|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Henry and his brother lose their pay?
2. What does Henry do when he wakes up after Elaine leaves him?
3. What does Henry remember loving in high school?
4. What does Joe feel about Will joining the military?
5. What does Henry decide to do to soothe his nerves?
Short Essay Questions
1. When and why does Henry begin hitchhiking?
2. What happens when Henry calls in to work?
3. How would you characterize Henry Lightcap's relationships with women?
4. Describe Henry's house in El Culito.
5. What causes Henry Lightcap to think of Red Ginter?
6. Describe Henry's housewarming party.
7. Describe Henry's visit with Bildad.
8. What does Henry think about cooking, and Elaine's cooking in particular?
9. What does Henry think about Albuquerque when he stops there?
10. What is Henry's routine for his road trip?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What purpose does Henry's secret have in the novel? What is the secret, and how does our ignorance of the secret (as well as our speculation, as Henry recounts his life stories) affect our reading experience? What do we expect the secret to be?
Essay Topic 2
What is Henry Lightcap's best relationship in 'Fool's Progress', and what makes it dearest to him? What relation does this relationship have with his other relationships?
Essay Topic 3
Where does the novel change voices or tones, and what do these shift in voice or tone tell us about the book? How does the prelude, for instance, frame the book by being told from another person's perspective?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)