|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About how many miles a day could the oxen handle?
2. What items did Mrs. Palmer say would need their own stable?
(a) Captain Palmer's trophies.
(b) The couple's cars.
(c) The couple's horses.
(d) The couple's furniture.
3. What creatures did Crawford say were shy?
4. In what year was the Huxley family heading to Thika?
5. Where did the jiggas dig into the body?
(a) Under the toenail.
(b) In the ears.
(c) On the scalp.
(d) Under the fingernail.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what did the natives think the Europeans created light at night?
2. What crop did Stilbeck insist would be easy to grow on the farm?
3. What did Elspeth call her pony?
4. What did Robin desire after making his fortune?
5. What was the name of the Irishwoman known for her fearlessness?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were the natives so fascinated by the lamp, but did not care about the gramophone?
2. Why were the natives so eager to bring their children to Tilly?
3. How did the Palmer's house differ from the Huxley's residence?
4. In what ways did Elspeth find the siafu (warrior ants) the most frightening and mysterious of Africa's creatures?
5. How did Ian describe Ahmed's people (Somalis), whom he had lived among before coming to Africa?
6. What did the Masai consider the greatest glory of mankind?
7. What did Dirk's behavior in Londiani (where he abandoned Elspeth) suggest about his character?
8. Why did Elspeth believe that Lettice had changed when she seemed on the verge of teasing the little girl?
9. Describe the personality of Pioneer Mary.
10. How did the other Europeans and the Kikuyu feel about the Italian priests at the mission?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)