|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry think about doing while he is driving?
2. Where is Myra when Henry wakes up after the party?
3. Who does Henry wake up with after the party?
4. What does Henry stop for, in Chapter 5?
5. How do Henry and his brother lose their pay?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Will's decision to fight in WWII and its effect on the family.
2. Describe Henry's house in El Culito.
3. Describe Henry's housewarming party.
4. What had Will done in the war?
5. What is Henry's interaction with Don Williams?
6. What does Henry learn from his military experience?
7. What do Henry's parents say about him?
8. Describe Solstice's death.
9. What does Henry do after Elaine leaves?
10. What happens when Henry calls in to work?
Essay Topic 1
Assess the value of Henry Lightcap's lifestyle. Is it a desirable lifestyle? Is it undesirable? Why? What are the pleasures Henry knows, and what are the consequences of those pleasures? Would this lifestyle be right for you? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Where does the novel change voices or tones, and what do these shift in voice or tone tell us about the book? How does the prelude, for instance, frame the book by being told from another person's perspective?
Essay Topic 3
Write a review that assesses the value of 'Fool's Progress.' What does the book do that is different from what it sets out to do? Is there a moral, and if so, what does it teach? Is it a cautionary tale?
This section contains 1,330 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)