|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What disability did Jacques's uncle have?
(a) He was deaf.
(b) He was blind.
(c) He was half mute.
(d) He was a mute.
2. What did Jacques realize about his father?
(a) The man was prone to anger.
(b) His father was a hero to many.
(c) He was younger than Jacques when he died.
(d) His father made a positive impact on many people's lives.
3. What did Malan think about marriage?
(a) He didn't see how any spouses could love each other.
(b) He doesn't like to contemplate the thought of marriage.
(c) He loved his wife.
(d) He thinks marriage is a waste of time.
4. Why was the wife in pain as they traveled?
(a) She had a broken leg.
(b) She was in labor.
(c) She suffered from migraines.
(d) She had a bad back.
5. What did Jacques do after siesta when he was young?
(a) He went to work at the market.
(b) He did his chores.
(c) He would run outside to play with his friends.
(d) He did his schoolwork.
6. Where did Henri grow up?
(a) On a plantation.
(b) In an orphanage.
(c) In the city.
(d) On a small farm.
7. Where did he and his friends stop on the way to the field?
(a) The market.
(b) The post office.
(c) The candy store.
(d) The waterspout.
8. How did the husband respond when the doctor asked if he had other children?
(a) He said he had no other children.
(b) He said he had a four-year-old boy in Algiers with his mother-in-law.
(c) He started crying.
(d) He asked why the doctor needed to know.
9. Where did the husband go to find a doctor?
(a) He went to a neighboring tribe.
(b) He went to a neighbor.
(c) He didn't go anywhere since he knew there were no doctors around.
(d) He went to the village they passed on the way to their house.
10. Where did Jacques' mother live?
(a) In a little cottage.
(b) Right near the beach.
(c) In the house where he grew up.
(d) In the nursing home.
11. How did Jacques feel about being on a boat?
(a) He always got sea sick.
(b) He loved the sound and feel of being on a boat.
(c) He worried about drowning.
(d) He thought it was fine, but preferred trains.
12. What was the baby like?
(a) It was a sickly boy.
(b) It was a sturdy boy.
(c) It was a sickly girl.
(d) It was a sturdy girl.
13. What part of the cemetery did the traveler specifically go to?
(a) The section for the unsaved souls.
(b) The section for those who died in the war or 1914.
(c) The section for the elitists.
(d) The section for the homeless.
14. How did Jacques feel about his father?
(a) He didn't feel much of anything since he never really knew him.
(b) He respected his father.
(c) He resented his father's leaving.
(d) He considered his father to be his hero.
15. Who would Jacques take a siesta with when he was younger?
(a) His brother.
(b) His mother.
(c) His grandmother.
(d) His uncle.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the husband respond to the wife?
2. Why does Jacques say he's different around Malan?
3. What did Lucie think of the political situation when her husband went off to war?
4. How did Lucie and her husband travel on the last stage of their trip to their new home?
5. How did Henri react to the execution he witnessed?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)