|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the man react to all the waiting he had to do in his travels?
(a) He demanded to talk with the manager.
(b) He became depressed.
(c) He was patient.
(d) It made him angry, and he started yelling at the others in line.
2. What aura did the man emanate?
(a) One of competence and vigor.
(b) One of insecurity.
(c) One of intrigue.
(d) One of menace.
3. Why did the women laugh when the doctor arrived?
(a) They thought he was a fool.
(b) He was joking with them.
(c) The baby was already born.
(d) He looked like a drowned rat.
4. Why did he like his small town?
(a) He hated city pollution.
(b) It didn't distract him from his solitary meditation.
(c) He felt secure.
(d) He liked knowing his neighbors.
5. What did Malan think about marriage?
(a) He thinks marriage is a waste of time.
(b) He doesn't like to contemplate the thought of marriage.
(c) He didn't see how any spouses could love each other.
(d) He loved his wife.
6. What was the mattress in the new house like?
(a) It was brand new.
(b) It was filthy and covered with mold.
(c) It smelled like damp hair.
(d) It was very comfortable.
7. How would Jacques learn more about his father?
(a) From his uncle.
(b) From his mother.
(c) He would have to research the man on his own.
(d) From his grandmother.
8. What did the children do in their meeting place?
(a) They shared candy and made forts.
(b) They made plans for mischief.
(c) They talked about their future.
(d) They created gaming strategies.
9. Where did the traveler walk to when he left his hotel?
(a) The movie theater.
(b) The cemetery.
(c) The park.
(d) The grocery store.
10. What does Jacques tell Malan he's willing to give him?
(a) Everything he has.
(b) Rent money.
(c) Money for a train ride.
11. What did Jacques realize about his grandmother?
(a) She thought he was a nuisance.
(b) It was painful for her to be with him since he was so similar to his father.
(c) She loved him.
(d) She resented his presence in her life.
12. What does Jacques think about Henri's early death?
(a) He thinks that's what one deserves when he goes off to war.
(b) He thinks he was spared suffering.
(c) He is sad when thinking about the joys in life that Henri missed.
(d) He thinks it's tragic.
13. How did they split the fries?
(a) They didn't share, and the ones without money had to watch the other boys eat.
(b) They boy who bought got half, and the rest was split evenly.
(c) They each got an even share.
(d) Each boy got one fry, and the one who bought them got the rest.
14. Why was it difficult for Catherine to understand the films?
(a) The actor's vocabulary was too advanced for her.
(b) She couldn't hear.
(c) She was illiterate.
(d) She was distracted by the children around her.
15. How were Jacques and his father similar?
(a) They both were farmers.
(b) Jacques looked like his father.
(c) They both loved art.
(d) They were both soldiers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did he and his friends stop on the way to the field?
2. What did they name the child?
3. What was the weather like as Lucie and her husband traveled to their new home?
4. How did the husband respond when the doctor asked if he had other children?
5. Why did Malan help Jacques at the beginning of their friendship?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)