|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the population like around their new home?
2. What did Malan look like?
3. What does Malan laugh with Jacques about?
4. Who was the traveler?
5. Where did he and his friends stop on the way to the field?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what the lycee is and why it was a privilege to go there.
2. How does Jacques view aging and death?
3. Describe what happened as dusk fell at the graveyard.
4. Why did the French come to Algeria, and what did they find?
5. Why was soccer an issue in the household?
6. How did Jacques perceive the relationship between his mother and father?
7. Describe how Jacques felt about France, and how he felt about Algiers.
8. How does Jacques feel about his summer work?
9. Why is Jacques sent out to get a hen?
10. How did Lucie feel about the war her husband died in?
Essay Topic 1
Describe how Jacques felt about his father. How did his mother's relationship to his father influence him? How did he change as he learned more about his father?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how Henri felt about fighting and warfare. What did Jacques learn about his father from the war stories told to him by his teacher?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the home Jacques grew up in when he lived in Algiers. Who lived with him? What was the neighborhood like? What were some of the challenges they faced living there? Was he happy? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,237 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)