|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Henry say he is bringing to Will?
(a) His savings.
(b) His last manuscript.
(c) His secret.
(d) His will.
2. How long is Henry determined to work for?
(a) The rest of a long life.
(b) Three days a week.
(c) Six months a year.
(d) As little as possible.
3. What does Henry believe he has found in this job?
(a) An escape.
(b) His wife.
(c) A calling.
(d) A hell.
4. What does Will find when he returns from the war?
(a) His girlfriend married.
(b) Henry in jail.
(c) His parents dead and gone.
(d) The farm in ruins.
5. Why doesn't Henry get the message that Claire can't make their meeting?
(a) He was too drunk to take her phone call.
(b) She did not leave a message for him.
(c) He did not check his mail.
(d) Headquarters did not get him the message.
6. Where does Claire agree to meet Henry?
(a) Stump Creek.
(b) Glenwood Springs.
(c) St. Louis.
(d) New York.
7. Who helps Will dig Joe's grave?
(a) Van Hoss.
(c) Old Dan.
(d) Bill Gatlin.
8. Who does Henry think about when he arrives in St. Louis?
(a) General Custer.
(b) Mark Twain.
(c) Lewis and Clark.
(d) Abraham Lincoln.
9. Who is James Killoran?
(a) Henry's drinking companion.
(b) Henry's boss.
(c) Henry's assistant.
(d) Henry's client.
10. Why does Lorraine call Will, at the beginning of Chapter 14?
(a) Joe is in jail.
(b) Henry is in jail.
(c) Will's son is injured.
(d) Joe has not come home from lumbering.
11. Where is Henry's pain in the present?
(a) His head.
(b) His legs.
(c) His back.
(d) His stomach.
12. Where does Bat Lanahan find Henry a job?
(a) The Highway Department.
(b) The Department of Public Works.
(c) The Welfare Department.
(d) The Education Department.
13. Where does Henry stop, at the beginning of Chapter 21?
14. Why does Claire say she cannot have a relationship with Henry?
(a) She is too young.
(b) He is drinking too much.
(c) He is too violent.
(d) She is religious.
15. What does Henry remember about working with Joe?
(a) The smell of his shirt.
(b) Being afraid of doing something wrong.
(c) The sun on his stubble.
(d) Not being able to see him through the crops.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Grace think of Henry?
2. Where does Henry have his interview?
3. What does Claire invite Henry to?
4. How does Henry feel about the job Bat Lanahan found for him?
5. What does Myra give Henry after he leaves New York?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)