|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What natural phenomenon did Mrs. Palmer see in her travels to Scandinavia?
(a) A comet.
(b) A total lunar eclipse.
(c) A total solar eclipse.
(d) The aurora borealis.
2. How did Captain Palmer plan to build his house?
(a) He did the work himself.
(b) He hired the natives.
(c) He hired a Nairobi contractor.
(d) He hired other settlers.
3. Where was the District Commissioner located?
(a) Fort Smith.
(b) Fort Carter.
(c) Fort Mitchell.
(d) Fort Hall.
4. What did Elspeth call her pony?
5. How long did it take the workers to build their own huts?
(a) Five days.
(b) Two days.
(c) Six days.
(d) One week.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Njombo saving up the goats for?
2. What are siafu?
3. How was Wilson trying to learn the skills of farming?
4. How did Randall Smith spend his Sundays?
5. What color are Elspeth Huxley's eyes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were the natives so eager to bring their children to Tilly?
2. What was Lettice Palmer's first reaction to the health conditions in Africa?
3. Why were the natives so fascinated by the lamp, but did not care about the gramophone?
4. Describe the relationship the Kikuyu had with their surroundings.
5. What kind of person did Ian Crawford appear to be?
6. Why did Mrs. Palmer tell Elspeth Huxley that she should get two of any animal she wished to keep as a pet?
7. Why was Robin having a difficult time with the oxen?
8. What happened to Njombo after he killed the man on the Palmer's property?
9. Describe the personalities of Mr. and Mrs. Oram.
10. What did Lettice Palmer find most disturbing about Africa and what was she most concerned about for herself and fellow Europeans?
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)