|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What song did all of the settlers join in singing at the Palmers?
(a) London Bridge.
(c) God Save the Queen.
(d) Ring Around the Roses.
2. To what kind of fish did Elspeth compare the men lounging in the shade in the middle of the day?
3. At what time did Elspeth's lessons begin in Chapter 20?
(a) 6:30 a.m.
(b) 8:00 a.m.
(c) 9:00 a.m.
(d) 8:30 a.m.
4. How did Kupanya lift the curse?
(a) He convinced Sammy to lift it.
(b) He hired a shaman.
(c) He convinced Njombo that it was fake.
(d) He hired a wizard.
5. What was the roof made of?
(c) Corrugated iron.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word was used to describe a quarrel or discussion?
2. What was Robin told would make a good gift for the new couple?
3. What did Ian say the native beer tasted like?
4. How many wives did Sammy already have when he announced he was taking another?
5. What color was Ian's Somali shawl?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Elspeth use the imagery of the kitchen beaters to convey the sense that Europeans and Africans were living in parallel worlds?
2. Why was Lettice convinced that she brought disaster on her loved ones?
3. Why did the Kikuyu distrust hyenas?
4. How did the Kikuyu deal with the suffering of animals?
5. How did Elspeth view the planned hunt versus the actual hunt?
6. How did the Europeans view the difference between a bribe and a tip?
7. Describe how Elspeth viewed the dead leopard.
8. How did the Palmer's house differ from the Huxley's residence?
9. How did Ian describe Ahmed's people (Somalis), whom he had lived among before coming to Africa?
10. Why were the other adults so upset at Mr. Roos for trapping the leopard?
This section contains 972 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)