|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What year did the husband and wife move from Algiers?
2. What did the children do in their meeting place?
(a) They shared candy and made forts.
(b) They talked about their future.
(c) They created gaming strategies.
(d) They made plans for mischief.
3. What instrument did Jacques do best with?
(a) The cello.
(b) The flute.
(c) His voice.
(d) The violin.
4. How did Lucie and her husband travel on the last stage of their trip to their new home?
5. Why did the women laugh when the doctor arrived?
(a) They thought he was a fool.
(b) He looked like a drowned rat.
(c) The baby was already born.
(d) He was joking with them.
6. What part of the cemetery did the traveler specifically go to?
(a) The section for the unsaved souls.
(b) The section for the homeless.
(c) The section for the elitists.
(d) The section for those who died in the war or 1914.
7. What did Lucie think about movies?
(a) She wanted to be a movie star.
(b) She felt that the theater was too crowded.
(c) The theater wasn't a treat for her.
(d) She appreciated her escape from reality.
8. What did Jacques say happened to the coin?
(a) He said that he gave it to a beggar.
(b) He said he spent it and forgot to get change.
(c) He said someone stole it.
(d) He said he lost it.
9. What did Malan think about marriage?
(a) He thinks marriage is a waste of time.
(b) He loved his wife.
(c) He doesn't like to contemplate the thought of marriage.
(d) He didn't see how any spouses could love each other.
10. Why was Lucie afraid?
(a) She didn't want to die.
(b) Two bombs had exploded in her area that week.
(c) She was worried that she wouldn't have money to survive.
(d) She had nightmares about her husband's death when she slept.
11. Who did the Arab go to find?
(a) His sister.
(b) His daughter-in-law.
(c) A doctor.
(d) His wife.
12. What was Jacques' job at the theater?
(a) He helped seat everyone.
(b) He was in charge of telling the family when the film was about to begin.
(c) He read the captions to his grandmother.
(d) He ran and got the snacks for his family.
13. What did the house look like when the husband and doctor arrived?
(a) It was full of organized birthing activity.
(b) It was empty.
(c) It looked disorderly.
(d) The fire had gone out, and looked stark.
14. What did Jacques do after siesta when he was young?
(a) He did his chores.
(b) He went to work at the market.
(c) He would run outside to play with his friends.
(d) He did his schoolwork.
15. What happened when the husband knocked on the door at the doctor's house?
(a) They yelled at him to leave.
(b) Nothing. No one answered at first.
(c) The doctor came out, full of concern.
(d) People came scurrying out.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Jacques feel about going back to Algiers?
2. How did the wife respond to her pain.
3. Why was it difficult for Catherine to understand the films?
4. What did Jacques realize about his grandmother?
5. How did Max gain his popularity?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)