|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Mandella and Moore drink in the officer's lounge?
2. What city do Marygay and Mandella decide to visit first?
3. What kind of conditioning do Kynock and Mandella discuss?
4. Whose house does Mandella go to at the beginning of this chapter?
5. What planet is Mandella's brother living on?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why can the hospital not help Mandella's mother in Chapter 11, Part 2?
2. How do Marygay and Mandella think the war has changed the world?
3. How have things changed when Mandela arrives back to earth in the final chapter?
4. Why are there no Help Wanted ads in the newspaper?
5. Why does it seem that there are only two battles in the book?
6. What do Marygay and Mandella decide on the phone in Chapter 9, Part 2?
7. How does the army recruit in modern society in Chapter 2, Part 3?
8. Why does Mandella not put an end to the distillery run by the cooks?
9. What is the happy pill?
10. How does the woman at the farmhouse react to Mandella's presence in Chapter 10, Part 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Haldeman's writing style. How would you describe Haldeman's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Haldeman's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the twist ending. Choose one scene in the book and discuss how the twist ending changes your perception of that scene.
Essay Topic 3
Haldeman participated in the Vietnam War. Adhering to the rule that writers should always write about what they know, do you think it is obvious that Haldeman knows his subject? What difference do you think it makes to the story? Are there any moments where you think Haldeman does not portray a character or setting so well? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)