|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Pierre and Jacques treat themselves with when they had extra money?
(a) Nothing. They saved all the money they could get.
(b) A plain fritter.
(c) A newspaper.
(d) A new book.
2. What set Jacques apart from his schoolmates?
(a) His poverty.
(b) His family traditions and values.
(c) His sense of humor.
(d) His brilliance.
3. What did people think about Ernest?
(a) He was good-natured and generous.
(b) He was mean.
(c) He was stupid.
(d) He was a recluse.
4. Where did Veillard's ancestors come from?
5. How did Jacques feel about making money for his family?
(a) He resented the fact that he had to do it.
(b) He took great pride in it.
(c) He felt it was his obligation.
(d) He was happy to do it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of relationship did students have with teachers at the lycee?
2. What made the mother and grandmother proud?
3. When did Jacques have time to do what he wanted?
4. Why was M. Bernard's class so interesting for the children?
5. How was the outside in comparison to the hallway?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the grandmother's response to his task, and how Jacques feels about it.
2. What does Jacques feel as he goes down the hallway and outside?
3. Explain what the lycee is and why it was a privilege to go there.
4. How does Jacques feel about his summer work?
5. What does Jacques realize about his father?
6. How does Jacques feel about his family coming to the awards ceremony?
7. How did Ernest feel about his mother?
8. What did Jacques feel about Ernest?
9. Why did the French come to Algeria, and what did they find?
10. What does Jacques do on Thursdays?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)