|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Malan ask for forgiveness?
2. What is one of Malan's faults according to Jacques?
3. What was Jacques like with his mother?
4. What did Malan think about marriage?
5. Why does Jacques say he's different around Malan?
Short Essay Questions
1. What memory of his father did Jacques receive from his grandmother?
2. Who did Jacques live with in Algiers? What was their neighborhood like?
3. How did Lucie feel about the war her husband died in?
4. What was the journey like on the way to the new house?
5. What were Jacques' friends like?
6. What did the way Jacques demonstrate about his personality?
7. Describe how Jacques felt about France, and how he felt about Algiers.
8. How did Jacques perceive the relationship between his mother and father?
9. How did Malan feel about his wife?
10. What did Jacques remember about going to the theater with the family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jacques compares life to a relationship with a woman. Explain the comparison and add a paragraph about whether or not you agree with his comparison. Explain the reasoning behind your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the home Jacques grew up in when he lived in Algiers. Who lived with him? What was the neighborhood like? What were some of the challenges they faced living there? Was he happy? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Ernest made a big impact on Jacques' life. Explain his role in young Jacques' developmental years. Cite some examples of Ernest's caring.
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)