|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Elspeth sleep on?
(a) A mattress on the floor.
(b) A sleeping bag.
(c) A camp-bed.
2. Why did the priests refuse to help Njombo?
(a) He was not baptized.
(b) He had been married to several women.
(c) He was not white.
(d) He was not Italian.
3. What did Lettice do during thunderstorms?
(a) Went outside because she enjoyed them.
(b) Hid in a cupboard or under bedclothes.
(c) Retreated to the cellar.
4. What was the name of the bay horse?
5. Why did Hereward dismiss the Dutch hunting skills?
(a) They were not brave.
(b) They were only capable of trapping.
(c) They were only interested in selling pelts.
(d) They were not skillful with rifles.
6. What color was Ian's Somali shawl?
7. What did Hereward ask Robin for help in moving?
(a) A cello.
(b) A piano.
(c) An armoir.
(d) A harpsichord.
8. What did the villagers do after Sammy's new wife died?
(a) Burned down her hut.
(b) Brought her body back to her native village.
(c) Kept her body in the hut.
(d) Buried her in a cemetery plot.
9. What did mission-boys wear as a mark of their status?
(c) Khaki shorts.
10. What was the only common element in the different styles of traps built for leopards?
(a) The use of strips of meat as bait.
(b) The digging of a pit.
(c) The use of goats as bait.
(d) The use of poison.
11. What did the priests at the Italian mission plant?
12. Whom did Tilly contact about getting another dog for the Palmers?
(a) Ian Crawfurd.
(d) Roger Stilbeck.
13. What did Mr. Roos offer to show Elspeth?
(a) A whydah-bird.
(b) A python.
(c) A boomklop.
(d) A waterfall.
14. What was Elspeth expected to memorize while the adults were on safari?
(a) The Prime Ministers of England.
(b) The counties of England.
(c) The kings of England.
(d) The colonial holdings of England.
15. Where did Lettice sometimes talk of moving to?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many cattle did Sammy own?
2. What did Mr. Roos add to the trap to make it more effective?
3. To what kind of fish did Elspeth compare the men lounging in the shade in the middle of the day?
4. Who accompanied Tilly to Kupanya to discuss the bewitching?
5. What was a mundu-mago?
This section contains 392 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)