|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the relationship like between Ernest and Jacques?
(a) Ernest thought Jacques was a burden.
(b) They were close.
(c) They were polite to each other, but didn't get close.
(d) Ernest tolerated the boy.
2. What happened after the fight between Ernest and Josephin?
(a) Josephin had to go to the hospital.
(b) They both began to cry and made up.
(c) Josephin stopped eating at the house.
(d) Ernest had to go to the hospital.
3. How did Jacques feel when he got into the school of higher education?
(a) It made him somewhat sad.
(b) He felt like he deserved it.
(c) He regretted his decision to try for it.
(d) Happy, but bereft as his teacher left.
4. What had changed since Henri and Lucie lived there?
(a) Everything. All the original buildings were gone.
(c) Everything was even more dilapidated.
(d) The house was bigger.
5. What set Jacques apart from his schoolmates?
(a) His family traditions and values.
(b) His poverty.
(c) His brilliance.
(d) His sense of humor.
6. How did Jacques define his religious preferences?
(a) He was a strict Catholic.
(b) He was a non-practicing Catholic.
(c) He was an atheist.
(d) He was an agnostic.
7. How did Jacques feel when he got the hen?
(c) He was sick with disgust and fear.
8. What did Jacques and Pierre take to get to school?
(a) A trolley.
(b) A taxi.
(d) A train.
9. What happened to Jacques at the cooperage?
(a) His finger was crushed.
(b) He was offered a full-time job.
(c) He fell into the fire.
(d) He was robbed.
10. What made the mother and grandmother proud?
(a) They met some very important people and got along with them.
(b) Jacques won an award.
(c) They had the nicest clothes.
(d) They had a strong background.
11. What did Jacques see in his half-dream state?
(a) His teacher.
(b) The guerillas.
(c) His grandmother.
(d) His father.
12. What did Jacques consider his country?
13. What was Josephin's relationship to Ernest?
(a) They were best friends.
(b) Ernest was Josephin's father.
(c) They were enemies.
(d) They were brothers.
14. Why was Jacques one of the teacher's pets?
(a) Because of his good grades.
(b) Because the teacher loved Jacques' mother.
(c) He considered all the boys with fathers who died in the war his pets.
(d) Because he never got into trouble.
15. How did Tamzal feel about war?
(a) He thought is was something everyone should engage in.
(b) He thought war was a strange beast.
(c) He felt it was more normal than peace.
(d) He abhorred it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Pierre and Jacques pass on the way to school?
2. Why was M. Bernard's class so interesting for the children?
3. What pastime did Ernest thoroughly enjoy?
4. What religious education did Jacques have to go through?
5. How did the grandmother embarrass Jacques during the awards ceremony?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)