|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry do when he wakes up after Elaine leaves him?
2. What does Henry find when he gets to the bank, in Chapter 3?
3. When is the time period of the scenes Henry remembers?
4. Where does Henry find himself, in Chapter 7?
5. What does Henry remember, in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Henry's plan when he sets out on his trip?
2. When and why does Henry begin hitchhiking?
3. Describe Will's decision to fight in WWII and its effect on the family.
4. How does Henry get across the country without much money?
5. Why does Joe spank Henry?
6. What does Henry find when he gets to the bank?
7. Describe Henry's housewarming party.
8. Describe Henry's relationships at the beginning of the novel.
9. How does Henry fall in love with the West?
10. What is Henry's experience of the war like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a review that assesses the value of 'Fool's Progress.' What does the book do that is different from what it sets out to do? Is there a moral, and if so, what does it teach? Is it a cautionary tale?
Essay Topic 2
In chapter two, Joe remarks that Henry is in for a troubled life, and Lorraine says that at least it won't be a dull life. In what ways is Henry troubled? In what ways is his life the opposite of dull? (In what ways is he hardly troubled? In what ways is his life dull?)
Essay Topic 3
Assess the value of Henry Lightcap's lifestyle. Is it a desirable lifestyle? Is it undesirable? Why? What are the pleasures Henry knows, and what are the consequences of those pleasures? Would this lifestyle be right for you? Why or why not?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)