|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry decide to do to soothe his nerves?
2. What did Henry's father give him when he began hitchhiking?
3. Who does Henry wake up with after the party?
4. Where is Henry Lightcap when the novel begins?
5. Who is Will?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the farm like when Will comes back from the war, and what does he do to take over?
2. What happens in Henry's visit to Glenwood Springs to see Claire?
3. What does Henry remember of his father at the funeral?
4. What do Henry's parents say about him?
5. How would you characterize Henry Lightcap's relationships with women?
6. What does Van Hoss tell Henry about Bildad?
7. What is Henry's routine for his road trip?
8. Describe Henry's visit with Bildad.
9. What is the importance of Dodge City for Henry?
10. What does Henry lose on his way home?
Essay Topic 1
Write a review that assesses the value of 'Fool's Progress.' What does the book do that is different from what it sets out to do? Is there a moral, and if so, what does it teach? Is it a cautionary tale?
Essay Topic 2
In what way is the prelude a representation of the book as a whole? What theme does it introduce, and how is that theme developed?
Essay Topic 3
Henry and Elaine argue about Elaine not having orgasms. If orgasms are not the goal of Henry's treatment of women, what is? What fulfillments does he offer a woman? What does he offer instead of orgasms?
This section contains 1,322 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)