|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of song does McLean sing for Nick?
2. What are the color of a Merrow man's teeth?
3. Where does Mr. Whiting say he can hide Ven?
4. What does Amriel's father say that some secrets fester like?
5. What excuse does Ven give for being rude to the king?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the king want a reporter?
2. What does McLean tell Ven home is in this section?
3. Why can't Ven take up the King's offer?
4. What is a Revenant?
5. What does the king say is the difference between a reporter and a storyteller?
6. What is the king's verdict on Ven's crimes?
7. How does Ven find the island?
8. What mistakes does Ven make when he first meets the king?
9. Who are Rovers?
10. What does Gregory say is the problem the inn has?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the structure of the book.
How does the author use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
Discuss elements of the narrative structure; exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 2
Why does the author use both both first and third person in the novel? How would the story change if she stuck to one point of view?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the book's dialogue. How does the author's dialogue contribute to the following areas?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)