|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Caillean beginning just as Eilan finds out that she is pregnant in the story?
2. Gaius is revealed to be the Roman son of a __________, as seen by the high priestess.
3. Caillean, along with Lhiannon, try to recall ________ to avenge the deaths and the destruction.
4. Who finds that Eilan's house has been burned and charred when they come to find her?
5. Who is the priestess that is serving Lhiannon at the Forest House?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is complicated about the selection of a high priestess, even though Lhiannon has seen Caillean in the role?
2. What does Marcellius know might happen as a result of his sending a request for Eilan's hand in marriage?
3. What happens to Lhiannon at the end of this section of the book, which will determine the speed of the next course of events?
4. Why doesn't Caillean want to be a high priestess, as she reveals to Eilan in the story?
5. What are the three promises that Caillean asks of Eilan if she wants to stay at the Forest House?
6. What is the significance of the name 'Gawen' when Gaius decides to use it to cover up his real identity?
7. What will Caillean be talking to her priestesses about on the first day in the story, according to the book?
8. What are the duties that Gaius' father Marcellius has to do during a typical day?
9. What are Eilan and Dieda doing out in the middle of the woods when they are described at the start of the story?
10. What does Marcellius note when Gaius finally returns to his home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Druids continue to be in control at the priestesses' house, having final say in successors and helping to translate the oracle rites.
Part 1: Why do you think the Druids are so powerful in the lives of the priestesses?
Part 2: Do you think the priestesses should be able to have say in what happens at their house?
Part 3: How do you think the role of the priestesses might change if the Druids were no longer in charge?
Essay Topic 2
Julia and Gaius meet each other and decide they like each other. As a result, their parents want them to marry.
Part 1: Why do you think that the parents want Julia and Gaius to marry each other?
Part 2: Do you think that a person can decide they want to marry someone after just a few meetings?
Part 3: How do you think a person might decide they want to get married to someone else?
Essay Topic 3
The oracle rites are those in which the priestess communes with the Goddess to reveal the future to the people in the community.
Part 1: Do you think the messages that are given by the oracle are trustworthy?
Part 2: Why do you think the people need to hear the message of the Goddess through the oracle?
Part 3: How do you think you would respond to hearing about trouble coming to your city, via the oracle?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)