|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to Henry the summer when he was 15?
(a) His parents split up.
(b) He lost his virginity.
(c) He had his first drink.
(d) He learned to drive.
2. What does Henry remember loving in high school?
(b) Watching girls.
(d) His teachers.
3. Why is Henry punished with nightly drills?
(a) For stealing.
(b) For asking why he was going to war.
(c) For incompetence.
(d) For disobedience.
4. What does Henry lament in Santa Fe?
(a) The nuclear reactor.
(b) The loss of beauty in the land.
(c) The iron mills.
(d) The poverty.
5. What is Joe's reaction when Henry is drafted?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry do when he wakes up after Elaine leaves him?
2. Who does Henry think of as he nears Albuquerque?
3. What kind of school does Henry Lightcap attend?
4. Who does Henry find at Okie Joe's?
5. What does Henry find when he gets to the bank, in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Henry and Claire's daughter?
2. Describe Henry's relationships at the beginning of the novel.
3. How does Henry fall in love with the West?
4. What does Henry dream in the postlude?
5. What does Myra ask Henry to do about her pregnancy?
6. How does Henry get across the country without much money?
7. Describe the scene in which Henry met Claire.
8. Describe Henry's visit to Denver to see Claire.
9. What is Henry's experience finding work in New York?
10. What do Henry's parents say about him?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)