|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did the Arab go to find?
(a) His daughter-in-law.
(b) His wife.
(c) A doctor.
(d) His sister.
2. What did Lucie think of the political situation when her husband went off to war?
(a) She had been following the politically strategies closely and agreed that her husband he to go.
(b) She understood why they needed to fight.
(c) She wanted to leave the country.
(d) She didn't know what was going on.
3. Why was the wife in pain as they traveled?
(a) She suffered from migraines.
(b) She had a bad back.
(c) She had a broken leg.
(d) She was in labor.
4. What did Jacques realize about his grandmother?
(a) She thought he was a nuisance.
(b) It was painful for her to be with him since he was so similar to his father.
(c) She resented his presence in her life.
(d) She loved him.
5. Where did he and his friends stop on the way to the field?
(a) The candy store.
(b) The waterspout.
(c) The post office.
(d) The market.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did he like his small town?
2. How long had Malan and Jacques been friends?
3. What was Victor Malan's job?
4. Where did the husband go to find a doctor?
5. How did Henri react to the execution he witnessed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Jacques sent out to get a hen?
2. Explain what the lycee is and why it was a privilege to go there.
3. Lucie lived in the same place where Jacques grew up. What was still the same about it, and what was different?
4. Describe what happened as dusk fell at the graveyard.
5. What did Malan think about Jacques' idea to learn more about his father?
6. Describe how Jacques felt about France, and how he felt about Algiers.
7. Describe how Jacques got to school each day.
8. How did Lucie feel about the war her husband died in?
9. How did Jacques and Pierre feel about school in general?
10. Describe how Lucie reacts to the task and how it makes Jacques feel.
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)