|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What animal did Crawford "assign" to Mr. Palmer?
(a) A duiker.
(b) An ostrich.
(c) A giraffe.
(d) A python.
2. How was Wilson trying to learn the skills of farming?
(a) By simply doing it.
(b) By reading textbooks and government reports.
(c) By seeking the help of other European settlers.
(d) By seeking the help of local Africans.
3. What kind of background did Robin say would cause a chameleon to explode?
(a) A polka-dotted rug.
(b) An argyle sock.
(c) A piece of camoflage.
(d) A tartan rug.
4. How did the settlers assume Mr. Nimmo was making money?
(a) From bribes.
(b) From ivory poaching.
(c) From mineral extraction.
(d) From coffee harvests.
5. What did Elspeth call her pony?
6. Why was Tilly upset about Roger Stilbeck's letter?
(a) He was asking for more money.
(b) He was telling the Huxleys how wonderful the land was.
(c) He was ordering them to begin planting coffee.
(d) He was telling her whom to be friends with.
7. What are siafu?
(a) Warrior ants.
(d) Tse-tse flies.
8. What building material did Njombo refuse to use?
(a) Iron nails.
(c) Wooden boards.
9. How long was the journey from Nairobi to Thika?
(a) Five days.
(b) One day.
(c) Three days.
(d) Two days.
10. What was Robin's primary goal in his travels?
(a) Running a ranch.
(b) Finding precious stones and metals.
(d) Getting a government job.
11. What did Jock Nimmo spend most of his time doing?
(a) Building houses.
(d) Working with the government.
12. What birds did Crawford and Elspeth observe doing a mating ritual?
13. How did Randall Smith spend his Sundays?
(a) Searching for lions and buffaloes.
(b) Attending church services.
(c) Negotiating business deals.
(d) Planting gardens.
14. How long did Sammy stay at Fort Hall?
(a) Almost a month.
(b) Almost a full season.
(c) Almost a year.
(d) Almost a week.
15. Where was the District Commissioner located?
(a) Fort Mitchell.
(b) Fort Carter.
(c) Fort Smith.
(d) Fort Hall.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why were the Orams leaving Ruiri?
2. Where did the jiggas dig into the body?
3. What was the name of the Irishwoman known for her fearlessness?
4. What ancient story did Crawford use as an example?
5. What was Elspeth awakened by after going to bed during the party?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)