|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Will find when he returns from the war?
(a) His parents dead and gone.
(b) The farm in ruins.
(c) His girlfriend married.
(d) Henry in jail.
2. What does Claire play at the event she invites Henry to?
(a) The savant.
(c) The fool.
3. How long had it been since Henry and Myra have been together when Henry arrives in New York?
(a) Two years.
(b) Six months.
(c) Three months.
(d) A year.
4. What does the preacher talk about at Joe's funeral?
(a) Joe's debts.
(b) Joe's infidelities.
(c) Joe's good character.
(d) Joe's lack of faith.
5. What does Grace tell Henry she thinks of him when she calls him?
(a) That he is dangerous.
(b) That he is a good man.
(c) That he did his best.
(d) That he is a victim.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Henry surprised to find on the land?
2. How is Henry's health when he arrives in St. Louis?
3. What has Will given up farming for?
4. What does Grace think of Henry?
5. How long is Henry determined to work for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene in which Henry met Claire.
2. What does Myra ask Henry to do about her pregnancy?
3. How does Claire die?
4. What are Henry's fears about going home?
5. What are Henry's thoughts when he muses on death, in chapter 17?
6. What is the importance of Dodge City for Henry?
7. What had Will done in the war?
8. Describe Joe's funeral.
9. What does Henry dream in the postlude?
10. Describe Henry's interview with Gibbs Pratt.
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)