|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Malan help Jacques at the beginning of their friendship?
(a) He felt like a father to Jacques.
(b) He felt like Jacques was his mirror image.
(c) He felt that Jacques was gifted.
(d) He pitied Jacques.
2. Who was standing in the corridor of the Saint-Brieuc train 40 years after Henri and Lucie had their child?
(a) A priest.
(b) The Arab.
(c) A man.
(d) A soldier.
3. What did the children do in their meeting place?
(a) They shared candy and made forts.
(b) They created gaming strategies.
(c) They talked about their future.
(d) They made plans for mischief.
4. What did Jacques like about Malan?
(a) He really reached out and cared for others.
(b) He did his own thing.
(c) He was super intelligent.
(d) He could do any type of job necessary.
5. What does Jacques think about Henri's early death?
(a) He thinks he was spared suffering.
(b) He thinks that's what one deserves when he goes off to war.
(c) He thinks it's tragic.
(d) He is sad when thinking about the joys in life that Henri missed.
6. Why did Malan ask for forgiveness?
(a) He doesn't understand what Jacques is going through.
(b) Sometimes he doesn't know how to respond to caring.
(c) Sometimes he cares too much.
(d) He is a bitter man.
7. According to Jacques' grandmother, what illness did Lucie have when she was young?
(a) Chicken pox.
(c) The flu.
8. What couldn't Jacques control?
(a) His fear of water.
(b) His desire for candy.
(c) His body as he tried to play games.
(d) His violent temper.
9. Why was Lucie afraid?
(a) Two bombs had exploded in her area that week.
(b) She was worried that she wouldn't have money to survive.
(c) She had nightmares about her husband's death when she slept.
(d) She didn't want to die.
10. How did Jacques' discovery about his father change his feelings toward him?
(a) His hero-worship turned to disdain.
(b) He felt compassion for the man instead of ambivalence.
(c) It helped him understand the man more.
(d) He suddenly regretted that he never really knew his father.
11. What does Malan laugh with Jacques about?
(a) He tells Jacques to get a job in the same school he works in.
(b) He teases Jacques about his crush on the woman at the train station.
(c) He tells Jacques to go to his mom to find out more about his dad.
(d) He teases Jacques about the food they are eating.
12. How were Jacques and his father similar?
(a) Jacques looked like his father.
(b) They both loved art.
(c) They were both soldiers.
(d) They both were farmers.
13. What did they name the child?
14. Where did Henri grow up?
(a) On a plantation.
(b) In an orphanage.
(c) In the city.
(d) On a small farm.
15. How did Jacques feel about being on a boat?
(a) He always got sea sick.
(b) He loved the sound and feel of being on a boat.
(c) He worried about drowning.
(d) He thought it was fine, but preferred trains.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did the Arab go to find?
2. Why was it difficult for Catherine to understand the films?
3. Whose grave was the traveler looking for?
4. Why did he like his small town?
5. What happened when the husband knocked on the door at the doctor's house?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)