|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, A Discourse on the Moral Effects of the Arts and Sciences, Part II.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rousseau say at the end of Chapter 1 might contradict virtue?
2. What was the most popular form of government in Europe during Rousseau's time?
(b) Enlightened Despotism.
3. What is needed by the law according to Rousseau?
4. What does Rousseau argue science often begins with in Chapter 2?
(a) Lack of knowledge.
(c) Desire for power.
(d) Need for new weapons.
5. What Saint influenced Rousseau's vision?
(a) Saint Thomas.
(b) Saint John of the Cross
(c) Saint Augustine.
(d) Saint Thomas Aquinas.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the growing illegalities based on according to Rousseau?
2. What does Rousseau say sciences does not improve?
3. What did Rousseau use to counterbalance the potential good of modernity?
4. What contradiction was Rousseau trying to illuminate?
5. What is not superior to the present day?
This section contains 194 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)