|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry remember, in Chapter 2?
2. What is the literary device called in which Henry remembers therapy with Elaine?
3. What is Henry's dog's name?
4. Who was Joe?
5. Where does Henry find himself, in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Henry's interaction with Don Williams?
2. What happens in the prelude?
3. How would you characterize Henry Lightcap's relationships with women?
4. What is Henry's routine for his road trip?
5. Describe Henry's relationship with his brother Will.
6. What does Henry find when he gets to the bank?
7. Describe Henry's relationships at the beginning of the novel.
8. When and why does Henry begin hitchhiking?
9. What is Henry's relationship with the landscape?
10. What is Henry's experience of the war like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In chapter two, Joe remarks that Henry is in for a troubled life, and Lorraine says that at least it won't be a dull life. In what ways is Henry troubled? In what ways is his life the opposite of dull? (In what ways is he hardly troubled? In what ways is his life dull?)
Essay Topic 2
Henry Lightcap's family is half-Shawnee. How much do Native American values matter in 'Fool's Progress'? How is this side of Henry's history represented? Make the argument that 'Fool's Progress' is a novel about the Native American experience. Or make the argument that it is not.
Essay Topic 3
What purpose does Henry's secret have in the novel? What is the secret, and how does our ignorance of the secret (as well as our speculation, as Henry recounts his life stories) affect our reading experience? What do we expect the secret to be?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)