|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the old man with the canary that Jacques went to visit?
2. Where did Veillard's ancestors come from?
3. How did Tamzal feel about war?
4. What did the uncle and grandmother say Jacques had?
5. What had changed since Henri and Lucie lived there?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did M. Bernard feel about the children of war victims?
2. How does Jacques feel about his classmates?
3. Describe what happens when Jacques needs a permission slip signed.
4. What were the Arabs in the area like?
5. Explain what the lycee is and why it was a privilege to go there.
6. Why didn't Jacques' mother and grandmother want him to go to the lycee?
7. How does Jacques feel about his summer work?
8. How does Jacques feel about his family coming to the awards ceremony?
9. How did Jacques and Pierre feel about school in general?
10. What was Ernest's relationship like with his sister?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Jacques attends the lycee, he realizes how different his life is from the other students. Describe in detail at least three different ways that he is different and how he reacts to this difference. Be sure to include his reaction to his mother's work.
Essay Topic 2
Jacques spent many of his free days at the soldier's home. Describe his experiences there and how he reacted to them. How does this tie in to his own life situation and his family history?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the home Jacques grew up in when he lived in Algiers. Who lived with him? What was the neighborhood like? What were some of the challenges they faced living there? Was he happy? Why or why not?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)