|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Lettice do during thunderstorms?
(b) Retreated to the cellar.
(c) Went outside because she enjoyed them.
(d) Hid in a cupboard or under bedclothes.
2. What was the only common element in the different styles of traps built for leopards?
(a) The use of poison.
(b) The use of goats as bait.
(c) The use of strips of meat as bait.
(d) The digging of a pit.
3. How many spare rooms did the Palmer's stone bungalow have?
4. What word was used to describe a quarrel or discussion?
5. What article of clothing did Mrs. Nimmo give to Elspeth?
(a) A new pair of shoes.
(b) A blouse.
(c) A hat.
(d) A dress.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did mission-boys wear as a mark of their status?
2. What did Mr. Roos add to the trap to make it more effective?
3. What animal did Elspeth worry would attack her pony, Twinkle?
4. What did the leopard do to the Palmers?
5. What had the python eaten?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the Kikuyu distrust hyenas?
2. What did Tilly think was the ultimate reason for the Europeans to be in Africa?
3. How did the other Europeans and the Kikuyu feel about the Italian priests at the mission?
4. In what ways did Elspeth find the siafu (warrior ants) the most frightening and mysterious of Africa's creatures?
5. Why did Robin agree with the Italian priests in their refusal to baptize or help Njombo?
6. How did the adults try to comfort Elspeth when she could not go on the safari, and did it work?
7. How did Ian describe Ahmed's people (Somalis), whom he had lived among before coming to Africa?
8. Why were Tilly and Lettice suspicious of Mr. Roos' behavior toward Elspeth?
9. Why were the villagers so concerned about the python near the village?
10. How did Elspeth view the planned hunt versus the actual hunt?
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)