|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where would all the children gather?
2. Where did the boys sneak away to in the summer?
3. How were the children in the theater kept in line?
4. What handicap did Lucie have?
5. What token did Lucie receive from the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was making Lucie anxious when he visited her?
2. What kind of town did Victor Malan live in?
3. What did the way Jacques demonstrate about his personality?
4. Explain where Jacques' father was buried and why.
5. Why did Jacques feel indebted to Malan?
6. What parenting experience did Henri and Lucie have?
7. What did Jacques lie to his grandmother about, and what did he learn from the experience?
8. What did Jacques realize about his father's age, and how did he react to this knowledge?
9. Who did Jacques live with in Algiers? What was their neighborhood like?
10. Why does Jacques get in trouble when he goes home, and what was his punishment? How does his mother react to the punishment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe in detail Jacques' idea of a great summer day as he explains it in the book in the chapter "The Child's Games."
Essay Topic 2
Jacques spent many of his free days at the soldier's home. Describe his experiences there and how he reacted to them. How does this tie in to his own life situation and his family history?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how M. Bernard completely changed Jacques' world. What was he like as a teacher? How did he treat the students? How was he an advocate for Jacques? Why did Jacques continue to visit him even when he was old?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)