|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Red Apple Country 1884 to 1887: The Journey; The First Day at School.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the U.S. Army captain who wanted to remove Indian infants from their homes?
(a) Richard Henry Pratt.
(b) Philip Alan Bowman.
(c) Robert James Starke.
(d) Edward Lee Bonifice.
2. What were the children not allowed to wear at the boarding school?
3. In Indian society, the elders told stories to teach ______________ to the young people.
4. Who is Tate?
(a) Gertrude's mother.
(b) A young warrior.
(c) A Sioux chief.
(d) The president's wife.
5. Which of the following was NOT a behavior exhibited by the Indian children?
(a) They had diarrhea.
(b) They wet their beds.
(c) They read the Bible.
(d) They stopped eating.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Gertrude when she wrote a scathing article in "Atlantic Monthly" regarding the mistreatment of Indians?
2. What is the meaning of Zitkala-Sa?
3. The Federal agents took away Indian children as young as ___________________.
4. Why did Gertrude cry on the train?
5. Who stared at Gertrude and the other Indian children?
This section contains 196 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)