|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Malan help Jacques at the beginning of their friendship?
(a) He pitied Jacques.
(b) He felt like a father to Jacques.
(c) He felt like Jacques was his mirror image.
(d) He felt that Jacques was gifted.
2. Where did Henri grow up?
(a) On a plantation.
(b) In the city.
(c) On a small farm.
(d) In an orphanage.
3. How long had Malan and Jacques been friends?
(a) 5 years.
(b) 40 years.
(c) 20 years.
(d) 10 years.
4. Why was it difficult for Catherine to understand the films?
(a) She was distracted by the children around her.
(b) She couldn't hear.
(c) She was illiterate.
(d) The actor's vocabulary was too advanced for her.
5. What was the weather like as Lucie and her husband traveled to their new home?
(a) It was starting to snow.
(b) A tornado was chasing them.
(c) It was raining.
(d) It was a beautiful day.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the husband respond to the wife?
2. What message did he give Jacques?
3. What does Jacques think about Henri's early death?
4. How does Malan describe Jacques?
5. Where did the traveler walk to when he left his hotel?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Henri show his love for Lucie?
2. Why did Henri and Lucie leave Algiers?
3. What parenting experience did Henri and Lucie have?
4. Who did Jacques live with in Algiers? What was their neighborhood like?
5. What was making Lucie anxious when he visited her?
6. Explain where Jacques' father was buried and why.
7. Describe what happened as dusk fell at the graveyard.
8. Why was soccer an issue in the household?
9. Describe how Jacques felt about France, and how he felt about Algiers.
10. What kind of town did Victor Malan live in?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)