|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Henry afraid of bringing to Will?
(a) His dog.
(b) His troubles.
(c) His stories.
(d) His memories.
2. What do Henry and Myra do when he gets to New York?
(b) Make love.
(c) Sail to Europe.
(d) Drive to Maine.
3. How does Henry feel about the job Bat Lanahan found for him?
(a) Pleasant enough.
4. What does Will despise when he returns home?
(a) The strip malls.
(b) The coal strip.
(c) The roads.
(d) The clear-cuttings.
5. What does Claire play at the event she invites Henry to?
(b) The fool.
(c) The savant.
6. Where does Bat Lanahan find Henry a job?
(a) The Department of Public Works.
(b) The Welfare Department.
(c) The Education Department.
(d) The Highway Department.
7. What augury does Henry find in the hotel, in the beginning of Chapter 13?
(a) Something about death and transformation.
(b) Something about help from the hills.
(c) Something about cats and water.
(d) Something about the river and time.
8. What accident does Henry cause on his way out of the interview?
(a) He drives into a house.
(b) He hits a cow.
(c) He crashes through a retaining wall.
(d) He drives into a ditch.
9. For how long do Joe and Will hardly speak?
(a) A few days.
10. What has Will given up farming for?
(b) Selling insurance.
(c) Working in a factory.
(d) Running a store.
11. What was Henry swerving to avoid when he causes the accident?
(a) A car.
(b) A cow.
(c) A man.
(d) A dog.
12. Where does Henry find work in New York at first?
(a) As a painter.
(b) As a cabbie.
(c) As a stagehand.
(d) As a technical writer.
13. What is Henry surprised to find on the land?
(a) Telephone poles.
(c) Man-made lakes.
14. Where does Claire go to college?
(a) University of California.
(b) Reed College.
(c) Wesleyan College.
(d) Smith College.
15. Why doesn't Henry get the message that Claire can't make their meeting?
(a) He did not check his mail.
(b) He was too drunk to take her phone call.
(c) Headquarters did not get him the message.
(d) She did not leave a message for him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are Henry and Claire married?
2. Why does Henry keep walking when he sees his family, in Chapter 26?
3. Who does Henry think about when he arrives in St. Louis?
4. What does Henry plan to do when he meets Claire?
5. What draws Will's attention to Joe?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)