|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What made the mother and grandmother proud?
(a) They had a strong background.
(b) They had the nicest clothes.
(c) They met some very important people and got along with them.
(d) Jacques won an award.
2. How did Louis feel about getting a hen from the yard?
(a) He thought it was fun to chase the hens.
(b) He dreaded it.
(c) He refused to do it.
(d) He was afraid of the hens.
3. What was the political situation like?
(a) It was a time of unrest, and it wasn't safe to live there.
(b) Things were about to blow apart into warfare.
(c) It was a time of peace.
(d) There were negotiations for peace.
4. How did feel about getting a hen from the yard?
(a) He dreaded it.
(b) He refused to do it.
(c) He was afraid of the hens.
(d) He thought it was fun to chase the hens.
5. What did Jacques have to give up to be friends with Georges?
(a) Eating meat.
(b) His love of reading.
(c) Saying dirty words.
(d) His sandwich at lunchtime.
6. Why was Jacques one of the teacher's pets?
(a) Because the teacher loved Jacques' mother.
(b) He considered all the boys with fathers who died in the war his pets.
(c) Because he never got into trouble.
(d) Because of his good grades.
7. Who was the old man with the canary that Jacques went to visit?
(a) His uncle.
(b) His best friend from childhood.
(c) His old boss.
(d) His former teacher.
8. What disability did Ernest have?
(a) He had heart problems.
(b) He was completely deaf.
(c) He was missing an arm.
(d) He was blind.
9. What did Jacques have to write down to describe his mother's work?
(a) Stay-at-home mom.
(d) Postal employee.
10. What was Josephin's relationship to Ernest?
(a) They were brothers.
(b) They were best friends.
(c) They were enemies.
(d) Ernest was Josephin's father.
11. How did Jacques define his religious preferences?
(a) He was a non-practicing Catholic.
(b) He was an atheist.
(c) He was an agnostic.
(d) He was a strict Catholic.
12. What did Jacques ask Veillard about?
(c) His father.
13. Who tried to protect the chickens from thieves?
(a) The barber.
(b) The Arab next door.
(d) The grandmother.
14. How did Jacques feel about making money for his family?
(a) He felt it was his obligation.
(b) He resented the fact that he had to do it.
(c) He was happy to do it.
(d) He took great pride in it.
15. What did Pierre and Jacques pass on the way to school?
(a) A series of shops.
(b) The girls' school.
(c) The beach.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Tamzal feel about war?
2. What did Jacques help Michel with?
3. What did Jacques consider his country?
4. Where did Pierre and Jacques spend some of their free time?
5. Where did Josephin work?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)