|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rousseau wonder is improved or undermined by restoring the arts and sciences?
2. What follows the spread of knowledge according to the First Discourse?
3. What does luxury generate according to Rousseau?
(a) Good men.
(c) Free time.
4. What does Rousseau say is hidden in society?
(a) A chariot of intelligence.
(b) A train of vices.
(c) A boatload of art.
(d) A car of knowledge.
5. What does Rousseau argue generates ethics?
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the growing illegalities based on according to Rousseau?
2. What civilizations does Rousseau use to demonstrate his point on morality?
3. What is Chapter 1 about?
4. What were Hobbes, Spinoza and Locke critiquing?
5. What does Rousseau say that the men will soon require?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rousseau believe about time?
2. What claim about civilization is made at the start of Chapter 2?
3. Why is Rousseau concerned about children?
4. What paradox does Rousseau discuss in Chapter 1?
5. At the end of Chapter 2, what does Rousseau believe about talented people?
6. How does Rousseau depict men of today?
7. What does Rousseau believe about the growing size of society?
8. What alarming consequences does science have, according to Chapter 2?
9. What does the First Discourse argue?
10. What are three main influences on Rousseau's work, according to the Introduction?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)