|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What augury does Henry find in the hotel, in the beginning of Chapter 13?
2. What does Henry plan to do when he meets Claire?
3. What happens after Joe's funeral?
4. What does Will say when Henry asks him why he threw the thing into Joe's grave?
5. What does the preacher talk about at Joe's funeral?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Henry's visit to Denver to see Claire.
2. Describe Henry's interview with Gibbs Pratt.
3. Describe Henry's trip to Denver to see Claire before she leaves for college.
4. What are Henry's thoughts when he muses on death, in chapter 17?
5. Why does Henry almost not go home?
6. What are Henry's fears about going home?
7. Describe Joe's funeral.
8. What does Henry think about finding the job of forest ranger?
9. What augury does Henry find on his trip?
10. What happens in Henry's visit to Glenwood Springs to see Claire?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does drinking represent in 'Fool's Progress'? What ideas or feelings is it associated with? What is Henry doing by drinking? Celebrating something, hiding something, avoiding something? What is it, and how does Abbey describe it?
Essay Topic 2
What purpose does Henry's secret have in the novel? What is the secret, and how does our ignorance of the secret (as well as our speculation, as Henry recounts his life stories) affect our reading experience? What do we expect the secret to be?
Essay Topic 3
How does Abbey feel about death? Henry Lightcap approaches it with bravado and panache, but what are Abbey's feelings about it, as the author?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)