|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Solstice looking, at the beginning of Chapter 21?
2. Who is James Killoran?
3. Where does Will find work after returning from the war?
4. How does Henry arrive into Illinois?
5. What does Myra give Henry after he leaves New York?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Henry and Claire's daughter?
2. Describe Henry's state, in Chapter 13, as he drives eastward.
3. What had Will done in the war?
4. Why does Henry almost not go home?
5. What augury does Henry find on his trip?
6. What does Henry lose on his way home?
7. What does Myra ask Henry to do about her pregnancy?
8. What are Henry's fears about going home?
9. Describe Henry's visit to Denver to see Claire.
10. What is the importance of Dodge City for Henry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Henry and Elaine argue about Elaine not having orgasms. If orgasms are not the goal of Henry's treatment of women, what is? What fulfillments does he offer a woman? What does he offer instead of orgasms?
Essay Topic 2
What are Abbey's feelings about women? Are there women who make exceptions to his general feelings? What role does feminism play in 'Fool's Progress'? In what ways are women powerful creatures, who are already in charge of things?
Essay Topic 3
Henry Lightcap's family is half-Shawnee. How much do Native American values matter in 'Fool's Progress'? How is this side of Henry's history represented? Make the argument that 'Fool's Progress' is a novel about the Native American experience. Or make the argument that it is not.
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)