|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Henri's family from?
2. How did Jacques feel when the evening came?
3. What does Malan think about Henri's early death?
4. What sound did Jacques hear before he left the graveyard?
5. Why did he like his small town?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of town did Victor Malan live in?
2. Why did Jacques feel indebted to Malan?
3. What kind of games did Jacques and his friends play?
4. How did the caretaker help Jacques?
5. Why did Henri and Lucie leave Algiers?
6. How does Jacques feel about his summer work?
7. How did Jacques perceive the relationship between his mother and father?
8. What handicap did Ernest have, and how did it affect his life?
9. Why was soccer an issue in the household?
10. How does Malan respond to Jacques' acknowledgment of how he felt about him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jacques compares life to a relationship with a woman. Explain the comparison and add a paragraph about whether or not you agree with his comparison. Explain the reasoning behind your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Describe how Lucie and Henri related to the locals, and how the locals treated them in return. Use examples from the story to show their acceptance or antagonism towards each other.
Essay Topic 3
When Lucie and Henri moved, they had to deal with many different changes. Explain what they had to face culturally, physically, mentally, and socially.
This section contains 1,170 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)