|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Henry and his brother lose their pay?
2. What does Henry sell to Don Williams?
3. Who was Joe?
4. Who is the first guest at Henry's housewarming party?
5. What does Henry find when he wakes up after the party?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Henry think about Albuquerque when he stops there?
2. What is Henry's dog's name, and what is its symbolism?
3. Who is Roggoway, and what is Henry's interaction with him?
4. How does Henry get across the country without much money?
5. Describe Henry's relationship with his brother Will.
6. What does Henry do after Elaine leaves?
7. Describe Henry's arrival at Van Hoss's place.
8. Why doesn't Henry qualify as a marksman?
9. What does Henry learn from his military experience?
10. What is Henry's interaction with Don Williams?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a review that assesses the value of 'Fool's Progress.' What does the book do that is different from what it sets out to do? Is there a moral, and if so, what does it teach? Is it a cautionary tale?
Essay Topic 2
What purpose does Henry's secret have in the novel? What is the secret, and how does our ignorance of the secret (as well as our speculation, as Henry recounts his life stories) affect our reading experience? What do we expect the secret to be?
Essay Topic 3
How does Abbey feel about death? Henry Lightcap approaches it with bravado and panache, but what are Abbey's feelings about it, as the author?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)