|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the spice folk live?
2. What is the jail wagon as hot as?
3. What drink does Whiting stink of?
4. What does Captain Faeley mean when he says they will have to scuttle the ship?
5. What does Pepin give Ven before he boards the boat?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Char get his name?
2. How do Ven and Char meet Ida?
3. Why does Char try to help Ven in this section?
4. What does Captain Oliver tell Ven to do once he gets into Kingston?
5. How does Captain Oliver cure Ven's sea shakes?
6. Why does the driver suggest that Ven stays away from Mr. Whiting?
7. How does Amariel help Ven?
8. What does Ven hear on his first night at the Inn?
9. How does Ven get hit by Whiting in this section?
10. What does this section say about Whiting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does the King choose Ven as his reporter? What do the reports included in the book say about his skills?
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of magic and myth in the story? What elements are recognizable from other legends and myths? How does the author mold them to fit her story?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)