|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Mr. Roos kick Sammy?
2. What color are Elspeth Huxley's eyes?
3. What did Tilly knit for Randall?
4. What did the author refer to as "that sovereign remedy for almost everything"?
5. What was Njombo saving up the goats for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Tilly so overwhelmed by Africa in the first few weeks in Thika?
2. What did the Masai consider the greatest glory of mankind?
3. How did Mrs. Palmer react to the condition of the man who was attacked and murdered on her property?
4. Why were the natives so eager to bring their children to Tilly?
5. How did Elsepth Huxley describe the smell of Africa?
6. Describe the personalities of Mr. and Mrs. Oram.
7. How did Robin and Kupanya differ in their approach to negotiating the terms of a workers' contract?
8. What were the Huxley's first impressions upon seeing the land that they had bought?
9. Describe the personality of Pioneer Mary.
10. Why did Elspeth get upset at the end of Crawford's story about the whydah birds?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a high-spirited debate between Hereward and Robin about the difference between a bribe and a tip. The Europeans were taught to reject bribery, while bribery was essential to running many African colonies. What are the essential differences between bribes and tips? Is it simply a matter of timing? Were the Europeans making it difficult for themselves by refusing bribes? Could they have made their lives easier by adopting the local customs and accepting the use of bribes instead of tips?
Essay Topic 2
Elspeth, despite her European heritage, sincerely believed that a charm would protect her duiker, Twinkle. In what ways did her belief illustrate how her upbringing was becoming essentially African? Why was she more open to the notion of protective charms than the adults around her? Was she doing a better job adapting to local traditions and belief-systems?
Essay Topic 3
Elspeth Huxley described in detail the process of leaving Thika to return to England during the war. Write an essay describing the attitudes displayed by both the natives and the European settlers as the war descended. How were people on each side of the cultural divide affected by their experiences? How did the natives view the Huxley family?
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)