|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the journey like for the original settlers?
2. What did Pierre and Jacques pass on the way to school?
3. How did Jacques define his religious preferences?
4. What did Jacques help Michel with?
5. What did Jacques have to give up to be friends with Georges?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Jacques sent out to get a hen?
2. Describe the grandmother's response to his task, and how Jacques feels about it.
3. What does Jacques feel as he goes down the hallway and outside?
4. What did Jacques feel about Ernest?
5. What does Jacques realize about his father?
6. How does Jacques feel about his classmates?
7. How did Ernest feel about his mother?
8. Describe how Lucie reacts to the task and how it makes Jacques feel.
9. Describe the attitude of the vets in the soldier's home.
10. What was Ernest's relationship like with his sister?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how Lucie and Henri related to the locals, and how the locals treated them in return. Use examples from the story to show their acceptance or antagonism towards each other.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the differences between Malan's love for Jacques and Jacques' love for Malan? How do they deal with the difference?
Essay Topic 3
There was a shift in roles as Jacques stood by the grave and realized his father was younger than he when he died. Describe how he felt about his father at this point, and explain how it was that Henri was viewed more as a child and Jacques more as the father.
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)