|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the murder victim's name?
2. What did Robin initially try to use to "break the ice" with the natives?
(a) A sewing machine.
(b) A radio.
(c) A gramaphone.
(d) A telephone.
3. What crop was Smith growing?
4. What kind of dogs did the Palmers bring to Africa?
5. What did the natives take after negotiating payment for work?
(a) Tin cups.
(c) The gramophone.
(d) The sewing machine.
6. Who accompanied Ian Crawfurd when he arrived at Thika?
(a) A Saudi attendant.
(b) A Somali attendant.
(c) A Kikuyu attendant.
(d) A Swahili attendant.
7. According to Tilly, what was a main cause of the native children's bloated stomachs?
(a) Enlarged spleen from malaria.
(c) Eating too much.
8. What animals did Robin have a hard time handling?
9. How was Wilson trying to learn the skills of farming?
(a) By seeking the help of local Africans.
(b) By simply doing it.
(c) By reading textbooks and government reports.
(d) By seeking the help of other European settlers.
10. What natural phenomenon did Mrs. Palmer see in her travels to Scandinavia?
(a) A total solar eclipse.
(b) The aurora borealis.
(c) A comet.
(d) A total lunar eclipse.
11. How did the settlers assume Mr. Nimmo was making money?
(a) From ivory poaching.
(b) From coffee harvests.
(c) From bribes.
(d) From mineral extraction.
12. What was Elspeth eating in a "funny" way at Mrs. Nimmo's the day after the party?
(c) Scrambled eggs.
(d) Poached eggs.
13. What creatures did Crawford say were shy?
14. What did Crawford say was a sign of a made-up story?
(a) A neat and tidy ending.
(b) A tragic ending.
(c) No ending at all.
(d) A happy ending.
15. What had the missionaries and the Government convinced the Kikuyu to adopt?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Mr. Nimmo allegedly detained on business?
2. What did Jock Nimmo spend most of his time doing?
3. Why were the Orams leaving Ruiri?
4. Why did Sammy question the wisdom of burying the murder victim?
5. What did the author refer to as "that sovereign remedy for almost everything"?
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)