Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the man threaten Mandella with in the elevator?
2. Why does Mandella find it difficult to understand his troops?
3. Where do the troops travel back to after the battle?
4. Whose house does Mandella go to at the beginning of this chapter?
5. What is the name of Mandella's mother's roommate?
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Haldeman use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Aside from the main character, examine the way Haldeman uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have?
The Forever War is part of the science fiction genre.
1) What are the conventions of the science fiction genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way did The Forever War help to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas used in The Forever War?
Compare Haldeman's book to similar science fiction novels.
1) Which ideas has he taken from previous works?
2) How has he used these ideas to develop his own meaning?
3) In what way do you think science fiction writers have almost worked together to create logical other worlds? Would these novels make sense if the worlds they developed were entirely unique?
This section contains 298 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)