|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Lucie do with the letter announcing her husband's death?
(a) She read it then put it in the family album.
(b) She put it in her pocket since she couldn't read.
(c) She burned it.
(d) She tore it up.
2. How did they split the fries?
(a) They each got an even share.
(b) They didn't share, and the ones without money had to watch the other boys eat.
(c) They boy who bought got half, and the rest was split evenly.
(d) Each boy got one fry, and the one who bought them got the rest.
3. What was the weather like as Lucie and her husband traveled to their new home?
(a) It was raining.
(b) It was starting to snow.
(c) It was a beautiful day.
(d) A tornado was chasing them.
4. What did Jacques like about Malan?
(a) He was super intelligent.
(b) He could do any type of job necessary.
(c) He really reached out and cared for others.
(d) He did his own thing.
5. What did they name the child?
6. How did the husband respond when the doctor asked if he had other children?
(a) He said he had no other children.
(b) He asked why the doctor needed to know.
(c) He said he had a four-year-old boy in Algiers with his mother-in-law.
(d) He started crying.
7. What does Malan laugh with Jacques about?
(a) He tells Jacques to go to his mom to find out more about his dad.
(b) He teases Jacques about his crush on the woman at the train station.
(c) He tells Jacques to get a job in the same school he works in.
(d) He teases Jacques about the food they are eating.
8. How did Lucie and her husband travel on the last stage of their trip to their new home?
9. Who had the most influence in Jacques' childhood?
(a) His mother.
(b) His brother.
(c) His father.
(d) His grandmother.
10. What did Malan think about marriage?
(a) He thinks marriage is a waste of time.
(b) He doesn't like to contemplate the thought of marriage.
(c) He didn't see how any spouses could love each other.
(d) He loved his wife.
11. What is one of Malan's faults according to Jacques?
(a) He eats too much.
(b) He it thrifty.
(c) He doesn't realize others aren't as smart as he is.
(d) He is too arrogant.
12. Why did Malan help Jacques at the beginning of their friendship?
(a) He felt like Jacques was his mirror image.
(b) He felt like a father to Jacques.
(c) He pitied Jacques.
(d) He felt that Jacques was gifted.
13. Why was Lucie afraid?
(a) She didn't want to die.
(b) She had nightmares about her husband's death when she slept.
(c) Two bombs had exploded in her area that week.
(d) She was worried that she wouldn't have money to survive.
14. What happened when the husband knocked on the door at the doctor's house?
(a) They yelled at him to leave.
(b) The doctor came out, full of concern.
(c) Nothing. No one answered at first.
(d) People came scurrying out.
15. What did Lucie do in the evenings when Etienne wasn't there?
(a) She called her family members on the phone.
(b) She read.
(c) She knitted a blanket.
(d) She lies down doing nothing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the women laugh when the doctor arrived?
2. How did Jacques' discovery about his father change his feelings toward him?
3. What message did he give Jacques?
4. What handicap did Lucie have?
5. Where did the traveler walk to when he left his hotel?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)