|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Henry get a job?
2. What was Henry's primary love in high school?
3. What is the literary device called in which Henry remembers therapy with Elaine?
4. What is Henry annoyed by after Elaine leaves?
5. What does Henry tell Myra about the fact that amenities are missing in the building?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Claire die?
2. What are Henry's fears about going home?
3. Describe the scene in which Henry met Claire.
4. Why does Henry almost not go home?
5. Who is Roggoway, and what is Henry's interaction with him?
6. What happens when Henry calls in to work?
7. Describe Henry's visit to Denver to see Claire.
8. How does Henry get across the country without much money?
9. Describe Henry's interview with Gibbs Pratt.
10. What is Henry's routine for his road trip?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does drinking represent in 'Fool's Progress'? What ideas or feelings is it associated with? What is Henry doing by drinking? Celebrating something, hiding something, avoiding something? What is it, and how does Abbey describe it?
Essay Topic 2
In what way is the prelude a representation of the book as a whole? What theme does it introduce, and how is that theme developed?
Essay Topic 3
Assess the claim that in Henry Lightcap, Edward Abbey is dramatizing Thoreau's instruction to 'simplify, simplify, simplify'? In what ways is Henry Lightcap simplifying his life? In what ways is he always complicating it? What is the value of the simplicity he espouses?
This section contains 1,409 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)