|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the farmer do?
(a) He offered his wine to the guerillas.
(b) He went out to care for his vines.
(c) He dug up his vine and empties his vats.
(d) He rescued his animals.
2. How did Jacques feel when he got the hen?
(c) He was sick with disgust and fear.
3. What happened after the fight between Ernest and Josephin?
(a) Josephin stopped eating at the house.
(b) They both began to cry and made up.
(c) Josephin had to go to the hospital.
(d) Ernest had to go to the hospital.
4. What did people think about Ernest?
(a) He was mean.
(b) He was a recluse.
(c) He was stupid.
(d) He was good-natured and generous.
5. What did Jacques dread each day when he went home from the lycee?
(a) The silence in the house.
(b) Death and the unknown.
(c) His grandmother's beatings.
6. How did the grandmother embarrass Jacques during the awards ceremony?
(a) She kept crying.
(b) She talked to the people next to her.
(c) She was obviously illiterate.
(d) She was dressed wrong.
7. How was the outside in comparison to the hallway?
8. What was Josephin's relationship to Ernest?
(a) They were enemies.
(b) They were brothers.
(c) They were best friends.
(d) Ernest was Josephin's father.
9. What type of relationship did students have with teachers at the lycee?
(a) They students silently resented the teachers.
(b) The teachers were aloof and had no respect for the students.
(c) They weren't close, but there was respect.
(d) They almost had a parent/child relationship.
10. What religious education did Jacques have to go through?
(a) Classes for his first communion.
(b) Classes for his baptism.
(c) Classes for Arabic.
(d) Sunday school.
11. What did Pierre and Jacques pass on the way to school?
(b) The beach.
(c) The girls' school.
(d) A series of shops.
12. What did Jacques feel about summer camp?
(a) He couldn't wait to go.
(b) It was his escape from his poverty.
(c) He thought it more of a punishment than a privilege.
(d) He hoped to work at the camp someday.
13. What disability did Ernest have?
(a) He was completely deaf.
(b) He was blind.
(c) He was missing an arm.
(d) He had heart problems.
14. Who else understands their instinctive bond to the area?
(a) The French.
(b) Nobody else.
(c) The Arabs.
(d) The missionaries.
15. What did Jacques about male friendship when he was out with his uncle?
(a) You always have to guard your back.
(b) It is good for the soul.
(c) It's non-existent.
(d) There always should be some females mixed in.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was around to tell Pierre and Jacques what to expect from the lycee?
2. What did Jacques and Pierre take to get to school?
3. Where did Pierre and Jacques spend some of their free time?
4. What happened when Jacques told his mother and grandmother that he had a chance at getting a higher education?
5. What did Jacques learn about his father from Veillard?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)