|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was standing in the corridor of the Saint-Brieuc train 40 years after Henri and Lucie had their child?
(a) A priest.
(b) A soldier.
(c) A man.
(d) The Arab.
2. What was the husband's new job?
(a) He was manager at the Saint-Apotre property.
(b) He was the smithy at the Saint-Apotre property.
(c) He was the owner of the Saint-Apotre property.
(d) He was the veterinarian at the Saint-Apotre property.
3. Where did Henri grow up?
(a) On a plantation.
(b) On a small farm.
(c) In an orphanage.
(d) In the city.
4. How did the husband respond when the doctor asked if he had other children?
(a) He said he had a four-year-old boy in Algiers with his mother-in-law.
(b) He said he had no other children.
(c) He started crying.
(d) He asked why the doctor needed to know.
5. Why does Jacques say he's different around Malan?
(a) Malan commands respect.
(b) Malan has a way of making him feel smarter.
(c) Malan has a way of making him feel stupid.
(d) He loves Malan.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the house look like when the husband and doctor arrived?
2. What part of the cemetery did the traveler specifically go to?
3. What aura did the man emanate?
4. What did Jacques do after siesta when he was young?
5. How did the man surprise the chambermaid at the hotel?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Lucie react to the situation she was in?
2. Who did Jacques live with in Algiers? What was their neighborhood like?
3. Why did Henri and Lucie leave Algiers?
4. What did Malan think about Jacques' idea to learn more about his father?
5. What memory of his father did Jacques receive from his grandmother?
6. How does Jacques feel about Malan?
7. How did Malan feel about his wife?
8. How did Jacques feel about naps?
9. What were Jacques' friends like?
10. Explain where Jacques' father was buried and why.
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)