|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What gift did the teacher give the older Jacques?
(a) The book he had read in class.
(b) The ruler he used to smack the children with.
(c) Some money.
(d) A handkerchief.
2. What happened when Jacques told his mother and grandmother that he had a chance at getting a higher education?
(a) They hugged him.
(b) They laughed at him.
(c) They took him out to dinner.
(d) They said he had to work.
3. What type of book mostly appealed to Jacques?
(a) Cloak and dagger novels.
(d) Science fiction.
4. Who tried to protect the chickens from thieves?
(a) The grandmother.
(b) The barber.
(d) The Arab next door.
5. What element of nature did Jacques truly appreciate?
(a) The rain.
(b) The snow.
(c) The wind.
(d) The sun.
6. Where did Pierre and Jacques spend some of their free time?
(a) They rode the trolley around town.
(b) Studying in the cellar.
(c) At the soldier's home.
(d) At the lycee, talking with tutors.
7. Why was Jacques one of the teacher's pets?
(a) Because he never got into trouble.
(b) He considered all the boys with fathers who died in the war his pets.
(c) Because of his good grades.
(d) Because the teacher loved Jacques' mother.
8. How did feel about getting a hen from the yard?
(a) He refused to do it.
(b) He dreaded it.
(c) He thought it was fun to chase the hens.
(d) He was afraid of the hens.
9. What did Jacques dread each day when he went home from the lycee?
(a) His grandmother's beatings.
(b) Death and the unknown.
(d) The silence in the house.
10. What did Pierre and Jacques pass on the way to school?
(a) The girls' school.
(b) A series of shops.
(d) The beach.
11. How did Jacques define his religious preferences?
(a) He was an agnostic.
(b) He was a strict Catholic.
(c) He was an atheist.
(d) He was a non-practicing Catholic.
12. What could Jacques identify by smell?
(a) The weather.
(c) The different rooms in the school.
13. Where did Josephin work?
(a) He worked in the market.
(b) He worked for the railroad.
(c) He worked at the bank.
(d) He worked at the beach.
14. Who was the common enemy in the neighborhood?
(a) The dogcatcher.
(b) The police.
(c) The gang from the next neighborhood.
(d) The school teacher.
15. What separated the two worlds in Jacques?
(b) The cultures.
(c) The Mediterranean.
(d) Transportation limitations.
Short Answer Questions
1. What pastime did Ernest thoroughly enjoy?
2. Who else understands their instinctive bond to the area?
3. Why did the Cormerys show up early for the awards ceremony?
4. How did the grandmother kill the hen?
5. What kind of lighting did they have in the house?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)