|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the boys fill their pockets with?
2. How would Jacques learn more about his father?
(a) From his mother.
(b) He would have to research the man on his own.
(c) From his uncle.
(d) From his grandmother.
3. How did Jacques feel about siestas?
(a) He found them relaxing and pleasant.
(b) He looked forward to going to bed.
(c) He hated them.
(d) He knew he needed them.
4. What happened when the husband knocked on the door at the doctor's house?
(a) People came scurrying out.
(b) They yelled at him to leave.
(c) The doctor came out, full of concern.
(d) Nothing. No one answered at first.
5. How did Lucie and her husband travel on the last stage of their trip to their new home?
6. Why was it difficult for Catherine to understand the films?
(a) The actor's vocabulary was too advanced for her.
(b) She was illiterate.
(c) She couldn't hear.
(d) She was distracted by the children around her.
7. What did Lucie think of the political situation when her husband went off to war?
(a) She didn't know what was going on.
(b) She wanted to leave the country.
(c) She understood why they needed to fight.
(d) She had been following the politically strategies closely and agreed that her husband he to go.
8. What was the husband's new job?
(a) He was the veterinarian at the Saint-Apotre property.
(b) He was the smithy at the Saint-Apotre property.
(c) He was manager at the Saint-Apotre property.
(d) He was the owner of the Saint-Apotre property.
9. What game was Pierre good at?
(a) Poor man's basketball.
(b) Poor man's tennis.
10. How did the wife respond to her pain.
(a) She tried not to show it.
(b) She screamed.
(c) She wouldn't stop complaining.
(d) She ignored it.
11. What does Jacques tell Malan he's willing to give him?
(b) Money for a train ride.
(c) Everything he has.
(d) Rent money.
12. Why was Lucie afraid?
(a) She had nightmares about her husband's death when she slept.
(b) Two bombs had exploded in her area that week.
(c) She didn't want to die.
(d) She was worried that she wouldn't have money to survive.
13. How were the children in the theater kept in line?
(a) They were kicked out if they were noisy.
(b) They had to stand in a corner if they didn't behave.
(c) With a whip
(d) They were bribed with candy.
14. What did Jacques realize about his grandmother?
(a) She loved him.
(b) It was painful for her to be with him since he was so similar to his father.
(c) She thought he was a nuisance.
(d) She resented his presence in her life.
15. What was Victor Malan's job?
(b) Customs administration.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the husband go to find a doctor?
2. Who was standing in the corridor of the Saint-Brieuc train 40 years after Henri and Lucie had their child?
3. What was the mattress in the new house like?
4. How does Malan describe Jacques?
5. Why did Jacques go to visit his father?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)