|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Blacklick?
2. What is Henry's dog's name?
3. Why did Henry begin hitchhiking?
4. What does Henry do in his irritation?
5. Who is Myra?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Henry get across the country without much money?
2. How does Henry fall in love with the West?
3. What does Henry think about Albuquerque when he stops there?
4. When and why does Henry begin hitchhiking?
5. Describe Henry's housewarming party.
6. Describe Henry's dinner with Van Hoss.
7. What do Henry's parents say about him?
8. What does Henry think about cooking, and Elaine's cooking in particular?
9. What does Henry do after Elaine leaves?
10. Describe Henry's relationship with his brother Will.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Henry Lightcap is a Hedonist of the first order--how does Abbey feel about sensual pleasures, and is there a contradiction in *reading* about pleasures of the flesh?
Essay Topic 2
How consistent is 'Fool's Progress'? Do the characterizations established in the first few chapters hold true for the rest of the book? How are any exceptions dealt with? Does the book end close to where it started?
Essay Topic 3
Write a review that assesses the value of 'Fool's Progress.' What does the book do that is different from what it sets out to do? Is there a moral, and if so, what does it teach? Is it a cautionary tale?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)