|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Henry and Myra do when he gets to New York?
(a) Make love.
(c) Drive to Maine.
(d) Sail to Europe.
2. What does Henry's interviewer say about the accident?
(a) Henry's story was logical enough.
(b) That he'll take the damages out of Henry's pay.
(c) That this happens all the time.
(d) Henry lost the job already.
3. Why does Henry keep walking when he sees his family, in Chapter 26?
(a) He doesn't want to bring them his troubles.
(b) He doesn't feel well enough to join them.
(c) He is too ashamed of himself to join them.
(d) His brother chases him away.
4. What does Myra say when Henry calls to ask her to run away with him, in Chapter 23?
(a) That she's happily married.
(b) That it's too late for them.
(c) That she'll never forgive him.
(d) That she never wants to hear from him.
5. Where are Henry and Claire married?
(a) The Grand Canyon.
(c) Mt. Rushmore.
(d) Muir Woods.
6. As a former ranger, what does Henry speak to groups about?
(a) The history of the land.
(c) The fragility of the ecosystem.
7. What augury does Henry find in the hotel, in the beginning of Chapter 13?
(a) Something about the river and time.
(b) Something about death and transformation.
(c) Something about cats and water.
(d) Something about help from the hills.
8. Where does Henry find work in New York at first?
(a) As a technical writer.
(b) As a cabbie.
(c) As a painter.
(d) As a stagehand.
9. What does Will say when he sees Henry on the tracks?
(a) He gives him some money for the road.
(b) That no one told him to leave.
(c) He yells at him about his faults.
(d) That they don't want to see him again.
10. What does Henry remember about working with Joe?
(a) Not being able to see him through the crops.
(b) The sun on his stubble.
(c) Being afraid of doing something wrong.
(d) The smell of his shirt.
11. Where does Henry stop, at the beginning of Chapter 21?
12. What does Will throw into Joe's grave?
(a) Joe's pipe.
(b) Joe's chainsaw.
(c) Joe's hand radio.
(d) Joe's pocketknife.
13. What does Myra ask Henry to do for her?
(a) Help her get an abortion.
(b) Act as the father to the baby she's pregnant with.
(c) Help her find the father.
(d) Give her money.
14. Why doesn'tt Henry meet Claire in Denver before she leaves for college?
(a) He never makes it to Denver.
(b) He gets drunk and passes out.
(c) He cannot find her address.
(d) He hears a man with her.
15. Where does Bat Lanahan find Henry a job?
(a) The Highway Department.
(b) The Welfare Department.
(c) The Department of Public Works.
(d) The Education Department.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry ask Claire to do after the concert?
2. What does Grace tell Henry she thinks of him when she calls him?
3. Where does Henry have his interview?
4. Where does Henry plan to stop on his way to his job?
5. What does Henry say is still the same as when he was a boy?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)