|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what did the natives think the Europeans created light at night?
(c) The sun.
2. What did Robin initially try to use to "break the ice" with the natives?
(a) A gramaphone.
(b) A radio.
(c) A sewing machine.
(d) A telephone.
3. Why did Njombo object to the house plans for the Huxleys?
(a) The house would face the wrong way.
(b) The house was rectangular.
(c) The house was circular.
(d) The house was made of brick.
4. How long was the journey from Nairobi to Thika?
(a) One day.
(b) Two days.
(c) Three days.
(d) Five days.
5. What items did Mrs. Palmer say would need their own stable?
(a) The couple's horses.
(b) Captain Palmer's trophies.
(c) The couple's cars.
(d) The couple's furniture.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the natives take after negotiating payment for work?
2. What did Elspeth say she wanted more than anything?
3. What natural phenomenon did Mrs. Palmer see in her travels to Scandinavia?
4. What did Elspeth call her pony?
5. What kind of background did Robin say would cause a chameleon to explode?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Mrs. Palmer tell Elspeth Huxley that she should get two of any animal she wished to keep as a pet?
2. What were the Huxley's first impressions upon seeing the land that they had bought?
3. How did Mrs. Palmer react to the condition of the man who was attacked and murdered on her property?
4. What did the Masai consider the greatest glory of mankind?
5. How did Mrs. Nimmo react to the wild New Year's party?
6. Why did Elspeth get upset at the end of Crawford's story about the whydah birds?
7. How did Juma view the local inhabitants outside of Nairobi?
8. Describe the personality of Pioneer Mary.
9. Why was Robin having a difficult time with the oxen?
10. How did Elsepth Huxley describe the smell of Africa?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)