone in Chapter 9, Part 2?
4. How does the army recruit in modern society in Chapter 2, Part 3?
5. How do Marygay and Mandella think the war has changed the world?
6. Why can Mandella's company be called test tube babies?
7. What is Mandella's problem with Hilleboe in Chapter 3, Part 3?
8. How does the woman at the farmhouse react to Mandella's presence in Chapter 10, Part 2?
9. What does Mandella do immediately upon arriving at Stargate?
10. Summarize The Forever War story.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Haldeman participated in the Vietnam War. Adhering to the rule that writers should always write about what they know, do you think it is obvious that Haldeman knows his subject? What difference do you think it makes to the story? Are there any moments where you think Haldeman does not portray a character or setting so well? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
The Forever War is part of the science fiction genre.
1) What are the conventions of the science fiction genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way did The Forever War help to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas used in The Forever War?
Essay Topic 3
Write a 500-word essay revolving around the following statement: The novel is a statement against war.
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)