|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What creatures did Crawford say were shy?
2. What kind of dogs did the Palmers bring to Africa?
3. In the folktale, what resulted from the chameleon's failure to deliver God's message?
(a) The dry season comes each year.
(b) Humans eventually die.
(c) The sun sets each day.
(d) The moon disappears each month.
4. What did Elspeth receive as a gift at the New Year's party?
(a) A stuffed chameleon.
(b) A stuffed crocodile.
(c) A stuffed pythong.
(d) A stuffed porcupine.
5. How long was the journey from Nairobi to Thika?
(a) Three days.
(b) Five days.
(c) Two days.
(d) One day.
6. What did the Kikuyu do if someone died inside a hut?
(a) They burned the hut down.
(b) They buried the person in the hut.
(c) They moved the hut to another location.
(d) They gave the hut to survivors.
7. What did the author refer to as "that sovereign remedy for almost everything"?
(a) Epsom salts.
(b) Cod-liver oil.
8. How many acres of land did Robin buy from Roger Stilbeck?
9. How did the settlers assume Mr. Nimmo was making money?
(a) From ivory poaching.
(b) From coffee harvests.
(c) From mineral extraction.
(d) From bribes.
10. How was Wilson trying to learn the skills of farming?
(a) By seeking the help of other European settlers.
(b) By reading textbooks and government reports.
(c) By seeking the help of local Africans.
(d) By simply doing it.
11. How did Randall Smith spend his Sundays?
(a) Negotiating business deals.
(b) Planting gardens.
(c) Attending church services.
(d) Searching for lions and buffaloes.
12. What did Elspeth call her pony?
13. What kind of background did Robin say would cause a chameleon to explode?
(a) A polka-dotted rug.
(b) An argyle sock.
(c) A piece of camoflage.
(d) A tartan rug.
14. What did Crawford say was a sign of a made-up story?
(a) A tragic ending.
(b) A neat and tidy ending.
(c) No ending at all.
(d) A happy ending.
15. What did Jock Nimmo spend most of his time doing?
(b) Building houses.
(c) Working with the government.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year was the Huxley family heading to Thika?
2. Why did Mr. Roos kick Sammy?
3. Who was given the nickname Bad Hat?
4. Where was the District Commissioner located?
5. According to Tilly, what was a main cause of the native children's bloated stomachs?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)