|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joe pay Henry and his brother for?
2. Who is Elaine?
3. What does Henry sell to Don Williams?
4. What does Henry roast for his housewarming party?
5. Where does Henry get a job?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Van Hoss tell Henry about Bildad?
2. Why does Joe spank Henry?
3. Describe Henry's house in El Culito.
4. What happens when Henry calls in to work?
5. Describe Henry's arrival at Van Hoss's place.
6. What does Henry think about cooking, and Elaine's cooking in particular?
7. Describe Henry's visit with Bildad.
8. Describe Henry's housewarming party.
9. What happens in the prelude?
10. What does Henry do after Elaine leaves?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Abbey feel about death? Henry Lightcap approaches it with bravado and panache, but what are Abbey's feelings about it, as the author?
Essay Topic 2
Assess the claim that in Henry Lightcap, Edward Abbey is dramatizing Thoreau's instruction to 'simplify, simplify, simplify'? In what ways is Henry Lightcap simplifying his life? In what ways is he always complicating it? What is the value of the simplicity he espouses?
Essay Topic 3
What rules does Henry Lightcap follow? How does he resolve any contradictions in his rules (i.e. rebel against authority, but keep your job, or drink but keep sharp for recording your life)?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)