|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Joe buried?
(a) At the church.
(b) In Pennsylvania.
(c) In Maryland.
(d) At home.
2. Where does Henry have his interview?
(a) Okie Joe's.
(b) The Welfare Department.
(c) Gibbs Pratt's home.
(d) The highway department's offices.
3. What does Henry do after Claire does not show up?
(a) Get drunk.
(b) Kick in the door of his truck.
(c) Write her a furious letter.
(d) Call Grace and curse her out.
4. Where does Bat Lanahan find Henry a job?
(a) The Welfare Department.
(b) The Highway Department.
(c) The Department of Public Works.
(d) The Education Department.
5. What does Grace think of Henry?
(a) He is a genius.
(b) He is a good catch for Claire.
(c) He is a loafer.
(d) He is misdirected.
6. Where does Will find Joe?
(a) In a bar.
(b) Crushed under a tree.
(c) In a small cell.
(d) In a ditch.
7. What does Will say when he sees Henry on the tracks?
(a) That they don't want to see him again.
(b) He yells at him about his faults.
(c) He gives him some money for the road.
(d) That no one told him to leave.
8. What augury does Henry find in the hotel, in the beginning of Chapter 13?
(a) Something about cats and water.
(b) Something about death and transformation.
(c) Something about help from the hills.
(d) Something about the river and time.
9. Why does Claire say she cannot have a relationship with Henry?
(a) He is too violent.
(b) She is too young.
(c) She is religious.
(d) He is drinking too much.
10. Where are Henry and Claire married?
(a) The Grand Canyon.
(b) Muir Woods.
(c) Mt. Rushmore.
11. What does Will find when he returns from the war?
(a) His parents dead and gone.
(b) The farm in ruins.
(c) His girlfriend married.
(d) Henry in jail.
12. Who is the father of Myra's baby?
(a) A painter.
(b) A writer.
(c) An Indian.
(d) A married man.
13. What does Myra say when Henry calls to ask her to run away with him, in Chapter 23?
(a) That she'll never forgive him.
(b) That she's happily married.
(c) That it's too late for them.
(d) That she never wants to hear from him.
14. Where does Henry find work in New York at first?
(a) As a cabbie.
(b) As a painter.
(c) As a technical writer.
(d) As a stagehand.
15. What does Henry think will happen when he dies?
(a) He will be in heaven.
(b) He will be reborn.
(c) He will be in purgatory.
(d) He will be nothing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Henry get the message that Claire can't make their meeting?
2. Where does Henry find work after New York?
3. What was Henry swerving to avoid when he causes the accident?
4. Where does Myra go to when she leaves Henry?
5. How long is Henry determined to work for?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)