Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the man threaten Mandella with in the elevator?
2. Why does Mandella find it difficult to understand his troops?
3. Where do the troops travel back to after the battle?
4. Whose house does Mandella go to at the beginning of this chapter?
5. What is the name of Mandella's mother's roommate?
Discuss Haldeman's life. In what way do you think his life and personality are reflected in the book?
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Haldeman use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Aside from the main character, examine the way Haldeman uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have?
The Forever War is written in the first person and with Haldeman as narrator. Why do you think Haldeman chose to write the story in the first person? How do you think the meaning of the story would have changed if it were written in the third person? What difference does it make it make to the story that Haldeman is one of the characters?
This section contains 270 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)