|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Veillard's ancestors come from?
2. Who else understands their instinctive bond to the area?
(a) Nobody else.
(b) The missionaries.
(c) The French.
(d) The Arabs.
3. How did Tamzal feel about war?
(a) He thought is was something everyone should engage in.
(b) He abhorred it.
(c) He felt it was more normal than peace.
(d) He thought war was a strange beast.
4. What type of book mostly appealed to Jacques?
(a) Cloak and dagger novels.
(c) Science fiction.
5. What did Jacques ask Veillard about?
(d) His father.
6. What did Jacques have to write down to describe his mother's work?
(b) Postal employee.
(c) Stay-at-home mom.
7. How did Jacques feel when he got into the school of higher education?
(a) He felt like he deserved it.
(b) Happy, but bereft as his teacher left.
(c) It made him somewhat sad.
(d) He regretted his decision to try for it.
8. What book did the teacher read to the students?
(a) A book about World War I.
(b) The Holy Bible.
(c) A book on etiquette.
(d) McGuffey's Reader.
9. Who did Jacques walk to school with?
(a) His grandmother.
(b) His neighbor.
(c) His mother.
(d) His teacher.
10. What did Pierre and Jacques treat themselves with when they had extra money?
(a) Nothing. They saved all the money they could get.
(b) A new book.
(c) A plain fritter.
(d) A newspaper.
11. What happened to Jacques at the cooperage?
(a) His finger was crushed.
(b) He fell into the fire.
(c) He was offered a full-time job.
(d) He was robbed.
12. How did the grandmother kill the hen?
(a) She thew it in a pot of boiling water.
(b) She hit it on the head with a pan.
(c) She strangled it.
(d) With a sharp knife.
13. What did Jacques dread each day when he went home from the lycee?
(a) His grandmother's beatings.
(b) The silence in the house.
(c) Death and the unknown.
14. What did the farmer do?
(a) He went out to care for his vines.
(b) He offered his wine to the guerillas.
(c) He rescued his animals.
(d) He dug up his vine and empties his vats.
15. How was the outside in comparison to the hallway?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Josephin's relationship to Ernest?
2. How did the grandmother embarrass Jacques during the awards ceremony?
3. What were people drawn to in Ernest, including Jacques' grandmother?
4. What happened after the fight between Ernest and Josephin?
5. When did Jacques have time to do what he wanted?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)