|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What eventually attracted the attention of the natives?
(a) The sewing machine.
(b) The gramaphone.
(c) The piano.
(d) The lamp.
2. What did Crawford say was a sign of a made-up story?
(a) A happy ending.
(b) A neat and tidy ending.
(c) No ending at all.
(d) A tragic ending.
3. How did Captain Palmer plan to build his house?
(a) He hired other settlers.
(b) He did the work himself.
(c) He hired a Nairobi contractor.
(d) He hired the natives.
4. With what did the natives think the Europeans created light at night?
(c) The sun.
5. In the folktale, what resulted from the chameleon's failure to deliver God's message?
(a) Humans eventually die.
(b) The moon disappears each month.
(c) The sun sets each day.
(d) The dry season comes each year.
Short Answer Questions
1. About how many miles a day could the oxen handle?
2. Why did the warriors refuse to remove any more weeds?
3. How long was the journey from Nairobi to Thika?
4. What was Sammy's ethnic mix?
5. Why was Tilly upset about Roger Stilbeck's letter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Huxley describe the Kikuyu attitude toward theft?
2. Describe the personality of Pioneer Mary.
3. Why did Mrs. Palmer tell Elspeth Huxley that she should get two of any animal she wished to keep as a pet?
4. What became of Tilly's initial attempt to "preserve an appearance of leisured elegance"?
5. Describe the relationship the Kikuyu had with their surroundings.
6. Why were the natives so fascinated by the lamp, but did not care about the gramophone?
7. How did Robin and Kupanya differ in their approach to negotiating the terms of a workers' contract?
8. Describe the personalities of Mr. and Mrs. Oram.
9. Why was Robin having a difficult time with the oxen?
10. How did Elsepth Huxley describe the smell of Africa?
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)