|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who were the wolves attacking?
2. What is the title of Chapter 17?
3. What does Ven discover he has a knack for?
4. What does McLean bless before Ven goes to bed?
5. What do the children find at the bottom of the pit?
Short Essay Questions
1. What would Ven's role be as the King's reporter?
2. What does the king think of the different races in his kingdom?
3. Why does the king want a reporter?
4. Who are Rovers?
5. What does Gregory say is the problem the inn has?
6. How does Trudy scold Ven in this section?
7. Why does Ida begin disappearing?
8. How does Ven force the wolves to retreat?
9. What does the boy that appears from the mist tell Ven?
10. What does Ven tell the king about the underwater world?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does being a Nain affect Ven and the decision he makes in the story? How different is a Nain to a human? Why do some humans react negative against Nains?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the structure of the book.
How does the author use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
Discuss elements of the narrative structure; exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 3
What major events had a profound effect on Ven's life and how did they change him? What does Ven still have to learn by the end of the book?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)