|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What disability did Ernest have?
2. Why did the Cormerys show up early for the awards ceremony?
3. How did Jacques feel about the light?
4. What element of nature did Jacques truly appreciate?
5. Why did Jacques and Pierre have to leave their neighborhood on a daily basis?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Jacques got to school each day.
2. Describe what happens when Jacques needs a permission slip signed.
3. What does Jacques feel as he goes down the hallway and outside?
4. What does Jacques do on Thursdays?
5. What handicap did Ernest have, and how did it affect his life?
6. How does Jacques feel about his classmates?
7. How does Jacques feel about his summer work?
8. Why didn't Jacques' mother and grandmother want him to go to the lycee?
9. What does Jacques realize about his father?
10. What were the Arabs in the area like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how M. Bernard completely changed Jacques' world. What was he like as a teacher? How did he treat the students? How was he an advocate for Jacques? Why did Jacques continue to visit him even when he was old?
Essay Topic 2
When Lucie and Henri moved, they had to deal with many different changes. Explain what they had to face culturally, physically, mentally, and socially.
Essay Topic 3
When Jacques attends the lycee, he realizes how different his life is from the other students. Describe in detail at least three different ways that he is different and how he reacts to this difference. Be sure to include his reaction to his mother's work.
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)