|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What instrument did Jacques do best with?
(a) His voice.
(b) The cello.
(c) The flute.
(d) The violin.
2. How would Jacques learn more about his father?
(a) From his grandmother.
(b) He would have to research the man on his own.
(c) From his uncle.
(d) From his mother.
3. Why did Jacques go to visit his father?
(a) He wanted to tell his dad how he felt.
(b) He wanted to find out more about the man.
(c) He wanted to make peace with his father.
(d) His mother had asked him to.
4. Why was Lucie afraid?
(a) She was worried that she wouldn't have money to survive.
(b) Two bombs had exploded in her area that week.
(c) She didn't want to die.
(d) She had nightmares about her husband's death when she slept.
5. What did Lucie do with the letter announcing her husband's death?
(a) She tore it up.
(b) She read it then put it in the family album.
(c) She burned it.
(d) She put it in her pocket since she couldn't read.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Jacques' grandmother, what illness did Lucie have when she was young?
2. How did Henri react to the execution he witnessed?
3. How were the children in the theater kept in line?
4. Why was it difficult for Catherine to understand the films?
5. What did Malan think about marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jacques feel about Malan?
2. How did Henri show his love for Lucie?
3. Lucie lived in the same place where Jacques grew up. What was still the same about it, and what was different?
4. What memory of his father did Jacques receive from his grandmother?
5. What did Jacques lie to his grandmother about, and what did he learn from the experience?
6. How did Lucie feel about the war her husband died in?
7. Why does Jacques get in trouble when he goes home, and what was his punishment? How does his mother react to the punishment?
8. Describe what happened as dusk fell at the graveyard.
9. What were their first impressions of their new home and homeland?
10. What did Malan think about Jacques' idea to learn more about his father?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)