|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What items did Mrs. Palmer say would need their own stable?
(a) The couple's horses.
(b) The couple's cars.
(c) The couple's furniture.
(d) Captain Palmer's trophies.
2. Where was the District Commissioner located?
(a) Fort Smith.
(b) Fort Mitchell.
(c) Fort Carter.
(d) Fort Hall.
3. What did Robin agree to pay for the work?
(b) Coffee beans.
4. What creatures did Crawford say were shy?
5. What did Crawford say was a sign of a made-up story?
(a) No ending at all.
(b) A tragic ending.
(c) A neat and tidy ending.
(d) A happy ending.
6. How did Captain Palmer plan to build his house?
(a) He hired the natives.
(b) He did the work himself.
(c) He hired other settlers.
(d) He hired a Nairobi contractor.
7. Who had once killed a lion at the meeting place of the two rivers?
(a) Winston Churchill.
(b) Woodrow Wilson.
(c) Vladimir Lenin.
(d) Theodore Roosevelt.
8. What kind of dogs did the Palmers bring to Africa?
9. What was Randall Smith's nationality?
10. What did Tilly knit for Randall?
11. Why was Alec Wilson in Africa?
(a) He was seeking his fortune.
(b) He was escaping his family life.
(c) His doctor told him to seek a dry and sunny climate.
(d) He was seeking adventure.
12. What animal did Crawford "assign" to Mr. Palmer?
(a) A python.
(b) An ostrich.
(c) A duiker.
(d) A giraffe.
13. What was the name of the Irishwoman known for her fearlessness?
(a) Pioneer Maureen.
(b) Pioneer Moire.
(c) Pioneer Brigid.
(d) Pioneer Mary.
14. What did most of the farmers do as the New Year came?
(a) Went to Nairobi for supplies.
(b) Went on safari.
(c) Went to Nairobi for the races.
(d) Began harvesting.
15. What kind of chickens did Tilly bring from England?
(a) Speckled Sussex.
(b) Rhode Island Reds.
(d) Speckled Essex.
Short Answer Questions
1. About how many miles a day could the oxen handle?
2. What did the author refer to as "that sovereign remedy for almost everything"?
3. What are siafu?
4. How long did Sammy stay at Fort Hall?
5. How long was the journey from Nairobi to Thika?
This section contains 358 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)