|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Henry find work after New York?
2. What happens when Henry tries to buy oil with his card, in Chapter 23?
3. Where does Claire go when she leaves Denver?
4. Where is Henry when he calls Claire, at the beginning of Chapter 20?
5. Who helps Will dig Joe's grave?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Solstice's death.
2. What is Grace's opinion of Henry's relationship with Claire?
3. Describe Joe's funeral.
4. What gets Henry out of New York?
5. Describe Joe's death.
6. Describe Henry's state, in Chapter 13, as he drives eastward.
7. What are Henry's thoughts when he arrives in St. Louis?
8. What are Henry's thoughts when he muses on death, in chapter 17?
9. Describe Henry's visit to Denver to see Claire.
10. Why does Henry return to New York?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does drinking represent in 'Fool's Progress'? What ideas or feelings is it associated with? What is Henry doing by drinking? Celebrating something, hiding something, avoiding something? What is it, and how does Abbey describe it?
Essay Topic 2
Assess the value of Henry Lightcap's lifestyle. Is it a desirable lifestyle? Is it undesirable? Why? What are the pleasures Henry knows, and what are the consequences of those pleasures? Would this lifestyle be right for you? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What rules does Henry Lightcap follow? How does he resolve any contradictions in his rules (i.e. rebel against authority, but keep your job, or drink but keep sharp for recording your life)?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)