|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the relationship like between Ernest and Jacques?
(a) Ernest tolerated the boy.
(b) They were polite to each other, but didn't get close.
(c) They were close.
(d) Ernest thought Jacques was a burden.
2. How did Jacques define his religious preferences?
(a) He was an atheist.
(b) He was an agnostic.
(c) He was a strict Catholic.
(d) He was a non-practicing Catholic.
3. What did the grandmother think of Lucie's haircut?
(a) She loved it, but thought it was too modern for her taste.
(b) She didn't like it but accepted it.
(c) She wanted to get her own hair cut like that, too.
(d) She told Lucie she looked like a whore.
4. What did Jacques consider his country?
5. What did Jacques see in his half-dream state?
(a) His father.
(b) His grandmother.
(c) The guerillas.
(d) His teacher.
6. What was Josephin's relationship to Ernest?
(a) Ernest was Josephin's father.
(b) They were enemies.
(c) They were best friends.
(d) They were brothers.
7. How did the grandmother kill the hen?
(a) She hit it on the head with a pan.
(b) She strangled it.
(c) With a sharp knife.
(d) She thew it in a pot of boiling water.
8. What did Jacques pass on his way to Mondavi?
(a) Jeeps with guns.
(b) Beautiful landscapes.
(c) A large church.
(d) His father's grave.
9. What set Jacques apart from his schoolmates?
(a) His brilliance.
(b) His poverty.
(c) His family traditions and values.
(d) His sense of humor.
10. How did Jacques feel when he got the hen?
(b) He was sick with disgust and fear.
11. What disability did Ernest have?
(a) He was missing an arm.
(b) He was completely deaf.
(c) He was blind.
(d) He had heart problems.
12. What would Jacques tell his family about the lycee during dinner?
(a) His most interesting teacher of the day.
(c) His homework
(d) Anecdotes highlighting other students.
13. Why did the Cormerys show up early for the awards ceremony?
(a) They wanted to grab the best seats.
(b) They had the wrong time.
(c) They weren't used to social occasions.
(d) They wanted to talk with Jacques' teachers.
14. How did Jacques feel when he got into the school of higher education?
(a) He regretted his decision to try for it.
(b) He felt like he deserved it.
(c) It made him somewhat sad.
(d) Happy, but bereft as his teacher left.
15. Who was the common enemy in the neighborhood?
(a) The gang from the next neighborhood.
(b) The dogcatcher.
(c) The police.
(d) The school teacher.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Jacques' punishment for the fight he was in?
2. What element of nature did Jacques truly appreciate?
3. What world did Jacques become most part of?
4. Who was around to tell Pierre and Jacques what to expect from the lycee?
5. How was the outside in comparison to the hallway?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)