Short Essay Questions
The 60 short essay questions listed in this section require a one to two sentence answer. They ask students to demonstrate a deeper understanding of the text. Students must describe what they've read, rather than just recall it.
Short Essay Question - A Prelude, Chapter 1, In Mendia Res, Arizona, and Chapter 2, 1927-37: Stump Creek, West Virginia
1. What happens in the prelude?
2. What does Henry do after Elaine leaves?
3. What does Henry think about cooking, and Elaine's cooking in particular?
4. Describe Henry's relationships at the beginning of the novel.
5. How would you characterize Henry Lightcap's relationships with women?
6. Describe Henry's relationship with his brother Will.
7. Why does Joe spank Henry?
This section contains 646 words|
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)