|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the weather like during the birth of the child, according to the descriptions in the book of the hard labor?
2. Who is the current high priestess of the Forest House at the beginning of the story?
3. Who is the person telling stories, including one about three hags, to a group of women at the Forest House?
4. The tower of _________ was a place where priestesses were raped by invading Romans.
5. Who does Eilan have go with her to a meeting with Cynric, for her own protection?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Lhiannon at the end of this section of the book, which will determine the speed of the next course of events?
2. What are the three visions that Eilan has when she is looking in the pool during her initiation?
3. What is the culmination of the initiation ceremony that the priestesses have at night?
4. What has happened to Gaius when Eilan and Dieda come upon him in the forest?
5. What does Gaius learn about Cynric when he begins to learn about his life?
6. What is the Fellowship of the Raven, as described and seen in this story?
7. Why doesn't Caillean want to be a high priestess, as she reveals to Eilan in the story?
8. What has happened to Eilan's feelings about being the oracle, according to the book?
9. What is the dangerous event that occurs at the Beltane festival, as witnessed by Gaius?
10. What does Eilan realize about Cynric and his connection to the event that happened at the Tower of Mona?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Caillean had hidden the secret of her rape as she was worried that she might not have been accepted as a priestess if they had found out.
Part 1: Why do you think a priestess would not be accepted if she had been raped?
Part 2: Do you think Caillean should have been more honest about her background?
Part 3: How do you think the priestesses would have responded to Caillean if she had told them about her past?
Essay Topic 2
At the midsummer festival, it is custom to all the king to sleep with anyone he wishes to sleep with.
Part 1: Why do you think the king is granted the ability to sleep with anyone at solstice?
Part 2: Do you think that the king has more power than the priestesses?
Part 3: What does the process of the king sleeping with a priestess or other women achieve for the community?
Essay Topic 3
Eilan's father wants to avenge the death of his people, so Eilan is left to stay with the priestesses at the Forest house.
Part 1: Why do you think that revenge is on the mind of Eilan's father?
Part 2: Do you think that a person should go after others in revenge?
Part 3: How do you think a person should respond when their life and town is destroyed?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)