|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the first trap catch?
(a) A python.
(b) A leopard.
(c) A hyena.
(d) A goat.
2. What had the python eaten?
(a) A goat.
(b) A baby.
(c) A dikdik.
(d) A hyena.
3. What color was Ian's Somali shawl?
4. How many spare rooms did the Palmer's stone bungalow have?
5. What did Elspeth sleep on?
(a) A mattress on the floor.
(c) A sleeping bag.
(d) A camp-bed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Kupanya claim that Njombo was not one of his men?
2. How many wives did Sammy already have when he announced he was taking another?
3. What special item did Lettice Palmer provide for her two dogs?
4. What song did all of the settlers join in singing at the Palmers?
5. What animal did Elspeth worry would attack her pony, Twinkle?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Kikuyu and Masai differ in their approaches to hunting?
2. How did Ian justify the brutality of the Abyssinian leaders he encountered before coming to Africa?
3. Why were the villagers so concerned about the python near the village?
4. Why were Tilly and Lettice suspicious of Mr. Roos' behavior toward Elspeth?
5. How did Lettice Palmer view Hereward's desperate attempts to impose discipline on his workers?
6. What did the Kikuyu do to preserve memories of the dead?
7. How did the adults try to comfort Elspeth when she could not go on the safari, and did it work?
8. Why did the District Commissioner find it difficult to keep locals out of the prison?
9. Why was Lettice convinced that she brought disaster on her loved ones?
10. How did Elspeth use the imagery of the kitchen beaters to convey the sense that Europeans and Africans were living in parallel worlds?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)