|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Captain Palmer plan to build his house?
(a) He hired the natives.
(b) He did the work himself.
(c) He hired other settlers.
(d) He hired a Nairobi contractor.
2. How long was the journey from Nairobi to Thika?
(a) One day.
(b) Three days.
(c) Five days.
(d) Two days.
3. What birds did Crawford and Elspeth observe doing a mating ritual?
4. What animals did the Huxley family take with them to Africa?
5. What did most of the farmers do as the New Year came?
(a) Went to Nairobi for supplies.
(b) Went to Nairobi for the races.
(c) Began harvesting.
(d) Went on safari.
6. What creatures did Crawford say were shy?
7. In what year was the Huxley family heading to Thika?
8. What kind of background did Robin say would cause a chameleon to explode?
(a) A polka-dotted rug.
(b) A tartan rug.
(c) An argyle sock.
(d) A piece of camoflage.
9. What instrument were the Palmers bringing to Africa?
(a) A piano.
(b) A harp.
(c) A harpsichord.
(d) A cello.
10. What did the Kikuyu do if someone died inside a hut?
(a) They buried the person in the hut.
(b) They moved the hut to another location.
(c) They burned the hut down.
(d) They gave the hut to survivors.
11. How long did Sammy stay at Fort Hall?
(a) Almost a week.
(b) Almost a month.
(c) Almost a full season.
(d) Almost a year.
12. Why did Sammy question the wisdom of burying the murder victim?
(a) Because the victim was not liked by the tribe.
(b) Because the killer had not been caught.
(c) Because murder victims were not allowed to be buried.
(d) Because the Kavirondo would dig up the corpse and eat it.
13. What did Elspeth receive as a gift at the New Year's party?
(a) A stuffed pythong.
(b) A stuffed crocodile.
(c) A stuffed chameleon.
(d) A stuffed porcupine.
14. In the folktale, what resulted from the chameleon's failure to deliver God's message?
(a) The moon disappears each month.
(b) The dry season comes each year.
(c) Humans eventually die.
(d) The sun sets each day.
15. What was the name of the Irishwoman known for her fearlessness?
(a) Pioneer Mary.
(b) Pioneer Brigid.
(c) Pioneer Moire.
(d) Pioneer Maureen.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the author refer to as "that sovereign remedy for almost everything"?
2. What did Robin agree to pay for the work?
3. With what did the natives think the Europeans created light at night?
4. What kind of dogs did the Palmers bring to Africa?
5. What color are Elspeth Huxley's eyes?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)