|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did the traveler walk to when he left his hotel?
(a) The grocery store.
(b) The movie theater.
(c) The park.
(d) The cemetery.
2. How did Jacques feel about going back to Algiers?
(a) He dreaded it.
(b) He embraced the idea of going back with gusto.
(c) He was filled with happy anxiety.
(d) He refused to ever go back.
3. How did Jacques' discovery about his father change his feelings toward him?
(a) He felt compassion for the man instead of ambivalence.
(b) His hero-worship turned to disdain.
(c) He suddenly regretted that he never really knew his father.
(d) It helped him understand the man more.
4. How did Jacques' mother seem as she gazed out the window?
5. How did Henri feel about some of the actions he saw in the war?
(a) He accepted the actions as something soldiers must do.
(b) He was disgusted but not surprised.
(c) He was horrified and said no man would act like that.
(d) He thought the enemy deserved all they got.
6. According to Jacques' grandmother, what illness did Lucie have when she was young?
(a) The flu.
(b) Chicken pox.
7. What did Jacques say happened to the coin?
(a) He said that he gave it to a beggar.
(b) He said he spent it and forgot to get change.
(c) He said he lost it.
(d) He said someone stole it.
8. Where did Henri grow up?
(a) In the city.
(b) On a small farm.
(c) In an orphanage.
(d) On a plantation.
9. Whose grave was the traveler looking for?
(a) The Arab.
(b) Jacques Cormery.
(c) Lucie Cormery.
(d) Henri Cormery.
10. How did they split the fries?
(a) Each boy got one fry, and the one who bought them got the rest.
(b) They boy who bought got half, and the rest was split evenly.
(c) They each got an even share.
(d) They didn't share, and the ones without money had to watch the other boys eat.
11. How did Jacques feel about being on a boat?
(a) He loved the sound and feel of being on a boat.
(b) He thought it was fine, but preferred trains.
(c) He worried about drowning.
(d) He always got sea sick.
12. What token did Lucie receive from the war?
(a) A shell fragment from her husband's skull.
(b) A medal.
(c) Her husband's boots.
(d) Her husband's uniform.
13. Why didn't Jacques' grandmother want him to play soccer?
(a) She didn't like the children he was playing with.
(b) She thought he should be studying.
(c) She thought he should be working.
(d) It ruined his boots.
14. What does Malan think about Henri's early death?
(a) He thinks that's what one deserves when he goes off to war.
(b) He thinks it's tragic.
(c) He is sad when thinking about the joys in life that Henri missed.
(d) He thinks he was spared suffering.
15. How would Jacques learn more about his father?
(a) He would have to research the man on his own.
(b) From his grandmother.
(c) From his uncle.
(d) From his mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Jacques like with his mother?
2. What does Malan laugh with Jacques about?
3. Why did he like his small town?
4. Where was Henri's family from?
5. Who did the Arab go to find?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)