|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did the traveler walk to when he left his hotel?
(a) The park.
(b) The grocery store.
(c) The cemetery.
(d) The movie theater.
2. Why didn't Jacques' grandmother want him to play soccer?
(a) She didn't like the children he was playing with.
(b) She thought he should be working.
(c) It ruined his boots.
(d) She thought he should be studying.
3. Where did Henri grow up?
(a) In an orphanage.
(b) In the city.
(c) On a plantation.
(d) On a small farm.
4. Why did Malan help Jacques at the beginning of their friendship?
(a) He felt like a father to Jacques.
(b) He pitied Jacques.
(c) He felt that Jacques was gifted.
(d) He felt like Jacques was his mirror image.
5. What did Malan look like?
(a) A troubadour.
(b) An Arab.
(c) The stereotypical Frenchman.
(d) A Chinese man.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Lucie and her husband travel on the last stage of their trip to their new home?
2. Where did the husband go to find a doctor?
3. How did Max gain his popularity?
4. Why did Malan ask for forgiveness?
5. What was the weather like as Lucie and her husband traveled to their new home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was soccer an issue in the household?
2. What were Jacques' friends like?
3. What did Jacques realize about his father's age, and how did he react to this knowledge?
4. Explain where Jacques' father was buried and why.
5. What memory of his father did Jacques receive from his grandmother?
6. Who did Jacques live with in Algiers? What was their neighborhood like?
7. What was the journey like on the way to the new house?
8. What did Jacques remember about going to the theater with the family?
9. Why did Jacques feel indebted to Malan?
10. What did the way Jacques demonstrate about his personality?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)