|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did he like his small town?
(a) He felt secure.
(b) He liked knowing his neighbors.
(c) He hated city pollution.
(d) It didn't distract him from his solitary meditation.
2. How did they split the fries?
(a) They didn't share, and the ones without money had to watch the other boys eat.
(b) Each boy got one fry, and the one who bought them got the rest.
(c) They each got an even share.
(d) They boy who bought got half, and the rest was split evenly.
3. What was the baby like?
(a) It was a sturdy boy.
(b) It was a sturdy girl.
(c) It was a sickly boy.
(d) It was a sickly girl.
4. How did Jacques feel about Paris?
(a) He didn't like it.
(b) He refused to go back there.
(c) He thrived in the atmosphere of the city.
(d) He loved it.
5. What was Victor Malan's job?
(b) Customs administration.
6. What did Jacques like about Malan?
(a) He could do any type of job necessary.
(b) He was super intelligent.
(c) He did his own thing.
(d) He really reached out and cared for others.
7. How did the wife respond to her pain.
(a) She tried not to show it.
(b) She ignored it.
(c) She wouldn't stop complaining.
(d) She screamed.
8. What did Lucie think about movies?
(a) She appreciated her escape from reality.
(b) The theater wasn't a treat for her.
(c) She wanted to be a movie star.
(d) She felt that the theater was too crowded.
9. What does Jacques tell Malan he's willing to give him?
(a) Everything he has.
(b) Money for a train ride.
(c) Rent money.
10. How did Jacques feel about siestas?
(a) He found them relaxing and pleasant.
(b) He knew he needed them.
(c) He looked forward to going to bed.
(d) He hated them.
11. What handicap did Lucie have?
(a) She couldn't speak.
(b) She was blind.
(c) She was lame.
(d) She couldn't hear.
12. What did Jacques do after siesta when he was young?
(a) He did his schoolwork.
(b) He went to work at the market.
(c) He did his chores.
(d) He would run outside to play with his friends.
13. What message did he give Jacques?
(a) We never really know people even when we think we know them.
(b) Education is more important than anything on Earth.
(c) There is no relationship better than that between a father and son.
(d) Stay away from marriage.
14. How did Jacques' mother seem as she gazed out the window?
15. Why did Malan ask for forgiveness?
(a) Sometimes he doesn't know how to respond to caring.
(b) Sometimes he cares too much.
(c) He doesn't understand what Jacques is going through.
(d) He is a bitter man.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Jacques feel when the evening came?
2. How did Jacques feel about going back to Algiers?
3. What is one of Malan's faults according to Jacques?
4. How were the children in the theater kept in line?
5. What game was Pierre good at?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)