|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who accompanied Ian Crawfurd when he arrived at Thika?
(a) A Somali attendant.
(b) A Swahili attendant.
(c) A Saudi attendant.
(d) A Kikuyu attendant.
2. What was Elspeth awakened by after going to bed during the party?
(c) Loud singing.
3. What was the name of the Irishwoman known for her fearlessness?
(a) Pioneer Mary.
(b) Pioneer Maureen.
(c) Pioneer Brigid.
(d) Pioneer Moire.
4. What did Juma falsely claim the Kikuyu ate?
(c) Human corpses.
5. What did Crawford say was a sign of a made-up story?
(a) A neat and tidy ending.
(b) No ending at all.
(c) A tragic ending.
(d) A happy ending.
6. What was Elspeth eating in a "funny" way at Mrs. Nimmo's the day after the party?
(b) Scrambled eggs.
(d) Poached eggs.
7. What birds did Crawford and Elspeth observe doing a mating ritual?
8. What animal did Crawford "assign" to Mr. Palmer?
(a) An ostrich.
(b) A python.
(c) A duiker.
(d) A giraffe.
9. In the folktale, what resulted from the chameleon's failure to deliver God's message?
(a) The sun sets each day.
(b) Humans eventually die.
(c) The moon disappears each month.
(d) The dry season comes each year.
10. What had the missionaries and the Government convinced the Kikuyu to adopt?
11. What was Sammy's ethnic mix?
12. What items did Mrs. Palmer say would need their own stable?
(a) The couple's cars.
(b) Captain Palmer's trophies.
(c) The couple's furniture.
(d) The couple's horses.
13. In what African country had Robin mined for metals?
(b) South Africa.
14. Why did Sammy question the wisdom of burying the murder victim?
(a) Because the Kavirondo would dig up the corpse and eat it.
(b) Because the killer had not been caught.
(c) Because the victim was not liked by the tribe.
(d) Because murder victims were not allowed to be buried.
15. Where was Mr. Nimmo allegedly detained on business?
(b) Belgian Congo.
(c) South Africa.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was given the nickname Bad Hat?
2. According to Tilly, what was a main cause of the native children's bloated stomachs?
3. What did Jock Nimmo spend most of his time doing?
4. What did the author refer to as "that sovereign remedy for almost everything"?
5. What country did Mrs. Palmer like the best?
This section contains 392 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)