|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what African country had Robin mined for metals?
(d) South Africa.
2. What did Robin agree to pay for the work?
(b) Coffee beans.
3. What kind of chickens did Tilly bring from England?
(a) Rhode Island Reds.
(c) Speckled Sussex.
(d) Speckled Essex.
4. Why did Njombo object to the house plans for the Huxleys?
(a) The house was circular.
(b) The house was rectangular.
(c) The house was made of brick.
(d) The house would face the wrong way.
5. What kind of background did Robin say would cause a chameleon to explode?
(a) A piece of camoflage.
(b) An argyle sock.
(c) A tartan rug.
(d) A polka-dotted rug.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long was the journey from Nairobi to Thika?
2. Where was Mr. Nimmo allegedly detained on business?
3. What instrument were the Palmers bringing to Africa?
4. What animals did the Huxley family take with them to Africa?
5. According to Tilly, what was a main cause of the native children's bloated stomachs?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Lettice Palmer's first reaction to the health conditions in Africa?
2. How did Robin and Kupanya differ in their approach to negotiating the terms of a workers' contract?
3. Why were the natives so eager to bring their children to Tilly?
4. What became of Tilly's initial attempt to "preserve an appearance of leisured elegance"?
5. Why were the natives so fascinated by the lamp, but did not care about the gramophone?
6. How did Elsepth Huxley describe the smell of Africa?
7. Why did Elspeth get upset at the end of Crawford's story about the whydah birds?
8. Describe the personality of Pioneer Mary.
9. How did Juma view the local inhabitants outside of Nairobi?
10. Why was Robin having a difficult time with the oxen?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)