|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What creatures did Crawford say were shy?
2. What crop was Smith growing?
3. What did Robin desire after making his fortune?
(a) To go to Australia.
(b) To do nothing.
(c) To travel around the world.
(d) To go on safari.
4. According to Tilly, what was a main cause of the native children's bloated stomachs?
(b) Eating too much.
(d) Enlarged spleen from malaria.
5. What did the author refer to as "that sovereign remedy for almost everything"?
(c) Cod-liver oil.
(d) Epsom salts.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ancient story did Crawford use as an example?
2. Why did Njombo object to the house plans for the Huxleys?
3. Why did the warriors refuse to remove any more weeds?
4. Why did Sammy question the wisdom of burying the murder victim?
5. What was Elspeth eating in a "funny" way at Mrs. Nimmo's the day after the party?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Mrs. Palmer tell Elspeth Huxley that she should get two of any animal she wished to keep as a pet?
2. How did Elsepth Huxley describe the smell of Africa?
3. Why was Tilly so overwhelmed by Africa in the first few weeks in Thika?
4. What did the Masai consider the greatest glory of mankind?
5. How did the differences between Mrs. Nimmo and Tilly come through in their first meeting?
6. Why were the natives so fascinated by the lamp, but did not care about the gramophone?
7. Why was Robin having a difficult time with the oxen?
8. What became of Tilly's initial attempt to "preserve an appearance of leisured elegance"?
9. Describe the personality of Pioneer Mary.
10. How did Juma view the local inhabitants outside of Nairobi?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)