|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry take while driving through Kansas?
2. How old is Claire when she meets Henry?
3. Why doesn'tt Henry meet Claire in Denver before she leaves for college?
4. What does Henry ask Claire to do after the concert?
5. What draws Will's attention to Joe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Henry dream in the postlude?
2. What gets Henry out of New York?
3. Describe Henry's visit to Denver to see Claire.
4. Describe the scene in which Henry met Claire.
5. What is the importance of Dodge City for Henry?
6. What are Henry's thoughts when he muses on death, in chapter 17?
7. What happens in Henry's visit to Glenwood Springs to see Claire?
8. What is Grace's opinion of Henry's relationship with Claire?
9. What does Henry lose on his way home?
10. Describe Henry's interview with Gibbs Pratt.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does drinking represent in 'Fool's Progress'? What ideas or feelings is it associated with? What is Henry doing by drinking? Celebrating something, hiding something, avoiding something? What is it, and how does Abbey describe it?
Essay Topic 2
In what way is the prelude a representation of the book as a whole? What theme does it introduce, and how is that theme developed?
Essay Topic 3
In chapter two, Joe remarks that Henry is in for a troubled life, and Lorraine says that at least it won't be a dull life. In what ways is Henry troubled? In what ways is his life the opposite of dull? (In what ways is he hardly troubled? In what ways is his life dull?)
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)