|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Robin's primary goal in his travels?
(a) Running a ranch.
(b) Finding precious stones and metals.
(d) Getting a government job.
2. What did the Kikuyu do if someone died inside a hut?
(a) They buried the person in the hut.
(b) They gave the hut to survivors.
(c) They moved the hut to another location.
(d) They burned the hut down.
3. What natural phenomenon did Mrs. Palmer see in her travels to Scandinavia?
(a) The aurora borealis.
(b) A total solar eclipse.
(c) A comet.
(d) A total lunar eclipse.
4. Why was Tilly upset about Roger Stilbeck's letter?
(a) He was asking for more money.
(b) He was ordering them to begin planting coffee.
(c) He was telling her whom to be friends with.
(d) He was telling the Huxleys how wonderful the land was.
5. What was Randall Smith's nationality?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Alec Wilson in Africa?
2. What did Jock Nimmo spend most of his time doing?
3. What did Elspeth call her pony?
4. What was Njombo saving up the goats for?
5. Where did the jiggas dig into the body?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Tilly so overwhelmed by Africa in the first few weeks in Thika?
2. What did Lettice Palmer find most disturbing about Africa and what was she most concerned about for herself and fellow Europeans?
3. Why did Elspeth get upset at the end of Crawford's story about the whydah birds?
4. How did Elsepth Huxley describe the smell of Africa?
5. How did Robin and Kupanya differ in their approach to negotiating the terms of a workers' contract?
6. Why were the natives so eager to bring their children to Tilly?
7. Why were the natives so fascinated by the lamp, but did not care about the gramophone?
8. What happened to Njombo after he killed the man on the Palmer's property?
9. How did Juma view the local inhabitants outside of Nairobi?
10. Describe the personality of Pioneer Mary.
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)