|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Jacques feel about making money for his family?
2. Who was the old man with the canary that Jacques went to visit?
3. What book did the teacher read to the students?
4. What would Jacques tell his family about the lycee during dinner?
5. What type of book mostly appealed to Jacques?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jacques feel about his summer work?
2. Why did the French come to Algeria, and what did they find?
3. How did M. Bernard feel about the children of war victims?
4. What does Jacques realize about his father?
5. Why is Jacques sent out to get a hen?
6. What was Ernest's relationship like with his sister?
7. Describe what happens when Jacques needs a permission slip signed.
8. How did Ernest feel about his mother?
9. What handicap did Ernest have, and how did it affect his life?
10. How does Jacques feel about his family coming to the awards ceremony?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There was a shift in roles as Jacques stood by the grave and realized his father was younger than he when he died. Describe how he felt about his father at this point, and explain how it was that Henri was viewed more as a child and Jacques more as the father.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the home Jacques grew up in when he lived in Algiers. Who lived with him? What was the neighborhood like? What were some of the challenges they faced living there? Was he happy? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Jacques compares life to a relationship with a woman. Explain the comparison and add a paragraph about whether or not you agree with his comparison. Explain the reasoning behind your answer.
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)