|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did the husband go to find a doctor?
(a) He went to a neighboring tribe.
(b) He went to the village they passed on the way to their house.
(c) He didn't go anywhere since he knew there were no doctors around.
(d) He went to a neighbor.
2. According to Jacques' grandmother, what illness did Lucie have when she was young?
(b) Chicken pox.
(c) The flu.
3. What did Jacques realize about his father?
(a) His father was a hero to many.
(b) He was younger than Jacques when he died.
(c) His father made a positive impact on many people's lives.
(d) The man was prone to anger.
4. What message did he give Jacques?
(a) Stay away from marriage.
(b) There is no relationship better than that between a father and son.
(c) We never really know people even when we think we know them.
(d) Education is more important than anything on Earth.
5. Why did the women laugh when the doctor arrived?
(a) He was joking with them.
(b) The baby was already born.
(c) He looked like a drowned rat.
(d) They thought he was a fool.
6. How did the man react to those traveling near him?
(a) He pulled out a magazine and kept to himself.
(b) He mentally made up stories about each one them.
(c) He stayed as far away from them as possible.
(d) He tried to talk with everyone.
7. Why was Lucie afraid?
(a) Two bombs had exploded in her area that week.
(b) She didn't want to die.
(c) She had nightmares about her husband's death when she slept.
(d) She was worried that she wouldn't have money to survive.
8. How did Jacques feel about siestas?
(a) He knew he needed them.
(b) He found them relaxing and pleasant.
(c) He looked forward to going to bed.
(d) He hated them.
9. How did Jacques' mother seem as she gazed out the window?
10. Where did he and his friends stop on the way to the field?
(a) The post office.
(b) The waterspout.
(c) The market.
(d) The candy store.
11. How did Jacques feel about being on a boat?
(a) He loved the sound and feel of being on a boat.
(b) He thought it was fine, but preferred trains.
(c) He always got sea sick.
(d) He worried about drowning.
12. What instrument did Jacques do best with?
(a) His voice.
(b) The violin.
(c) The cello.
(d) The flute.
13. Where would all the children gather?
(a) At the fountain.
(b) In the field.
(c) In the cellar.
(d) On the beach.
14. What was the population like around their new home?
(a) It was a city.
(b) It was a friendly neighborhood where families stayed outside in the evenings to talk.
(c) There weren't many people.
(d) There were a few people, but the people shunned them.
15. What couldn't Jacques control?
(a) His body as he tried to play games.
(b) His fear of water.
(c) His desire for candy.
(d) His violent temper.
Short Answer Questions
1. What game was Pierre good at?
2. Where did the traveler walk to when he left his hotel?
3. How did Jacques feel when the evening came?
4. How did Jacques feel about going back to Algiers?
5. What was the weather like as Lucie and her husband traveled to their new home?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)