|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As a former ranger, what does Henry speak to groups about?
(a) The history of the land.
(d) The fragility of the ecosystem.
2. What does Will say when Henry asks him why he threw the thing into Joe's grave?
(a) He didn't want to see the thing around.
(b) He wanted Joe to have it.
(c) He saved all the working parts from the thing.
(d) He knew that Joe wouldn't want anyone else to have it.
3. Who does Henry think about when he arrives in St. Louis?
(a) General Custer.
(b) Mark Twain.
(c) Abraham Lincoln.
(d) Lewis and Clark.
4. Why doesn'tt Henry meet Claire in Denver before she leaves for college?
(a) He cannot find her address.
(b) He never makes it to Denver.
(c) He hears a man with her.
(d) He gets drunk and passes out.
5. What does Henry find work doing, at the beginning of Chapter 12?
(c) Highway department foreman.
(d) Park ranger.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry remember, at the beginning of Chapter 14?
2. Where is Henry when he calls Claire, at the beginning of Chapter 20?
3. When does Chapter 22 take place?
4. What do Henry and Will discuss when they walk along the fence, in Chapter 22?
5. What draws Will's attention to Joe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Henry's trip to Denver to see Claire before she leaves for college.
2. What augury does Henry find on his trip?
3. What is the importance of Dodge City for Henry?
4. What are Henry's fears about going home?
5. What are Henry's thoughts when he muses on death, in chapter 17?
6. Describe Solstice's death.
7. What does Henry lose on his way home?
8. What does Henry think about finding the job of forest ranger?
9. What are Henry's thoughts when he arrives in St. Louis?
10. Why does Henry return to New York?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)