Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry decide to do to soothe his nerves?
2. What did Henry's father give him when he began hitchhiking?
3. Who does Henry wake up with after the party?
4. Where is Henry Lightcap when the novel begins?
5. Who is Will?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the farm like when Will comes back from the war, and what does he do to take over?
2. What happens in Henry's visit to Glenwood Springs to see Claire?
3. What does Henry remember of his father at the funeral?
4. What do Henry's parents say about him?
5. How would you characterize Henry Lightcap's relationships with women?
6. What does Van Hoss tell Henry about Bildad?
7. What is Henry's routine for his road trip?
8. Describe Henry's visit with Bildad.
9. What is the importance of Dodge City for Henry?
10. What does Henry lose on his way home?
Essay Topic 1
What purpose does Henry's secret have in the novel? What is the secret, and how does our ignorance of the secret (as well as our speculation, as Henry recounts his life stories) affect our reading experience? What do we expect the secret to be?
Essay Topic 2
Henry Lightcap's family is half-Shawnee. How much do Native American values matter in 'Fool's Progress'? How is this side of Henry's history represented? Make the argument that 'Fool's Progress' is a novel about the Native American experience. Or make the argument that it is not.
Essay Topic 3
What does drinking represent in 'Fool's Progress'? What ideas or feelings is it associated with? What is Henry doing by drinking? Celebrating something, hiding something, avoiding something? What is it, and how does Abbey describe it?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)