|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who else understands their instinctive bond to the area?
(a) The Arabs.
(b) Nobody else.
(c) The missionaries.
(d) The French.
2. What did Jacques have to write down to describe his mother's work?
(a) Postal employee.
(c) Stay-at-home mom.
3. Who was around to tell Pierre and Jacques what to expect from the lycee?
(a) M. Bernard.
(b) No one.
(c) Jacques' mother.
(d) The grandmother.
4. What was Josephin's relationship to Ernest?
(a) They were best friends.
(b) They were brothers.
(c) They were enemies.
(d) Ernest was Josephin's father.
5. When did Jacques have time to do what he wanted?
(a) Saturdays and Sundays.
(b) Thursday and Sunday afternoons.
6. What book did the teacher read to the students?
(a) A book about World War I.
(b) McGuffey's Reader.
(c) The Holy Bible.
(d) A book on etiquette.
7. What pastime did Ernest thoroughly enjoy?
(c) Riding subways.
(d) Walking around the city.
8. What kind of lighting did they have in the house?
(a) The grandmother would light a lamp.
(b) They had no light sources.
(c) They used a generator for electricity.
(d) They tapped into the city's electricity.
9. How did the grandmother embarrass Jacques during the awards ceremony?
(a) She kept crying.
(b) She was obviously illiterate.
(c) She talked to the people next to her.
(d) She was dressed wrong.
10. What were people drawn to in Ernest, including Jacques' grandmother?
(a) His beauty.
(b) His infectious humor that never left.
(c) His patience.
(d) His ability to debate.
11. What did the Cormerys do on vacation?
(a) They worked on their house.
(b) They took trips to the beach.
(c) They went to the mountains.
(d) They didn't get vacations.
12. What did the uncle and grandmother say Jacques had?
13. What happened to Jacques at the cooperage?
(a) He fell into the fire.
(b) His finger was crushed.
(c) He was robbed.
(d) He was offered a full-time job.
14. What did Jacques ask Veillard about?
(a) His father.
15. What did Pierre and Jacques treat themselves with when they had extra money?
(a) A plain fritter.
(b) A new book.
(c) A newspaper.
(d) Nothing. They saved all the money they could get.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Jacques dread each day when he went home from the lycee?
2. What did Pierre and Jacques pass on the way to school?
3. What happened after the fight between Ernest and Josephin?
4. What did the grandmother think of Lucie's haircut?
5. How did feel about getting a hen from the yard?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)