|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Mrs. Snodgrass' father make?
2. What is the name of Ven's sister?
3. What does Captain Oliver say is an omen of beautiful things?
4. What do the Polypheme brothers draw to decide who is inspecting the ship?
5. What does Captain Oliver take from the island?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Oliver say he pays Ven the same as Char?
2. How is Ven different than his brothers?
3. How did Char get his name?
4. Why does McLean say Captain Oliver is traveling the seas?
5. What do the winds tell Scroggins?
6. How do Ven's brothers fool him into inspecting the ship?
7. What does Ven hear on his first night at the Inn?
8. How does Mrs. Snodgrass help the children that come to her house?
9. How does Ven find his albatross feather?
10. Why does the driver suggest that Ven stays away from Mr. Whiting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the book's dialogue. How does the author's dialogue contribute to the following areas?
Essay Topic 2
Choose two of the following people and outline their influence on Ven's life. What does Ven learn from those two characters?
1. His father
2. Captain Oliver
Essay Topic 3
What does the story state about racism in our own society? What does the story suggest about how we can overcome racism?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)