|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the husband respond when the doctor asked if he had other children?
(a) He said he had a four-year-old boy in Algiers with his mother-in-law.
(b) He said he had no other children.
(c) He started crying.
(d) He asked why the doctor needed to know.
2. Where did the traveler walk to when he left his hotel?
(a) The grocery store.
(b) The park.
(c) The cemetery.
(d) The movie theater.
3. Where would all the children gather?
(a) In the cellar.
(b) On the beach.
(c) In the field.
(d) At the fountain.
4. What was Victor Malan's job?
(c) Customs administration.
5. What did Jacques do after siesta when he was young?
(a) He went to work at the market.
(b) He would run outside to play with his friends.
(c) He did his chores.
(d) He did his schoolwork.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jacques tell Malan he's willing to give him?
2. What is one of Malan's faults according to Jacques?
3. How did Jacques feel about siestas?
4. Why did Jacques go to visit his father?
5. How old is Malan?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was soccer an issue in the household?
2. How did Henri show his love for Lucie?
3. How did the caretaker help Jacques?
4. What kind of games did Jacques and his friends play?
5. How does Jacques feel about Malan?
6. What were their first impressions of their new home and homeland?
7. What did Jacques realize about his father's age, and how did he react to this knowledge?
8. Why does Jacques get in trouble when he goes home, and what was his punishment? How does his mother react to the punishment?
9. How does Malan respond to Jacques' acknowledgment of how he felt about him?
10. Why did Jacques feel indebted to Malan?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)