|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Pierre and Jacques treat themselves with when they had extra money?
(a) A new book.
(b) A plain fritter.
(c) Nothing. They saved all the money they could get.
(d) A newspaper.
2. How did Tamzal feel about war?
(a) He abhorred it.
(b) He thought war was a strange beast.
(c) He thought is was something everyone should engage in.
(d) He felt it was more normal than peace.
3. Why was M. Bernard's class so interesting for the children?
(a) They got to decide what they wanted to learn.
(b) They got to do great experiments.
(c) They never knew what he was going to do next.
(d) He truly had a passion for his work.
4. What did Jacques have to write down to describe his mother's work?
(a) Postal employee.
(d) Stay-at-home mom.
5. What world did Jacques become most part of?
(a) The world of the lycee.
(b) The world of the water
(c) The world of his neighborhood.
(d) The world of work.
6. What did Jacques and Pierre take to get to school?
(a) A train.
(b) A trolley.
(d) A taxi.
7. What religious education did Jacques have to go through?
(a) Sunday school.
(b) Classes for Arabic.
(c) Classes for his baptism.
(d) Classes for his first communion.
8. Where did Pierre and Jacques spend some of their free time?
(a) At the soldier's home.
(b) They rode the trolley around town.
(c) At the lycee, talking with tutors.
(d) Studying in the cellar.
9. What happened after the fight between Ernest and Josephin?
(a) Ernest had to go to the hospital.
(b) Josephin had to go to the hospital.
(c) They both began to cry and made up.
(d) Josephin stopped eating at the house.
10. What did Jacques ask Veillard about?
(b) His father.
11. Who was around to tell Pierre and Jacques what to expect from the lycee?
(a) Jacques' mother.
(b) The grandmother.
(c) No one.
(d) M. Bernard.
12. How was the outside in comparison to the hallway?
13. Who did Jacques walk to school with?
(a) His teacher.
(b) His grandmother.
(c) His mother.
(d) His neighbor.
14. What were people drawn to in Ernest, including Jacques' grandmother?
(a) His infectious humor that never left.
(b) His beauty.
(c) His patience.
(d) His ability to debate.
15. What did Jacques consider his country?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the journey like for the original settlers?
2. What would Jacques tell his family about the lycee during dinner?
3. What did the Cormerys do on vacation?
4. What did the hens start to do when Jacques came near?
5. What type of relationship did students have with teachers at the lycee?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)