|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Jacques feel when he got the hen?
(a) He was sick with disgust and fear.
2. Who did Jacques walk to school with?
(a) His mother.
(b) His teacher.
(c) His neighbor.
(d) His grandmother.
3. Why was M. Bernard's class so interesting for the children?
(a) They got to do great experiments.
(b) He truly had a passion for his work.
(c) They got to decide what they wanted to learn.
(d) They never knew what he was going to do next.
4. How did Tamzal feel about war?
(a) He thought war was a strange beast.
(b) He felt it was more normal than peace.
(c) He thought is was something everyone should engage in.
(d) He abhorred it.
5. What did the Cormerys do on vacation?
(a) They didn't get vacations.
(b) They worked on their house.
(c) They went to the mountains.
(d) They took trips to the beach.
6. What did Jacques see in his half-dream state?
(a) His father.
(b) The guerillas.
(c) His grandmother.
(d) His teacher.
7. What happened when Jacques told his mother and grandmother that he had a chance at getting a higher education?
(a) They said he had to work.
(b) They hugged him.
(c) They took him out to dinner.
(d) They laughed at him.
8. Why did the Cormerys show up early for the awards ceremony?
(a) They wanted to grab the best seats.
(b) They weren't used to social occasions.
(c) They had the wrong time.
(d) They wanted to talk with Jacques' teachers.
9. What did Jacques have to give up to be friends with Georges?
(a) His sandwich at lunchtime.
(b) Saying dirty words.
(c) Eating meat.
(d) His love of reading.
10. What was the relationship like between Ernest and Jacques?
(a) Ernest tolerated the boy.
(b) They were polite to each other, but didn't get close.
(c) They were close.
(d) Ernest thought Jacques was a burden.
11. What did the grandmother think of Lucie's haircut?
(a) She wanted to get her own hair cut like that, too.
(b) She loved it, but thought it was too modern for her taste.
(c) She didn't like it but accepted it.
(d) She told Lucie she looked like a whore.
12. What disability did Ernest have?
(a) He was blind.
(b) He was missing an arm.
(c) He was completely deaf.
(d) He had heart problems.
13. What did the farmer do?
(a) He went out to care for his vines.
(b) He offered his wine to the guerillas.
(c) He rescued his animals.
(d) He dug up his vine and empties his vats.
14. What would Jacques tell his family about the lycee during dinner?
(b) His most interesting teacher of the day.
(c) Anecdotes highlighting other students.
(d) His homework
15. What did Jacques about male friendship when he was out with his uncle?
(a) There always should be some females mixed in.
(b) You always have to guard your back.
(c) It's non-existent.
(d) It is good for the soul.
Short Answer Questions
1. What could Jacques identify by smell?
2. What type of relationship did students have with teachers at the lycee?
3. What was the journey like for the original settlers?
4. How did Jacques define his religious preferences?
5. Who else understands their instinctive bond to the area?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)