|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which place does the Dedication praise as a virtuous republic?
2. How does Rousseau say science produces war?
3. What are the two laws of nature and natural right according to Rousseau?
4. How does Rousseau qualify the relationship between the restrictions imposed by arts and sciences and their influence on society?
5. How many sections does the Introduction say the Second Discourse has?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rousseau argue about his society according to the Introduction?
2. What does Rousseau believe about the growing size of society?
3. How does Rousseau explain the nature of man in relation to art?
4. What does Rousseau state about artists?
5. What does Rousseau state has fallen apart in Chapter 1?
6. What examples of vanity does Rousseau give in Chapter 2?
7. What claim about civilization is made at the start of Chapter 2?
8. Why is Rousseau concerned about children?
9. At the start of Chapter 1, what is Rousseau concerned about?
10. What is at the heart of Rousseau's philosophy, according to the Introduction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In an essay, discuss how needs are the driving force behind modern society and the results of such needs. Use the text to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
In an essay, discuss the difference between the savage man and the modern man as introduced by Rousseau and make sure to examine the similarities and differences, as well as influences of each.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Rousseau's view of suffering as discussed in Chapter 6 and examine both the causes and effects of suffering. Students should use the text to support their statements.
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)