|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the population like around their new home?
2. Who had the most influence in Jacques' childhood?
3. How did Lucie and her husband travel on the last stage of their trip to their new home?
4. Why did the women laugh when the doctor arrived?
5. What happened when the husband knocked on the door at the doctor's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Jacques lie to his grandmother about, and what did he learn from the experience?
2. How did Jacques perceive the relationship between his mother and father?
3. Who did Jacques live with in Algiers? What was their neighborhood like?
4. What memory of his father did Jacques receive from his grandmother?
5. What were the Arabs in the area like?
6. Why does Jacques get in trouble when he goes home, and what was his punishment? How does his mother react to the punishment?
7. Why did Jacques feel indebted to Malan?
8. How does Jacques feel about his summer work?
9. Describe the attitude of the vets in the soldier's home.
10. How did Henri show his love for Lucie?
Essay Topic 1
Why does Jacques go get a chicken, and how does he feel about it? What is his family's reaction to his task, and did it provide the outcome he was desiring? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the home Jacques grew up in when he lived in Algiers. Who lived with him? What was the neighborhood like? What were some of the challenges they faced living there? Was he happy? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how Jacques felt about his father. How did his mother's relationship to his father influence him? How did he change as he learned more about his father?
This section contains 1,204 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)