|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Jacques feel about the light?
(a) It was a waste of money.
(b) It glared harshly on their poverty.
(c) It made his heart grow lighter.
(d) He felt it disguised the true darkness around him.
2. How did Jacques feel when he got the hen?
(a) He was sick with disgust and fear.
3. What had changed since Henri and Lucie lived there?
(b) The house was bigger.
(c) Everything. All the original buildings were gone.
(d) Everything was even more dilapidated.
4. What was the journey like for the original settlers?
(a) Very tough and unsanitary.
(b) Smooth. The people in the new country helped them.
(c) Happy as they looked toward their new adventures.
(d) Scary as they faced the unknown.
5. How did Louis feel about getting a hen from the yard?
(a) He dreaded it.
(b) He thought it was fun to chase the hens.
(c) He refused to do it.
(d) He was afraid of the hens.
Short Answer Questions
1. What could Jacques identify by smell?
2. What did Jacques about male friendship when he was out with his uncle?
3. Who did Jacques walk to school with?
4. What element of nature did Jacques truly appreciate?
5. What type of relationship did students have with teachers at the lycee?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the Arabs in the area like?
2. What was Ernest's relationship like with his sister?
3. What handicap did Ernest have, and how did it affect his life?
4. Why didn't Jacques' mother and grandmother want him to go to the lycee?
5. What does Jacques feel as he goes down the hallway and outside?
6. Why did Jacques like M. Bernard so much?
7. What does Jacques realize about his father?
8. How does Jacques feel about his summer work?
9. Why did the French come to Algeria, and what did they find?
10. What does Jacques do on Thursdays?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)