|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first guest at Henry's housewarming party?
2. How does Henry respond when he was called back to work from a smoke break?
3. What is Myra's response to the building she and Henry arrive at?
4. What does Henry plan to do, after entertaining his memories?
5. What does Henry think about when he stops to go to the bathroom, in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Henry's plan when he sets out on his trip?
2. What causes Henry Lightcap to think of Red Ginter?
3. What happens in the prelude?
4. Describe Henry's house in El Culito.
5. What is Henry's routine for his road trip?
6. What does Henry do after Elaine leaves?
7. Describe Henry's arrival at Van Hoss's place.
8. Why doesn't Henry qualify as a marksman?
9. What is Henry's dog's name, and what is its symbolism?
10. What is Henry's interaction with Don Williams?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Assess the value of Henry Lightcap's lifestyle. Is it a desirable lifestyle? Is it undesirable? Why? What are the pleasures Henry knows, and what are the consequences of those pleasures? Would this lifestyle be right for you? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Henry Lightcap seems to be educated to simple folk and uneducated to people like Elaine, who are experts. How much does Edward Abbey value education and expertise in 'Fool's Progress'? Where is it important? Where is it shunned?
Essay Topic 3
Where does the novel change voices or tones, and what do these shift in voice or tone tell us about the book? How does the prelude, for instance, frame the book by being told from another person's perspective?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)