|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Rousseau qualify the relationship between the restrictions imposed by arts and sciences and their influence on society?
(d) A thing of the past.
2. What does laziness do to men according to Rousseau?
(a) Regress them to the state of nature.
(b) Makes them philosophers.
(c) Makes them into thieves.
(d) Turn them into artists.
3. What does Rousseau say men can hide from open discernment?
(a) Their motives.
(c) Their incompetence.
(d) Their love of God.
4. How would artists feel if they were to work amongst those who hate their work according to Rousseau?
5. What does science prevent the production of according to Rousseau?
(a) Good leader.
(c) Worldly goods.
(d) Good men.
6. Why do men separate themselves according to Rousseau?
(a) To think good thoughts.
(b) To plot against others.
(c) To play.
(d) To hide their vice.
7. What does Rousseau say sciences does not improve?
8. What does Rousseau say became of arts and sciences?
(b) A ghetto for rich people.
(c) Easy to access.
9. Where was Rousseau born according to the Introduction?
10. What follows the spread of knowledge according to the First Discourse?
11. What does Rousseau argue generates physics?
12. What does Rousseau argue generates ethics?
13. What does Rousseau say matters little in the pursuit of virtue?
14. What is Chapter 1 about?
(a) Democracy versus republic.
(b) The best age to have children working.
(c) Relation between rulers and citizens.
(d) Moral effects of the arts and sciences.
15. How can what Rousseau say fell apart survive under?
(a) Law and government.
(b) His guidance.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rousseau say humanity possessed even before the advent of art?
2. What should academies organize society around?
3. How does the Introduction classify both Hobbes and Locke?
4. What contradiction was Rousseau trying to illuminate?
5. What does Rousseau say at the end of Chapter 1 might contradict virtue?
This section contains 349 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)