|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Jacques' grandmother, what illness did Lucie have when she was young?
2. How did the man surprise the chambermaid at the hotel?
3. What did Jacques say happened to the coin?
4. Where did the traveler walk to when he left his hotel?
5. How old is Malan?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Henri and Lucie leave Algiers?
2. How did Jacques perceive the relationship between his mother and father?
3. How did Lucie feel about the war her husband died in?
4. Why did Jacques feel indebted to Malan?
5. How did Jacques feel about naps?
6. What was making Lucie anxious when he visited her?
7. Who did Jacques live with in Algiers? What was their neighborhood like?
8. What did Malan think about Jacques' idea to learn more about his father?
9. What memory of his father did Jacques receive from his grandmother?
10. How does Malan respond to Jacques' acknowledgment of how he felt about him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Malan react to Jacques' interest in finding out more about Henri? What pieces of advice does he offer to Jacques regarding the search for more information?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how Lucie and Henri related to the locals, and how the locals treated them in return. Use examples from the story to show their acceptance or antagonism towards each other.
Essay Topic 3
When Jacques greeted Lucie after his trip to the grave, how did they greet each other? How did she act right after the initial greeting? What did Jacques hold himself back from doing, although he did it when he was younger?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)