|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Don Williams?
2. Who is the first guest at Henry's housewarming party?
3. Where is Henry Lightcap when the novel begins?
4. What problems of the Indians' do Henry and Don Williams lament together?
5. Where is Myra when Henry wakes up after the party?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Henry qualify as a marksman?
2. Describe Henry's relationships at the beginning of the novel.
3. Describe Henry's visit with Bildad.
4. Describe Henry's house in El Culito.
5. Describe Henry's arrival at Van Hoss's place.
6. When and why does Henry begin hitchhiking?
7. What do Henry's parents say about him?
8. Who is Red Ginter and what role does he play in Henry Lightcap's childhood?
9. What happens when Henry calls in to work?
10. What is Henry's dog's name, and what is its symbolism?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way is Joe's desire to be buried with his relatives a measure of Henry's life? In what ways is it insufficient as a measure of the value of a person's life, to be buried with relatives? What is proposed instead, as a measure of value?
Essay Topic 2
What are Abbey's feelings about women? Are there women who make exceptions to his general feelings? What role does feminism play in 'Fool's Progress'? In what ways are women powerful creatures, who are already in charge of things?
Essay Topic 3
Henry and Elaine argue about Elaine not having orgasms. If orgasms are not the goal of Henry's treatment of women, what is? What fulfillments does he offer a woman? What does he offer instead of orgasms?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)