|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry roast for his housewarming party?
2. Why did Henry begin hitchhiking?
3. What does Henry remember smoking in the barn?
4. What does Henry hear when he wakes up, in Chapter 3?
5. How much does Don Williams give Henry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Will's decision to fight in WWII and its effect on the family.
2. Why does Joe spank Henry?
3. What is Henry's experience of the war like?
4. What is Henry's routine for his road trip?
5. What does Henry do after Elaine leaves?
6. What is Henry's interaction with Don Williams?
7. What does Henry learn from his military experience?
8. Describe Henry's relationships at the beginning of the novel.
9. What is Henry's plan when he sets out on his trip?
10. Who is Red Ginter and what role does he play in Henry Lightcap's childhood?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way is the prelude a representation of the book as a whole? What theme does it introduce, and how is that theme developed?
Essay Topic 2
How consistent is 'Fool's Progress'? Do the characterizations established in the first few chapters hold true for the rest of the book? How are any exceptions dealt with? Does the book end close to where it started?
Essay Topic 3
Assess the claim that in Henry Lightcap, Edward Abbey is dramatizing Thoreau's instruction to 'simplify, simplify, simplify'? In what ways is Henry Lightcap simplifying his life? In what ways is he always complicating it? What is the value of the simplicity he espouses?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)