|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Mr. Roos offer to show Elspeth?
(a) A whydah-bird.
(b) A waterfall.
(c) A python.
(d) A boomklop.
2. How many leopards were killed during the hunt?
3. What did the settlers hunt in Chapter 12?
4. What special item did Lettice Palmer provide for her two dogs?
(a) Separate kennels.
(b) Silver food bowls.
(d) Separate dog runs.
5. What word was used to describe a quarrel or discussion?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was injured in the blasting cap accident?
2. How many princes had been blinded by the Abyssinian emperor?
3. What was the name of the bay horse?
4. What did Tilly diagnose Rohio with?
5. How many goats did Tilly say the District Commissioner would fine Kupanya if the curse were not lifted?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the adults try to comfort Elspeth when she could not go on the safari, and did it work?
2. Why did Hereward express a willingness to die in a violent storm?
3. Why were the other adults so upset at Mr. Roos for trapping the leopard?
4. How did the Europeans view the difference between a bribe and a tip?
5. How did the other Europeans and the Kikuyu feel about the Italian priests at the mission?
6. How did Elspeth view the planned hunt versus the actual hunt?
7. Why were Tilly and Lettice suspicious of Mr. Roos' behavior toward Elspeth?
8. In what ways did Elspeth find the siafu (warrior ants) the most frightening and mysterious of Africa's creatures?
9. How did Ian describe Ahmed's people (Somalis), whom he had lived among before coming to Africa?
10. Why did the District Commissioner find it difficult to keep locals out of the prison?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)