|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who stays and dies in the underground base?
2. What happens to the metal rod when Mandella passes it through the shield?
3. What helps Mandella get through the pain he feels?
4. What is Mandella's mother's priority rating?
5. Which movement does Kynock mention in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Mandella's mother's life changed since he last saw her?
2. How does the woman at the farmhouse react to Mandella's presence in Chapter 10, Part 2?
3. What was the Pacifist Movement?
4. How do the Taurans try and defeat the humans when their darts don't work?
5. Why can Mandella's company be called test tube babies?
6. Why do Mandella and Charlie decide against the idea of evacuating all personnel into the stasis field?
7. What is Mandella's mother's condition when he arrives back in Washington in Chapter 11, Part 2?
8. What is the happy pill?
9. Why does Diane think it will be a bad idea if Mandella kills Graubard?
10. How do Marygay and Mandella think the war has changed the world?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the twist ending. Choose one scene in the book and discuss how the twist ending changes your perception of that scene.
Essay Topic 2
Examine Earth from Haldeman's idea that everyone is cloned and has a collective conscience.
1) How would such an environment affect people's relationships?
2) How would it benefit the government?
3) Who do you think the government would choose to clone and why?
Essay Topic 3
Pick a character from the novel and discuss his/her goals and motives. Does he/she achieve his/her motives? Why? Does he/she share similar goals and motives with other characters? Does his/her goals clash with other characters? How do the character's goals and motives affect his/her interactions with each other?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)