|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Elspeth awakened by after going to bed during the party?
(c) Loud singing.
2. Why were the Orams leaving Ruiri?
(a) They were getting more land in the Free State.
(b) They missed the Transvaal.
(c) They were returning to the Netherlands.
(d) It was getting overcrowded.
3. Why did Njombo object to the house plans for the Huxleys?
(a) The house was rectangular.
(b) The house would face the wrong way.
(c) The house was made of brick.
(d) The house was circular.
4. What was Randall Smith's nationality?
5. Who accompanied Ian Crawfurd when he arrived at Thika?
(a) A Somali attendant.
(b) A Kikuyu attendant.
(c) A Swahili attendant.
(d) A Saudi attendant.
6. What kind of chickens did Tilly bring from England?
(b) Speckled Sussex.
(c) Speckled Essex.
(d) Rhode Island Reds.
7. What animals did Robin have a hard time handling?
8. How was Wilson trying to learn the skills of farming?
(a) By simply doing it.
(b) By reading textbooks and government reports.
(c) By seeking the help of local Africans.
(d) By seeking the help of other European settlers.
9. What game did Mrs. Palmer play with Tilly to get her mind off the dying man?
(d) Gin rummy.
10. What did Elspeth say she wanted more than anything?
(a) A duiker.
(b) A pony.
(c) A snake.
(d) A chameleon.
11. What color are Elspeth Huxley's eyes?
12. What was the name of the Irishwoman known for her fearlessness?
(a) Pioneer Brigid.
(b) Pioneer Mary.
(c) Pioneer Moire.
(d) Pioneer Maureen.
13. Who had once killed a lion at the meeting place of the two rivers?
(a) Vladimir Lenin.
(b) Theodore Roosevelt.
(c) Woodrow Wilson.
(d) Winston Churchill.
14. What did Juma falsely claim the Kikuyu ate?
(c) Human corpses.
15. What did Robin agree to pay for the work?
(a) Coffee beans.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Kikuyu do if someone died inside a hut?
2. What did Robin initially try to use to "break the ice" with the natives?
3. What animals did the Huxley family take with them to Africa?
4. What birds did Crawford and Elspeth observe doing a mating ritual?
5. How long was the journey from Nairobi to Thika?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)