|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Jacques go to visit his father?
(a) He wanted to tell his dad how he felt.
(b) His mother had asked him to.
(c) He wanted to find out more about the man.
(d) He wanted to make peace with his father.
2. What was Jacques' job at the theater?
(a) He read the captions to his grandmother.
(b) He helped seat everyone.
(c) He ran and got the snacks for his family.
(d) He was in charge of telling the family when the film was about to begin.
3. What did Jacques like about Malan?
(a) He really reached out and cared for others.
(b) He did his own thing.
(c) He could do any type of job necessary.
(d) He was super intelligent.
4. Why didn't Jacques' grandmother want him to play soccer?
(a) It ruined his boots.
(b) She thought he should be studying.
(c) She didn't like the children he was playing with.
(d) She thought he should be working.
5. Where did he and his friends stop on the way to the field?
(a) The market.
(b) The candy store.
(c) The post office.
(d) The waterspout.
6. How old is Malan?
7. How did Jacques' grandmother respond to his escapades?
(a) She whipped him.
(b) She laughed at them.
(c) She wanted to join him next time.
(d) She sent him to his room.
8. How does Malan describe Jacques?
9. Where did Jacques' mother live?
(a) In a little cottage.
(b) In the house where he grew up.
(c) In the nursing home.
(d) Right near the beach.
10. What was the population like around their new home?
(a) There weren't many people.
(b) There were a few people, but the people shunned them.
(c) It was a city.
(d) It was a friendly neighborhood where families stayed outside in the evenings to talk.
11. How did Jacques feel about Paris?
(a) He didn't like it.
(b) He loved it.
(c) He refused to go back there.
(d) He thrived in the atmosphere of the city.
12. What does Jacques tell Malan he's willing to give him?
(a) Everything he has.
(b) Money for a train ride.
(c) Rent money.
13. How did Jacques' mother seem as she gazed out the window?
14. Where was Henri's family from?
15. What did Lucie do in the evenings when Etienne wasn't there?
(a) She read.
(b) She lies down doing nothing.
(c) She knitted a blanket.
(d) She called her family members on the phone.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did they name the child?
2. Where would all the children gather?
3. How did Henri react to the execution he witnessed?
4. How did the man surprise the chambermaid at the hotel?
5. How does Malan feel about Jacques finding out more about his father?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)