|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Henry tell Myra about the fact that amenities are missing in the building?
(a) They can't afford anything nicer than this.
(b) It is the start of their life of voluntary simplicity.
(c) He wants the experience of living among poor people.
(d) There are no other places available at the time.
2. Where does Henry call to take time off from work?
(a) The post office.
(b) The welfare office.
(c) The saloon.
(d) The bank.
3. What does Henry hear when he wakes up, in Chapter 3?
(a) Melanie's voice.
(b) Elaine's voice.
(c) Military helicopters.
(d) Dogs barking.
4. Who gave Henry his first ride?
(a) A trucker.
(b) A family.
(c) Drunken sailors.
(d) A preacher.
5. What did Henry's father give him when he began hitchhiking?
(a) A gun.
(b) $20 and a ride to the highway.
(c) A quarter, to call when he needed help.
(d) Nothing but imprecations.
6. What does Henry find in a ditch when he stops to go to the bathroom, at the end of Chapter 4?
(a) A dead dog.
(b) A baseball glove.
(c) An empty bottle of Scotch.
(d) A magazine.
7. What is Henry's dog's name?
8. How does Henry respond when he was called back to work from a smoke break?
(a) He goes back guiltily as soon as he is called.
(b) He goes back resentfully.
(c) He doesn't always go back.
(d) He goes back at his leisure.
9. Who was Milly Cornflower Lightcap?
(a) Henry's sister.
(b) Henry's mother.
(c) Henry's grandmother.
(d) A medicine woman.
10. What does Henry find when he wakes up after the party?
(b) The house is on fire.
(c) Everyone is gone.
(d) The party is still going on.
11. What does Henry stop for, in Chapter 5?
(a) He crashes.
(b) More beer.
(d) To sleep.
12. What does Henry find when he gets to the bank, in Chapter 3?
(a) His paycheck was never deposited.
(b) His bills are due.
(c) Elaine has already cleaned out his account.
(d) Elaine has left him some money.
13. What is Myra's response to the building she and Henry arrive at?
14. What does Henry try to qualify for in the military?
(a) Commissary steward.
(b) Artillery officer.
15. What does Henry lament in Santa Fe?
(a) The loss of beauty in the land.
(b) The poverty.
(c) The iron mills.
(d) The nuclear reactor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry think about when he stops to go to the bathroom, in Chapter 5?
2. What does Henry do when he wakes up, in Chapter 3, after remembering his birth and family?
3. Where is Myra when Henry wakes up after the party?
4. What is the literary device called in which Henry remembers therapy with Elaine?
5. Who is the first guest at Henry's housewarming party?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)