|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How were Jacques and his father similar?
(a) They both loved art.
(b) They were both soldiers.
(c) Jacques looked like his father.
(d) They both were farmers.
2. What did Jacques realize about his father?
(a) He was younger than Jacques when he died.
(b) The man was prone to anger.
(c) His father made a positive impact on many people's lives.
(d) His father was a hero to many.
3. What did Malan look like?
(a) A Chinese man.
(b) The stereotypical Frenchman.
(c) An Arab.
(d) A troubadour.
4. Why was Lucie afraid?
(a) Two bombs had exploded in her area that week.
(b) She was worried that she wouldn't have money to survive.
(c) She didn't want to die.
(d) She had nightmares about her husband's death when she slept.
5. How did Jacques feel about Paris?
(a) He thrived in the atmosphere of the city.
(b) He didn't like it.
(c) He loved it.
(d) He refused to go back there.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Jacques feel about going back to Algiers?
2. How did the husband respond when the doctor asked if he had other children?
3. What sound did Jacques hear before he left the graveyard?
4. What token did Lucie receive from the war?
5. How did the husband respond to the wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were Jacques' friends like?
2. What were their first impressions of their new home and homeland?
3. Why was soccer an issue in the household?
4. Who did Jacques live with in Algiers? What was their neighborhood like?
5. How did Lucie react to the situation she was in?
6. What did Jacques remember about going to the theater with the family?
7. Lucie lived in the same place where Jacques grew up. What was still the same about it, and what was different?
8. Explain where Jacques' father was buried and why.
9. How does Jacques feel about Malan?
10. What kind of games did Jacques and his friends play?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)