|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the settlers assume Mr. Nimmo was making money?
(a) From bribes.
(b) From coffee harvests.
(c) From mineral extraction.
(d) From ivory poaching.
2. Why was Alec Wilson in Africa?
(a) He was escaping his family life.
(b) He was seeking adventure.
(c) He was seeking his fortune.
(d) His doctor told him to seek a dry and sunny climate.
3. With what did the natives think the Europeans created light at night?
(b) The sun.
4. What kind of background did Robin say would cause a chameleon to explode?
(a) An argyle sock.
(b) A polka-dotted rug.
(c) A piece of camoflage.
(d) A tartan rug.
5. Who accompanied Ian Crawfurd when he arrived at Thika?
(a) A Swahili attendant.
(b) A Somali attendant.
(c) A Saudi attendant.
(d) A Kikuyu attendant.
6. Why did the warriors refuse to remove any more weeds?
(a) It would hurt their pride.
(b) It was a waste of time.
(c) They wanted more money.
(d) They did not want to help Europeans.
7. What did Tilly knit for Randall?
8. What ancient story did Crawford use as an example?
(a) Cain and Abel.
(d) Adam and Eve.
9. What color are Elspeth Huxley's eyes?
10. How long did it take the workers to build their own huts?
(a) One week.
(b) Five days.
(c) Six days.
(d) Two days.
11. What was Sammy's ethnic mix?
12. What had the missionaries and the Government convinced the Kikuyu to adopt?
13. Why did Mr. Roos kick Sammy?
(a) Sammy ignored an order.
(b) Sammy stole money.
(c) Sammy went home.
(d) Sammy yelled at Mr. Roos.
14. What did Elspeth say she wanted more than anything?
(a) A chameleon.
(b) A pony.
(c) A snake.
(d) A duiker.
15. What did Juma falsely claim the Kikuyu ate?
(a) Human corpses.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Robin initially try to use to "break the ice" with the natives?
2. What was Elspeth awakened by after going to bed during the party?
3. What did Robin agree to pay for the work?
4. What did the natives take after negotiating payment for work?
5. What animals did Robin have a hard time handling?
This section contains 371 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)