|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Jacques' grandmother respond to his escapades?
(a) She laughed at them.
(b) She whipped him.
(c) She wanted to join him next time.
(d) She sent him to his room.
2. How did the man react to those traveling near him?
(a) He pulled out a magazine and kept to himself.
(b) He tried to talk with everyone.
(c) He mentally made up stories about each one them.
(d) He stayed as far away from them as possible.
3. How did Henri react to the execution he witnessed?
(a) He thought it was exciting.
(b) It made him decide to get more involved in politics.
(c) He slipped into a depression after it.
(d) He was livid and vomited.
4. How did Jacques feel about Paris?
(a) He didn't like it.
(b) He thrived in the atmosphere of the city.
(c) He loved it.
(d) He refused to go back there.
5. How did Henri feel about some of the actions he saw in the war?
(a) He was disgusted but not surprised.
(b) He accepted the actions as something soldiers must do.
(c) He thought the enemy deserved all they got.
(d) He was horrified and said no man would act like that.
6. Where did he and his friends stop on the way to the field?
(a) The post office.
(b) The candy store.
(c) The waterspout.
(d) The market.
7. How did Jacques' discovery about his father change his feelings toward him?
(a) His hero-worship turned to disdain.
(b) He suddenly regretted that he never really knew his father.
(c) He felt compassion for the man instead of ambivalence.
(d) It helped him understand the man more.
8. What message did he give Jacques?
(a) Education is more important than anything on Earth.
(b) There is no relationship better than that between a father and son.
(c) Stay away from marriage.
(d) We never really know people even when we think we know them.
9. What was the weather like as Lucie and her husband traveled to their new home?
(a) It was raining.
(b) It was a beautiful day.
(c) It was starting to snow.
(d) A tornado was chasing them.
10. What is one of Malan's faults according to Jacques?
(a) He is too arrogant.
(b) He doesn't realize others aren't as smart as he is.
(c) He eats too much.
(d) He it thrifty.
11. What was Jacques' job at the theater?
(a) He was in charge of telling the family when the film was about to begin.
(b) He helped seat everyone.
(c) He ran and got the snacks for his family.
(d) He read the captions to his grandmother.
12. Where did Jacques' mother live?
(a) Right near the beach.
(b) In a little cottage.
(c) In the nursing home.
(d) In the house where he grew up.
13. What did the children do in their meeting place?
(a) They made plans for mischief.
(b) They created gaming strategies.
(c) They shared candy and made forts.
(d) They talked about their future.
14. Where did the traveler walk to when he left his hotel?
(a) The park.
(b) The grocery store.
(c) The movie theater.
(d) The cemetery.
15. What part of the cemetery did the traveler specifically go to?
(a) The section for the elitists.
(b) The section for the unsaved souls.
(c) The section for those who died in the war or 1914.
(d) The section for the homeless.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the mattress in the new house like?
2. What did Jacques realize about his grandmother?
3. Why was Lucie afraid?
4. How did Lucie and her husband travel on the last stage of their trip to their new home?
5. Why did the women laugh when the doctor arrived?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)