A Prelude, Chapter 1, In Mendia Res, Arizona, and Chapter 2, 1927-37: Stump Creek, West Virginia
* Henry Lightcap's wife Elaine leaves him, and Henry shoots the refrigerator.
* Henry plans to go to Stump Creek to see his brother Will.
* Henry recollects his childhood, when his mother gave birth to his brother.
* Will follows orders, but Henry is a strong-minded, dogged child.
Chapter 3, Henry Begins His Retreat through Chapter 6, Will's War
* Henry packs his truck, and takes his dying dog, although at first he planned to leave her.
* Henry finds that he has been fired and Elaine has cleaned out his account, but he is leaving town, so he stops at the saloon for one last drink.
* Recalling the summer of his fifteenth year, Henry tells a story of a baseball game that ended in a tie.
* On his trip to West Virginia, Henry stops to eat often, and recounts his...
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)