|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Henry think might break down before the truck does?
(c) The road.
2. Where does Henry find work in New York at first?
(a) As a technical writer.
(b) As a painter.
(c) As a cabbie.
(d) As a stagehand.
3. What is Henry afraid of bringing to Will?
(a) His dog.
(b) His memories.
(c) His troubles.
(d) His stories.
4. Where does Henry plan to stop on his way to his job?
(a) The Canadian River.
(c) St. Louis.
(d) Stump Creek.
5. Why does Lorraine call Will, at the beginning of Chapter 14?
(a) Henry is in jail.
(b) Joe has not come home from lumbering.
(c) Will's son is injured.
(d) Joe is in jail.
6. How long had it been since Henry and Myra have been together when Henry arrives in New York?
(a) Three months.
(b) Six months.
(c) A year.
(d) Two years.
7. Who is Grace?
(a) Claire's understudy.
(b) Claire's mother.
(c) Claire's friend.
(d) Henry's mistress.
8. Who does Henry think about when he arrives in St. Louis?
(a) Abraham Lincoln.
(b) Lewis and Clark.
(c) General Custer.
(d) Mark Twain.
9. What augury does Henry find in the hotel, in the beginning of Chapter 13?
(a) Something about death and transformation.
(b) Something about help from the hills.
(c) Something about cats and water.
(d) Something about the river and time.
10. Why doesn't Henry get the message that Claire can't make their meeting?
(a) Headquarters did not get him the message.
(b) She did not leave a message for him.
(c) He was too drunk to take her phone call.
(d) He did not check his mail.
11. What does Will say when Henry asks him why he threw the thing into Joe's grave?
(a) He knew that Joe wouldn't want anyone else to have it.
(b) He didn't want to see the thing around.
(c) He wanted Joe to have it.
(d) He saved all the working parts from the thing.
12. What does Henry remember about working with Joe?
(a) The smell of his shirt.
(b) Being afraid of doing something wrong.
(c) Not being able to see him through the crops.
(d) The sun on his stubble.
13. What does Joe ask Will for when Will finds him?
14. Where is Henry when he calls Claire, at the beginning of Chapter 20?
(a) New York.
(b) Santa Fe.
15. Where does Myra go to when she leaves Henry?
(b) New York.
(c) Washington, D.C.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry say is still the same as when he was a boy?
2. Who tells Henry where Claire is after she leaves Denver
3. What does the preacher talk about at Joe's funeral?
4. How does Claire pick Henry up?
5. What does Henry find work doing, at the beginning of Chapter 12?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)