|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the father of Myra's baby?
2. For how long do Joe and Will hardly speak?
3. What augury does Henry find in the hotel, in the beginning of Chapter 13?
4. What does Henry remember about working with Joe?
5. What does Henry believe he has found in this job?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Grace's opinion of Henry's relationship with Claire?
2. What are Henry's thoughts when he muses on death, in chapter 17?
3. What does Myra ask Henry to do about her pregnancy?
4. What is the farm like when Will comes back from the war, and what does he do to take over?
5. Describe Henry's trip to Denver to see Claire before she leaves for college.
6. What had Will done in the war?
7. What happens in Henry's visit to Glenwood Springs to see Claire?
8. Why does Henry return to New York?
9. What does Henry remember of his father at the funeral?
10. Describe Henry's visit to Denver to see Claire.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Henry Lightcap's best relationship in 'Fool's Progress', and what makes it dearest to him? What relation does this relationship have with his other relationships?
Essay Topic 2
Write a review that assesses the value of 'Fool's Progress.' What does the book do that is different from what it sets out to do? Is there a moral, and if so, what does it teach? Is it a cautionary tale?
Essay Topic 3
What are Abbey's feelings about women? Are there women who make exceptions to his general feelings? What role does feminism play in 'Fool's Progress'? In what ways are women powerful creatures, who are already in charge of things?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)