|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Will throw into Joe's grave?
2. What does Will's house have?
3. What happens after Joe's funeral?
4. What was Henry swerving to avoid when he causes the accident?
5. What does Henry do after Claire does not show up?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Henry's fears about going home?
2. Describe Henry's state, in Chapter 13, as he drives eastward.
3. Describe Henry's visit to Denver to see Claire.
4. What does Henry think about finding the job of forest ranger?
5. Why does Henry return to New York?
6. Describe Henry's trip to Denver to see Claire before she leaves for college.
7. What are Henry's thoughts when he arrives in St. Louis?
8. How does Claire die?
9. Describe Joe's death.
10. Describe the scene in which Henry met Claire.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Henry Lightcap's family is half-Shawnee. How much do Native American values matter in 'Fool's Progress'? How is this side of Henry's history represented? Make the argument that 'Fool's Progress' is a novel about the Native American experience. Or make the argument that it is not.
Essay Topic 2
How consistent is 'Fool's Progress'? Do the characterizations established in the first few chapters hold true for the rest of the book? How are any exceptions dealt with? Does the book end close to where it started?
Essay Topic 3
What rules does Henry Lightcap follow? How does he resolve any contradictions in his rules (i.e. rebel against authority, but keep your job, or drink but keep sharp for recording your life)?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)