|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry hear when he wakes up, in Chapter 3?
2. Where does Henry get a job?
3. What does Henry discover when he calls work, in Chapter 3?
4. What does the thing Henry smells remind him of?
5. What does Henry give his dog when he is packing his truck?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Henry calls in to work?
2. What is Henry's routine for his road trip?
3. What causes Henry Lightcap to think of Red Ginter?
4. What is Henry's relationship with the landscape?
5. What does Henry learn from his military experience?
6. Describe Henry's dinner with Van Hoss.
7. Describe Henry's relationships at the beginning of the novel.
8. How would you characterize Henry Lightcap's relationships with women?
9. Describe Henry's house in El Culito.
10. What is Henry's experience of the war like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In chapter two, Joe remarks that Henry is in for a troubled life, and Lorraine says that at least it won't be a dull life. In what ways is Henry troubled? In what ways is his life the opposite of dull? (In what ways is he hardly troubled? In what ways is his life dull?)
Essay Topic 2
What does drinking represent in 'Fool's Progress'? What ideas or feelings is it associated with? What is Henry doing by drinking? Celebrating something, hiding something, avoiding something? What is it, and how does Abbey describe it?
Essay Topic 3
What rules does Henry Lightcap follow? How does he resolve any contradictions in his rules (i.e. rebel against authority, but keep your job, or drink but keep sharp for recording your life)?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)