|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What amenity is NOT missing from the building Henry and Myra arrive at?
2. What does Henry's committee say about his thesis?
3. Why did Will join the military?
4. What field was Henry studying?
5. Who is Jenny?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Henry qualify as a marksman?
2. Who is Red Ginter and what role does he play in Henry Lightcap's childhood?
3. Describe Henry's house in El Culito.
4. What does Henry do after Elaine leaves?
5. Describe Henry's visit with Bildad.
6. What happens in the prelude?
7. What causes Henry Lightcap to think of Red Ginter?
8. What does Henry find when he gets to the bank?
9. What happens when Henry calls in to work?
10. Describe Henry's housewarming party.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Where does the novel change voices or tones, and what do these shift in voice or tone tell us about the book? How does the prelude, for instance, frame the book by being told from another person's perspective?
Essay Topic 2
In what way is the prelude a representation of the book as a whole? What theme does it introduce, and how is that theme developed?
Essay Topic 3
What rules does Henry Lightcap follow? How does he resolve any contradictions in his rules (i.e. rebel against authority, but keep your job, or drink but keep sharp for recording your life)?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)