|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rousseau argue does not enter into consideration when a nation is formed by men?
2. Who does Rousseau say does not exhibit conditions to the same degree as modern man?
3. What produces economic inequality according to Rousseau?
4. What can magistrates easily usurp according to Rousseau?
5. What is the first language of man according to Rousseau?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do humans owe their ideas to, according to Rousseau?
2. What does Rousseau argue about humanity at the end of Chapter 3?
3. What happens as men acquire more?
4. What does Rousseau believe about those who create property rights in Chapter 5?
5. How does Rousseau proceed in his discussion on the state of nature?
6. What happens as family grows?
7. What does nature give man?
8. What does Rousseau have high hopes for?
9. What natural enemies does man have, according to Rousseau?
10. What happens when we give up liberty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Rousseau describes enlightenment, including the development of human reasoning, language, and mental capacities in an essay. Use the text to support your analysis.
Essay Topic 2
In an essay, discuss what Rousseau thinks about natural right in relation to natural law, giving examples from the text to support your conclusions. Use the text to support your statements.
Essay Topic 3
In an essay, Rousseau discusses how securing freedom of citizens is the sole purpose of the state. Discuss the role of the state and compare the types of government. Use the text to support your discussion.
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)