|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry lament in Santa Fe?
2. What is the literary device called in which Henry remembers therapy with Elaine?
3. Why can't Don Williams drink any more?
4. How does Henry recall he hurt Elaine's feelings?
5. What happened to Henry the summer when he was 15?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Henry qualify as a marksman?
2. What does Henry think about cooking, and Elaine's cooking in particular?
3. Describe Henry's dinner with Van Hoss.
4. Why does Joe spank Henry?
5. What is Henry's relationship with the landscape?
6. Describe Henry's house in El Culito.
7. Describe Henry's relationships at the beginning of the novel.
8. What happens when Henry calls in to work?
9. Describe Henry's relationship with his brother Will.
10. What is Henry's experience of the war like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way is the prelude a representation of the book as a whole? What theme does it introduce, and how is that theme developed?
Essay Topic 2
Assess the value of Henry Lightcap's lifestyle. Is it a desirable lifestyle? Is it undesirable? Why? What are the pleasures Henry knows, and what are the consequences of those pleasures? Would this lifestyle be right for you? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Henry Lightcap's family is half-Shawnee. How much do Native American values matter in 'Fool's Progress'? How is this side of Henry's history represented? Make the argument that 'Fool's Progress' is a novel about the Native American experience. Or make the argument that it is not.
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)