|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, A Discourse on the Moral Effects of the Arts and Sciences, Part II.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What fell apart according to Rousseau?
(a) The upperclass way of life.
(b) Totalitarian government.
(c) The French monarchy.
(d) Arts and sciences.
2. What follows the spread of knowledge according to the First Discourse?
3. What example does Rousseau use to demonstrate the link between free time and vanity?
(a) The Frank empire.
(b) Roman emperors.
(d) Cyprian king.
4. What does Rousseau argue the arts force men to recognize?
(a) Their own weakness.
(b) The greatness of their leaders.
(d) Their piety.
5. What does Rousseau argue about the the society in which he was living in the First Discourse?
(a) It is morally depraved.
(b) It has high moral standards.
(c) It is on the brink of chaos.
(d) It is as perfect as it can be.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Rousseau die?
2. What does Rousseau say sciences does not improve?
3. What question does Rousseau try to answer about society?
4. What did the "philosophes" think would happen to a society where false beliefs wither?
5. What does science prevent the production of according to Rousseau?
This section contains 214 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)