|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Jacques feel about his father?
2. What was the weather like as Lucie and her husband traveled to their new home?
3. What did Lucie do in the evenings when Etienne wasn't there?
4. How old is Malan?
5. How did the wife respond to her pain.
Short Essay Questions
1. Lucie lived in the same place where Jacques grew up. What was still the same about it, and what was different?
2. Does Jacques ever break out of poverty? How does the reader know?
3. Why did Jacques feel indebted to Malan?
4. Describe what happened as dusk fell at the graveyard.
5. What kind of games did Jacques and his friends play?
6. What does Jacques do on Thursdays?
7. What did Malan think about Jacques' idea to learn more about his father?
8. How does Malan respond to Jacques' acknowledgment of how he felt about him?
9. How did Henri show his love for Lucie?
10. What does Jacques realize about his father?
Essay Topic 1
Describe how Henri felt about fighting and warfare. What did Jacques learn about his father from the war stories told to him by his teacher?
Essay Topic 2
When Lucie and Henri moved, they had to deal with many different changes. Explain what they had to face culturally, physically, mentally, and socially.
Essay Topic 3
Describe in detail Jacques' idea of a great summer day as he explains it in the book in the chapter "The Child's Games."
This section contains 1,173 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)