|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What token did Lucie receive from the war?
(a) Her husband's uniform.
(b) Her husband's boots.
(c) A medal.
(d) A shell fragment from her husband's skull.
2. What year did the husband and wife move from Algiers?
3. What part of the cemetery did the traveler specifically go to?
(a) The section for the homeless.
(b) The section for the unsaved souls.
(c) The section for those who died in the war or 1914.
(d) The section for the elitists.
4. What happened when the husband knocked on the door at the doctor's house?
(a) They yelled at him to leave.
(b) People came scurrying out.
(c) The doctor came out, full of concern.
(d) Nothing. No one answered at first.
5. How did the husband respond when the doctor asked if he had other children?
(a) He asked why the doctor needed to know.
(b) He started crying.
(c) He said he had a four-year-old boy in Algiers with his mother-in-law.
(d) He said he had no other children.
6. How does Malan feel about Jacques finding out more about his father?
(a) He doesn't understand why he would want to.
(b) He think the idea is funny.
(c) He thinks it's a great idea.
(d) He doesn't think it's wise.
7. How did the husband respond to the wife?
(a) He yelled at her angrily.
(b) He ignored.
(c) He was concerned about her.
(d) He told her to stop her whining.
8. How does Malan describe Jacques?
9. Where did he and his friends stop on the way to the field?
(a) The candy store.
(b) The post office.
(c) The waterspout.
(d) The market.
10. Who was standing in the corridor of the Saint-Brieuc train 40 years after Henri and Lucie had their child?
(a) The Arab.
(b) A soldier.
(c) A priest.
(d) A man.
11. What was the baby like?
(a) It was a sturdy boy.
(b) It was a sickly girl.
(c) It was a sturdy girl.
(d) It was a sickly boy.
12. What did the boys fill their pockets with?
13. Why did he like his small town?
(a) He felt secure.
(b) It didn't distract him from his solitary meditation.
(c) He liked knowing his neighbors.
(d) He hated city pollution.
14. What was the population like around their new home?
(a) It was a city.
(b) There weren't many people.
(c) There were a few people, but the people shunned them.
(d) It was a friendly neighborhood where families stayed outside in the evenings to talk.
15. Why was the wife in pain as they traveled?
(a) She had a broken leg.
(b) She had a bad back.
(c) She suffered from migraines.
(d) She was in labor.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Jacques feel when the evening came?
2. How did Jacques feel about going back to Algiers?
3. Why was Lucie afraid?
4. Where was Henri's family from?
5. How did the man react to all the waiting he had to do in his travels?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)