|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Robin agree to pay for the work?
2. What crop did Stilbeck insist would be easy to grow on the farm?
3. What eventually attracted the attention of the natives?
4. About how many miles a day could the oxen handle?
5. In what year was the Huxley family heading to Thika?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Lettice Palmer find most disturbing about Africa and what was she most concerned about for herself and fellow Europeans?
2. How did the differences between Mrs. Nimmo and Tilly come through in their first meeting?
3. Why did Elspeth get upset at the end of Crawford's story about the whydah birds?
4. What became of Tilly's initial attempt to "preserve an appearance of leisured elegance"?
5. Why were the natives so eager to bring their children to Tilly?
6. How did Juma view the local inhabitants outside of Nairobi?
7. Describe the relationship the Kikuyu had with their surroundings.
8. Why was Robin having a difficult time with the oxen?
9. Describe the personalities of Mr. and Mrs. Oram.
10. What was Lettice Palmer's first reaction to the health conditions in Africa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lettice Palmer appeared to change in personality following the death of Ian. Write an essay describing how his death affected her. Why did she tell Elspeth that Africa was a cruel place and that nobody cared? What did her future appear to be?
Essay Topic 2
While riding to Londiani, Dirk told Elspeth a detailed story about the arduous trek taken by his Boer family to their new home. Write an essay describing how these experiences influenced Dirk's behavior as an adult. Was his upbringing in a self-sufficient environment a factor in his willing abandonment of Elspeth? Was he bitter toward the English? Did he seem to have any regard for the natives? How did Dirk compare to the other Dutchman encountered in the book, Mr. Roos?
Essay Topic 3
Elspeth Huxley described in detail the process of leaving Thika to return to England during the war. Write an essay describing the attitudes displayed by both the natives and the European settlers as the war descended. How were people on each side of the cultural divide affected by their experiences? How did the natives view the Huxley family?
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)