|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Henry's committee say about his thesis?
(a) He is being charged with plagiarism.
(b) He no longer has a future as a professor.
(c) He will have to make revisions.
(d) He is finished.
2. What response does Henry get when he calls Melanie?
(a) He is rebuffed.
(b) She invites him over.
(c) They have a bittersweet conversation about their past together.
(d) She wants to fight with him.
3. What does Henry lament in Santa Fe?
(a) The poverty.
(b) The loss of beauty in the land.
(c) The nuclear reactor.
(d) The iron mills.
4. What does Henry do when he wakes up, in Chapter 3, after remembering his birth and family?
(a) Packs his truck.
(b) Calls his brother.
(c) Calls Elaine.
(d) Walks his dog.
5. What problems of the Indians' do Henry and Don Williams lament together?
6. What does Henry discover when he calls work, in Chapter 3?
(a) The boss has already replaced him.
(b) He got a bad performance review.
(c) The office is being closed.
(d) He's been fired.
7. How does Henry respond when he was called back to work from a smoke break?
(a) He goes back guiltily as soon as he is called.
(b) He goes back at his leisure.
(c) He doesn't always go back.
(d) He goes back resentfully.
8. What did Henry's father give him when he began hitchhiking?
(a) A quarter, to call when he needed help.
(b) $20 and a ride to the highway.
(c) A gun.
(d) Nothing but imprecations.
9. Where does Henry decide to travel to with his dog?
(a) West Virginia.
10. Who is Jenny?
(a) Don Williams's mistress.
(b) Don Williams' wife.
(c) Don Williams's daughter.
(d) Don Williams's mother.
11. Who is the first guest at Henry's housewarming party?
(b) Van Hoss.
12. What did Elaine do in response to Henry's hurting her feelings?
(a) Take up jogging.
(b) Take up gourmet cooking.
(c) Take up gardening.
(d) Leave him.
13. Where is Myra when Henry wakes up after the party?
(a) She has moved out.
(b) She is asleep in the other room.
(c) She is still drinking.
(d) She left with her friend.
14. What is Henry annoyed by after Elaine leaves?
(a) The light coming in the windows.
(b) The neighbor's music.
(c) The refrigerator.
(d) The television.
15. What does Henry do after firing his shot?
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Henry ask Myra to suspend judgment for?
2. What does Henry think about when he stops to go to the bathroom, in Chapter 5?
3. Where does Henry remember, in the beginning of Chapter 10?
4. What does Joe warn Henry not to do?
5. How much does Don Williams give Henry?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)