|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Will join the military?
2. What city is Henry approaching when he notices the poverty of the area?
3. What does Henry discover when he calls work, in Chapter 3?
4. What does the thing Henry smells remind him of?
5. What is Joe's reaction when Henry is drafted?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Henry's routine for his road trip?
2. What happens when Henry calls in to work?
3. Describe Henry's relationship with his brother Will.
4. What is Henry's plan when he sets out on his trip?
5. What is Henry's relationship with the landscape?
6. What does Henry learn from his military experience?
7. When and why does Henry begin hitchhiking?
8. Who is Red Ginter and what role does he play in Henry Lightcap's childhood?
9. Why does Joe spank Henry?
10. What is Henry's experience of the war like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How consistent is 'Fool's Progress'? Do the characterizations established in the first few chapters hold true for the rest of the book? How are any exceptions dealt with? Does the book end close to where it started?
Essay Topic 2
What is Henry's relationship with his family? In what ways is he a misfit? In what ways is he one of them?
Essay Topic 3
In what way is the prelude a representation of the book as a whole? What theme does it introduce, and how is that theme developed?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)