|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Elspeth receive as a gift at the New Year's party?
(a) A stuffed porcupine.
(b) A stuffed pythong.
(c) A stuffed chameleon.
(d) A stuffed crocodile.
2. Who had once killed a lion at the meeting place of the two rivers?
(a) Theodore Roosevelt.
(b) Woodrow Wilson.
(c) Vladimir Lenin.
(d) Winston Churchill.
3. Why did Njombo object to the house plans for the Huxleys?
(a) The house was rectangular.
(b) The house was made of brick.
(c) The house was circular.
(d) The house would face the wrong way.
4. Why did the warriors refuse to remove any more weeds?
(a) It would hurt their pride.
(b) They wanted more money.
(c) They did not want to help Europeans.
(d) It was a waste of time.
5. What crop did Stilbeck insist would be easy to grow on the farm?
6. How long did Sammy stay at Fort Hall?
(a) Almost a week.
(b) Almost a month.
(c) Almost a year.
(d) Almost a full season.
7. What did Robin agree to pay for the work?
(c) Coffee beans.
8. What did Juma falsely claim the Kikuyu ate?
(b) Human corpses.
9. How did Captain Palmer plan to build his house?
(a) He hired a Nairobi contractor.
(b) He hired the natives.
(c) He did the work himself.
(d) He hired other settlers.
10. What items did Mrs. Palmer say would need their own stable?
(a) The couple's cars.
(b) Captain Palmer's trophies.
(c) The couple's horses.
(d) The couple's furniture.
11. About how many miles a day could the oxen handle?
12. What was Robin's primary goal in his travels?
(a) Running a ranch.
(b) Getting a government job.
(c) Finding precious stones and metals.
13. What eventually attracted the attention of the natives?
(a) The gramaphone.
(b) The lamp.
(c) The sewing machine.
(d) The piano.
14. What animals did the Huxley family take with them to Africa?
15. What did most of the farmers do as the New Year came?
(a) Began harvesting.
(b) Went to Nairobi for supplies.
(c) Went on safari.
(d) Went to Nairobi for the races.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who accompanied Ian Crawfurd when he arrived at Thika?
2. What faith did Juma claim to be?
3. What was Elspeth eating in a "funny" way at Mrs. Nimmo's the day after the party?
4. How long was the journey from Nairobi to Thika?
5. Why did Mr. Roos kick Sammy?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)