|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Claire tell Henry she thinks about him?
2. What augury does Henry find in the hotel, in the beginning of Chapter 13?
3. What does Henry tell Myra in answer to her request?
4. When is Henry let go from his job?
5. What is Henry surprised to find on the land?
Short Essay Questions
1. What augury does Henry find on his trip?
2. What are Henry's thoughts when he arrives in St. Louis?
3. What does Henry dream in the postlude?
4. Why does Henry return to New York?
5. What is Henry's experience finding work in New York?
6. What does Henry think about finding the job of forest ranger?
7. Describe Joe's death.
8. What is the importance of Dodge City for Henry?
9. What happens in Henry's visit to Glenwood Springs to see Claire?
10. Describe the scene in which Henry met Claire.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way is Joe's desire to be buried with his relatives a measure of Henry's life? In what ways is it insufficient as a measure of the value of a person's life, to be buried with relatives? What is proposed instead, as a measure of value?
Essay Topic 2
How important is Henry's childhood on the events that followed? What aspects of it were most formative? What formative influences did he feel later in life?
Essay Topic 3
Assess the claim that in Henry Lightcap, Edward Abbey is dramatizing Thoreau's instruction to 'simplify, simplify, simplify'? In what ways is Henry Lightcap simplifying his life? In what ways is he always complicating it? What is the value of the simplicity he espouses?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)