|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What augury does Henry find in the hotel, in the beginning of Chapter 13?
2. What does Claire invite Henry to?
3. What do Henry and Will discuss when they walk along the fence, in Chapter 22?
4. What does Henry remember about working with Joe?
5. Where does Henry find work in New York at first?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Henry and Claire's daughter?
2. What does Henry remember of his father at the funeral?
3. What does Henry lose on his way home?
4. Describe Joe's death.
5. What is the importance of Dodge City for Henry?
6. What are Henry's thoughts when he arrives in St. Louis?
7. What gets Henry out of New York?
8. How does Claire die?
9. What are Henry's thoughts when he muses on death, in chapter 17?
10. Describe the scene in which Henry met Claire.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What rules does Henry Lightcap follow? How does he resolve any contradictions in his rules (i.e. rebel against authority, but keep your job, or drink but keep sharp for recording your life)?
Essay Topic 2
In what way is the prelude a representation of the book as a whole? What theme does it introduce, and how is that theme developed?
Essay Topic 3
In what way is Joe's desire to be buried with his relatives a measure of Henry's life? In what ways is it insufficient as a measure of the value of a person's life, to be buried with relatives? What is proposed instead, as a measure of value?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)