|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is James Killoran?
2. What augury does Henry find in the hotel, in the beginning of Chapter 13?
3. What does Henry find work doing, at the beginning of Chapter 12?
4. Where does Will find Joe?
5. What does Will say when Henry asks him why he threw the thing into Joe's grave?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Henry lose on his way home?
2. What are Henry's fears about going home?
3. What happens in Henry's visit to Glenwood Springs to see Claire?
4. Describe Joe's death.
5. What does Henry dream in the postlude?
6. Describe Henry's interview with Gibbs Pratt.
7. What is Henry's experience finding work in New York?
8. What does Henry remember of his father at the funeral?
9. Describe Henry's state, in Chapter 13, as he drives eastward.
10. What are Henry's thoughts when he arrives in St. Louis?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Henry Lightcap's family is half-Shawnee. How much do Native American values matter in 'Fool's Progress'? How is this side of Henry's history represented? Make the argument that 'Fool's Progress' is a novel about the Native American experience. Or make the argument that it is not.
Essay Topic 2
In chapter two, Joe remarks that Henry is in for a troubled life, and Lorraine says that at least it won't be a dull life. In what ways is Henry troubled? In what ways is his life the opposite of dull? (In what ways is he hardly troubled? In what ways is his life dull?)
Essay Topic 3
Assess the value of Henry Lightcap's lifestyle. Is it a desirable lifestyle? Is it undesirable? Why? What are the pleasures Henry knows, and what are the consequences of those pleasures? Would this lifestyle be right for you? Why or why not?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)