|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Henry tell Myra in answer to her request?
(a) He may not be able to help.
(b) He can help.
(c) He will find the father.
(d) He refuses to help.
2. What does Grace tell Henry she thinks of him when she calls him?
(a) That he is a good man.
(b) That he did his best.
(c) That he is dangerous.
(d) That he is a victim.
3. What draws Will's attention to Joe?
(a) A woodpecker.
(b) A sapsucker.
(c) A crow.
(d) A mourning dove.
4. What was Henry swerving to avoid when he causes the accident?
(a) A cow.
(b) A man.
(c) A car.
(d) A dog.
5. What has Will given up farming for?
(b) Running a store.
(c) Working in a factory.
(d) Selling insurance.
6. Who helps Will dig Joe's grave?
(a) Old Dan.
(b) Bill Gatlin.
(d) Van Hoss.
7. How is Henry's health when he arrives in St. Louis?
(a) Not good.
(b) He has aches and pains, but nothing major.
(d) A little queasy.
8. What does Myra say when Henry calls to ask her to run away with him, in Chapter 23?
(a) That she never wants to hear from him.
(b) That it's too late for them.
(c) That she's happily married.
(d) That she'll never forgive him.
9. What does Joe ask Will for when Will finds him?
10. Where does Will find Joe?
(a) Crushed under a tree.
(b) In a ditch.
(c) In a small cell.
(d) In a bar.
11. What does the preacher talk about at Joe's funeral?
(a) Joe's debts.
(b) Joe's lack of faith.
(c) Joe's good character.
(d) Joe's infidelities.
12. What do Henry and Myra do when he gets to New York?
(a) Sail to Europe.
(b) Make love.
(c) Drive to Maine.
13. What does Claire tell Henry she thinks about him?
(a) He isn't really coming.
(b) He is too good for her.
(c) He isn't serious.
(d) He is going to be too passionate.
14. What does Henry find work doing, at the beginning of Chapter 12?
(c) Park ranger.
(d) Highway department foreman.
15. What happens when Henry tries to buy oil with his card, in Chapter 23?
(a) He is arrested.
(b) He is refused.
(c) The clerk lets him go.
(d) He is retained.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Henry feel about the job Bat Lanahan found for him?
2. Where does Myra go to when she leaves Henry?
3. What does Claire invite Henry to?
4. What does Claire play at the event she invites Henry to?
5. Where does Bat Lanahan find Henry a job?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)