|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Jacques learn about his father from Veillard?
(a) Nothing. The man knew nothing about the Henri.
(b) He learned that his father was a strictly religious man.
(c) He learned that his father had a great sense of humor.
(d) He learned that his father was a hard worker.
2. How did Tamzal feel about war?
(a) He thought is was something everyone should engage in.
(b) He thought war was a strange beast.
(c) He felt it was more normal than peace.
(d) He abhorred it.
3. How did Louis feel about getting a hen from the yard?
(a) He thought it was fun to chase the hens.
(b) He dreaded it.
(c) He was afraid of the hens.
(d) He refused to do it.
4. Where did Pierre and Jacques spend some of their free time?
(a) Studying in the cellar.
(b) They rode the trolley around town.
(c) At the soldier's home.
(d) At the lycee, talking with tutors.
5. Who was the common enemy in the neighborhood?
(a) The gang from the next neighborhood.
(b) The police.
(c) The school teacher.
(d) The dogcatcher.
6. What did the uncle and grandmother say Jacques had?
7. What was Josephin's relationship to Ernest?
(a) They were brothers.
(b) Ernest was Josephin's father.
(c) They were enemies.
(d) They were best friends.
8. Where did Veillard's ancestors come from?
9. What gift did the teacher give the older Jacques?
(a) A handkerchief.
(b) Some money.
(c) The ruler he used to smack the children with.
(d) The book he had read in class.
10. What happened after the fight between Ernest and Josephin?
(a) Ernest had to go to the hospital.
(b) Josephin stopped eating at the house.
(c) Josephin had to go to the hospital.
(d) They both began to cry and made up.
11. What was the journey like for the original settlers?
(a) Smooth. The people in the new country helped them.
(b) Scary as they faced the unknown.
(c) Happy as they looked toward their new adventures.
(d) Very tough and unsanitary.
12. Who was the old man with the canary that Jacques went to visit?
(a) His former teacher.
(b) His old boss.
(c) His uncle.
(d) His best friend from childhood.
13. Why was Jacques one of the teacher's pets?
(a) He considered all the boys with fathers who died in the war his pets.
(b) Because of his good grades.
(c) Because he never got into trouble.
(d) Because the teacher loved Jacques' mother.
14. What disability did Ernest have?
(a) He was completely deaf.
(b) He had heart problems.
(c) He was missing an arm.
(d) He was blind.
15. What did Jacques feel about summer camp?
(a) He hoped to work at the camp someday.
(b) He couldn't wait to go.
(c) He thought it more of a punishment than a privilege.
(d) It was his escape from his poverty.
Short Answer Questions
1. What pastime did Ernest thoroughly enjoy?
2. What did Jacques pass on his way to Mondavi?
3. What did Jacques ask Veillard about?
4. What did the grandmother think of Lucie's haircut?
5. What did Jacques consider his country?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)