|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Mr. Roos kick Sammy?
(a) Sammy went home.
(b) Sammy ignored an order.
(c) Sammy yelled at Mr. Roos.
(d) Sammy stole money.
2. What was Njombo saving up the goats for?
(a) A blood price.
(b) To give to his parents.
(c) A bride.
(d) A farm.
3. What kind of background did Robin say would cause a chameleon to explode?
(a) A piece of camoflage.
(b) An argyle sock.
(c) A polka-dotted rug.
(d) A tartan rug.
4. How was Wilson trying to learn the skills of farming?
(a) By seeking the help of other European settlers.
(b) By reading textbooks and government reports.
(c) By seeking the help of local Africans.
(d) By simply doing it.
5. What color are Elspeth Huxley's eyes?
Short Answer Questions
1. What crop did Stilbeck insist would be easy to grow on the farm?
2. What did Tilly knit for Randall?
3. Why did the warriors refuse to remove any more weeds?
4. Why did Njombo object to the house plans for the Huxleys?
5. What had the missionaries and the Government convinced the Kikuyu to adopt?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Elsepth Huxley describe the smell of Africa?
2. Why was Robin having a difficult time with the oxen?
3. What did Lettice Palmer find most disturbing about Africa and what was she most concerned about for herself and fellow Europeans?
4. How did Robin and Kupanya differ in their approach to negotiating the terms of a workers' contract?
5. What was Lettice Palmer's first reaction to the health conditions in Africa?
6. What were the Huxley's first impressions upon seeing the land that they had bought?
7. How did Mrs. Palmer react to the condition of the man who was attacked and murdered on her property?
8. How did Juma view the local inhabitants outside of Nairobi?
9. Why were the natives so fascinated by the lamp, but did not care about the gramophone?
10. What became of Tilly's initial attempt to "preserve an appearance of leisured elegance"?
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)