|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Henry work as a forest ranger?
2. What does Will throw into Joe's grave?
3. Where does Henry stop, at the beginning of Chapter 21?
4. What was Henry swerving to avoid when he causes the accident?
5. Where is Joe buried?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens in Henry's visit to Glenwood Springs to see Claire?
2. Describe Henry's visit to Denver to see Claire.
3. What are Henry's thoughts when he arrives in St. Louis?
4. Describe the scene in which Henry met Claire.
5. Describe Henry's trip to Denver to see Claire before she leaves for college.
6. What gets Henry out of New York?
7. Describe Henry's state, in Chapter 13, as he drives eastward.
8. What are Henry's thoughts when he muses on death, in chapter 17?
9. What is Grace's opinion of Henry's relationship with Claire?
10. What is Henry's experience finding work in New York?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a review that assesses the value of 'Fool's Progress.' What does the book do that is different from what it sets out to do? Is there a moral, and if so, what does it teach? Is it a cautionary tale?
Essay Topic 2
Henry Lightcap seems to be educated to simple folk and uneducated to people like Elaine, who are experts. How much does Edward Abbey value education and expertise in 'Fool's Progress'? Where is it important? Where is it shunned?
Essay Topic 3
What is Henry Lightcap's best relationship in 'Fool's Progress', and what makes it dearest to him? What relation does this relationship have with his other relationships?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)