|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of relationship did students have with teachers at the lycee?
(a) They students silently resented the teachers.
(b) They weren't close, but there was respect.
(c) They almost had a parent/child relationship.
(d) The teachers were aloof and had no respect for the students.
2. What separated the two worlds in Jacques?
(b) The Mediterranean.
(c) Transportation limitations.
(d) The cultures.
3. What book did the teacher read to the students?
(a) The Holy Bible.
(b) A book on etiquette.
(c) McGuffey's Reader.
(d) A book about World War I.
4. What happened to Jacques at the cooperage?
(a) He was offered a full-time job.
(b) His finger was crushed.
(c) He fell into the fire.
(d) He was robbed.
5. What religious education did Jacques have to go through?
(a) Classes for Arabic.
(b) Sunday school.
(c) Classes for his baptism.
(d) Classes for his first communion.
6. What set Jacques apart from his schoolmates?
(a) His brilliance.
(b) His family traditions and values.
(c) His sense of humor.
(d) His poverty.
7. What happened when Jacques told his mother and grandmother that he had a chance at getting a higher education?
(a) They said he had to work.
(b) They hugged him.
(c) They took him out to dinner.
(d) They laughed at him.
8. Who was the old man with the canary that Jacques went to visit?
(a) His uncle.
(b) His old boss.
(c) His best friend from childhood.
(d) His former teacher.
9. What was the political situation like?
(a) It was a time of peace.
(b) It was a time of unrest, and it wasn't safe to live there.
(c) Things were about to blow apart into warfare.
(d) There were negotiations for peace.
10. What kind of lighting did they have in the house?
(a) They had no light sources.
(b) They used a generator for electricity.
(c) They tapped into the city's electricity.
(d) The grandmother would light a lamp.
11. How did feel about getting a hen from the yard?
(a) He dreaded it.
(b) He was afraid of the hens.
(c) He refused to do it.
(d) He thought it was fun to chase the hens.
12. How did Louis feel about getting a hen from the yard?
(a) He was afraid of the hens.
(b) He thought it was fun to chase the hens.
(c) He dreaded it.
(d) He refused to do it.
13. What did Jacques pass on his way to Mondavi?
(a) A large church.
(b) Jeeps with guns.
(c) Beautiful landscapes.
(d) His father's grave.
14. How did Jacques feel about the light?
(a) He felt it disguised the true darkness around him.
(b) It glared harshly on their poverty.
(c) It made his heart grow lighter.
(d) It was a waste of money.
15. Why did the Cormerys show up early for the awards ceremony?
(a) They weren't used to social occasions.
(b) They had the wrong time.
(c) They wanted to talk with Jacques' teachers.
(d) They wanted to grab the best seats.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the grandmother think of Lucie's haircut?
2. When did Jacques have time to do what he wanted?
3. Who was around to tell Pierre and Jacques what to expect from the lycee?
4. What world did Jacques become most part of?
5. What did Jacques about male friendship when he was out with his uncle?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)