|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the human owe many of their ideas to according to Rousseau?
2. What does not arise when men become dependent on one another?
3. What does Rousseau say about relating the different types of inequality?
4. What does Rousseau say of the human animal?
5. What does Rousseau suppose concerning men at the start of Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Chapter 3 open?
2. How does Rousseau proceed in his discussion on the state of nature?
3. What does Rousseau discuss during his analysis of the metaphysical or moral side of man?
4. What do humans owe their ideas to, according to Rousseau?
5. What is fraught with challenges according to Rousseau?
6. What happens as family grows?
7. What is the savage man's nature?
8. What natural enemies does man have, according to Rousseau?
9. What does Rousseau seek to uncover according to Chapter 3?
10. What does Rousseau claim about the rich or the wealthy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In an essay, discuss Rousseau's definition of a "savage man" and outline the attributes of a savage. Use the text to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
In an essay, discuss how needs are the driving force behind modern society and the results of such needs. Use the text to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
In an essay, Rousseau discusses how securing freedom of citizens is the sole purpose of the state. Discuss the role of the state and compare the types of government. Use the text to support your discussion.
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)