|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Jacques like in his library books?
(a) Books with many images.
(b) Lots of content with small margins and lots of words.
(c) Books with lots of quotes.
(d) Poetry books.
2. Where did Pierre and Jacques spend some of their free time?
(a) At the soldier's home.
(b) They rode the trolley around town.
(c) Studying in the cellar.
(d) At the lycee, talking with tutors.
3. What set Jacques apart from his schoolmates?
(a) His sense of humor.
(b) His brilliance.
(c) His family traditions and values.
(d) His poverty.
4. Who was around to tell Pierre and Jacques what to expect from the lycee?
(a) No one.
(b) Jacques' mother.
(c) The grandmother.
(d) M. Bernard.
5. What was the hallway like?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Josephin work?
2. What made the mother and grandmother proud?
3. How did Jacques define his religious preferences?
4. How did Jacques feel about the light?
5. What kind of lighting did they have in the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the French come to Algeria, and what did they find?
2. Describe how Jacques got to school each day.
3. How did M. Bernard feel about the children of war victims?
4. Describe how Lucie reacts to the task and how it makes Jacques feel.
5. What were the Arabs in the area like?
6. Why didn't Jacques' mother and grandmother want him to go to the lycee?
7. What does Jacques do on Thursdays?
8. Describe what happens when Jacques needs a permission slip signed.
9. Describe the attitude of the vets in the soldier's home.
10. Explain what the lycee is and why it was a privilege to go there.
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)