|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Taurans fire at the humans?
2. What do the troops have to do if they see someone coming?
3. What do Mandella and Moore drink in the officer's lounge?
4. Where is Mandella put upon his arrival in Stargate?
5. Who lies in the bed opposite Mandella?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize The Forever War story.
2. How does the happy pill help Mandella when his ship is attacked?
3. How do the Taurans try and defeat the humans when their darts don't work?
4. How does the woman at the farmhouse react to Mandella's presence in Chapter 10, Part 2?
5. How does Graubard die?
6. Why can the hospital not help Mandella's mother in Chapter 11, Part 2?
7. Why can Mandella's company be called test tube babies?
8. Why do Mandella and Charlie decide against the idea of evacuating all personnel into the stasis field?
9. Why does it seem that there are only two battles in the book?
10. What does Mandella do immediately upon arriving at Stargate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Haldeman use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
Haldeman participated in the Vietnam War. Adhering to the rule that writers should always write about what they know, do you think it is obvious that Haldeman knows his subject? What difference do you think it makes to the story? Are there any moments where you think Haldeman does not portray a character or setting so well? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
Write a 500-word essay revolving around the following statement: The Forever War details only two battles because the author wants to show the effects of war beyond just the fighting.
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)