|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first language of man according to Rousseau?
2. What power does Rousseau want the citizens of the cities to be able to do?
3. What does the savage man constantly focuses on?
4. What do differing forms of government result from according to Rousseau?
5. According to Rousseau, what is the first step to uncover the nature of inequality?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rousseau discuss during his analysis of the metaphysical or moral side of man?
2. What is the savage man's nature?
3. What happens as family grows?
4. What does Rousseau begin by supposing in Chapter 4?
5. What does nature give man?
6. How does Rousseau proceed in his discussion on the state of nature?
7. How does Chapter 3 open?
8. What does Rousseau lament in Chapter 3?
9. What are the two types of inequality among humans presented by Rousseau in Chapter 4?
10. What does natural inequality produce, according to Rousseau?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In an essay, discuss Rousseau's ideas regarding the arts and sciences as causing corruption and conclude whether you agree or disagree, using modern examples and secondary sources to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Rousseau describes enlightenment, including the development of human reasoning, language, and mental capacities in an essay. Use the text to support your analysis.
Essay Topic 3
In an essay, discuss the criticism of Rousseau's arguments, particularly of how man is corrupted by civilization. Using secondary sources to support your analysis, discuss why his conclusions were correct or incorrect.
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)