|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was the wife in pain as they traveled?
(a) She was in labor.
(b) She suffered from migraines.
(c) She had a bad back.
(d) She had a broken leg.
2. What disability did Jacques's uncle have?
(a) He was half mute.
(b) He was deaf.
(c) He was blind.
(d) He was a mute.
3. Who did the Arab go to find?
(a) His wife.
(b) A doctor.
(c) His sister.
(d) His daughter-in-law.
4. What does Malan laugh with Jacques about?
(a) He teases Jacques about his crush on the woman at the train station.
(b) He tells Jacques to get a job in the same school he works in.
(c) He teases Jacques about the food they are eating.
(d) He tells Jacques to go to his mom to find out more about his dad.
5. How does Malan feel about Jacques finding out more about his father?
(a) He doesn't understand why he would want to.
(b) He think the idea is funny.
(c) He doesn't think it's wise.
(d) He thinks it's a great idea.
6. What happened when the husband knocked on the door at the doctor's house?
(a) They yelled at him to leave.
(b) Nothing. No one answered at first.
(c) The doctor came out, full of concern.
(d) People came scurrying out.
7. What was the weather like as Lucie and her husband traveled to their new home?
(a) It was raining.
(b) It was a beautiful day.
(c) It was starting to snow.
(d) A tornado was chasing them.
8. What did Lucie do with the letter announcing her husband's death?
(a) She burned it.
(b) She tore it up.
(c) She read it then put it in the family album.
(d) She put it in her pocket since she couldn't read.
9. How would Jacques learn more about his father?
(a) From his uncle.
(b) He would have to research the man on his own.
(c) From his mother.
(d) From his grandmother.
10. How did the wife respond to her pain.
(a) She screamed.
(b) She ignored it.
(c) She wouldn't stop complaining.
(d) She tried not to show it.
11. How does Malan describe Jacques?
12. What did the boys fill their pockets with?
13. Why was it difficult for Catherine to understand the films?
(a) She couldn't hear.
(b) The actor's vocabulary was too advanced for her.
(c) She was illiterate.
(d) She was distracted by the children around her.
14. How did Jacques feel about siestas?
(a) He hated them.
(b) He knew he needed them.
(c) He found them relaxing and pleasant.
(d) He looked forward to going to bed.
15. What made the African troops stand out?
(a) Their brightly colored uniforms.
(b) Their aggressive fighting style.
(c) Their strategic fighting skills.
(d) Their optimism.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the man react to those traveling near him?
2. What part of the cemetery did the traveler specifically go to?
3. What did Malan look like?
4. How did Jacques feel when the evening came?
5. What does Jacques tell Malan he's willing to give him?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)