|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Red Ginter?
2. Who does Henry find at Okie Joe's?
3. What does Henry's mother see in Henry's personality?
4. What is set on fire during the housewarming party?
5. What amenity is NOT missing from the building Henry and Myra arrive at?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Henry's relationships at the beginning of the novel.
2. How does Henry fall in love with the West?
3. What does Henry learn from his military experience?
4. What causes Henry Lightcap to think of Red Ginter?
5. Describe Henry's housewarming party.
6. How does Henry get across the country without much money?
7. What does Henry do after Elaine leaves?
8. Describe Henry's house in El Culito.
9. What is Henry's dog's name, and what is its symbolism?
10. What happens in the prelude?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way is the prelude a representation of the book as a whole? What theme does it introduce, and how is that theme developed?
Essay Topic 2
What are Abbey's feelings about women? Are there women who make exceptions to his general feelings? What role does feminism play in 'Fool's Progress'? In what ways are women powerful creatures, who are already in charge of things?
Essay Topic 3
What is Henry Lightcap's best relationship in 'Fool's Progress', and what makes it dearest to him? What relation does this relationship have with his other relationships?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)