|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Will find work after returning from the war?
(c) Building roads.
(d) Driving trucks for the lumber company.
2. Where are Henry and Claire married?
(a) Mt. Rushmore.
(b) The Grand Canyon.
(c) Muir Woods.
3. For how long do Joe and Will hardly speak?
(d) A few days.
4. Why does Claire say she cannot have a relationship with Henry?
(a) She is too young.
(b) She is religious.
(c) He is drinking too much.
(d) He is too violent.
5. Where does Myra go to when she leaves Henry?
(b) New York.
(c) Washington, D.C.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the preacher talk about at Joe's funeral?
2. What does Henry almost say to James Killoran when Killoran confronts him?
3. What happens when Henry tries to buy oil with his card, in Chapter 23?
4. What does Joe die of?
5. What does Will say when Henry asks him why he threw the thing into Joe's grave?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Henry return to New York?
2. Why does Henry almost not go home?
3. What is Henry's experience finding work in New York?
4. What gets Henry out of New York?
5. What does Myra ask Henry to do about her pregnancy?
6. What is the farm like when Will comes back from the war, and what does he do to take over?
7. What are Henry's thoughts when he muses on death, in chapter 17?
8. Describe Joe's funeral.
9. Describe Henry's interview with Gibbs Pratt.
10. What is the importance of Dodge City for Henry?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)