|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What animal did Elspeth worry would attack her pony, Twinkle?
(a) A leopard.
(b) A hyena.
(c) A duiker.
(d) A python.
2. What did the settlers hunt in Chapter 12?
3. What was the name of the bay horse?
4. What did Mr. Roos add to the trap to make it more effective?
(a) A second goat.
(b) A dog.
(c) Fetid meat.
5. What natural phenomenon did Tilly and Ian comment on at the end of Chapter 12?
(a) An approaching storm.
(b) A river.
(c) The sunset.
(d) The sunrise.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Elspeth protect Twinkle?
2. What special item did Lettice Palmer provide for her two dogs?
3. Why did Kupanya claim that Njombo was not one of his men?
4. What was the rumor about Lettice's marriage to an older man at 18?
5. Who accompanied Tilly to Kupanya to discuss the bewitching?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Tilly think was the ultimate reason for the Europeans to be in Africa?
2. How did Elspeth use the imagery of the kitchen beaters to convey the sense that Europeans and Africans were living in parallel worlds?
3. How did Lettice Palmer view Hereward's desperate attempts to impose discipline on his workers?
4. Why were the villagers so concerned about the python near the village?
5. Why were the other adults so upset at Mr. Roos for trapping the leopard?
6. How did the Palmer's house differ from the Huxley's residence?
7. Describe how Elspeth viewed the dead leopard.
8. How did the Europeans view the difference between a bribe and a tip?
9. Why did the District Commissioner find it difficult to keep locals out of the prison?
10. Why was Lettice convinced that she brought disaster on her loved ones?
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)