|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Henry find himself, in Chapter 7?
2. Who is Myra?
3. What amenity is NOT missing from the building Henry and Myra arrive at?
4. Who is Will?
5. What state is the building in that Henry and Myra arrive at?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Van Hoss tell Henry about Bildad?
2. How does Henry fall in love with the West?
3. Why doesn't Henry qualify as a marksman?
4. What is Henry's dog's name, and what is its symbolism?
5. What does Henry think about Albuquerque when he stops there?
6. What does Henry learn from his military experience?
7. Describe Henry's house in El Culito.
8. What is Henry's interaction with Don Williams?
9. Why does Joe spank Henry?
10. What happens when Henry calls in to work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Assess the claim that in Henry Lightcap, Edward Abbey is dramatizing Thoreau's instruction to 'simplify, simplify, simplify'? In what ways is Henry Lightcap simplifying his life? In what ways is he always complicating it? What is the value of the simplicity he espouses?
Essay Topic 2
How consistent is 'Fool's Progress'? Do the characterizations established in the first few chapters hold true for the rest of the book? How are any exceptions dealt with? Does the book end close to where it started?
Essay Topic 3
In what way is Joe's desire to be buried with his relatives a measure of Henry's life? In what ways is it insufficient as a measure of the value of a person's life, to be buried with relatives? What is proposed instead, as a measure of value?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)