|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joe pay Henry and his brother for?
2. Who does Henry think of as he nears Albuquerque?
3. Who is Elaine?
4. What does Henry do when he wakes up, in Chapter 7?
5. How long does Henry ask Myra to suspend judgment for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Henry's interaction with Don Williams?
2. Who is Roggoway, and what is Henry's interaction with him?
3. How would you characterize Henry Lightcap's relationships with women?
4. Describe Will's decision to fight in WWII and its effect on the family.
5. What is Henry's plan when he sets out on his trip?
6. Describe Henry's relationships at the beginning of the novel.
7. Describe Henry's housewarming party.
8. What is Henry's dog's name, and what is its symbolism?
9. What does Henry do after Elaine leaves?
10. What happens in the prelude?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What rules does Henry Lightcap follow? How does he resolve any contradictions in his rules (i.e. rebel against authority, but keep your job, or drink but keep sharp for recording your life)?
Essay Topic 2
Henry Lightcap seems to be educated to simple folk and uneducated to people like Elaine, who are experts. How much does Edward Abbey value education and expertise in 'Fool's Progress'? Where is it important? Where is it shunned?
Essay Topic 3
Write a review that assesses the value of 'Fool's Progress.' What does the book do that is different from what it sets out to do? Is there a moral, and if so, what does it teach? Is it a cautionary tale?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)