|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Captain Palmer plan to build his house?
(a) He did the work himself.
(b) He hired other settlers.
(c) He hired the natives.
(d) He hired a Nairobi contractor.
2. How long did it take the workers to build their own huts?
(a) One week.
(b) Five days.
(c) Six days.
(d) Two days.
3. In what African country had Robin mined for metals?
(d) South Africa.
4. With what did the natives think the Europeans created light at night?
(d) The sun.
5. Why did Mr. Roos kick Sammy?
(a) Sammy ignored an order.
(b) Sammy yelled at Mr. Roos.
(c) Sammy went home.
(d) Sammy stole money.
6. What crop was Smith growing?
7. What building material did Njombo refuse to use?
(a) Wooden boards.
(c) Iron nails.
8. What was the name of the Irishwoman known for her fearlessness?
(a) Pioneer Moire.
(b) Pioneer Maureen.
(c) Pioneer Mary.
(d) Pioneer Brigid.
9. What game did Mrs. Palmer play with Tilly to get her mind off the dying man?
(d) Gin rummy.
10. What did Robin initially try to use to "break the ice" with the natives?
(a) A radio.
(b) A gramaphone.
(c) A sewing machine.
(d) A telephone.
11. Where did the jiggas dig into the body?
(a) Under the fingernail.
(b) Under the toenail.
(c) In the ears.
(d) On the scalp.
12. How long was the journey from Nairobi to Thika?
(a) Five days.
(b) Two days.
(c) One day.
(d) Three days.
13. What did Juma falsely claim the Kikuyu ate?
(c) Human corpses.
14. In what year was the Huxley family heading to Thika?
15. About how many miles a day could the oxen handle?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the murder victim's name?
2. What did Elspeth say she wanted more than anything?
3. What sentimental possession of Mrs. Nimmo's was damaged during the party?
4. What ancient story did Crawford use as an example?
5. What was Njombo saving up the goats for?
This section contains 341 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)