Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry decide to do to soothe his nerves?
2. What did Henry's father give him when he began hitchhiking?
3. Who does Henry wake up with after the party?
4. Where is Henry Lightcap when the novel begins?
5. Who is Will?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the farm like when Will comes back from the war, and what does he do to take over?
2. What happens in Henry's visit to Glenwood Springs to see Claire?
3. What does Henry remember of his father at the funeral?
4. What do Henry's parents say about him?
5. How would you characterize Henry Lightcap's relationships with women?
6. What does Van Hoss tell Henry about Bildad?
7. What is Henry's routine for his road trip?
8. Describe Henry's visit with Bildad.
9. What is the importance of Dodge City for Henry?
10. What does Henry lose on his way home?
Essay Topic 1
In what way is Joe's desire to be buried with his relatives a measure of Henry's life? In what ways is it insufficient as a measure of the value of a person's life, to be buried with relatives? What is proposed instead, as a measure of value?
Essay Topic 2
What purpose does Henry's secret have in the novel? What is the secret, and how does our ignorance of the secret (as well as our speculation, as Henry recounts his life stories) affect our reading experience? What do we expect the secret to be?
Essay Topic 3
How does Abbey feel about death? Henry Lightcap approaches it with bravado and panache, but what are Abbey's feelings about it, as the author?
This section contains 1,322 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)