|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Henry tell Myra about the fact that amenities are missing in the building?
(a) There are no other places available at the time.
(b) He wants the experience of living among poor people.
(c) It is the start of their life of voluntary simplicity.
(d) They can't afford anything nicer than this.
2. What state is the building in that Henry and Myra arrive at?
(a) Clean and neat.
(d) Run down.
3. What does Henry do in his irritation?
(a) Shoots the window.
(b) Shoots the television.
(c) Shoots the refrigerator.
(d) Shoots his neighbor's window.
4. What is the literary device called in which Henry remembers therapy with Elaine?
5. What city is Henry approaching when he notices the poverty of the area?
(c) Santa Fe.
6. What does the thing Henry smells remind him of?
(b) His second marriage.
(c) His mistress.
(d) His youth.
7. What did Elaine do in response to Henry's hurting her feelings?
(a) Take up jogging.
(b) Take up gardening.
(c) Leave him.
(d) Take up gourmet cooking.
8. What does Henry remember loving in high school?
(a) His teachers.
(c) Watching girls.
9. Where does Henry decide to travel to with his dog?
(d) West Virginia.
10. What does Henry lament in Santa Fe?
(a) The nuclear reactor.
(b) The poverty.
(c) The iron mills.
(d) The loss of beauty in the land.
11. Why can't Don Williams drink any more?
(a) Irritable colon.
(b) Court orders.
(c) He took a vow.
(d) Deadly allergy.
12. Where does Henry call to take time off from work?
(a) The welfare office.
(b) The saloon.
(c) The bank.
(d) The post office.
13. Where does Henry remember, in the beginning of Chapter 10?
(a) West Virginia.
(b) South Forks.
(c) El Culito.
14. Why did Henry begin hitchhiking?
(a) It was an effective way to avoid getting drafted, if no one could find him.
(b) His car broke down and it was the only way to get home.
(c) If he was going to die for his country, he wanted to see it first.
(d) He didn't have any money, but wanted to get out of his hometown.
15. What kind of school does Henry Lightcap attend?
(a) Public school.
(b) One-room schoolhouse.
(c) Military school.
(d) Private school.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Myra?
2. What does Henry think about when he stops to go to the bathroom, in Chapter 5?
3. When did Henry begin hitchhiking?
4. What does Henry discover when he calls work, in Chapter 3?
5. What problems of the Indians' do Henry and Don Williams lament together?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)