|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Jacques at the cooperage?
2. How did Jacques feel about making money for his family?
3. How did Jacques feel about the light?
4. What did Jacques feel about summer camp?
5. What gift did the teacher give the older Jacques?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the grandmother's response to his task, and how Jacques feels about it.
2. How did Jacques and Pierre feel about school in general?
3. Describe what happens when Jacques needs a permission slip signed.
4. Describe how Jacques got to school each day.
5. What does Jacques feel as he goes down the hallway and outside?
6. How did M. Bernard feel about the children of war victims?
7. What does Jacques do on Thursdays?
8. What handicap did Ernest have, and how did it affect his life?
9. What were the Arabs in the area like?
10. What does Jacques realize about his father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how Lucie and Henri related to the locals, and how the locals treated them in return. Use examples from the story to show their acceptance or antagonism towards each other.
Essay Topic 2
How does Malan react to Jacques' interest in finding out more about Henri? What pieces of advice does he offer to Jacques regarding the search for more information?
Essay Topic 3
When Jacques greeted Lucie after his trip to the grave, how did they greet each other? How did she act right after the initial greeting? What did Jacques hold himself back from doing, although he did it when he was younger?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)