|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why were the Orams leaving Ruiri?
(a) It was getting overcrowded.
(b) They missed the Transvaal.
(c) They were getting more land in the Free State.
(d) They were returning to the Netherlands.
2. How did Captain Palmer plan to build his house?
(a) He hired the natives.
(b) He did the work himself.
(c) He hired a Nairobi contractor.
(d) He hired other settlers.
3. Why did Sammy question the wisdom of burying the murder victim?
(a) Because the killer had not been caught.
(b) Because the Kavirondo would dig up the corpse and eat it.
(c) Because the victim was not liked by the tribe.
(d) Because murder victims were not allowed to be buried.
4. In what African country had Robin mined for metals?
(b) South Africa.
5. What items did Mrs. Palmer say would need their own stable?
(a) Captain Palmer's trophies.
(b) The couple's cars.
(c) The couple's furniture.
(d) The couple's horses.
6. What did Elspeth receive as a gift at the New Year's party?
(a) A stuffed porcupine.
(b) A stuffed crocodile.
(c) A stuffed pythong.
(d) A stuffed chameleon.
7. What was Sammy's ethnic mix?
8. What color are Elspeth Huxley's eyes?
9. What did the Kikuyu do if someone died inside a hut?
(a) They moved the hut to another location.
(b) They buried the person in the hut.
(c) They burned the hut down.
(d) They gave the hut to survivors.
10. What did Tilly knit for Randall?
11. How long did it take the workers to build their own huts?
(a) One week.
(b) Six days.
(c) Five days.
(d) Two days.
12. What country did Mrs. Palmer like the best?
13. What building material did Njombo refuse to use?
(b) Wooden boards.
(d) Iron nails.
14. Why was Tilly upset about Roger Stilbeck's letter?
(a) He was asking for more money.
(b) He was telling her whom to be friends with.
(c) He was ordering them to begin planting coffee.
(d) He was telling the Huxleys how wonderful the land was.
15. Why did Njombo object to the house plans for the Huxleys?
(a) The house was made of brick.
(b) The house was circular.
(c) The house would face the wrong way.
(d) The house was rectangular.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the Irishwoman known for her fearlessness?
2. What animal did Crawford "assign" to Mr. Palmer?
3. Why did Mr. Roos kick Sammy?
4. What faith did Juma claim to be?
5. What was the murder victim's name?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)