|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What natural phenomenon did Mrs. Palmer see in her travels to Scandinavia?
2. What did Jock Nimmo spend most of his time doing?
3. What color are Elspeth Huxley's eyes?
4. What are siafu?
5. Why were the Orams leaving Ruiri?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Lettice Palmer find most disturbing about Africa and what was she most concerned about for herself and fellow Europeans?
2. How did the differences between Mrs. Nimmo and Tilly come through in their first meeting?
3. Why was Tilly so overwhelmed by Africa in the first few weeks in Thika?
4. What was Lettice Palmer's first reaction to the health conditions in Africa?
5. What became of Tilly's initial attempt to "preserve an appearance of leisured elegance"?
6. Why did Mrs. Palmer tell Elspeth Huxley that she should get two of any animal she wished to keep as a pet?
7. Why did Elspeth get upset at the end of Crawford's story about the whydah birds?
8. What happened to Njombo after he killed the man on the Palmer's property?
9. How did Elsepth Huxley describe the smell of Africa?
10. How did Juma view the local inhabitants outside of Nairobi?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lettice Palmer appeared to change in personality following the death of Ian. Write an essay describing how his death affected her. Why did she tell Elspeth that Africa was a cruel place and that nobody cared? What did her future appear to be?
Essay Topic 2
While riding to Londiani, Dirk told Elspeth a detailed story about the arduous trek taken by his Boer family to their new home. Write an essay describing how these experiences influenced Dirk's behavior as an adult. Was his upbringing in a self-sufficient environment a factor in his willing abandonment of Elspeth? Was he bitter toward the English? Did he seem to have any regard for the natives? How did Dirk compare to the other Dutchman encountered in the book, Mr. Roos?
Essay Topic 3
Elspeth Huxley described in detail the process of leaving Thika to return to England during the war. Write an essay describing the attitudes displayed by both the natives and the European settlers as the war descended. How were people on each side of the cultural divide affected by their experiences? How did the natives view the Huxley family?
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)