|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What year did Lucie say she was born?
(d) She didn't know when she was born.
2. What did Lucie think of the political situation when her husband went off to war?
(a) She understood why they needed to fight.
(b) She wanted to leave the country.
(c) She didn't know what was going on.
(d) She had been following the politically strategies closely and agreed that her husband he to go.
3. What message did he give Jacques?
(a) There is no relationship better than that between a father and son.
(b) Education is more important than anything on Earth.
(c) Stay away from marriage.
(d) We never really know people even when we think we know them.
4. Why was it difficult for Catherine to understand the films?
(a) She couldn't hear.
(b) The actor's vocabulary was too advanced for her.
(c) She was distracted by the children around her.
(d) She was illiterate.
5. Whose grave was the traveler looking for?
(a) Henri Cormery.
(b) Lucie Cormery.
(c) The Arab.
(d) Jacques Cormery.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Lucie do with the letter announcing her husband's death?
2. Who was the traveler?
3. What was the population like around their new home?
4. How would Jacques learn more about his father?
5. Why didn't Jacques' grandmother want him to play soccer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain where Jacques' father was buried and why.
2. What did Jacques remember about going to the theater with the family?
3. Lucie lived in the same place where Jacques grew up. What was still the same about it, and what was different?
4. How did the caretaker help Jacques?
5. Describe what happened as dusk fell at the graveyard.
6. What did Jacques lie to his grandmother about, and what did he learn from the experience?
7. What were their first impressions of their new home and homeland?
8. How does Jacques feel about Malan?
9. Why did Jacques feel indebted to Malan?
10. Why does Jacques get in trouble when he goes home, and what was his punishment? How does his mother react to the punishment?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)