|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mr. Whiting say Captain Oliver took Ven to the top of the mast?
2. What do the children borrow from Cadwalder to get to town?
3. What is the name of the boy that visits Char and Ven at the cemetery?
4. Why does Amriel say Merrow men are so fat?
5. How does the king know that the Mr. Whiting's copper ring had not been taken aboard the Serenlinda?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the king's verdict on Ven's crimes?
2. How does Ven know that Whiting is lying to him?
3. Who are Rovers?
4. What does Gregory tell Ven and Char about the dogs?
5. What does Gregory say is the problem the inn has?
6. What mistake does Ven make when he takes the Living Water from the Floating Island?
7. How did the king make sure he understood his kingdom?
8. What is a Revenant?
9. Why does the king want a reporter?
10. What does this section suggest about the king?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the book's dialogue. How does the author's dialogue contribute to the following areas?
Essay Topic 2
Pick a character from the book and discuss his or her goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 3
Choose two of the following people and outline their influence on Ven's life. What does Ven learn from those two characters?
1. His father
2. Captain Oliver
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)