|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Jacques walk to school with?
2. What was the hallway like?
3. What had changed since Henri and Lucie lived there?
4. What did Jacques and Pierre take to get to school?
5. What was the journey like for the original settlers?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Ernest feel about his mother?
2. What does Jacques realize about his father?
3. Describe how Lucie reacts to the task and how it makes Jacques feel.
4. What was Ernest's relationship like with his sister?
5. How does Jacques feel about his summer work?
6. Describe how Jacques got to school each day.
7. Describe the attitude of the vets in the soldier's home.
8. Why did Jacques like M. Bernard so much?
9. Explain what the lycee is and why it was a privilege to go there.
10. How does Jacques feel about his family coming to the awards ceremony?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the home Jacques grew up in when he lived in Algiers. Who lived with him? What was the neighborhood like? What were some of the challenges they faced living there? Was he happy? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
When Jacques greeted Lucie after his trip to the grave, how did they greet each other? How did she act right after the initial greeting? What did Jacques hold himself back from doing, although he did it when he was younger?
Essay Topic 3
When Jacques attends the lycee, he realizes how different his life is from the other students. Describe in detail at least three different ways that he is different and how he reacts to this difference. Be sure to include his reaction to his mother's work.
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)