|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Jacques at the cooperage?
2. What could Jacques identify by smell?
3. What separated the two worlds in Jacques?
4. Why did the Cormerys show up early for the awards ceremony?
5. What were people drawn to in Ernest, including Jacques' grandmother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jacques go to Jacques, and what does he find?
2. What does Jacques feel as he goes down the hallway and outside?
3. Why did the French come to Algeria, and what did they find?
4. Why is Jacques sent out to get a hen?
5. What does Jacques do on Thursdays?
6. Describe what happens when Jacques needs a permission slip signed.
7. What did Jacques feel about Ernest?
8. How did Ernest feel about his mother?
9. What handicap did Ernest have, and how did it affect his life?
10. Describe the grandmother's response to his task, and how Jacques feels about it.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the differences between Malan's love for Jacques and Jacques' love for Malan? How do they deal with the difference?
Essay Topic 2
There was a shift in roles as Jacques stood by the grave and realized his father was younger than he when he died. Describe how he felt about his father at this point, and explain how it was that Henri was viewed more as a child and Jacques more as the father.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Jacques go get a chicken, and how does he feel about it? What is his family's reaction to his task, and did it provide the outcome he was desiring? Why or why not?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)