|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the old man with the canary that Jacques went to visit?
2. Why did the Cormerys show up early for the awards ceremony?
3. What was Josephin's relationship to Ernest?
4. What would Jacques tell his family about the lycee during dinner?
5. What made the mother and grandmother proud?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Jacques got to school each day.
2. Explain what the lycee is and why it was a privilege to go there.
3. What was Ernest's relationship like with his sister?
4. Describe the attitude of the vets in the soldier's home.
5. What does Jacques do on Thursdays?
6. How does Jacques feel about his family coming to the awards ceremony?
7. Why did Jacques like M. Bernard so much?
8. Why didn't Jacques' mother and grandmother want him to go to the lycee?
9. What does Jacques feel as he goes down the hallway and outside?
10. What does Jacques realize about his father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how Jacques felt about his father. How did his mother's relationship to his father influence him? How did he change as he learned more about his father?
Essay Topic 2
When Lucie and Henri moved, they had to deal with many different changes. Explain what they had to face culturally, physically, mentally, and socially.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the home Jacques grew up in when he lived in Algiers. Who lived with him? What was the neighborhood like? What were some of the challenges they faced living there? Was he happy? Why or why not?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)