|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What would Jacques tell his family about the lycee during dinner?
(a) His homework
(c) Anecdotes highlighting other students.
(d) His most interesting teacher of the day.
2. What could Jacques identify by smell?
(b) The different rooms in the school.
(d) The weather.
3. What did Jacques have to write down to describe his mother's work?
(c) Postal employee.
(d) Stay-at-home mom.
4. How did the grandmother kill the hen?
(a) She thew it in a pot of boiling water.
(b) She strangled it.
(c) She hit it on the head with a pan.
(d) With a sharp knife.
5. What did Jacques help Michel with?
(a) Moving furniture.
(b) The shopping.
(d) The horses.
6. What happened to Jacques at the cooperage?
(a) He was robbed.
(b) He was offered a full-time job.
(c) His finger was crushed.
(d) He fell into the fire.
7. What set Jacques apart from his schoolmates?
(a) His family traditions and values.
(b) His brilliance.
(c) His sense of humor.
(d) His poverty.
8. Why was M. Bernard's class so interesting for the children?
(a) He truly had a passion for his work.
(b) They got to decide what they wanted to learn.
(c) They never knew what he was going to do next.
(d) They got to do great experiments.
9. What did Jacques learn about his father from Veillard?
(a) Nothing. The man knew nothing about the Henri.
(b) He learned that his father was a strictly religious man.
(c) He learned that his father was a hard worker.
(d) He learned that his father had a great sense of humor.
10. Who was the common enemy in the neighborhood?
(a) The school teacher.
(b) The police.
(c) The gang from the next neighborhood.
(d) The dogcatcher.
11. What was the political situation like?
(a) It was a time of unrest, and it wasn't safe to live there.
(b) Things were about to blow apart into warfare.
(c) It was a time of peace.
(d) There were negotiations for peace.
12. What did Jacques dread each day when he went home from the lycee?
(a) Death and the unknown.
(b) His grandmother's beatings.
(d) The silence in the house.
13. What religious education did Jacques have to go through?
(a) Classes for Arabic.
(b) Sunday school.
(c) Classes for his baptism.
(d) Classes for his first communion.
14. Who was the old man with the canary that Jacques went to visit?
(a) His uncle.
(b) His former teacher.
(c) His best friend from childhood.
(d) His old boss.
15. What type of book mostly appealed to Jacques?
(b) Cloak and dagger novels.
(d) Science fiction.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Josephin work?
2. Who tried to protect the chickens from thieves?
3. What kind of lighting did they have in the house?
4. How did Jacques define his religious preferences?
5. What made the mother and grandmother proud?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)