|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the man react to all the waiting he had to do in his travels?
(a) It made him angry, and he started yelling at the others in line.
(b) He demanded to talk with the manager.
(c) He became depressed.
(d) He was patient.
2. Where was Henri's family from?
3. How did Jacques feel about being on a boat?
(a) He always got sea sick.
(b) He loved the sound and feel of being on a boat.
(c) He thought it was fine, but preferred trains.
(d) He worried about drowning.
4. What handicap did Lucie have?
(a) She couldn't speak.
(b) She couldn't hear.
(c) She was lame.
(d) She was blind.
5. Why did Jacques go to visit his father?
(a) His mother had asked him to.
(b) He wanted to tell his dad how he felt.
(c) He wanted to find out more about the man.
(d) He wanted to make peace with his father.
6. How long had Malan and Jacques been friends?
(a) 5 years.
(b) 40 years.
(c) 20 years.
(d) 10 years.
7. How did Jacques feel about going back to Algiers?
(a) He dreaded it.
(b) He refused to ever go back.
(c) He was filled with happy anxiety.
(d) He embraced the idea of going back with gusto.
8. What message did he give Jacques?
(a) We never really know people even when we think we know them.
(b) There is no relationship better than that between a father and son.
(c) Stay away from marriage.
(d) Education is more important than anything on Earth.
9. What sound did Jacques hear before he left the graveyard?
(a) He heard birds preparing for the night.
(b) He heard an explosion as an invisible plane broke the sound barrier.
(c) He heard a car crash.
(d) He heard his father's voice whispering to him.
10. What was the husband's new job?
(a) He was manager at the Saint-Apotre property.
(b) He was the veterinarian at the Saint-Apotre property.
(c) He was the smithy at the Saint-Apotre property.
(d) He was the owner of the Saint-Apotre property.
11. What part of the cemetery did the traveler specifically go to?
(a) The section for the unsaved souls.
(b) The section for those who died in the war or 1914.
(c) The section for the homeless.
(d) The section for the elitists.
12. What was the sea like?
(a) Gentle and warm.
(b) Treacherous and cold.
(c) Gentle yet cold.
(d) Treacherous yet warm.
13. How did the husband respond when the doctor asked if he had other children?
(a) He started crying.
(b) He said he had no other children.
(c) He asked why the doctor needed to know.
(d) He said he had a four-year-old boy in Algiers with his mother-in-law.
14. How does Malan describe Jacques?
15. Who would Jacques take a siesta with when he was younger?
(a) His uncle.
(b) His mother.
(c) His grandmother.
(d) His brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Jacques feel about Paris?
2. What did the house look like when the husband and doctor arrived?
3. Where did the boys sneak away to in the summer?
4. How did Max gain his popularity?
5. How did Lucie and her husband travel on the last stage of their trip to their new home?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)