|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what did the natives think the Europeans created light at night?
(d) The sun.
2. What kind of chickens did Tilly bring from England?
(b) Speckled Essex.
(c) Speckled Sussex.
(d) Rhode Island Reds.
3. How did Captain Palmer plan to build his house?
(a) He hired the natives.
(b) He hired a Nairobi contractor.
(c) He hired other settlers.
(d) He did the work himself.
4. What animals did the Huxley family take with them to Africa?
5. Where was Mr. Nimmo allegedly detained on business?
(a) South Africa.
(c) Belgian Congo.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Randall Smith spend his Sundays?
2. What crop did Stilbeck insist would be easy to grow on the farm?
3. Where was the District Commissioner located?
4. About how many miles a day could the oxen handle?
5. What color are Elspeth Huxley's eyes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of person did Ian Crawford appear to be?
2. How did Juma view the local inhabitants outside of Nairobi?
3. Why were the natives so fascinated by the lamp, but did not care about the gramophone?
4. Why were the natives so eager to bring their children to Tilly?
5. Why was Tilly so overwhelmed by Africa in the first few weeks in Thika?
6. What did Lettice Palmer find most disturbing about Africa and what was she most concerned about for herself and fellow Europeans?
7. Describe the personalities of Mr. and Mrs. Oram.
8. How did Huxley describe the Kikuyu attitude toward theft?
9. What were the Huxley's first impressions upon seeing the land that they had bought?
10. What did the Masai consider the greatest glory of mankind?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)