|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is Henry determined to work for?
2. What does Myra give Henry after he leaves New York?
3. What do Henry and Will discuss when they walk along the fence, in Chapter 22?
4. What is Henry surprised to find on the land?
5. What does Will throw into Joe's grave?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Henry think about finding the job of forest ranger?
2. What is the farm like when Will comes back from the war, and what does he do to take over?
3. What are Henry's thoughts when he arrives in St. Louis?
4. What happens in Henry's visit to Glenwood Springs to see Claire?
5. Describe Henry's visit to Denver to see Claire.
6. What does Henry dream in the postlude?
7. Describe Henry's interview with Gibbs Pratt.
8. Describe Joe's funeral.
9. What does Henry lose on his way home?
10. What does Henry remember of his father at the funeral?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In chapter two, Joe remarks that Henry is in for a troubled life, and Lorraine says that at least it won't be a dull life. In what ways is Henry troubled? In what ways is his life the opposite of dull? (In what ways is he hardly troubled? In what ways is his life dull?)
Essay Topic 2
In what way is Joe's desire to be buried with his relatives a measure of Henry's life? In what ways is it insufficient as a measure of the value of a person's life, to be buried with relatives? What is proposed instead, as a measure of value?
Essay Topic 3
Write a review that assesses the value of 'Fool's Progress.' What does the book do that is different from what it sets out to do? Is there a moral, and if so, what does it teach? Is it a cautionary tale?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)