|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Henry hear when he wakes up, in Chapter 3?
(a) Elaine's voice.
(b) Military helicopters.
(c) Melanie's voice.
(d) Dogs barking.
2. Why is Henry punished with nightly drills?
(a) For asking why he was going to war.
(b) For disobedience.
(c) For stealing.
(d) For incompetence.
3. How does Henry respond when he was called back to work from a smoke break?
(a) He goes back resentfully.
(b) He goes back at his leisure.
(c) He goes back guiltily as soon as he is called.
(d) He doesn't always go back.
4. Why did Will join the military?
(a) Out of a need for violence.
(b) Out of duty to his football team.
(c) Out of a need for something to do.
(d) Out of a need to escape his debts.
5. What is Myra's response to Henry's new job?
6. What did Henry's father give him when he began hitchhiking?
(a) Nothing but imprecations.
(b) $20 and a ride to the highway.
(c) A gun.
(d) A quarter, to call when he needed help.
7. What does Henry remember smoking in the barn?
(a) Corn silk cigarettes.
(b) Tobacco cigarettes.
(d) Corncob pipes.
8. What does Henry stop for, in Chapter 5?
(b) To sleep.
(c) He crashes.
(d) More beer.
9. What does Henry find when he gets to the bank, in Chapter 3?
(a) Elaine has already cleaned out his account.
(b) His paycheck was never deposited.
(c) Elaine has left him some money.
(d) His bills are due.
10. Who is Van Hoss?
(a) A rival for Henry's first wife.
(b) An old employer of Henry's.
(c) A friend of Henry's.
(d) Henry's father's friend.
11. What does Henry do after firing his shot?
12. What is Blacklick?
(a) A nearby town.
(b) A local restaurant.
(c) A rival team.
(d) A hunting ground.
13. Who is Red Ginter?
(a) A boy's father.
(b) A local boy Henry and his brother choose for their team.
(c) A star on the rival's team.
(d) One of the stars on their team.
14. Who does Henry think of as he nears Albuquerque?
(a) Don Williams.
(c) Van Hoss.
15. What does Henry remember, in Chapter 2?
(a) His parents conceiving him.
(b) Being in the womb.
(c) His first memory of falling in snow.
(d) His mother giving birth to him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry's mother see in Henry's personality?
2. What does Henry think about when he stops to go to the bathroom, in Chapter 5?
3. Where does Henry find himself, in Chapter 7?
4. What does Henry sell to Don Williams?
5. When did Henry begin hitchhiking?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)