|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jacques tell Malan he's willing to give him?
(b) Money for a train ride.
(c) Rent money.
(d) Everything he has.
2. How did they split the fries?
(a) Each boy got one fry, and the one who bought them got the rest.
(b) They each got an even share.
(c) They boy who bought got half, and the rest was split evenly.
(d) They didn't share, and the ones without money had to watch the other boys eat.
3. How did the wife respond to her pain.
(a) She ignored it.
(b) She wouldn't stop complaining.
(c) She screamed.
(d) She tried not to show it.
4. What did they name the child?
5. What was the baby like?
(a) It was a sickly girl.
(b) It was a sickly boy.
(c) It was a sturdy girl.
(d) It was a sturdy boy.
6. What does Jacques think about Henri's early death?
(a) He thinks it's tragic.
(b) He is sad when thinking about the joys in life that Henri missed.
(c) He thinks that's what one deserves when he goes off to war.
(d) He thinks he was spared suffering.
7. How did Jacques' discovery about his father change his feelings toward him?
(a) His hero-worship turned to disdain.
(b) He suddenly regretted that he never really knew his father.
(c) It helped him understand the man more.
(d) He felt compassion for the man instead of ambivalence.
8. How did Jacques feel about going back to Algiers?
(a) He refused to ever go back.
(b) He was filled with happy anxiety.
(c) He embraced the idea of going back with gusto.
(d) He dreaded it.
9. What does Malan laugh with Jacques about?
(a) He tells Jacques to go to his mom to find out more about his dad.
(b) He tells Jacques to get a job in the same school he works in.
(c) He teases Jacques about the food they are eating.
(d) He teases Jacques about his crush on the woman at the train station.
10. Why did Malan help Jacques at the beginning of their friendship?
(a) He felt like a father to Jacques.
(b) He felt like Jacques was his mirror image.
(c) He pitied Jacques.
(d) He felt that Jacques was gifted.
11. What disability did Jacques's uncle have?
(a) He was deaf.
(b) He was half mute.
(c) He was blind.
(d) He was a mute.
12. Why didn't Jacques' grandmother want him to play soccer?
(a) It ruined his boots.
(b) She didn't like the children he was playing with.
(c) She thought he should be working.
(d) She thought he should be studying.
13. According to Jacques' grandmother, what illness did Lucie have when she was young?
(a) Chicken pox.
(b) The flu.
14. Who was the traveler?
(d) The Arab.
15. What was the mattress in the new house like?
(a) It was filthy and covered with mold.
(b) It smelled like damp hair.
(c) It was very comfortable.
(d) It was brand new.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the women laugh when the doctor arrived?
2. What did Lucie think about movies?
3. What did Malan think about marriage?
4. How were the children in the theater kept in line?
5. What did the children do in their meeting place?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)