|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Myra ask Henry to do for her?
2. What does Henry remember, at the beginning of Chapter 14?
3. Why does Lorraine call Will, at the beginning of Chapter 14?
4. Who is Grace?
5. When does Chapter 22 take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What gets Henry out of New York?
2. Describe Henry's trip to Denver to see Claire before she leaves for college.
3. What is the farm like when Will comes back from the war, and what does he do to take over?
4. What is the importance of Dodge City for Henry?
5. Why does Henry return to New York?
6. Why does Henry almost not go home?
7. How does Claire die?
8. What are Henry's thoughts when he arrives in St. Louis?
9. What does Henry remember of his father at the funeral?
10. Describe Joe's funeral.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How consistent is 'Fool's Progress'? Do the characterizations established in the first few chapters hold true for the rest of the book? How are any exceptions dealt with? Does the book end close to where it started?
Essay Topic 2
Assess the claim that in Henry Lightcap, Edward Abbey is dramatizing Thoreau's instruction to 'simplify, simplify, simplify'? In what ways is Henry Lightcap simplifying his life? In what ways is he always complicating it? What is the value of the simplicity he espouses?
Essay Topic 3
Assess the value of Henry Lightcap's lifestyle. Is it a desirable lifestyle? Is it undesirable? Why? What are the pleasures Henry knows, and what are the consequences of those pleasures? Would this lifestyle be right for you? Why or why not?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)