|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the warriors refuse to remove any more weeds?
(a) They wanted more money.
(b) It was a waste of time.
(c) It would hurt their pride.
(d) They did not want to help Europeans.
2. How did the settlers assume Mr. Nimmo was making money?
(a) From mineral extraction.
(b) From coffee harvests.
(c) From ivory poaching.
(d) From bribes.
3. What was Elspeth awakened by after going to bed during the party?
(c) Loud singing.
4. What was the name of the Irishwoman known for her fearlessness?
(a) Pioneer Brigid.
(b) Pioneer Mary.
(c) Pioneer Maureen.
(d) Pioneer Moire.
5. What natural phenomenon did Mrs. Palmer see in her travels to Scandinavia?
(a) A comet.
(b) A total lunar eclipse.
(c) The aurora borealis.
(d) A total solar eclipse.
6. What was Robin's primary goal in his travels?
(a) Getting a government job.
(b) Running a ranch.
(d) Finding precious stones and metals.
7. What sentimental possession of Mrs. Nimmo's was damaged during the party?
(a) A watercolor painting.
(b) An oil painting.
(c) A cross-stitch sampler.
(d) A quilt.
8. What faith did Juma claim to be?
9. What eventually attracted the attention of the natives?
(a) The gramaphone.
(b) The lamp.
(c) The sewing machine.
(d) The piano.
10. What did Jock Nimmo spend most of his time doing?
(b) Building houses.
(c) Working with the government.
11. How long did Sammy stay at Fort Hall?
(a) Almost a full season.
(b) Almost a week.
(c) Almost a month.
(d) Almost a year.
12. How long was the journey from Nairobi to Thika?
(a) Five days.
(b) One day.
(c) Two days.
(d) Three days.
13. What game did Mrs. Palmer play with Tilly to get her mind off the dying man?
(c) Gin rummy.
14. Why did Sammy question the wisdom of burying the murder victim?
(a) Because the Kavirondo would dig up the corpse and eat it.
(b) Because the victim was not liked by the tribe.
(c) Because murder victims were not allowed to be buried.
(d) Because the killer had not been caught.
15. What was Elspeth eating in a "funny" way at Mrs. Nimmo's the day after the party?
(a) Scrambled eggs.
(b) Poached eggs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of dogs did the Palmers bring to Africa?
2. What building material did Njombo refuse to use?
3. What did Elspeth say she wanted more than anything?
4. What was the murder victim's name?
5. Who accompanied Ian Crawfurd when he arrived at Thika?
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)