|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joe warn Henry not to do?
2. What is Myra's response to Henry's new job?
3. What does Joe feel about Will joining the military?
4. What does Henry sell to Don Williams?
5. Where does Henry find himself, in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Henry's interaction with Don Williams?
2. How does Henry fall in love with the West?
3. Describe Henry's dinner with Van Hoss.
4. Why does Joe spank Henry?
5. What is Henry's plan when he sets out on his trip?
6. What does Henry do after Elaine leaves?
7. What does Henry find when he gets to the bank?
8. Describe Henry's visit with Bildad.
9. What does Henry think about Albuquerque when he stops there?
10. What do Henry's parents say about him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Henry Lightcap is a Hedonist of the first order--how does Abbey feel about sensual pleasures, and is there a contradiction in *reading* about pleasures of the flesh?
Essay Topic 2
In chapter two, Joe remarks that Henry is in for a troubled life, and Lorraine says that at least it won't be a dull life. In what ways is Henry troubled? In what ways is his life the opposite of dull? (In what ways is he hardly troubled? In what ways is his life dull?)
Essay Topic 3
Assess the value of Henry Lightcap's lifestyle. Is it a desirable lifestyle? Is it undesirable? Why? What are the pleasures Henry knows, and what are the consequences of those pleasures? Would this lifestyle be right for you? Why or why not?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)