|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Henry think will happen when he dies?
(a) He will be reborn.
(b) He will be nothing.
(c) He will be in purgatory.
(d) He will be in heaven.
2. How long had it been since Henry and Myra have been together when Henry arrives in New York?
(a) Two years.
(b) Three months.
(c) A year.
(d) Six months.
3. What does Henry ask Claire to do after the concert?
(a) Move in with him.
(b) Marry him.
(c) Make love with him.
(d) Give him money.
4. What does Henry remember, at the beginning of Chapter 14?
(a) Myra's divorcing him.
(b) His father's death.
(c) His mother's death.
(d) His work at the forest ranger's station.
5. What does Grace tell Henry she thinks of him when she calls him?
(a) That he did his best.
(b) That he is dangerous.
(c) That he is a good man.
(d) That he is a victim.
6. What does Claire tell Henry she thinks about him?
(a) He isn't really coming.
(b) He is too good for her.
(c) He is going to be too passionate.
(d) He isn't serious.
7. What is Henry afraid of bringing to Will?
(a) His memories.
(b) His dog.
(c) His troubles.
(d) His stories.
8. What does Henry plan to do when he meets Claire?
(a) Take her for a picnic.
(b) Take her to the theatre.
(c) Abduct her.
(d) Take her for a drive.
9. What does Grace think of Henry?
(a) He is a good catch for Claire.
(b) He is misdirected.
(c) He is a genius.
(d) He is a loafer.
10. What does Claire play at the event she invites Henry to?
(a) The savant.
(b) The fool.
11. What do Henry and Will discuss when they walk along the fence, in Chapter 22?
(a) Will's financial prospects.
(b) Will's store's career.
(c) Will's resistance to modernization.
(d) Will's back taxes.
12. Where does Henry have his interview?
(a) The Welfare Department.
(b) Okie Joe's.
(c) Gibbs Pratt's home.
(d) The highway department's offices.
13. What does Henry take while driving through Kansas?
(a) A hit from a joint.
(b) A pain pill.
(c) A shot of morphine.
(d) A strong drink.
14. Where does Claire go when she leaves Denver?
(c) New York.
(d) Rhode Island.
15. What does Will throw into Joe's grave?
(a) Joe's hand radio.
(b) Joe's pocketknife.
(c) Joe's pipe.
(d) Joe's chainsaw.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Henry swerving to avoid when he causes the accident?
2. Where are Henry and Claire married?
3. What does Will find when he returns from the war?
4. Why does Claire say she cannot have a relationship with Henry?
5. What does Myra give Henry after he leaves New York?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)