|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mandella leave for his mother before he goes?
2. What do the troops build on Sade-138?
3. Where do Marygay's parents live?
4. Who appears after a year on Sade-138?
5. Who is sick at the beginning of this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mandella's mother's condition when he arrives back in Washington in Chapter 11, Part 2?
2. Why does Diane think it will be a bad idea if Mandella kills Graubard?
3. Why can Mandella's company be called test tube babies?
4. What are Rhonda's reasons for her sexual relationship with Mandella's mother?
5. How has Mandella's mother's life changed since he last saw her?
6. Why can the hospital not help Mandella's mother in Chapter 11, Part 2?
7. How does the battle end in Chapter 7, Part 3?
8. What was the Pacifist Movement?
9. What is the happy pill?
10. Why does it seem that there are only two battles in the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Earth from Haldeman's idea that everyone is cloned and has a collective conscience.
1) How would such an environment affect people's relationships?
2) How would it benefit the government?
3) Who do you think the government would choose to clone and why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Haldeman's life. In what way do you think his life and personality are reflected in the book?
Essay Topic 3
The Forever War is part of the science fiction genre.
1) What are the conventions of the science fiction genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way did The Forever War help to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas used in The Forever War?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)