|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Jacques have to write down to describe his mother's work?
(b) Postal employee.
(d) Stay-at-home mom.
2. What world did Jacques become most part of?
(a) The world of work.
(b) The world of the water
(c) The world of his neighborhood.
(d) The world of the lycee.
3. What book did the teacher read to the students?
(a) McGuffey's Reader.
(b) A book on etiquette.
(c) A book about World War I.
(d) The Holy Bible.
4. What was the political situation like?
(a) There were negotiations for peace.
(b) Things were about to blow apart into warfare.
(c) It was a time of unrest, and it wasn't safe to live there.
(d) It was a time of peace.
5. Who was around to tell Pierre and Jacques what to expect from the lycee?
(a) M. Bernard.
(b) The grandmother.
(c) Jacques' mother.
(d) No one.
6. What could Jacques identify by smell?
(b) The weather.
(d) The different rooms in the school.
7. What had changed since Henri and Lucie lived there?
(b) The house was bigger.
(c) Everything was even more dilapidated.
(d) Everything. All the original buildings were gone.
8. What pastime did Ernest thoroughly enjoy?
(a) Riding subways.
(d) Walking around the city.
9. What did Jacques like in his library books?
(a) Poetry books.
(b) Lots of content with small margins and lots of words.
(c) Books with lots of quotes.
(d) Books with many images.
10. How did the grandmother embarrass Jacques during the awards ceremony?
(a) She talked to the people next to her.
(b) She was dressed wrong.
(c) She was obviously illiterate.
(d) She kept crying.
11. What was Josephin's relationship to Ernest?
(a) They were enemies.
(b) They were brothers.
(c) Ernest was Josephin's father.
(d) They were best friends.
12. What did the uncle and grandmother say Jacques had?
13. When did Jacques have time to do what he wanted?
(c) Thursday and Sunday afternoons.
(d) Saturdays and Sundays.
14. What did Jacques have to give up to be friends with Georges?
(a) His love of reading.
(b) Eating meat.
(c) Saying dirty words.
(d) His sandwich at lunchtime.
15. Where did Veillard's ancestors come from?
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Jacques at the cooperage?
2. What element of nature did Jacques truly appreciate?
3. What separated the two worlds in Jacques?
4. What did Jacques pass on his way to Mondavi?
5. Who did Jacques walk to school with?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)