|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened after the fight between Ernest and Josephin?
(a) Josephin stopped eating at the house.
(b) Josephin had to go to the hospital.
(c) They both began to cry and made up.
(d) Ernest had to go to the hospital.
2. How did Jacques feel when he got into the school of higher education?
(a) He felt like he deserved it.
(b) He regretted his decision to try for it.
(c) Happy, but bereft as his teacher left.
(d) It made him somewhat sad.
3. How did Louis feel about getting a hen from the yard?
(a) He was afraid of the hens.
(b) He refused to do it.
(c) He dreaded it.
(d) He thought it was fun to chase the hens.
4. Who was the common enemy in the neighborhood?
(a) The dogcatcher.
(b) The school teacher.
(c) The gang from the next neighborhood.
(d) The police.
5. What world did Jacques become most part of?
(a) The world of his neighborhood.
(b) The world of the water
(c) The world of the lycee.
(d) The world of work.
6. What did Pierre and Jacques treat themselves with when they had extra money?
(a) A new book.
(b) A newspaper.
(c) A plain fritter.
(d) Nothing. They saved all the money they could get.
7. What set Jacques apart from his schoolmates?
(a) His sense of humor.
(b) His poverty.
(c) His family traditions and values.
(d) His brilliance.
8. What pastime did Ernest thoroughly enjoy?
(c) Walking around the city.
(d) Riding subways.
9. What was Josephin's relationship to Ernest?
(a) Ernest was Josephin's father.
(b) They were best friends.
(c) They were brothers.
(d) They were enemies.
10. What did Jacques and Pierre take to get to school?
(a) A taxi.
(c) A train.
(d) A trolley.
11. What did Jacques learn about his father from Veillard?
(a) Nothing. The man knew nothing about the Henri.
(b) He learned that his father was a strictly religious man.
(c) He learned that his father was a hard worker.
(d) He learned that his father had a great sense of humor.
12. What did Jacques ask Veillard about?
(d) His father.
13. What did Jacques help Michel with?
(a) The horses.
(b) The shopping.
(c) Moving furniture.
14. How did Jacques define his religious preferences?
(a) He was an atheist.
(b) He was a non-practicing Catholic.
(c) He was a strict Catholic.
(d) He was an agnostic.
15. What did Jacques have to write down to describe his mother's work?
(c) Postal employee.
(d) Stay-at-home mom.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Pierre and Jacques pass on the way to school?
2. Who tried to protect the chickens from thieves?
3. How did Jacques feel about the light?
4. What could Jacques identify by smell?
5. What had changed since Henri and Lucie lived there?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)