|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Malan feel about Jacques finding out more about his father?
2. How did Jacques' mother seem as she gazed out the window?
3. Who would Jacques take a siesta with when he was younger?
4. Where would all the children gather?
5. Where did the husband go to find a doctor?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Jacques perceive the relationship between his mother and father?
2. What did Jacques remember about going to the theater with the family?
3. Who did Jacques live with in Algiers? What was their neighborhood like?
4. How does Jacques feel about Malan?
5. How does Malan respond to Jacques' acknowledgment of how he felt about him?
6. What was making Lucie anxious when he visited her?
7. How did Henri show his love for Lucie?
8. How did Lucie feel about the war her husband died in?
9. Lucie lived in the same place where Jacques grew up. What was still the same about it, and what was different?
10. How did Malan feel about his wife?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe in detail Jacques' idea of a great summer day as he explains it in the book in the chapter "The Child's Games."
Essay Topic 2
Explain what happened when Jacques has a coin. What does he do with it? What does he tell his grandmother about it? How does she react, and what does he learn from the experience.
Essay Topic 3
Jacques compares life to a relationship with a woman. Explain the comparison and add a paragraph about whether or not you agree with his comparison. Explain the reasoning behind your answer.
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)