|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1, A Discourse on the Moral Effects of the Arts and Sciences, Part I.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rousseau say became of arts and sciences?
(b) A ghetto for rich people.
(d) Easy to access.
2. What did Rousseau use to counterbalance the potential good of modernity?
(a) The potential for democracy to fail.
(b) The potential for modernity to revert to savagery.
(c) The potential for modernity to annihilate itself.
(d) The potential for the kings of Europe to crush any philosophical movement.
3. What does Rousseau argue the arts force men to recognize?
(b) Their piety.
(c) The greatness of their leaders.
(d) Their own weakness.
4. What does Rousseau say arts and sciences restrict?
(a) Ability to think.
5. What does Rousseau say might result only in ignorance?
(a) Bad education
(b) Studying art.
(c) Moral behavior.
(d) Blindly following the philosophers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What displays apparent contradiction between virtue and enlightenment according to Rousseau in the First Discourse?
2. What does Rousseau say at the end of Chapter 1 might contradict virtue?
3. Why does Rousseau reject the notion of natural law?
4. What does Rousseau say is the reason for the increase he saw in France?
5. What is not superior to the present day?
This section contains 249 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)