|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jacques think about Henri's early death?
(a) He thinks it's tragic.
(b) He thinks that's what one deserves when he goes off to war.
(c) He is sad when thinking about the joys in life that Henri missed.
(d) He thinks he was spared suffering.
2. What was Jacques' job at the theater?
(a) He helped seat everyone.
(b) He was in charge of telling the family when the film was about to begin.
(c) He ran and got the snacks for his family.
(d) He read the captions to his grandmother.
3. How did they split the fries?
(a) They each got an even share.
(b) They didn't share, and the ones without money had to watch the other boys eat.
(c) They boy who bought got half, and the rest was split evenly.
(d) Each boy got one fry, and the one who bought them got the rest.
4. How did the wife respond to her pain.
(a) She screamed.
(b) She tried not to show it.
(c) She wouldn't stop complaining.
(d) She ignored it.
5. Why did he like his small town?
(a) It didn't distract him from his solitary meditation.
(b) He hated city pollution.
(c) He felt secure.
(d) He liked knowing his neighbors.
6. What does Malan think about Henri's early death?
(a) He is sad when thinking about the joys in life that Henri missed.
(b) He thinks he was spared suffering.
(c) He thinks that's what one deserves when he goes off to war.
(d) He thinks it's tragic.
7. What was the population like around their new home?
(a) There weren't many people.
(b) There were a few people, but the people shunned them.
(c) It was a friendly neighborhood where families stayed outside in the evenings to talk.
(d) It was a city.
8. What year did the husband and wife move from Algiers?
9. How did Jacques' grandmother respond to his escapades?
(a) She wanted to join him next time.
(b) She sent him to his room.
(c) She whipped him.
(d) She laughed at them.
10. Why was Lucie afraid?
(a) She had nightmares about her husband's death when she slept.
(b) She didn't want to die.
(c) She was worried that she wouldn't have money to survive.
(d) Two bombs had exploded in her area that week.
11. What does Malan laugh with Jacques about?
(a) He teases Jacques about the food they are eating.
(b) He tells Jacques to get a job in the same school he works in.
(c) He teases Jacques about his crush on the woman at the train station.
(d) He tells Jacques to go to his mom to find out more about his dad.
12. What sound did Jacques hear before he left the graveyard?
(a) He heard an explosion as an invisible plane broke the sound barrier.
(b) He heard birds preparing for the night.
(c) He heard a car crash.
(d) He heard his father's voice whispering to him.
13. How did Henri react to the execution he witnessed?
(a) He was livid and vomited.
(b) He slipped into a depression after it.
(c) He thought it was exciting.
(d) It made him decide to get more involved in politics.
14. How would Jacques learn more about his father?
(a) From his mother.
(b) He would have to research the man on his own.
(c) From his uncle.
(d) From his grandmother.
15. Why did the women laugh when the doctor arrived?
(a) He was joking with them.
(b) He looked like a drowned rat.
(c) They thought he was a fool.
(d) The baby was already born.
Short Answer Questions
1. What aura did the man emanate?
2. What did Jacques like about Malan?
3. How did Jacques' discovery about his father change his feelings toward him?
4. How did the man react to those traveling near him?
5. What is one of Malan's faults according to Jacques?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)