|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Robin initially try to use to "break the ice" with the natives?
(a) A gramaphone.
(b) A sewing machine.
(c) A telephone.
(d) A radio.
2. What did Jock Nimmo spend most of his time doing?
(a) Working with the government.
(c) Building houses.
3. Where did the jiggas dig into the body?
(a) On the scalp.
(b) In the ears.
(c) Under the toenail.
(d) Under the fingernail.
4. What color are Elspeth Huxley's eyes?
5. What sentimental possession of Mrs. Nimmo's was damaged during the party?
(a) A quilt.
(b) A cross-stitch sampler.
(c) An oil painting.
(d) A watercolor painting.
6. What birds did Crawford and Elspeth observe doing a mating ritual?
7. Why were the Orams leaving Ruiri?
(a) They were getting more land in the Free State.
(b) They were returning to the Netherlands.
(c) They missed the Transvaal.
(d) It was getting overcrowded.
8. Where was Mr. Nimmo allegedly detained on business?
(a) South Africa.
(b) Belgian Congo.
9. What natural phenomenon did Mrs. Palmer see in her travels to Scandinavia?
(a) A total solar eclipse.
(b) A total lunar eclipse.
(c) A comet.
(d) The aurora borealis.
10. What crop did Stilbeck insist would be easy to grow on the farm?
11. What was Njombo saving up the goats for?
(a) A bride.
(b) A farm.
(c) To give to his parents.
(d) A blood price.
12. What kind of dogs did the Palmers bring to Africa?
13. What did Robin desire after making his fortune?
(a) To travel around the world.
(b) To go to Australia.
(c) To do nothing.
(d) To go on safari.
14. What was the name of the Irishwoman known for her fearlessness?
(a) Pioneer Brigid.
(b) Pioneer Mary.
(c) Pioneer Maureen.
(d) Pioneer Moire.
15. What did Elspeth receive as a gift at the New Year's party?
(a) A stuffed chameleon.
(b) A stuffed pythong.
(c) A stuffed porcupine.
(d) A stuffed crocodile.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Sammy's ethnic mix?
2. What did the natives take after negotiating payment for work?
3. What was Randall Smith's nationality?
4. What game did Mrs. Palmer play with Tilly to get her mind off the dying man?
5. What animals did Robin have a hard time handling?
This section contains 368 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)