|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Henry call to take time off from work?
2. What field was Henry studying?
3. What does Henry stop for, in Chapter 5?
4. How does Henry recall he hurt Elaine's feelings?
5. What is Blacklick?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Henry's house in El Culito.
2. What is Henry's relationship with the landscape?
3. Describe Henry's visit with Bildad.
4. Describe Henry's housewarming party.
5. Describe Will's decision to fight in WWII and its effect on the family.
6. What is Henry's dog's name, and what is its symbolism?
7. What does Henry think about Albuquerque when he stops there?
8. What is Henry's interaction with Don Williams?
9. Describe Henry's relationships at the beginning of the novel.
10. Why does Joe spank Henry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Henry Lightcap's best relationship in 'Fool's Progress', and what makes it dearest to him? What relation does this relationship have with his other relationships?
Essay Topic 2
What does drinking represent in 'Fool's Progress'? What ideas or feelings is it associated with? What is Henry doing by drinking? Celebrating something, hiding something, avoiding something? What is it, and how does Abbey describe it?
Essay Topic 3
Henry and Elaine argue about Elaine not having orgasms. If orgasms are not the goal of Henry's treatment of women, what is? What fulfillments does he offer a woman? What does he offer instead of orgasms?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)