|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What article of clothing did Mrs. Nimmo give to Elspeth?
(a) A new pair of shoes.
(b) A hat.
(c) A blouse.
(d) A dress.
2. How many cattle did Sammy own?
3. What animal did Elspeth worry would attack her pony, Twinkle?
(a) A hyena.
(b) A leopard.
(c) A duiker.
(d) A python.
4. Why did Njombo say it would be bad luck to shoot a python?
(a) The rains would never end.
(b) There would be no rain.
(c) The crops would fail.
(d) Hyenas would get the village's goats.
5. Who did the District Commissioner appoint as village "chief"?
6. What was Sammy's new wife's name?
7. What did Mrs. Nimmo add to Elspeth's list of required subjects?
(a) Bible readings.
(b) Local folklore.
(c) Life science.
8. What did Elspeth sleep on?
(a) A sleeping bag.
(b) A camp-bed.
(d) A mattress on the floor.
9. What did the villagers do after Sammy's new wife died?
(a) Brought her body back to her native village.
(b) Buried her in a cemetery plot.
(c) Kept her body in the hut.
(d) Burned down her hut.
10. What was the subject of the book given to Elspeth by Robin?
(a) Buffalo Bill.
(b) Wild Bill Hickock.
(c) Paul Bunyan.
(d) Johnny Appleseed.
11. What song did all of the settlers join in singing at the Palmers?
(a) London Bridge.
(c) God Save the Queen.
(d) Ring Around the Roses.
12. Where was Twinkle found?
(a) At another village.
(b) By the watering hole.
(c) By the waterfall.
(d) By the river in the reserve.
13. Why did Kupanya claim that Njombo was not one of his men?
(a) Because he was Masai.
(b) Because he had become Christian.
(c) Because he had violated village rules.
(d) Because he worked for Europeans.
14. What was Elspeth expected to memorize while the adults were on safari?
(a) The colonial holdings of England.
(b) The counties of England.
(c) The kings of England.
(d) The Prime Ministers of England.
15. What creatures emerged after the rains?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Robin told would make a good gift for the new couple?
2. What were the villagers sacrificing?
3. What had the python eaten?
4. To what kind of fish did Elspeth compare the men lounging in the shade in the middle of the day?
5. What happened to the leopard caught in the trap?
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)