|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did they name the child?
2. How did Jacques' mother seem as she gazed out the window?
3. How were Jacques and his father similar?
(a) Jacques looked like his father.
(b) They both loved art.
(c) They both were farmers.
(d) They were both soldiers.
4. Why did Malan ask for forgiveness?
(a) He doesn't understand what Jacques is going through.
(b) He is a bitter man.
(c) Sometimes he doesn't know how to respond to caring.
(d) Sometimes he cares too much.
5. Why did the women laugh when the doctor arrived?
(a) The baby was already born.
(b) He was joking with them.
(c) He looked like a drowned rat.
(d) They thought he was a fool.
6. How did Jacques' grandmother respond to his escapades?
(a) She wanted to join him next time.
(b) She whipped him.
(c) She laughed at them.
(d) She sent him to his room.
7. What did Lucie think about movies?
(a) The theater wasn't a treat for her.
(b) She appreciated her escape from reality.
(c) She felt that the theater was too crowded.
(d) She wanted to be a movie star.
8. What was Jacques' job at the theater?
(a) He helped seat everyone.
(b) He was in charge of telling the family when the film was about to begin.
(c) He ran and got the snacks for his family.
(d) He read the captions to his grandmother.
9. Why was the wife in pain as they traveled?
(a) She had a bad back.
(b) She suffered from migraines.
(c) She had a broken leg.
(d) She was in labor.
10. What sound did Jacques hear before he left the graveyard?
(a) He heard an explosion as an invisible plane broke the sound barrier.
(b) He heard his father's voice whispering to him.
(c) He heard birds preparing for the night.
(d) He heard a car crash.
11. What disability did Jacques's uncle have?
(a) He was a mute.
(b) He was blind.
(c) He was deaf.
(d) He was half mute.
12. Who was the traveler?
(d) The Arab.
13. How did Henri react to the execution he witnessed?
(a) He thought it was exciting.
(b) It made him decide to get more involved in politics.
(c) He slipped into a depression after it.
(d) He was livid and vomited.
14. Why did Malan help Jacques at the beginning of their friendship?
(a) He felt that Jacques was gifted.
(b) He felt like Jacques was his mirror image.
(c) He felt like a father to Jacques.
(d) He pitied Jacques.
15. What aura did the man emanate?
(a) One of menace.
(b) One of intrigue.
(c) One of competence and vigor.
(d) One of insecurity.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Jacques do after siesta when he was young?
2. What happened when the husband knocked on the door at the doctor's house?
3. How did Jacques feel about siestas?
4. How old is Malan?
5. Where would all the children gather?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)