|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Elaine do in response to Henry's hurting her feelings?
(a) Take up gourmet cooking.
(b) Leave him.
(c) Take up jogging.
(d) Take up gardening.
2. Why did Henry begin hitchhiking?
(a) If he was going to die for his country, he wanted to see it first.
(b) It was an effective way to avoid getting drafted, if no one could find him.
(c) He didn't have any money, but wanted to get out of his hometown.
(d) His car broke down and it was the only way to get home.
3. How does Henry recall he hurt Elaine's feelings?
(a) By insulting her cooking.
(b) By criticizing her figure.
(c) By embarrassing her in front of her parents
(d) By insulting her intelligence.
4. What kind of school does Henry Lightcap attend?
(a) Public school.
(b) One-room schoolhouse.
(c) Military school.
(d) Private school.
5. What problems of the Indians' do Henry and Don Williams lament together?
6. Who does Henry find at Okie Joe's?
(a) College kids.
(d) Old vets.
7. Who is the first guest at Henry's housewarming party?
(a) Van Hoss.
8. Why did Will join the military?
(a) Out of a need to escape his debts.
(b) Out of a need for violence.
(c) Out of a need for something to do.
(d) Out of duty to his football team.
9. What does Joe warn Henry not to do?
(a) Ride the train.
(b) Steal coal.
(c) Shoot rabbits.
(d) Disobey his father.
10. What is Blacklick?
(a) A local restaurant.
(b) A nearby town.
(c) A hunting ground.
(d) A rival team.
11. What does Henry remember loving in high school?
(a) Watching girls.
(c) His teachers.
12. Where are Henry and Myra arriving, in the scene Henry remembers, in Chapter 10?
(a) Their new home.
(b) Their home away from home.
(c) The cabin where they were visiting.
(d) Their temporary home.
13. Who is Will?
(a) Henry's younger brother.
(b) Henry's cousin.
(c) Henry's older brother.
(d) Henry's father.
14. What does Henry remember smoking in the barn?
(a) Corn silk cigarettes.
(b) Tobacco cigarettes.
(d) Corncob pipes.
15. What happened to Henry the summer when he was 15?
(a) He learned to drive.
(b) He lost his virginity.
(c) He had his first drink.
(d) His parents split up.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Henry and his dog smell when they hit the road at the end of Chapter 7?
2. What does Henry stop for, in Chapter 5?
3. Where does Henry find himself, in Chapter 7?
4. What field was Henry studying?
5. What does Henry's committee say about his thesis?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)