|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Henry find work after New York?
2. What does Myra say when Henry calls to ask her to run away with him, in Chapter 23?
3. How is Solstice looking, at the beginning of Chapter 21?
4. Why does Claire say she cannot have a relationship with Henry?
5. What was Henry swerving to avoid when he causes the accident?
Short Essay Questions
1. What had Will done in the war?
2. Describe Henry's trip to Denver to see Claire before she leaves for college.
3. What does Henry remember of his father at the funeral?
4. What are Henry's thoughts when he muses on death, in chapter 17?
5. Describe the scene in which Henry met Claire.
6. Describe Joe's funeral.
7. Describe Henry's visit to Denver to see Claire.
8. What happens in Henry's visit to Glenwood Springs to see Claire?
9. Describe Henry's interview with Gibbs Pratt.
10. What does Henry dream in the postlude?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does drinking represent in 'Fool's Progress'? What ideas or feelings is it associated with? What is Henry doing by drinking? Celebrating something, hiding something, avoiding something? What is it, and how does Abbey describe it?
Essay Topic 2
What rules does Henry Lightcap follow? How does he resolve any contradictions in his rules (i.e. rebel against authority, but keep your job, or drink but keep sharp for recording your life)?
Essay Topic 3
What purpose does Henry's secret have in the novel? What is the secret, and how does our ignorance of the secret (as well as our speculation, as Henry recounts his life stories) affect our reading experience? What do we expect the secret to be?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)