|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Malan?
2. Why did the women laugh when the doctor arrived?
3. What aura did the man emanate?
4. Why did he like his small town?
5. How does Malan describe Jacques?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jacques get in trouble when he goes home, and what was his punishment? How does his mother react to the punishment?
2. How did Lucie feel about the war her husband died in?
3. Why was soccer an issue in the household?
4. What were Jacques' friends like?
5. What kind of games did Jacques and his friends play?
6. What did the way Jacques demonstrate about his personality?
7. Explain where Jacques' father was buried and why.
8. Describe what happened as dusk fell at the graveyard.
9. Why did Jacques feel indebted to Malan?
10. Lucie lived in the same place where Jacques grew up. What was still the same about it, and what was different?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the home Jacques grew up in when he lived in Algiers. Who lived with him? What was the neighborhood like? What were some of the challenges they faced living there? Was he happy? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe what happened when Lucie became interested in a relationship. How did she change herself physically and mentally? How did her family react?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Jacques go get a chicken, and how does he feel about it? What is his family's reaction to his task, and did it provide the outcome he was desiring? Why or why not?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)