|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the traveler?
(a) The Arab.
2. How were the children in the theater kept in line?
(a) They were bribed with candy.
(b) With a whip
(c) They were kicked out if they were noisy.
(d) They had to stand in a corner if they didn't behave.
3. What did Lucie think about movies?
(a) The theater wasn't a treat for her.
(b) She wanted to be a movie star.
(c) She appreciated her escape from reality.
(d) She felt that the theater was too crowded.
4. According to Jacques' grandmother, what illness did Lucie have when she was young?
(a) Chicken pox.
(c) The flu.
5. How long had Malan and Jacques been friends?
(a) 5 years.
(b) 20 years.
(c) 10 years.
(d) 40 years.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Jacques like with his mother?
2. How did Jacques feel about Paris?
3. What did Jacques say happened to the coin?
4. What did Malan look like?
5. Where did Jacques' mother live?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Malan feel about his wife?
2. Why does Jacques get in trouble when he goes home, and what was his punishment? How does his mother react to the punishment?
3. How did Lucie feel about the war her husband died in?
4. What was the journey like on the way to the new house?
5. Explain where Jacques' father was buried and why.
6. Why did Jacques feel indebted to Malan?
7. How does Jacques feel about Malan?
8. How does Malan respond to Jacques' acknowledgment of how he felt about him?
9. What memory of his father did Jacques receive from his grandmother?
10. How did Jacques and his mother greet each other? How did Lucie prepare for him?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)