|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Henri's family from?
2. What instrument did Jacques do best with?
3. Why did the women laugh when the doctor arrived?
4. How did the husband respond to the wife?
5. How did Jacques feel about going back to Algiers?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Lucie react to the situation she was in?
2. What kind of town did Victor Malan live in?
3. Describe how Jacques felt about France, and how he felt about Algiers.
4. What did Malan think about Jacques' idea to learn more about his father?
5. What did Jacques remember about going to the theater with the family?
6. Why did Jacques feel indebted to Malan?
7. How did the caretaker help Jacques?
8. Lucie lived in the same place where Jacques grew up. What was still the same about it, and what was different?
9. What parenting experience did Henri and Lucie have?
10. Why was soccer an issue in the household?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the family trip to the theater. Explain what it was like for the mother, the grandmother, and for Jacques..
Essay Topic 2
Explain what happened when Jacques has a coin. What does he do with it? What does he tell his grandmother about it? How does she react, and what does he learn from the experience.
Essay Topic 3
Describe how Lucie and Henri related to the locals, and how the locals treated them in return. Use examples from the story to show their acceptance or antagonism towards each other.
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)