|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Jacques feel about siestas?
(a) He knew he needed them.
(b) He looked forward to going to bed.
(c) He hated them.
(d) He found them relaxing and pleasant.
2. Why did Malan ask for forgiveness?
(a) Sometimes he doesn't know how to respond to caring.
(b) He is a bitter man.
(c) Sometimes he cares too much.
(d) He doesn't understand what Jacques is going through.
3. How did Jacques' mother seem as she gazed out the window?
4. What was Victor Malan's job?
(d) Customs administration.
5. What does Malan think about Henri's early death?
(a) He thinks he was spared suffering.
(b) He is sad when thinking about the joys in life that Henri missed.
(c) He thinks it's tragic.
(d) He thinks that's what one deserves when he goes off to war.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Jacques realize about his father?
2. What did Jacques realize about his grandmother?
3. What was the sea like?
4. What did Lucie think about movies?
5. What was the mattress in the new house like?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Malan think about Jacques' idea to learn more about his father?
2. What kind of games did Jacques and his friends play?
3. Explain where Jacques' father was buried and why.
4. How did Jacques and his mother greet each other? How did Lucie prepare for him?
5. What memory of his father did Jacques receive from his grandmother?
6. What did Jacques realize about his father's age, and how did he react to this knowledge?
7. What did Jacques lie to his grandmother about, and what did he learn from the experience?
8. What did the way Jacques demonstrate about his personality?
9. Who did Jacques live with in Algiers? What was their neighborhood like?
10. What was the journey like on the way to the new house?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)