|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry sell to Don Williams?
2. What is Joe's reaction when Henry is drafted?
3. How does Henry respond when he was called back to work from a smoke break?
4. What does Henry discover when he calls work, in Chapter 3?
5. What was Henry's primary love in high school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Henry think about cooking, and Elaine's cooking in particular?
2. When and why does Henry begin hitchhiking?
3. How does Henry fall in love with the West?
4. Describe Will's decision to fight in WWII and its effect on the family.
5. Why doesn't Henry qualify as a marksman?
6. What does Van Hoss tell Henry about Bildad?
7. Describe Henry's relationships at the beginning of the novel.
8. How would you characterize Henry Lightcap's relationships with women?
9. Describe Henry's visit with Bildad.
10. What do Henry's parents say about him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What purpose does Henry's secret have in the novel? What is the secret, and how does our ignorance of the secret (as well as our speculation, as Henry recounts his life stories) affect our reading experience? What do we expect the secret to be?
Essay Topic 2
What rules does Henry Lightcap follow? How does he resolve any contradictions in his rules (i.e. rebel against authority, but keep your job, or drink but keep sharp for recording your life)?
Essay Topic 3
What are Abbey's feelings about women? Are there women who make exceptions to his general feelings? What role does feminism play in 'Fool's Progress'? In what ways are women powerful creatures, who are already in charge of things?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)