|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Henry find at Okie Joe's?
2. What is Joe's reaction when Henry is drafted?
3. Who was Joe?
4. Where does Henry use his credit card on his trip?
5. Where are Henry and Myra arriving, in the scene Henry remembers, in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Henry learn from his military experience?
2. What gets Henry out of New York?
3. Describe Henry's housewarming party.
4. Why doesn't Henry qualify as a marksman?
5. What does Henry think about finding the job of forest ranger?
6. What is the farm like when Will comes back from the war, and what does he do to take over?
7. What is Henry's interaction with Don Williams?
8. Why does Joe spank Henry?
9. What augury does Henry find on his trip?
10. What does Henry think about cooking, and Elaine's cooking in particular?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Henry Lightcap is a Hedonist of the first order--how does Abbey feel about sensual pleasures, and is there a contradiction in *reading* about pleasures of the flesh?
Essay Topic 2
Henry Lightcap's family is half-Shawnee. How much do Native American values matter in 'Fool's Progress'? How is this side of Henry's history represented? Make the argument that 'Fool's Progress' is a novel about the Native American experience. Or make the argument that it is not.
Essay Topic 3
Henry Lightcap seems to be educated to simple folk and uneducated to people like Elaine, who are experts. How much does Edward Abbey value education and expertise in 'Fool's Progress'? Where is it important? Where is it shunned?
This section contains 1,323 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)