|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What year did Lucie say she was born?
2. What did they name the child?
3. How did Jacques feel about being on a boat?
4. What was Victor Malan's job?
5. Where was Henri's family from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of town did Victor Malan live in?
2. What did Jacques realize about his father's age, and how did he react to this knowledge?
3. What did Malan think about Jacques' idea to learn more about his father?
4. How did Malan feel about his wife?
5. What memory of his father did Jacques receive from his grandmother?
6. Who did Jacques live with in Algiers? What was their neighborhood like?
7. Describe what happened as dusk fell at the graveyard.
8. How did Henri show his love for Lucie?
9. How did the caretaker help Jacques?
10. How did Jacques and his mother greet each other? How did Lucie prepare for him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the differences between Malan's love for Jacques and Jacques' love for Malan? How do they deal with the difference?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how Jacques felt about his father. How did his mother's relationship to his father influence him? How did he change as he learned more about his father?
Essay Topic 3
Explain what happened when Jacques has a coin. What does he do with it? What does he tell his grandmother about it? How does she react, and what does he learn from the experience.
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)