|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Jacques' job at the theater?
(a) He read the captions to his grandmother.
(b) He helped seat everyone.
(c) He ran and got the snacks for his family.
(d) He was in charge of telling the family when the film was about to begin.
2. What was the weather like as Lucie and her husband traveled to their new home?
(a) A tornado was chasing them.
(b) It was starting to snow.
(c) It was raining.
(d) It was a beautiful day.
3. Why was it difficult for Catherine to understand the films?
(a) The actor's vocabulary was too advanced for her.
(b) She couldn't hear.
(c) She was distracted by the children around her.
(d) She was illiterate.
4. How did the man react to all the waiting he had to do in his travels?
(a) He was patient.
(b) He became depressed.
(c) It made him angry, and he started yelling at the others in line.
(d) He demanded to talk with the manager.
5. How did Jacques feel about siestas?
(a) He found them relaxing and pleasant.
(b) He knew he needed them.
(c) He hated them.
(d) He looked forward to going to bed.
6. How did Jacques feel about Paris?
(a) He didn't like it.
(b) He loved it.
(c) He refused to go back there.
(d) He thrived in the atmosphere of the city.
7. What couldn't Jacques control?
(a) His violent temper.
(b) His fear of water.
(c) His body as he tried to play games.
(d) His desire for candy.
8. How were Jacques and his father similar?
(a) They both were farmers.
(b) They both loved art.
(c) Jacques looked like his father.
(d) They were both soldiers.
9. How did Jacques' discovery about his father change his feelings toward him?
(a) His hero-worship turned to disdain.
(b) He felt compassion for the man instead of ambivalence.
(c) It helped him understand the man more.
(d) He suddenly regretted that he never really knew his father.
10. What token did Lucie receive from the war?
(a) Her husband's uniform.
(b) A shell fragment from her husband's skull.
(c) Her husband's boots.
(d) A medal.
11. Why does Jacques say he's different around Malan?
(a) Malan has a way of making him feel stupid.
(b) He loves Malan.
(c) Malan has a way of making him feel smarter.
(d) Malan commands respect.
12. What was Jacques like with his mother?
(a) They loved each other very much.
(b) It was a polite yet distant relationship.
(c) It was a strained relationship.
(d) They refused to see each other.
13. How did Max gain his popularity?
(a) He stole candy for them.
(b) He was a spy for the group.
(c) He punched Gigot.
(d) He was amazing at sports.
14. What does Malan laugh with Jacques about?
(a) He tells Jacques to get a job in the same school he works in.
(b) He tells Jacques to go to his mom to find out more about his dad.
(c) He teases Jacques about his crush on the woman at the train station.
(d) He teases Jacques about the food they are eating.
15. What year did the husband and wife move from Algiers?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jacques tell Malan he's willing to give him?
2. How did Henri react to the execution he witnessed?
3. What did Malan look like?
4. How does Malan feel about Jacques finding out more about his father?
5. Where did the husband go to find a doctor?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)