|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does Henry ask Myra to suspend judgment for?
(a) Six months.
(b) A year.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) A month.
2. What problems of the Indians' do Henry and Don Williams lament together?
3. What does Henry decide to do to soothe his nerves?
(a) Call his mistress.
(b) Call his second wife.
(c) Shoot the television.
(d) Bake bread.
4. Who is the first guest at Henry's housewarming party?
(b) Van Hoss.
5. How does Henry see the landscape when he arrives in Albuquerque?
(a) Tended and beautiful.
(b) Abandoned and wasted.
(c) Torn and broken.
(d) Developed and prosperous.
6. What response does Henry get when he calls Melanie?
(a) She wants to fight with him.
(b) She invites him over.
(c) They have a bittersweet conversation about their past together.
(d) He is rebuffed.
7. Who is Myra?
(a) Henry's mistress at the time.
(b) Henry's sister.
(c) Henry's mother.
(d) Henry's first wife.
8. How does Henry recall he hurt Elaine's feelings?
(a) By embarrassing her in front of her parents
(b) By insulting her cooking.
(c) By criticizing her figure.
(d) By insulting her intelligence.
9. What does Henry discover when he calls work, in Chapter 3?
(a) The office is being closed.
(b) The boss has already replaced him.
(c) He's been fired.
(d) He got a bad performance review.
10. What does Henry try to qualify for in the military?
(a) Commissary steward.
(c) Artillery officer.
11. Who is Will?
(a) Henry's father.
(b) Henry's younger brother.
(c) Henry's cousin.
(d) Henry's older brother.
12. Where is Myra when Henry wakes up after the party?
(a) She has moved out.
(b) She is still drinking.
(c) She is asleep in the other room.
(d) She left with her friend.
13. What is Henry annoyed by after Elaine leaves?
(a) The refrigerator.
(b) The television.
(c) The neighbor's music.
(d) The light coming in the windows.
14. What does Henry hear when he wakes up, in Chapter 3?
(a) Military helicopters.
(b) Elaine's voice.
(c) Dogs barking.
(d) Melanie's voice.
15. Why did Henry begin hitchhiking?
(a) He didn't have any money, but wanted to get out of his hometown.
(b) His car broke down and it was the only way to get home.
(c) If he was going to die for his country, he wanted to see it first.
(d) It was an effective way to avoid getting drafted, if no one could find him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry sell to Don Williams?
2. What is the one condition to Red being able to play?
3. Why is Henry punished with nightly drills?
4. What kind of school does Henry Lightcap attend?
5. What is attached to the building where Henry and Myra arrive?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)