|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What instrument did Jacques do best with?
(a) The flute.
(b) The cello.
(c) The violin.
(d) His voice.
2. Why did the women laugh when the doctor arrived?
(a) He was joking with them.
(b) They thought he was a fool.
(c) He looked like a drowned rat.
(d) The baby was already born.
3. How did Jacques' discovery about his father change his feelings toward him?
(a) It helped him understand the man more.
(b) He suddenly regretted that he never really knew his father.
(c) He felt compassion for the man instead of ambivalence.
(d) His hero-worship turned to disdain.
4. Who would Jacques take a siesta with when he was younger?
(a) His grandmother.
(b) His brother.
(c) His mother.
(d) His uncle.
5. How long had Malan and Jacques been friends?
(a) 10 years.
(b) 20 years.
(c) 5 years.
(d) 40 years.
6. What did Jacques say happened to the coin?
(a) He said someone stole it.
(b) He said that he gave it to a beggar.
(c) He said he lost it.
(d) He said he spent it and forgot to get change.
7. What sound did Jacques hear before he left the graveyard?
(a) He heard birds preparing for the night.
(b) He heard his father's voice whispering to him.
(c) He heard a car crash.
(d) He heard an explosion as an invisible plane broke the sound barrier.
8. What disability did Jacques's uncle have?
(a) He was blind.
(b) He was a mute.
(c) He was deaf.
(d) He was half mute.
9. What did Malan look like?
(a) The stereotypical Frenchman.
(b) An Arab.
(c) A Chinese man.
(d) A troubadour.
10. What made the African troops stand out?
(a) Their optimism.
(b) Their brightly colored uniforms.
(c) Their aggressive fighting style.
(d) Their strategic fighting skills.
11. Why was Lucie afraid?
(a) She was worried that she wouldn't have money to survive.
(b) She didn't want to die.
(c) She had nightmares about her husband's death when she slept.
(d) Two bombs had exploded in her area that week.
12. What couldn't Jacques control?
(a) His fear of water.
(b) His desire for candy.
(c) His violent temper.
(d) His body as he tried to play games.
13. What did Jacques do after siesta when he was young?
(a) He went to work at the market.
(b) He did his schoolwork.
(c) He would run outside to play with his friends.
(d) He did his chores.
14. Where did Jacques' mother live?
(a) In a little cottage.
(b) Right near the beach.
(c) In the house where he grew up.
(d) In the nursing home.
15. What did Malan think about marriage?
(a) He doesn't like to contemplate the thought of marriage.
(b) He loved his wife.
(c) He didn't see how any spouses could love each other.
(d) He thinks marriage is a waste of time.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was the wife in pain as they traveled?
2. How did the husband respond to the wife?
3. Why did Jacques go to visit his father?
4. How did they split the fries?
5. Why was it difficult for Catherine to understand the films?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)