|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Henry punished with nightly drills?
2. What does Henry do in his irritation?
3. What does Henry remember loving in high school?
4. What does Henry discover when he calls work, in Chapter 3?
5. How did the game Henry and Will and their friends played against their rivals end?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Joe's funeral.
2. Why doesn't Henry qualify as a marksman?
3. What are Henry's fears about going home?
4. What is the farm like when Will comes back from the war, and what does he do to take over?
5. What does Henry remember of his father at the funeral?
6. What are Henry's thoughts when he muses on death, in chapter 17?
7. Describe Henry's visit to Denver to see Claire.
8. How would you characterize Henry Lightcap's relationships with women?
9. Describe Henry's interview with Gibbs Pratt.
10. Describe Will's decision to fight in WWII and its effect on the family.
Essay Topic 1
What purpose does Henry's secret have in the novel? What is the secret, and how does our ignorance of the secret (as well as our speculation, as Henry recounts his life stories) affect our reading experience? What do we expect the secret to be?
Essay Topic 2
What is Henry Lightcap's best relationship in 'Fool's Progress', and what makes it dearest to him? What relation does this relationship have with his other relationships?
Essay Topic 3
What rules does Henry Lightcap follow? How does he resolve any contradictions in his rules (i.e. rebel against authority, but keep your job, or drink but keep sharp for recording your life)?
This section contains 1,449 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)