|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What area does McLean say is haunted?
2. What does Mrs. Snodgrass's face turn as red as?
3. What is the name of the rock formation that naturally forms an old man's face?
4. What do the sailors say is good luck to sight before a voyage?
5. What does Ven agree is a fairly big part of being a Nain?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ven hear on his first night at the Inn?
2. Why is Char tied to the bed in this section?
3. Why does Char try to help Ven in this section?
4. How do Ven's brothers fool him into inspecting the ship?
5. How does Ven find his albatross feather?
6. How does Captain Oliver cure Ven's sea shakes?
7. Describe the inside of the Crossroad Inn?
8. What do the winds tell Scroggins?
9. How did Ven's grandfather cause a scandal?
10. What does Captain Oliver tell Ven to do once he gets into Kingston?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the albatross help Ven? Why has the author chosen to use an albatross as a lucky symbol?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Ven's character to who he was at the beginning of the book to who he has become at the end.
1. What did Ven hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes Ven's ideas about life?
3. How has Ven's character changed by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 3
What major events had a profound effect on Ven's life and how did they change him? What does Ven still have to learn by the end of the book?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)