|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Henry tell Myra about the fact that amenities are missing in the building?
(a) He wants the experience of living among poor people.
(b) It is the start of their life of voluntary simplicity.
(c) There are no other places available at the time.
(d) They can't afford anything nicer than this.
2. Where does Henry remember, in the beginning of Chapter 10?
(a) South Forks.
(c) El Culito.
(d) West Virginia.
3. When is the time period of the scenes Henry remembers?
4. What does Henry think about when he stops to go to the bathroom, in Chapter 5?
(a) His need for sex.
(b) The grace of God.
(c) The inhumanity of man.
(d) The beauty of the landscape.
5. Why did Will join the military?
(a) Out of a need for something to do.
(b) Out of a need for violence.
(c) Out of duty to his football team.
(d) Out of a need to escape his debts.
6. Why is Henry punished with nightly drills?
(a) For disobedience.
(b) For asking why he was going to war.
(c) For incompetence.
(d) For stealing.
7. What does Henry remember smoking in the barn?
(a) Corn silk cigarettes.
(c) Corncob pipes.
(d) Tobacco cigarettes.
8. What illness does Henry's dog have?
(a) Valley fever.
(c) Lyme disease.
9. What does Joe feel about Will joining the military?
(a) He is solemn but he approves.
(b) He is secretly proud.
(c) He is beaming with joy.
(d) He is outraged.
10. Where does Henry call to take time off from work?
(a) The post office.
(b) The saloon.
(c) The bank.
(d) The welfare office.
11. What does Henry do when he wakes up after Elaine leaves him?
(a) Call his brother.
(b) Call Melanie.
(c) Call Elaine.
(d) Play the piano.
12. Where is Henry's home away from home?
(a) The Crossroads Bar.
(b) The Dew Drop Inn.
(c) The Library.
(d) The Dirty Shame Saloon.
13. Where is Myra when Henry wakes up after the party?
(a) She left with her friend.
(b) She has moved out.
(c) She is still drinking.
(d) She is asleep in the other room.
14. What does Henry do when he wakes up, in Chapter 7?
(a) Drinks more beer.
(b) Calls his brother.
(c) Buys a gun.
(d) Calls Elaine.
15. What response does Henry get when he calls Melanie?
(a) They have a bittersweet conversation about their past together.
(b) He is rebuffed.
(c) She wants to fight with him.
(d) She invites him over.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Henry respond when he was called back to work from a smoke break?
2. What is attached to the building where Henry and Myra arrive?
3. What was Henry's father doing in the scene Henry remembers?
4. What kind of school does Henry Lightcap attend?
5. Who was Joe?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)