|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What set Jacques apart from his schoolmates?
(a) His brilliance.
(b) His sense of humor.
(c) His poverty.
(d) His family traditions and values.
2. How did Jacques feel about the light?
(a) It was a waste of money.
(b) It made his heart grow lighter.
(c) It glared harshly on their poverty.
(d) He felt it disguised the true darkness around him.
3. Who was around to tell Pierre and Jacques what to expect from the lycee?
(a) No one.
(b) M. Bernard.
(c) The grandmother.
(d) Jacques' mother.
4. How did Jacques feel about making money for his family?
(a) He took great pride in it.
(b) He resented the fact that he had to do it.
(c) He was happy to do it.
(d) He felt it was his obligation.
5. What element of nature did Jacques truly appreciate?
(a) The rain.
(b) The snow.
(c) The sun.
(d) The wind.
6. What did Jacques help Michel with?
(a) The shopping.
(b) The horses.
(c) Moving furniture.
7. What did the hens start to do when Jacques came near?
(a) Run away.
(c) Nothing. They were used to him.
(d) Come toward him for food.
8. What did Jacques consider his country?
9. What had changed since Henri and Lucie lived there?
(a) Everything. All the original buildings were gone.
(b) The house was bigger.
(c) Everything was even more dilapidated.
10. What did Jacques feel about summer camp?
(a) He couldn't wait to go.
(b) He hoped to work at the camp someday.
(c) It was his escape from his poverty.
(d) He thought it more of a punishment than a privilege.
11. What kind of lighting did they have in the house?
(a) The grandmother would light a lamp.
(b) They tapped into the city's electricity.
(c) They used a generator for electricity.
(d) They had no light sources.
12. Where did Pierre and Jacques spend some of their free time?
(a) At the lycee, talking with tutors.
(b) At the soldier's home.
(c) They rode the trolley around town.
(d) Studying in the cellar.
13. What did Jacques see in his half-dream state?
(a) The guerillas.
(b) His father.
(c) His teacher.
(d) His grandmother.
14. Why did the Cormerys show up early for the awards ceremony?
(a) They had the wrong time.
(b) They weren't used to social occasions.
(c) They wanted to grab the best seats.
(d) They wanted to talk with Jacques' teachers.
15. What separated the two worlds in Jacques?
(a) The Mediterranean.
(b) The cultures.
(d) Transportation limitations.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the common enemy in the neighborhood?
2. What happened to Jacques at the cooperage?
3. What did Jacques about male friendship when he was out with his uncle?
4. What made the mother and grandmother proud?
5. Who else understands their instinctive bond to the area?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)