|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much money did Tilly's sister send her?
(a) Fifty pounds.
(b) Thirty pounds.
(c) Twenty-five pounds.
(d) Ten pounds.
2. What had the python eaten?
(a) A dikdik.
(b) A hyena.
(c) A baby.
(d) A goat.
3. Who was injured in the blasting cap accident?
(a) Sammy's wife.
(b) Sammy's son.
4. What does the word "kali" mean?
(c) Fierce or bold.
5. What article of clothing did Mrs. Nimmo give to Elspeth?
(a) A new pair of shoes.
(b) A dress.
(c) A hat.
(d) A blouse.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was blamed for the accident?
2. What was the subject of the book given to Elspeth by Robin?
3. What were Hereward and the Kikuyu hunting in Chapter 11?
4. Whom did Tilly contact about getting another dog for the Palmers?
5. What was special about the animal killed by the hunters in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were the villagers so concerned about the python near the village?
2. How did Lettice Palmer view Hereward's desperate attempts to impose discipline on his workers?
3. Why did Hereward express a willingness to die in a violent storm?
4. How did Elspeth view the planned hunt versus the actual hunt?
5. Why was Lettice convinced that she brought disaster on her loved ones?
6. How did the Kikuyu deal with the suffering of animals?
7. Why were Tilly and Lettice suspicious of Mr. Roos' behavior toward Elspeth?
8. How did Elspeth use the imagery of the kitchen beaters to convey the sense that Europeans and Africans were living in parallel worlds?
9. Describe how Elspeth viewed the dead leopard.
10. Why were the other adults so upset at Mr. Roos for trapping the leopard?
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)