|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Jacques go to visit his father?
2. Who did the Arab go to find?
3. What instrument did Jacques do best with?
4. What year did Lucie say she was born?
5. How would Jacques learn more about his father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Jacques realize about his father's age, and how did he react to this knowledge?
2. How did Malan feel about his wife?
3. How did Lucie feel about the war her husband died in?
4. How did Jacques perceive the relationship between his mother and father?
5. What was the journey like on the way to the new house?
6. How does Malan respond to Jacques' acknowledgment of how he felt about him?
7. Why was soccer an issue in the household?
8. What kind of games did Jacques and his friends play?
9. Why did Jacques feel indebted to Malan?
10. How did Jacques feel about naps?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how Henri felt about fighting and warfare. What did Jacques learn about his father from the war stories told to him by his teacher?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how Jacques felt about his father. How did his mother's relationship to his father influence him? How did he change as he learned more about his father?
Essay Topic 3
There was a shift in roles as Jacques stood by the grave and realized his father was younger than he when he died. Describe how he felt about his father at this point, and explain how it was that Henri was viewed more as a child and Jacques more as the father.
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)