|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rousseau say are divided between amour-propre and primitive emotions?
(a) Repressed men.
(b) Good men.
2. What type of inequality is established by nature?
(b) Political power.
(d) Appreciation of art.
3. What principle does Rousseau think is an extremely important idea in his theory of the person?
(b) Love of others.
(c) Self preservation.
4. Who is Chapter 3 dedicated to?
(a) Rousseau's mother.
(b) Rousseau's ruler.
(c) Rousseau's brother.
(d) Rousseau's sister.
5. What does inequality of wealth and condition produce?
(b) Bad Laws.
(c) An economic drift.
6. What does Rousseau say about the interests of the ruler and the people in the perfect city he would choose as birthplace?
(a) The interests of the people are more important.
(b) They are united.
(c) They are different.
(d) The interests of the ruler are more important.
7. What type of government arises when inequality is the weakest?
8. What is man capable of doing according to Rousseau?
(a) Improving oneself.
(b) Ignoring the obvious.
(c) Loving others.
(d) Killing others.
9. What does Rousseau say of the needs and goals of the society compared to that of the government?
(a) They might not be the same.
(b) They are always the same.
(c) The needs of the government trump the ones of the people.
(d) The people should require that his needs be taken into account.
10. How does Rousseau want to live his life?
(a) In freedom.
11. What produces economic inequality according to Rousseau?
(b) Natural inequality.
12. What does Rousseau say about relating the different types of inequality?
(a) It is easy.
(b) It is impossible.
(c) Only Rousseau can do it.
(d) It cannot be achieved by a non-philosopher.
13. Why do the rich produce the state according to Rousseau?
(a) They want power.
(b) They have much to lose.
(c) They need to bind the poor with laws.
(d) They need banks.
14. What follows the heels of metallurgy and agriculture?
(c) Slavery and misery.
(d) The industrial revolution.
15. What does natural sentiment lead to according to Rousseau?
(c) Respecting the law.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who should the law rule in Rousseau's perfect city?
2. What does Rousseau say removes men from reality?
3. What does not preserve liberty according to Rousseau?
4. What do not have regular form according to Rousseau?
5. Who does Rousseau say does not exhibit conditions to the same degree as modern man?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)