|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What element of nature did Jacques truly appreciate?
(a) The sun.
(b) The snow.
(c) The rain.
(d) The wind.
2. What disability did Ernest have?
(a) He had heart problems.
(b) He was missing an arm.
(c) He was completely deaf.
(d) He was blind.
3. What happened when Jacques told his mother and grandmother that he had a chance at getting a higher education?
(a) They said he had to work.
(b) They hugged him.
(c) They laughed at him.
(d) They took him out to dinner.
4. How did Jacques define his religious preferences?
(a) He was a strict Catholic.
(b) He was an atheist.
(c) He was a non-practicing Catholic.
(d) He was an agnostic.
5. Who was the common enemy in the neighborhood?
(a) The dogcatcher.
(b) The gang from the next neighborhood.
(c) The police.
(d) The school teacher.
6. How did Jacques feel about the light?
(a) It was a waste of money.
(b) He felt it disguised the true darkness around him.
(c) It glared harshly on their poverty.
(d) It made his heart grow lighter.
7. What did Jacques pass on his way to Mondavi?
(a) Jeeps with guns.
(b) A large church.
(c) Beautiful landscapes.
(d) His father's grave.
8. How did Jacques feel when he got the hen?
(b) He was sick with disgust and fear.
9. How did the grandmother kill the hen?
(a) She thew it in a pot of boiling water.
(b) She strangled it.
(c) With a sharp knife.
(d) She hit it on the head with a pan.
10. Where did Josephin work?
(a) He worked for the railroad.
(b) He worked at the bank.
(c) He worked in the market.
(d) He worked at the beach.
11. What made the mother and grandmother proud?
(a) Jacques won an award.
(b) They met some very important people and got along with them.
(c) They had a strong background.
(d) They had the nicest clothes.
12. Where did Veillard's ancestors come from?
13. What kind of lighting did they have in the house?
(a) The grandmother would light a lamp.
(b) They had no light sources.
(c) They tapped into the city's electricity.
(d) They used a generator for electricity.
14. What separated the two worlds in Jacques?
(a) Transportation limitations.
(b) The cultures.
(d) The Mediterranean.
15. What happened after the fight between Ernest and Josephin?
(a) They both began to cry and made up.
(b) Ernest had to go to the hospital.
(c) Josephin had to go to the hospital.
(d) Josephin stopped eating at the house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the hens start to do when Jacques came near?
2. How did Louis feel about getting a hen from the yard?
3. What gift did the teacher give the older Jacques?
4. What did Jacques have to give up to be friends with Georges?
5. What did Jacques see in his half-dream state?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)