|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rousseau say men can hide from open discernment?
(a) Their motives.
(b) Their love of God.
(d) Their incompetence.
2. What does Rousseau say that the men will soon require?
3. What is needed by the law according to Rousseau?
4. What does Rousseau say the increase of knowledge helps generate?
(a) Time for vice.
(c) Worthy philosophers.
(d) Good behavior.
5. What does Rousseau say men can do in the present?
(a) Read Rousseau's book.
(b) Appreciate arts.
(c) Understand sciences.
6. What are the growing illegalities based on according to Rousseau?
(b) The social political make-up of the time.
(c) Talents of men.
(d) Country of origin.
7. What does Rousseau argue the arts force men to recognize?
(a) The greatness of their leaders.
(b) Their piety.
(d) Their own weakness.
8. How can what Rousseau say fell apart survive under?
(b) Law and government.
(d) His guidance.
9. What question does Rousseau try to answer about society?
(a) Is society good for animals?
(b) Is society ready for change?
(c) Is society accepting the rule of the kings?
(d) Is society good for men?
10. What does Rousseau say sciences does not improve?
11. What does Rousseau say men came to love?
(b) The restriction imposed by arts and sciences.
12. What is, in science, more likely to result from speculation than truth?
(c) A workable product.
(d) Receiving research funding.
13. What does Rousseau argue generates ethics?
14. What does the pursuit of art and science not teach citizens?
(a) To take care of themselves.
(b) To be virtuous.
(c) To grow their own food.
(d) To question authority.
15. What was the most popular form of government in Europe during Rousseau's time?
(b) Enlightened Despotism.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which place does the Dedication praise as a virtuous republic?
2. What does Rousseau say arts and sciences restrict?
3. What does Rousseau argue enlightenment usually produces?
4. What should academies organize society around?
5. What fell apart according to Rousseau?
This section contains 358 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)