|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Lucie think of the political situation when her husband went off to war?
(a) She understood why they needed to fight.
(b) She had been following the politically strategies closely and agreed that her husband he to go.
(c) She wanted to leave the country.
(d) She didn't know what was going on.
2. According to Jacques' grandmother, what illness did Lucie have when she was young?
(c) Chicken pox.
(d) The flu.
3. Who was the traveler?
(c) The Arab.
4. How did Henri react to the execution he witnessed?
(a) He was livid and vomited.
(b) It made him decide to get more involved in politics.
(c) He slipped into a depression after it.
(d) He thought it was exciting.
5. What does Malan laugh with Jacques about?
(a) He teases Jacques about his crush on the woman at the train station.
(b) He tells Jacques to go to his mom to find out more about his dad.
(c) He tells Jacques to get a job in the same school he works in.
(d) He teases Jacques about the food they are eating.
6. How did Lucie and her husband travel on the last stage of their trip to their new home?
7. Why didn't Jacques' grandmother want him to play soccer?
(a) She thought he should be working.
(b) It ruined his boots.
(c) She didn't like the children he was playing with.
(d) She thought he should be studying.
8. How did the man surprise the chambermaid at the hotel?
(a) He gave her a tip even though he wouldn't let her carry his bag.
(b) He was irrational.
(c) He passed out in the hallway.
(d) He gave her flowers.
9. Where did the husband go to find a doctor?
(a) He went to the village they passed on the way to their house.
(b) He went to a neighbor.
(c) He didn't go anywhere since he knew there were no doctors around.
(d) He went to a neighboring tribe.
10. Why did Malan ask for forgiveness?
(a) He is a bitter man.
(b) Sometimes he cares too much.
(c) Sometimes he doesn't know how to respond to caring.
(d) He doesn't understand what Jacques is going through.
11. Where did the boys sneak away to in the summer?
(a) The beach.
(b) The market.
(c) The stables.
(d) The ball field.
12. How did Jacques feel about going back to Algiers?
(a) He refused to ever go back.
(b) He was filled with happy anxiety.
(c) He embraced the idea of going back with gusto.
(d) He dreaded it.
13. What was the husband's new job?
(a) He was manager at the Saint-Apotre property.
(b) He was the owner of the Saint-Apotre property.
(c) He was the veterinarian at the Saint-Apotre property.
(d) He was the smithy at the Saint-Apotre property.
14. Where was Henri's family from?
15. How did Jacques feel when the evening came?
(a) He wasn't ready to leave the grave.
(b) He knew in his heart that he had to bring his mother there.
(c) He knew that he would be back as soon as possible.
(d) He wanted to get as far away as possible.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Jacques feel about being on a boat?
2. What does Jacques tell Malan he's willing to give him?
3. What message did he give Jacques?
4. Why did he like his small town?
5. How does Malan feel about Jacques finding out more about his father?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)