|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn'tt Henry meet Claire in Denver before she leaves for college?
2. Where does Will find Joe?
3. What does Myra give Henry after he leaves New York?
4. How old is Claire when she meets Henry?
5. What draws Will's attention to Joe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Henry almost not go home?
2. Why does Henry return to New York?
3. Describe Henry's trip to Denver to see Claire before she leaves for college.
4. Describe Henry's state, in Chapter 13, as he drives eastward.
5. Describe the scene in which Henry met Claire.
6. What is Henry's experience finding work in New York?
7. What are Henry's fears about going home?
8. What does Henry think about finding the job of forest ranger?
9. What does Henry remember of his father at the funeral?
10. What are Henry's thoughts when he arrives in St. Louis?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Assess the claim that in Henry Lightcap, Edward Abbey is dramatizing Thoreau's instruction to 'simplify, simplify, simplify'? In what ways is Henry Lightcap simplifying his life? In what ways is he always complicating it? What is the value of the simplicity he espouses?
Essay Topic 2
Henry and Elaine argue about Elaine not having orgasms. If orgasms are not the goal of Henry's treatment of women, what is? What fulfillments does he offer a woman? What does he offer instead of orgasms?
Essay Topic 3
In what way is the prelude a representation of the book as a whole? What theme does it introduce, and how is that theme developed?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)