|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Claire go when she leaves Denver?
2. What does Joe die of?
3. Where is Henry's pain in the present?
4. What does Henry almost say to James Killoran when Killoran confronts him?
5. Who is James Killoran?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Joe's funeral.
2. What does Henry lose on his way home?
3. What does Henry think about finding the job of forest ranger?
4. What is the importance of Dodge City for Henry?
5. Why does Henry almost not go home?
6. Describe the scene in which Henry met Claire.
7. Why does Henry return to New York?
8. What had Will done in the war?
9. What is Henry's experience finding work in New York?
10. Describe Henry's state, in Chapter 13, as he drives eastward.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does drinking represent in 'Fool's Progress'? What ideas or feelings is it associated with? What is Henry doing by drinking? Celebrating something, hiding something, avoiding something? What is it, and how does Abbey describe it?
Essay Topic 2
Where does the novel change voices or tones, and what do these shift in voice or tone tell us about the book? How does the prelude, for instance, frame the book by being told from another person's perspective?
Essay Topic 3
Assess the value of Henry Lightcap's lifestyle. Is it a desirable lifestyle? Is it undesirable? Why? What are the pleasures Henry knows, and what are the consequences of those pleasures? Would this lifestyle be right for you? Why or why not?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)