|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What disability did Ernest have?
2. Who tried to protect the chickens from thieves?
3. How did feel about getting a hen from the yard?
4. What did the farmer do?
5. Why was Jacques one of the teacher's pets?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Ernest feel about his mother?
2. What was Ernest's relationship like with his sister?
3. How did Jacques and Pierre feel about school in general?
4. Explain what the lycee is and why it was a privilege to go there.
5. What does Jacques do on Thursdays?
6. What does Jacques feel as he goes down the hallway and outside?
7. How does Jacques feel about his classmates?
8. Describe the attitude of the vets in the soldier's home.
9. What were the Arabs in the area like?
10. How does Jacques feel about his summer work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Jacques go get a chicken, and how does he feel about it? What is his family's reaction to his task, and did it provide the outcome he was desiring? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
How does Malan react to Jacques' interest in finding out more about Henri? What pieces of advice does he offer to Jacques regarding the search for more information?
Essay Topic 3
There was a shift in roles as Jacques stood by the grave and realized his father was younger than he when he died. Describe how he felt about his father at this point, and explain how it was that Henri was viewed more as a child and Jacques more as the father.
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)