|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose grave was the traveler looking for?
2. How old is Malan?
3. How did the husband respond to the wife?
4. What does Jacques think about Henri's early death?
5. Why was the wife in pain as they traveled?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Henri show his love for Lucie?
2. What did Jacques realize about his father's age, and how did he react to this knowledge?
3. Who did Jacques live with in Algiers? What was their neighborhood like?
4. Describe how Jacques felt about France, and how he felt about Algiers.
5. What was making Lucie anxious when he visited her?
6. How did Lucie feel about the war her husband died in?
7. What did Jacques lie to his grandmother about, and what did he learn from the experience?
8. Explain where Jacques' father was buried and why.
9. What did the way Jacques demonstrate about his personality?
10. How did Jacques perceive the relationship between his mother and father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There was a shift in roles as Jacques stood by the grave and realized his father was younger than he when he died. Describe how he felt about his father at this point, and explain how it was that Henri was viewed more as a child and Jacques more as the father.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how M. Bernard completely changed Jacques' world. What was he like as a teacher? How did he treat the students? How was he an advocate for Jacques? Why did Jacques continue to visit him even when he was old?
Essay Topic 3
Jacques compares life to a relationship with a woman. Explain the comparison and add a paragraph about whether or not you agree with his comparison. Explain the reasoning behind your answer.
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)