|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What country did Mrs. Palmer like the best?
2. What ancient story did Crawford use as an example?
(c) Cain and Abel.
(d) Adam and Eve.
3. In what year was the Huxley family heading to Thika?
4. Why were the Orams leaving Ruiri?
(a) They were getting more land in the Free State.
(b) They were returning to the Netherlands.
(c) They missed the Transvaal.
(d) It was getting overcrowded.
5. Why was Tilly upset about Roger Stilbeck's letter?
(a) He was telling the Huxleys how wonderful the land was.
(b) He was asking for more money.
(c) He was ordering them to begin planting coffee.
(d) He was telling her whom to be friends with.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the settlers assume Mr. Nimmo was making money?
2. What kind of background did Robin say would cause a chameleon to explode?
3. What did Jock Nimmo spend most of his time doing?
4. Why did Njombo object to the house plans for the Huxleys?
5. What are siafu?
Short Essay Questions
1. What became of Tilly's initial attempt to "preserve an appearance of leisured elegance"?
2. Why did Elspeth get upset at the end of Crawford's story about the whydah birds?
3. Why was Robin having a difficult time with the oxen?
4. Why did Mrs. Palmer tell Elspeth Huxley that she should get two of any animal she wished to keep as a pet?
5. How did Mrs. Palmer react to the condition of the man who was attacked and murdered on her property?
6. What happened to Njombo after he killed the man on the Palmer's property?
7. How did Mrs. Nimmo react to the wild New Year's party?
8. What kind of person did Ian Crawford appear to be?
9. Why was Tilly so overwhelmed by Africa in the first few weeks in Thika?
10. What was Lettice Palmer's first reaction to the health conditions in Africa?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)