|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Jacques say he's different around Malan?
(a) Malan commands respect.
(b) Malan has a way of making him feel smarter.
(c) He loves Malan.
(d) Malan has a way of making him feel stupid.
2. Where did the traveler walk to when he left his hotel?
(a) The park.
(b) The movie theater.
(c) The cemetery.
(d) The grocery store.
3. What was the weather like as Lucie and her husband traveled to their new home?
(a) It was starting to snow.
(b) It was a beautiful day.
(c) A tornado was chasing them.
(d) It was raining.
4. Where did the boys sneak away to in the summer?
(a) The ball field.
(b) The market.
(c) The stables.
(d) The beach.
5. How did Jacques feel about his father?
(a) He respected his father.
(b) He considered his father to be his hero.
(c) He resented his father's leaving.
(d) He didn't feel much of anything since he never really knew him.
6. What disability did Jacques's uncle have?
(a) He was a mute.
(b) He was blind.
(c) He was deaf.
(d) He was half mute.
7. How did the man react to those traveling near him?
(a) He stayed as far away from them as possible.
(b) He pulled out a magazine and kept to himself.
(c) He mentally made up stories about each one them.
(d) He tried to talk with everyone.
8. What did Lucie think about movies?
(a) She appreciated her escape from reality.
(b) She wanted to be a movie star.
(c) She felt that the theater was too crowded.
(d) The theater wasn't a treat for her.
9. According to Jacques' grandmother, what illness did Lucie have when she was young?
(a) Chicken pox.
(c) The flu.
10. How did Jacques' grandmother respond to his escapades?
(a) She sent him to his room.
(b) She laughed at them.
(c) She wanted to join him next time.
(d) She whipped him.
11. How did Jacques' discovery about his father change his feelings toward him?
(a) He suddenly regretted that he never really knew his father.
(b) He felt compassion for the man instead of ambivalence.
(c) It helped him understand the man more.
(d) His hero-worship turned to disdain.
12. Why did Jacques go to visit his father?
(a) He wanted to find out more about the man.
(b) He wanted to make peace with his father.
(c) He wanted to tell his dad how he felt.
(d) His mother had asked him to.
13. What did Jacques realize about his father?
(a) He was younger than Jacques when he died.
(b) His father made a positive impact on many people's lives.
(c) The man was prone to anger.
(d) His father was a hero to many.
14. Why was it difficult for Catherine to understand the films?
(a) She was distracted by the children around her.
(b) The actor's vocabulary was too advanced for her.
(c) She was illiterate.
(d) She couldn't hear.
15. Where did he and his friends stop on the way to the field?
(a) The market.
(b) The post office.
(c) The candy store.
(d) The waterspout.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Henri react to the execution he witnessed?
2. What does Malan think about Henri's early death?
3. How did Jacques feel about being on a boat?
4. How did Lucie and her husband travel on the last stage of their trip to their new home?
5. How did Jacques feel about Paris?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)