|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the journey like for the original settlers?
(a) Scary as they faced the unknown.
(b) Very tough and unsanitary.
(c) Happy as they looked toward their new adventures.
(d) Smooth. The people in the new country helped them.
2. What did the farmer do?
(a) He went out to care for his vines.
(b) He dug up his vine and empties his vats.
(c) He rescued his animals.
(d) He offered his wine to the guerillas.
3. How did Tamzal feel about war?
(a) He abhorred it.
(b) He thought is was something everyone should engage in.
(c) He thought war was a strange beast.
(d) He felt it was more normal than peace.
4. How did Jacques define his religious preferences?
(a) He was a non-practicing Catholic.
(b) He was a strict Catholic.
(c) He was an agnostic.
(d) He was an atheist.
5. What made the mother and grandmother proud?
(a) They had a strong background.
(b) They had the nicest clothes.
(c) They met some very important people and got along with them.
(d) Jacques won an award.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Jacques one of the teacher's pets?
2. What book did the teacher read to the students?
3. What element of nature did Jacques truly appreciate?
4. How was the outside in comparison to the hallway?
5. What did Jacques like in his library books?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Ernest's relationship like with his sister?
2. Describe the grandmother's response to his task, and how Jacques feels about it.
3. How does Jacques feel about his classmates?
4. Why didn't Jacques' mother and grandmother want him to go to the lycee?
5. Why is Jacques sent out to get a hen?
6. What does Jacques feel as he goes down the hallway and outside?
7. Why did the French come to Algeria, and what did they find?
8. What does Jacques do on Thursdays?
9. What were the Arabs in the area like?
10. Describe the attitude of the vets in the soldier's home.
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)