|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Jacques feel about making money for his family?
(a) He felt it was his obligation.
(b) He resented the fact that he had to do it.
(c) He was happy to do it.
(d) He took great pride in it.
2. Who else understands their instinctive bond to the area?
(a) The Arabs.
(b) The French.
(c) The missionaries.
(d) Nobody else.
3. What type of book mostly appealed to Jacques?
(a) Science fiction.
(c) Cloak and dagger novels.
4. How did Jacques feel when he got into the school of higher education?
(a) Happy, but bereft as his teacher left.
(b) He felt like he deserved it.
(c) It made him somewhat sad.
(d) He regretted his decision to try for it.
5. What did the Cormerys do on vacation?
(a) They took trips to the beach.
(b) They went to the mountains.
(c) They didn't get vacations.
(d) They worked on their house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What disability did Ernest have?
2. What happened when Jacques told his mother and grandmother that he had a chance at getting a higher education?
3. What did Jacques dread each day when he went home from the lycee?
4. What did Jacques see in his half-dream state?
5. What could Jacques identify by smell?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the Arabs in the area like?
2. Describe how Lucie reacts to the task and how it makes Jacques feel.
3. What did Jacques feel about Ernest?
4. How does Jacques feel about his summer work?
5. How does Jacques feel about his family coming to the awards ceremony?
6. What handicap did Ernest have, and how did it affect his life?
7. Describe what happens when Jacques needs a permission slip signed.
8. What does Jacques feel as he goes down the hallway and outside?
9. Explain what the lycee is and why it was a privilege to go there.
10. What does Jacques realize about his father?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)