|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Caillean throw at the raiders in order to cause them to leave them alone at the house?
2. Dieda tells Cynric that she will never see him again so long as the _________ are his first priority.
3. Who sees a vision when they look into the pool while out in the woods, leaving an offering?
4. At what time of day does the initiation of the priestesses take place?
5. What happened to Caillean on the seashore, the thing that she was sworn to secrecy about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the culmination of the initiation ceremony that the priestesses have at night?
2. What is the dream that Caillean has when the story first opens, of events that happened in the past?
3. What are Eilan and Dieda doing out in the middle of the woods when they are described at the start of the story?
4. What has happened to Gaius when Eilan and Dieda come upon him in the forest?
5. How do Gaius and Eilan come to be able to see each other again, even after so much time has passed?
6. What does Gaius learn about Cynric when he begins to learn about his life?
7. What does Marcellius note when Gaius finally returns to his home?
8. What does Marcellius know might happen as a result of his sending a request for Eilan's hand in marriage?
9. What are the three visions that Eilan has when she is looking in the pool during her initiation?
10. What do the girls feel about the priestesses at the Forest House and whether they would like to be a part of the training?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Druids continue to be in control at the priestesses' house, having final say in successors and helping to translate the oracle rites.
Part 1: Why do you think the Druids are so powerful in the lives of the priestesses?
Part 2: Do you think the priestesses should be able to have say in what happens at their house?
Part 3: How do you think the role of the priestesses might change if the Druids were no longer in charge?
Essay Topic 2
Caillean decides not to tell Mairi about the death of her husband until after she gives birth.
Part 1: Do you think that Caillean made the right decision?
Part 2: Do you think that Mairi should have been told about her husband sooner?
Part 3: What might have happened if Mairi had known about her husband's death sooner?
Essay Topic 3
Marcellius and Gaius seem to have a common father and son relationship, with his father always wanting more from Gaius.
Part 1: Why do you think Marcellius doesn't want Gaius to marry Eilan?
Part 2: Do you think that Marcellius truly wants Gaius to be happy?
Part 3: How do you think Marcellius could have been more supportive of Gaius and his life?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)