|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What accident does Henry cause on his way out of the interview?
2. Who tells Henry where Claire is after she leaves Denver
3. What is Henry surprised to find on the land?
4. What does Henry find work doing, at the beginning of Chapter 12?
5. What does Henry tell Myra in answer to her request?
Essay Topic 1
Henry and Elaine argue about Elaine not having orgasms. If orgasms are not the goal of Henry's treatment of women, what is? What fulfillments does he offer a woman? What does he offer instead of orgasms?
Essay Topic 2
Assess the claim that in Henry Lightcap, Edward Abbey is dramatizing Thoreau's instruction to 'simplify, simplify, simplify'? In what ways is Henry Lightcap simplifying his life? In what ways is he always complicating it? What is the value of the simplicity he espouses?
Essay Topic 3
Where does the novel change voices or tones, and what do these shift in voice or tone tell us about the book? How does the prelude, for instance, frame the book by being told from another person's perspective?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)