|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the farmer do?
(a) He offered his wine to the guerillas.
(b) He rescued his animals.
(c) He dug up his vine and empties his vats.
(d) He went out to care for his vines.
2. What had changed since Henri and Lucie lived there?
(a) The house was bigger.
(b) Everything was even more dilapidated.
(d) Everything. All the original buildings were gone.
3. What type of book mostly appealed to Jacques?
(a) Science fiction.
(d) Cloak and dagger novels.
4. What was the political situation like?
(a) There were negotiations for peace.
(b) Things were about to blow apart into warfare.
(c) It was a time of peace.
(d) It was a time of unrest, and it wasn't safe to live there.
5. What was the hallway like?
6. What did Pierre and Jacques treat themselves with when they had extra money?
(a) A newspaper.
(b) Nothing. They saved all the money they could get.
(c) A new book.
(d) A plain fritter.
7. What book did the teacher read to the students?
(a) McGuffey's Reader.
(b) A book about World War I.
(c) A book on etiquette.
(d) The Holy Bible.
8. Who tried to protect the chickens from thieves?
(a) The Arab next door.
(c) The grandmother.
(d) The barber.
9. What did the hens start to do when Jacques came near?
(a) Come toward him for food.
(b) Nothing. They were used to him.
(c) Run away.
10. What could Jacques identify by smell?
(a) The different rooms in the school.
(c) The weather.
11. Why did Jacques and Pierre have to leave their neighborhood on a daily basis?
(a) They had to travel to attend school.
(b) The dog catcher chased them out.
(c) They had to go to work.
(d) Their parents told them to stay out of the house during the week.
12. How did Jacques define his religious preferences?
(a) He was a strict Catholic.
(b) He was a non-practicing Catholic.
(c) He was an atheist.
(d) He was an agnostic.
13. What happened after the fight between Ernest and Josephin?
(a) Josephin stopped eating at the house.
(b) Ernest had to go to the hospital.
(c) They both began to cry and made up.
(d) Josephin had to go to the hospital.
14. How did Jacques feel about the light?
(a) He felt it disguised the true darkness around him.
(b) It made his heart grow lighter.
(c) It was a waste of money.
(d) It glared harshly on their poverty.
15. What did Jacques learn about his father from Veillard?
(a) He learned that his father had a great sense of humor.
(b) Nothing. The man knew nothing about the Henri.
(c) He learned that his father was a strictly religious man.
(d) He learned that his father was a hard worker.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Jacques like in his library books?
2. What religious education did Jacques have to go through?
3. Who did Jacques walk to school with?
4. What did the Cormerys do on vacation?
5. What world did Jacques become most part of?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)