|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Jacques' mother live?
2. Why does Jacques say he's different around Malan?
3. What sound did Jacques hear before he left the graveyard?
4. How long had Malan and Jacques been friends?
5. What couldn't Jacques control?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Malan think about Jacques' idea to learn more about his father?
2. How did the caretaker help Jacques?
3. How does Malan respond to Jacques' acknowledgment of how he felt about him?
4. Who did Jacques live with in Algiers? What was their neighborhood like?
5. How did Lucie feel about the war her husband died in?
6. How did Jacques and his mother greet each other? How did Lucie prepare for him?
7. What kind of games did Jacques and his friends play?
8. Lucie lived in the same place where Jacques grew up. What was still the same about it, and what was different?
9. What memory of his father did Jacques receive from his grandmother?
10. Why was soccer an issue in the household?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how M. Bernard completely changed Jacques' world. What was he like as a teacher? How did he treat the students? How was he an advocate for Jacques? Why did Jacques continue to visit him even when he was old?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how Henri felt about fighting and warfare. What did Jacques learn about his father from the war stories told to him by his teacher?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the family trip to the theater. Explain what it was like for the mother, the grandmother, and for Jacques..
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)