|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mandella find it difficult to understand his troops?
2. What do the troops call Mandella behind his back?
3. What is someone considered to be if they turn down staying in the army?
4. What kind of conditioning do Kynock and Mandella discuss?
5. What does Mandella almost get hit by?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Marygay and Mandella think the war has changed the world?
2. How do the Taurans try and defeat the humans when their darts don't work?
3. How does the happy pill help Mandella when his ship is attacked?
4. What are Rhonda's reasons for her sexual relationship with Mandella's mother?
5. What do Marygay and Mandella decide on the phone in Chapter 9, Part 2?
6. What is the happy pill?
7. Why do Mandella and Charlie decide against the idea of evacuating all personnel into the stasis field?
8. What was the Pacifist Movement?
9. Why are there no Help Wanted ads in the newspaper?
10. Why does Mandella not put an end to the distillery run by the cooks?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Haldeman participated in the Vietnam War. Adhering to the rule that writers should always write about what they know, do you think it is obvious that Haldeman knows his subject? What difference do you think it makes to the story? Are there any moments where you think Haldeman does not portray a character or setting so well? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
The Forever War is written in the first person and with Haldeman as narrator. Why do you think Haldeman chose to write the story in the first person? How do you think the meaning of the story would have changed if it were written in the third person? What difference does it make it make to the story that Haldeman is one of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Haldeman's life. In what way do you think his life and personality are reflected in the book?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)