|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Joe buried?
2. Who tells Henry where Claire is after she leaves Denver
3. What does Henry almost say to James Killoran when Killoran confronts him?
4. Where does Bat Lanahan find Henry a job?
5. What draws Will's attention to Joe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Henry lose on his way home?
2. Describe Henry's state, in Chapter 13, as he drives eastward.
3. Describe Joe's death.
4. What had Will done in the war?
5. What are Henry's fears about going home?
6. Describe Joe's funeral.
7. What happens in Henry's visit to Glenwood Springs to see Claire?
8. What is Grace's opinion of Henry's relationship with Claire?
9. What does Myra ask Henry to do about her pregnancy?
10. What does Henry remember of his father at the funeral?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How consistent is 'Fool's Progress'? Do the characterizations established in the first few chapters hold true for the rest of the book? How are any exceptions dealt with? Does the book end close to where it started?
Essay Topic 2
Assess the claim that in Henry Lightcap, Edward Abbey is dramatizing Thoreau's instruction to 'simplify, simplify, simplify'? In what ways is Henry Lightcap simplifying his life? In what ways is he always complicating it? What is the value of the simplicity he espouses?
Essay Topic 3
Henry Lightcap is a Hedonist of the first order--how does Abbey feel about sensual pleasures, and is there a contradiction in *reading* about pleasures of the flesh?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)