|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry almost say to James Killoran when Killoran confronts him?
2. Where does Henry find work in New York at first?
3. What does Henry ask Claire to do after the concert?
4. What has Will given up farming for?
5. Who is James Killoran?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Henry's state, in Chapter 13, as he drives eastward.
2. What does Henry dream in the postlude?
3. What is the importance of Dodge City for Henry?
4. What does Myra ask Henry to do about her pregnancy?
5. What are Henry's fears about going home?
6. What happens to Henry and Claire's daughter?
7. Describe Henry's trip to Denver to see Claire before she leaves for college.
8. What are Henry's thoughts when he arrives in St. Louis?
9. Describe Joe's death.
10. Describe Solstice's death.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Where does the novel change voices or tones, and what do these shift in voice or tone tell us about the book? How does the prelude, for instance, frame the book by being told from another person's perspective?
Essay Topic 2
What does drinking represent in 'Fool's Progress'? What ideas or feelings is it associated with? What is Henry doing by drinking? Celebrating something, hiding something, avoiding something? What is it, and how does Abbey describe it?
Essay Topic 3
How consistent is 'Fool's Progress'? Do the characterizations established in the first few chapters hold true for the rest of the book? How are any exceptions dealt with? Does the book end close to where it started?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)